Reverse Contest - Give Me Your Criteria!

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
In a normal contest, I tell you all a theme to make a card around, and you build off of it. In this reverse contest, it's the opposite - you tell me what to make, and I'll make it.
I really like designing cards, but I'm very bad at coming up with them out of the blue. In addition, I'm sure people often come up with cool card ideas that they don't feel like making themselves, nor running a contest for. That's what this thread is for. Here's the process:
1. Post criteria for me to make something based on.
2. I'll make a card, hopefully within a day or two, though real life may intervene.
3. If you like, you can grade my card, or provide suggestions.

One sipulation I'd like to put in place is that I'd prefer no one posted more than two criteria per round of creation.

Let the criteria commence!

Edit:
Also, if you feel my card sucks, just tell me, and I'll try again.

Also, here's a list of my best cards from this thread:

Make a card that isn't green or red and has the keyword action "fight" in its rules text.
Heroic Stand 
Instant
Target creature you control fights each attacking creatures.
"Yes, he died, but he died surrounded by the corpses of the enemy. For that, we shall always remember him."

Note: "all" used to be "each", that was incorrect phrasing.
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
Make a high-risk, low-reward card.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Make a card that isn't green or red and has the keyword action "fight" in its rules text.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Mke a Multicolored Card

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

make a card with wizardcycling

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Create a symmetrical tutor.
Make a balanced land that adds to your mana pool.
Make a card that would be broken in Legacy but wouldn't see play in Standard OR in Draft.
Make a holy demon
IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/oQoEq.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/cH6Sm.gif)

Hmm. This is hard because of the hidden stipulation "And somebody, somewhere, would want to play." I am going to reinterpret this as "low reward relative to the risk." Anyways, here's the card:

(Slightly edited the card)

Vow of Hermitage
Enchantment
You can't be dealt combat damage, draw cards, or cast spells.
Vow of Hermitage can't be the target of abilities you control.
"I have had enough of this warring world. I give up my weapons, and trust in the protection of my God. I shall never break this pledge, come what may." - Pledge of the Hermits

Ok, Arena. Just kidding. The color that fighting fits best in is white, other than red or green. I think I have just the thing:

Heroic Stand
Instant
Target creature you control fights all attacking creatures.
"Yes, he died, but he died surrounded by the corpses of the enemy. For that, we shall always remember him."

Make an Artifact card that involves losing life, gaining life, sacrificing, can't hav power or toughness lower than 5 and has battalion.
Show
Well, it's clearly a white/black artifact, or maybe just white/black abilities.

Robotic Mercenary 
Artifact Creature - Soldier Construct
Extort, Extort
Battalion - Whenever Robotic Mercenary and at least two other creatures attack, you may pay . If you do, defending player sacrifices a creature and you gain life equal to its power.
"Now here is everything we want in a purchased soldier. Reliable, loyal, and knows how to accept smaller and larger tribute on our behalf." - Sinsaw, Orzhov Syndicate Advisor
5/5

Mke a Multicolored Card
Warrior of Revenge
Creature - Human Warrior
Warrior of Revenge attacks each turn if able.
"I shall not stop, shall not rest, until my blood oath is fulfilled by your death."
4/1

make a card with wizardcycling
I'm seeing this a sort of list of spells that the planeswalker has ready to call upon, just in case. Here's what I that looks like to me:

Planeswalker's Spellsheet
Instant
Draw a card.
Islandcycling
Wizardcycling
Instantcycling
"Well, I might need this, but I might need that, or that, or that, or. I think I'll bring them all."

Stoneforge MysticSnapcaster MageDark Confidant_____Tarmogoyf.
So basically, you want a legacy playable two drop red creature. And preferably not for an aggro deck or a combo deck. It has to be either a card advantage machine (the first three) or an awesome creature {Tarmogoyf). However, so it doesn't break standard, it should be at its best in legacy, based on the specifics of that format. I know! Boom! On a dude! Sort of the way Snapcaster Mage is Recoup on a dude. Sort of.

Earthrender
Creature - Elemental
When Earthrender enters the battlefield, destroy target land you control and target land you don't control.
It may look small, but the twisted landscapes it leaves behind are not.
2/1

Create a symmetrical tutor.
Show
I'm sorry, but I made a symmetrical tutor a while back, and I can't help but put it here. It's symmetrical because any player has equal oppourtunity to pay life, not just the caster.

Demonic Arbitrator 
Sorcery
Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process.
If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library.
"Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"

Make a balanced land that adds 2 to your mana pool.
Show
I'm going to make a cross between the Balduvian Trading Post cycle and the Azorius Chancery cycle.

