Eldritch Strike Knight - Capture the Flag 4e style.

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
A while back I basically hijacked another thread on the subject of eldritch strike cavaliers and knights. Ended up being pretty rude to acletis in the process at the same time too (apologies for that) I said I would post up a build at some point in an appropriate seperate thread. never really got around to it. Here it is, feel free to ignore (or hijackWink ) Its probably utter crap anyways. 

Build at level 11:
Show

===== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

level 11
Half-Elf, Fighter (Knight), Stalwart Knight
Knight Option: Shield Finesse
Knight Weapon Specialization Option: Bladed Step
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Dilettante
Recent Life - Mercenary Work (+2 to Endurance)
Theme: Mercenary

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 23, DEX 11, INT 9, WIS 11, CHA 19

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 18, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 14

AC: 28 Fort: 27 Ref: 21 Will: 23
HP: 98 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +16, Endurance +16, Intimidate +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Arcana +4, Athletics +4, Bluff +9, Dungeoneering +5, Heal +5, History +4, Insight +7, Nature +5, Perception +5, Religion +4, Stealth +3, Streetwise +11, Thievery +3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Mercenary Attack: Takedown Strike
Fighter Attack: Battle Guardian
Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura
Fighter Utility: Defend the Line
Fighter Utility: Cleaving Assault
Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike
Fighter Utility: Poised Assault
Warlock's Curse Power: Warlock's Curse
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Fighter Utility 2: Glowering Threat
Fighter Utility 6: Dauntless Endurance
Fighter Utility 8: Shield Block
Warlock Utility 10: Ethereal Sidestep

FEATS
Shield Finesse
Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise
Level 2: World Serpent's Grasp
Level 4: Improved Defenses
Level 6: Student of Malediction
Level 8: White Lotus Riposte
Level 10: Acolyte Power
Level 11: Versatile Master

ITEMS
Battle Standard of the Hungry Blade
Rubicant Blade Longsword +2 x1
Cloak of Translocation +2 x1
Veteran's Plate Armor +2 x1
Bracers of Mighty Striking (heroic tier) x1
Heavy Shield x1
====== End ======

Primary item making this a "black hole":

Show

Battle Standard of the Hungry BladeLevel 9 Uncommon

This black pennant bears the symbol of the hungry blade: an axe head with a toothy maw that resembles the silhouette of a dragon's head.

Wondrous Item        4,200 gp

Power (Zone)  Encounter (Standard Action)

When you plant this battle standard in your space or an adjacent square, it creates a zone in a close burst 3. Enemies within the zone when it is created or within the zone at the start of your turn are pulled 2 squares toward the battle standard and slowed until the start of your next turn.

The zone lasts until the end of the encounter or until the battle standard is removed from the ground. Any character in or adjacent to the battle standard's square can remove it from the ground as a standard action. If an enemy attempts to remove the standard, it provokes opportunity attacks from you and your allies.

Published in Dragon Magazine 381, page(s) 97.

Why Multiclass Warlock?:

This opens up large defense boosts (and combat advantage) against adjacent enemies due to invisibility. Assuming I understand the rules correctly… You can change ethereal stride into a 2 square teleport to leave your current square and then return to it invisible to enemies adjacent to that square. Teleporting also provides a defense buff from the cloak of translocation.

This also gets the “White lotus Master Riposte” combo going as eldritch strike will be your primary melee basic attack and your defender aura doesn’t actually mark.

Primary Stances: 

Cleaving Assault – Might be worthwhile for mining clearing or if you are constantly getting off turn attacks (The Battle standard provides slowing if needed)

Defend the Line- The default slowing stance.

First Turn Actions: (activate and sustain a stance before battle if possible)

Minor – Activate Defender Aura

Move- Move into Burst 3 of multiple enemies

Standard: Drop the battle standard (in your same square). Enemies within burst 3 are pulled 2 and slowed. This effect repeats itself at the start of every one of your turns until it is removed from the ground:

Following Turns:

Use Ethereal stride to teleport, ending each move in the same square as the flag.

The catch 22:

1)      Attack the fighter: The fighter will likely be invisible. If he recently attacked that enemy, the enemy will take damage due to white lotus riposte (White lotus master riposte comes into play later in paragon)

2)      Attempts to move away: Provokes a eldritch strike melee basic (+ Stance effect)

3)      Attacks an ally but not the fighter:  Provokes a eldritch strike melee basic (+ Stance effect)

4)      Attempts to grab the flag: Provokes a eldritch strike melee basic (+ Stance effect) and the enemy can be slid one square away preventing a success  at claiming the flag.