Lonely Temple
Land
If Lonely Temple would enter the battlefield, you may return an untapped land you control to its owner's hand and put Lonely Temple onto the battlefield instead. If you don't, put Lonely Temple into its owner's graveyard.
: Add to your mana pool.
It's a difficult site to reach, but it can provide in abundance.

Make a card that would be broken in Legacy but wouldn't see play in Standard OR in Draft.
Show
Sheltering Expanse
Land
Lands you control have hexproof.
: Add to your mana pool.
It forms the border of the empire, letting friend and foe pass, but keeping the land protected.

Make a holy demon
Show
Holy doesn't only mean good, it can also mean devoted to the work of one's deity. Therefore:

Darkness of Bolas
Creature - Demon
Flying
Whenever Darkness of Bolas deals combat damage to a player, that player discards their hand, then sacrifices permanents equal to the number of cards discarded this way.
"I come bearing a message of my Lord Bolas: Die."

Well, those are my cards. What do you think of them? 
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
Now, do we grade you based on how well you followed our criteria? This could get interesting.....

Show
Upon the day that dragons were born, so to was the first white wig worn, by men who wished to make the world theirs, and in the process sorcery tears - the very fabric of space and time, dragging the dragons right into their prime, these monstrous beasts in philosophical mansions, stood right in the way of colonial expansions. To break these beasts a hero must be found, a hero of the future who can stand the sound - of centuries past and voices unfettered, and someone who'll carve dragon graves lettered - R, I, and P the three sacred symbols, that curse the dead to a land without gimbals. A land they'll never leave, because escape cannot conceive - itself, out of the grip of this mustachio'd hero, a Roosevelt who is comparable to zero. Family crest tattooed on his chest, the baddest m****rf****r this side of the West. And to the dismay of the colonial fools, their futuristic hero had to play by the rules, and the hero chosen by the dragons themselves, they summoned with a tome pulled from dusty shelves. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn, or so they said, as their dragon tails were waggin'. And up from the depths, as the earth shook, the Oldest of Ones opened eyes for a look - at the battle that was about to be waged, the human champion that stood enraged - on the precipice between hither and yon, to battle this most eldritch scion. And with that, the tension was broken, the combat began, and each soul had spoken - its very last words, because as soon as time had started, so to had it ended, and sentience departed.
Well, you're free to interpret it as you wish. However, I was looking for a 2-mana creature with extremely high power level and a lot of utility, meaning it could be used in a lot of various decks. Your card is pretty much delegated to aggro.

I also think it's way too good, but that might be a good thing? It's really hard to recover from it on the play though, not to mention shenanigans with fetchlands.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Mown, just so you know, I've seen Boom // Bust see maindeck play in Modern Jund as well as aggro decks, and I think this version could make it in similar disruption-based decks in legacy, such as Legacy Jund, especially because the existence of Wasteland means that the ability to destroy basic lands on the cheap can be very powerful. I believe it is more versatile than you think, because when combined with a fetchland it's a two mana stone rain on turn three. Also, of course it's too good. So were the other four.
Show
0/10 was in that contest, lost to that card, not amused by seeing it again.
Sorry Jessica, I'll make something else.
Show
Ok, Arena. Just kidding. The color that fighting fits best in is white, other than red or green. I think I have just the thing:

Heroic Stand
Instant
Target creature you control fights all attacking creatures.

I like it. I also feel that fight would fit into white, and this is a perfect example of how white would utilize it (in my opinion). I'm sure if others were to critique this they'd argue that the spell costs too much, but given the existence of deathtouch creatures I'd argue that it's costed just right (although I could see a push for in a Standard environment that has cut back on deathtouch density).

Round 2 (?) criteria: Make a legendary creature that costs only one color of mana to cast, but has a single activated ability which requires three colors to activate.

Clarifications: It can cost more than 1 mana to cast, it just has one color of mana symbol in its casting cost. Examples: or would be acceptable mana costs, but would not.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)

I am Black/Green

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

A symmetrical tutor:

Housan's Blessing
Sorcery
Each player searches their library for a card, puts it in his or her hand, then shuffles his or her library.
The god's gift flowed down across the wide world to everyone, ovorywhere.

Again, sorry. 
Show

Mke a Multicolored Card
Warrior of Revenge
Creature - Human Warrior
Warrior of Revenge attacks each turn if able.
"I shall not stop, shall not rest, until my blood oath is fulfilled by your death."
4/1

wow, amazing but could get away with being a 4/2.