Eldritch Strike Melee Basic

Hit: Target is slid one square. White lotus riposte discourages attacking the fighter later. Target can be slowed with defend the line (if already not under the effect of the battle standard) Target is knocked prone:

How this is a black hole:

The battle standard causes all enemies within 3 squares to be pulled 2 squares. In  order to escape the effect they would need to move 3 squares. Unfortunately the standard also causes the enemy to be slowed (Speed = 2). Leaving would then normally require additional move actions (or a charge). However,  The knights punishments would cause them to be proned and slid one square back towards the knight.

Issues:

Normal E-defender problems with teleports and forced movement. Don’t see the way around this. 

oh god the formatting my eyes
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
feyslaughter weapon.  Use the rubicant as armblades or something.
At what level would this build first become viable? Seems like a pretty fun idea.
11 for half elf.
You can't charge with Etherial Stride.

Works better as Flail build (two slides, or slide+prone).

This build exists, in a slightly out-dated version, as the Super Knight and the Super Duper Knight by Mellored. Both are vastly superior to this version.
My lvl 16 LFR version without White Lotus Shenanigans.    Most of the time I use my standard to just total D unless I need to reposition an enemy.  You can easily teleport up 1 square to never leave your square. You can even cheese with antipathy gloves and they will essentialy never go anywhere if you want but I prefer the +1 to OAs from strikebacks.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Bielos, level 16
Half-Elf, Fighter (Knight), Evermeet Warlock
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Knight Option: Shield Finesse
Knight Weapon Specialization Option: Staggering Hammer
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Dilettante
Spellscarred
Cloistered Priest (Cloistered Priest Benefit)
Theme: Order Adept

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 16, DEX 20, INT 9, WIS 11, CHA 22

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 13, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 16

AC: 39 Fort: 37 Ref: 37 Will: 40 (Helm of able Defense + Total Defense)
AC: 37 Fort: 35 Ref: 35 Will: 38 (Helm of able Defense)
AC: 35 Fort: 33 Ref: 33 Will: 36
HP: 121 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 30

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +14, Intimidate +19, Religion +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Arcana +11, Athletics +7, Bluff +14, Diplomacy +16, Dungeoneering +8, Heal +8, History +7, Insight +10, Nature +8, Perception +8, Stealth +11, Streetwise +14, Thievery +11

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Order Adept Attack: Argent Rain
Fighter Attack: Battle Guardian
Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura
Fighter Utility: Defend the Line
Fighter Utility: Poised Assault
Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike
Fighter Utility: Measured Cut
Warlock's Curse  Power: Warlock's Curse
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Fighter Utility 2: Glowering Threat
Fighter Utility 6: Ignore Weakness
Religion Utility 6: Deliverance of Faith
Fighter Attack 7: Come and Get It
Endurance Utility 10: Enter the Crucible
Warlock Utility 10: Ethereal Sidestep
Evermeet Warlock Attack 11: Blinding Beacon
Evermeet Warlock Utility 12: Feylights

FEATS
Shield Finesse
Level 1: Flail Expertise
Level 2: Superior Will
Level 4: Student of Malediction
Level 6: Superior Reflexes
Level 8: Acolyte Power
Level 10: Superior Fortitude
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Stout Shield
Level 14: Reserve Maneuver
Level 16: Encouraging Shield

ITEMS
Heavy Shield x2
Belt of Vim (heroic tier) x1
Boots of Quickness (heroic tier) x1
Dice of Auspicious Fortune
Strikebacks x1
Backlash Tattoo x1
Bracers of Mental Might x1
Sehanine's Mark of the Dark Moon (level 13)
Helm of Able Defense x1
Magic Warplate Armor +4 x1
Amulet of Protection +4 x1
Magic Alhulak +4 x1
Battle Standard of the Hungry Blade
====== End ======
Most of the time I use my standard to just total D unless I need to reposition an enemy.

wut
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Most of the time I use my standard to just total D unless I need to reposition an enemy.

wut

Amen
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Well, it's not like he can do anything useful with that standard action. He's all about the defense.

Wonder what would happen if he played with the same DM more than once. Being ignored is my guess. 
The feat Lashing Flail pretty much invalidates Eldritch Strike while still allowing the Knight to be Str-primary and whatever race you want.
The feat Lashing Flail pretty much invalidates Eldritch Strike while still allowing the Knight to be Str-primary and whatever race you want.

Not really.  Eldritch Strike is Arcane (meaning you can get Quickened Spellcasting in Epic if you MC and Arcane class), and being CON-primary can be kind of a big deal - gives you a massive pile of HP, and frees up your background for something more useful than the usual.  The slides (which you of course boost as much as you can) should allow you to reposition the battlefield very usefully.

There's definitely something to be said for the STR-primary, as tha CON can't poach fighter powers, but I've not found that to be a huge problem with my INT-Knight -  there again, his mobility is ridiculous, and he can reposition enemies a LOT.  I tried MCT on him via Bracers of Mental Might, but the mediocre damage and lack of the usual mark on miss effect on CAGI made it feel not-all-that-useful, and his Power Strikes and PP encounter power (Twist of Space) do repositioning well anyway.

Sotomatic: going full defence is a waste of your standard, and loses you White Lotus, which is very nice on this build.  Your standard actions are for killing things with unless you have a VERY good reason not to.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Super Knight

But redone with flail expertise.  (though impailing spear is pretty good).

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

The whole point of the original thought exercise (when I made it) was to try to find the most effective way to get white lotus master riposte going for a defender build. I didnt look at the revenant as a race. If Super knight already has that going (and Char op has defined it as an ultimate defender) I think I have the answer to that question. 

One area of confusion though:
I dont fully understand what the comment about being unable to charge with ethereal stride. Yes, It cannot be used on the first turn (but also wouldnt be teleporting away from an adjacent enemy on that turn anyways) You should be able to charge in following turns using it to teleport 2 squares, readjusting some things with the power strike feature of heavy blades.  (rubicant blade boosts teleport distance to 2) Anyways thanks for the answer guys.   

@Zatrhis. Formatting always manages to get screwed up whenever I copy/Paste from the compendium. I dont see a way to fix it in the internal "edit" post features of the forumns. It didnt have the formating problem when I wrote it in word....
You can use it to ENABLE yourself to charge - but I think someone inferred that you were attempting to use it for the movement OF the charge, which doesn't work.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Why am I being mentioned about formatting? that was zelink.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Why am I being mentioned about formatting? that was zelink.

uhhh....... because..... uhhhhh.... I screwed up.
WLMR is only meaningful if your damage is high. Hoq is your damage?
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
WLMR is only meaningful if your damage is high. Hoq is your damage?

Damage is not the only relevant factor.

1) The counterattack utilizes an immediate action. Attacks like the rogues low slash dont deal great damage, but they are valuable because they do not tie up a standard action. Is there a better alternative that can be used in multiple rounds?

2) In addition to the damage the builds WLMR would also include a slide and prone (as well as either slowing or an automatic +Con damage to another target depending on stance) I might not do much damage with it but pushing it back into a controllers zone or into flanking with a "headmans chop's" ally has tactical value.

3) Gives me a triggered response to being included in a blast or burst attack along with allies (which normally i could not respond to)

Low Slash is irrelevent if it doesn't do much damage. WLMR is only part of a catch-22 if its feared. And the clear answer to this build is in fact to attack you, to attack you and apply conditions. Which is fairly easy given your low will and reflex, and your lack of Sup. Will.
Low Slash is irrelevent if it doesn't do much damage.

The Handbook rates low slash as Gold based on its accuracy, status effect and damage. The trouble with that rating is that the rogue would have already gained its sneak attack bonus from the standard action attack. Unless you are tricking the build out beyond the basic rapier and armbands, it would not have a significant gain compared to a typical Melee basic attack. WLMS Eldritch would also provide a slide and status effect. Since it is lacking the reflex targeting (which can be brought in later) i would personally rate the combo as Blue in comparison.

baseline KPR formula (per DPR kings thread)   
KPR = DPR/(8*Level + 24)

Eldritch Strike MBA:     1d8 + 6 (Con) + 2 (armbands) + 2 (magic Weapon) + 1 (weapon mastery) = 15.5 Damage (21 if including the automatic damage from the entry riposte feat)

Last i checked the math I should have an accuracy of 85% (Thanks to Invisibility CA) 

21.5 * .85 = 17.85

Monster Health
(Level * 8) +24  = 112

17.85 / 17.85    =  6.27 KPR

Edt: round this down as white lotus riposte doesnt require an attack roll..... 