Your grade: 7/10

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Sweet. Make a card with at least 10 and no more than 15 words in the rules text. Five of them must be the same.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Round 2:
Make a legendary creature that costs only one color of mana to cast, but has a single activated ability which requires three colors to activate.
Well, the question that needs to be adressed is what good is the creature if you can cast it's single colored body without being able to use it? The answer is that it does something first, then more with the proper mana. Here we go:

Geunder, the Knowledgeable 
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
When Geunder, the Knowledgeable enters the battlefield, draw a card.
,: Draw a card.
"I bring with me knowledge, and the promise of more to come."
2/2

Make a creature card that feels like a common but would be printed as a Mythic rare. It has to be  a 5 mana cost that includes blue, black, green, and includes card loss.
I'm pretty sure that's not possible. I don't think any Mythic Rare will ever feel like a common, in terms of complexity or power level. So, I'm only going to do the other sentence. Sorry about that. Second issue: What is card loss? Targeted discard? Self-discard? Card disadvantage? Mill? I'm going to assume it means card disadvantage, but I really don't know. Anyways, here goes:

Cencat, Reclaimer
Legendary Creature  - Human Wizard
When Cencat, Reclaimer enters the battlefield, choose X cards in your graveyard, where X is the number of cards in your hand minus one. Discard your hand, then return the chosen cards to your hand.
"The past holds powers beyond modern comprehension. They shall be forgotten no longer."
2/5

Make a card with at least 10 and no more than 15 words in the rules text. Five of them must be the same.
Show
Oh, this one is easy.

Unaided Knight
Creature - Human Knight
Exalted, Exalted, Exalted, Exalted, Exalted.
Other creatures you control can't attack.
"I have no need of your puny forces. Stand back, and observe how a true knight fights."
2/2

Thanks for all your ideas, and all your support. This is going as well as I could have hoped. 
Show
Round 2:
Make a legendary creature that costs only one color of mana to cast, but has a single activated ability which requires three colors to activate.
Well, the question that needs to be adressed is what good is the creature if you can cast it's single colored body without being able to use it? The answer is that it does something first, then more with the proper mana. Here we go:

Geunder, the Knowledgeable 
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
When Geunder, the Knowledgeable enters the battlefield, draw a card.
,: Draw a card.
"I bring with me knowledge, and the promise of more to come."
2/2

Actually, I was thinking more about Commander and how we need more legendaries that grant more color identities but don't require all of those colors in order to cast it. :P But either way, I forgive you for basically remaking Xira Arien. Yeah, it's technically different, and yeah Esper colors would be more appropriate for a draw ability, but Xira was seriously the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this.
I'm not doing numbered grades.

Round 3 Criteria: Make a creature card with a printed toughness less than 0 which would require at least one other card to survive entering the battlefield.
Clarification: I'm not asking for two cards, there are plenty of global pump effects available. I'm asking for your choice of either a vanilla creature or a creature that does not have an ability that causes it to enter the battlefield with +1/+1 counters or grant any sort of static pump (active at all times; Aura Gnarlid has a static pump effect) to its toughness. 

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Hmm. This is hard because of the hidden stipulation "And somebody, somewhere, would want to play." I am going to reinterpret this as "low reward relative to the risk." Anyways, here's the card:

(Slightly edited the card)

Vow of Hermitage
Enchantment
You can't be dealt combat damage, draw cards, or cast spells.
Vow of Hermitage can't be the target of abilities you control.
"I have had enough of this warring world. I give up my weapons, and trust in the protection of my God. I shall never break this pledge, come what may." - Pledge of the Hermits

I like this type of card. It is something modern wotc would NEVER print, though. It leads to miserable gameplay, either way. And I enjoy that, luckily for you.

There's an issue though, it doesnt fit the criteria well. This is not a low reward card. Unless your opponent has milling in their decks, you can just play this in a 65 card deck and you'll win a high percentage of games by doing nothing.

I give it a 5.5/10

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Make an Artifact card that involves losing life, gaining life, sacrificing, can't hav power or toughness lower than 5 and has battalion.

wow, not only are your cards needlessly cluttered and complicated, so are your criteria for other people

Cause I think this is a cool idea.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Hey, I really want to keep this going, and so I'm adding some things, as will be reflected in the first post shortly:
1. I'm going to remake the cards that I feel like I didn't do so well on.
2. I'm going to set up a list of cards that I really did well on. This choice will include my judgement, the person who set the criteria, and anyone else who comments on it.

The first card falling under the first category will be Fenix's request for a high risk, low reward card.
The first card under the second category will be Heroic Stand, because judging by my feelings, Edacade's, and whoever voted for it on Card of the Week, it's pretty good.

I can't do this without you guys, so keep the requests coming. Expect responses on the two outstanding criteria within a couple hours.
Show
Make a Boros Goblin Legend.
This should spring some imagination to you!