Yes, I agree, that is not fearable damage. However that needs to vlaued in conjunction with the fact that the target will have "total concealment" and +2 AC/Reflex added to defense. Attacking "Darth Vader" is not a bad idea purely because of the hellish rebuke damage but because that combines with his defenses.

WLMR is only part of a catch-22 if its feared. And the clear answer to this build is in fact to attack you, to attack you and apply conditions. Which is fairly easy given your low will and reflex, and your lack of Sup. Will .

As far as I can see, the Will defense is on par with most defenders at this level (the epic defense feats are not available yet) as an exmaple, at best I see a chaladin running 4 points higher (fighter, warden, swordmage and others would likely be the same). Which is more dangerous: will attacks or reflex? Pick one and pump it. the secondary stat choice was largely arbitary. You can also grab a theme with a +2 power bonus to will instead (i kinda liked the +1 all defenses when bloodied) If WIll is the only ciritical defenses, swap out imporved defenses for it. Encouraging shield can be grabbed later as well.

Before changes:

Will and Reflex (including neck slot boost teleport boost) are currently sitting at Level +12 (does not include +5 from total concealment)

30% / 55% miss chance

Swap the theme and improved defenses and that becomes +15  (does not include +5 from total concealment)  for a 70% miss chance.  

AC is sitting at Level + 19 (including neck slot boost teleport boost), Therotecially level + 24 with total concealment:

Miss Chance (moster attack = Level + 5)=    65% or 90%  

In the end, I am boosting the "dont attack me" side of the defender catch 22. How is that a bad thing?

Rogues don't use rapiers, they use daggers and crit with them, hard. Low Slash is good because it's an extra chance to crit (an extra chance to roll an 18+).

6.27 KPR

Wut? There is something seriously wrong with your maths... (You are not taking out 6 and a bit standards per round)
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Rogues don't use rapiers, they use daggers and crit with them, hard. Low Slash is good because it's an extra chance to crit (an extra chance to roll an 18+).

6.27 KPR

Wut? There is something seriously wrong with your maths... (You are not taking out 6 and a bit standards per round)

Regarding crits and rapiers: Fair enough. 

The Math:   Whoops good catch, Looks like i used the wrong formula. Thats rounds / per kill. I need to revese numerator/denominator:

13.175 + 6 (corrected for WLR auto damage)  /  112  = .17 KPR

Anyone have the baseline expected non-striker KPRs for level 11? (Level x 2) +6 (28 @11) seems a bit too high at this point (.25 KPR).....  

Vader didn't have Hellish Rebuke, nor should defends have Level+10 and Level+12 NADs Concurrently.
Vader didn't have Hellish Rebuke.

Uh yes he does... It is explicity on the build summary between hybrid at-will power 1 and Hybrid encounter power#1 community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

nor should defends have Level+10 and Level+12 NADs Concurrently.

???

Fortitude: Level + 16 (or 21)

Reflex: level + 12 (or 17). Did you not factor in the teleport boost?

Will: Level +12 (or 17) 

Frankly, I doubt most defenders will have signicantly better than +12 in all three defenses at this level (although with a better class and good OP it is feasible) . Epic Reflex/Will/Fort are Epic feats...    

A swordmage|lock can have a minimum of level+15 defences through paragon (including teleport and curse bonuses). If you really need more than that you can go evermeet warlock (rather than sigil carver), considering you want to be teleporting every round anyhow.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Counting Invisible as defensive bonuses in Paragon is silly.
A swordmage|lock can have a minimum of level+15 defences through paragon (including teleport and curse bonuses). If you really need more than that you can go evermeet warlock (rather than sigil carver), considering you want to be teleporting every round anyhow.

The heck... how did the PP (evermeet is where the invivibility is coming from) not get put into the character summary. Hmm I probably should go back and check it for other obvious missing things......

And technically  i wont have WLMR until level 12. The KPR should be calculated at level 12, but I avoided it as I cant normally make a new level 12 in my game enviroment and test it out (I am really getting sick of being stuck in LFR games) Following the standard item rules I should be able to upgrade to the paragon bracers of mighty striking so i think it would be roughly the same. I can look at that (and compare to other iconic builds defense wise at level 11)  tommorow maybee, if i dont get completely bogged down and mathed out from accounting homework.  

Sign In to post comments