A typical   trying to get somewhere in the Multiverse, allons-y?

DOCTOR WHO OOOOOOOOEEOOOOOOOO OOOOOOEEOOOOOOO (I'm weird, cant help it)

Famous Quotes:

144543765 wrote:
I was browsing through some cards in gatherer and I noticed something really odd - the transforming cards from Innistrad like Mayor of Avabruck have separate comments and ratings for each side. Isn't that totally stupid? It feels as senseless as having two different pages for each side of a split card or having different pages for Nimble Mongoose with and without threshold.

56965528 wrote:
*mutters under his breath* Squinty's Wife: "What was that!?!?" Umm, I said.... umm..... ahhh.... *another smack upside the head* Squinty's Wife: "Care to try again?" *shakes head vigerously* Squinty's Wife: "That's better." ~SE++ *whimpering*

Current deck goals:

NON-AGGRO, NON-MONO RED deck (Not getting very far with it though)

Standard mono red deck for FNM next Friday

Make a creature card with a printed toughness less than 0 which would require at least one other card to survive entering the battlefield.
I think I'm going to have to go a little against the meaning of the request and follow the words alone, if for no other reason than that Force of Savagery has filled that role so perfectly already. I think you'll like the result, however.

Glory of a Nation 
Creature - Human Knight Avatar
Flying, Vigilance, Lifelink
When Glory of a Nation dies, return it to the battlefield transformed at the beginning of the next end step.
"By the blessing of my god and my people, and the weapons and armor I carry, a dream has come to life."
10/-2
////////////////////////////////
Long-Questing Knight
Creature - Human Knight
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, search your library for an artifact or enchantment card and reveal that card, shuffle your library, then put the card on top of it.
When Long-Questing Knight's toughness is 8 or greater, transform it.
A young knight's dreams die quick and hard, but great deeds and great discoveries can bring them back.
2/5

Let's find a good, solid, high-risk, low-reward card, shall we? Ok, I checked. I can't find any. So I'm breaking new ground! Whee! Oh, I got it - I need a very low probability yet devestating drawback, and then a undercosted but not too powerful effect upon success. Alright, here goes:

Erratic Tormentor 
Creature - Demon
Flying, Trample, Undying
When Erratic Tormentor enters the battlefield, flip three coins. If you lose all three flip, sacrifice all other permanents you control and discard your hand.
"Hmm? Your soul? Oh, right!"
5/4

I'd argue that it's high risk - if you lose the flips, you're probably losing that game. And the reward isn't that high, when compared to something like Hound of Griselbrand or Thragtusk.

Make a Legendary creature that is a Defender.
In all of Magic, there is a single Legendary Defender so far: Opal-Eye, Konda's Yojimbo. I have a rather different concept, however:

Pura, Prince of Peace 
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric
Defender
Other creatures you control get +0/+4 and have defender.
And the end of combat on your opponent's turn, that player gains 2 life for each creature he or she controls that is not attacking.
"In the world we live in, there is hate, and evil, and cruelty, and most of all war. But in this little corner of our world, among us at least, why can't things be different?"
0/7

Make a Boros Goblin Legend.
Pid-Pin, Goblin General
Legendary Creature - Goblin Soldier
First strike
Other Goblin creatures you control have first strike.
Battalion - Whenever Pid-Pin, Goblin General and at least two other creatures attack, each Goblin you control deals one damage to defending player.
"There is no end of strength in the goblin race. As members of the Boros Legion, we are unstoppable."
2/2
Show
Force of Savagery is a one-of-a-kind card at the moment, and only needs one toughness modifying permanent on the battlefield to keep it from dieing. I was hoping to see your interpretation for what power level a creature with a negative toughness would be able to get away with. =/ Your card is disappoint for me.

Criteria 4: Make a card that combines an alternate cost keyword with an additional cost keyword.

If you don't know all of the specified keywords...
Alternate Cost Keywords
Evoke
Retrace
Flashback
Prowl
Madness (technically, it's a triggered ability, but it offers an alternate cost)
Miracle (also technically a triggered ability)
Suspend
Overload
Ninjutsu
debatable member of this list: Rebound (If Suspend can be counted as an alternate cost, Rebound basically does that same thing but after the first casting)
Additional Cost Keywords
Kicker/Multikicker (I consider these the same thing, even though one is capable of being paid multiple times)
Buyback
Splice
Conspire
Delve
Replicate
Convoke
Entwine

Clarification: by "combine" I mean the card has both keywords on it, not a literal combining of the alternate cost with the additional cost.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Make a green enchantment that affects all creatures in play.
Make a choice card similar to Choice of Damnations
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Make a Selesyna card with extort.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.