Boros deck help

31 posts / 0 new
Last post

Auto card is your friend. Lightning bolt. -->. [ c] lightning bolt [ / c]. --> lightning bolt or replace c with deck and lightning bolt with your decklist.

Nothing?

Auto card is your friend. Lightning bolt. -->. [ c] lightning bolt [ / c]. --> lightning bolt or replace c with deck and lightning bolt with your decklist.

My suggestion would be to buy the Boros Event deck, Rally and Rout, and add your Sacred Foundry, Boros Reckoner, and Boros Charm cards to it.

That looks like a step inthe right direction. Your original deck had too much high-cost stuff and some of it wasn't effective enough for the cost.

For the next step, I would recommend traded off Ash Zealot, she's a good card but this is not the place for her cost. Also recommended are more Clifftop Retreats in place of Guildgates.

Personally, I love Thalia, but she is a side-board card to me. A good enough side-board card to invest in more perhaps, but a side-board card none-the-less.

Silverblade is a super card and I would recommend more, but he's due to rotate soon and it might not be worth the money.

Searing Spear is more generally useful than Pillar, but both are useful. Mizzium Mortars is worth a though for the side-board at least.

You will have trouble with decks as well as Naya because of the size of their creatures, so you will need side-board answers. Boros Reckoner alone requires a non-damage-dealing answer such as exile, reduce-toughness-to-zero or a Pacifism-style effect. Act of Treason-style cards can be useful here.

Control decks can be an issue, Thalia helps. Electrickery or something to handle Lingering Souls tokens can be useful in the side-board.
If you want to rush out of the gate guns blazing i recommend replacing the doomed travelers with either champion of the parish, rakdos cackler or stromkirk noble. Doomed traveler is good if you plan on using him as a sacrifice, but not really for anything else. You can also replace you skyknight legionnaires and sunhome guildmages with more reckoners, silverblade paladins or lighting maulers, depending on what you want more.
I want to have this deck remain as it is after the rotation, so I know that limits things a bit, but I am just lazy. Updated decklist:

SB:
[deck]

3 Electrickery
3 Act of treason
4 Pacifism 
2 Aerial maneuver
3 Arrows of justice

[/deck] 

Personally, I don't like one-drops of different colors. It's especially difficult when one doesn't have a good mana base. Generally, in Standard, you've got two sets of lands that produce both colors, but one won't work on turn one. One can add Cavern of Souls but they're expensive and about to rotate.

SB:
[deck]

3 Electrickery
3 Act of treason
2 Aurelia, the Warleader
3 Aerial maneuver
4 Arrows of justice

[/deck] 

I feel Aurelia is just to much mana.

Try Rakdos Shred-Freak and add a 4th SkyKnight Legionairre 

hows this?

SB:
[deck]

3 Electrickery
3 Act of treason
2 Aurelia, the Warleader
3 Aerial maneuver
4 Arrows of justice

[/deck] 

Seems a little better. The idea being to get everything out quickly, Aurelia just wasn't practical.

Aurelia is too much mana to reliably cast in a competitive game; it's just the wrong sort of deck. I don't get her in the side-board either; what's that about? What match-up do you bring in the six-CMC creature that you didn't main-deck because of the mana-curve?

Speaking of cards that don't fit; Rakdos Shred-Freak is essentially ; that ain't happening for this deck on turn two.

And I still don't like mixed colors of one-drops.
hows this?

SB:
[deck]

3 Electrickery
3 Act of treason
2 Skillful lunge
3 Aerial maneuver
4 Arrows of justice

[/deck] 

you should put in searing spears and pillar of flames.
assemble the legion isnt doing anything in this deck.
oblivion rings > arrests
martial glory is questionable at best.
put in hellriders if you have them.
I think all of those are rotating out soon or might be, so I don't want anything that isn't RTR or Gatecrash for now. I know it's inconvenient, but I'm lazy.

I think all of those are rotating out soon or might be, so I don't want anything that isn't RTR or Gatecrash for now. I know it's inconvenient, but I'm lazy.

Oblivion ring might get reprinted. It's been coming back again and again. As for the rest. You have a lot of time before it rotates out.
I'm still lazy.

I'll consider it. 

spears, pillars and orings are all uncommons that won't set you back much.
orings are also a core set staple.

the kind of burn spears and pillars provide is always around and is needed in this kind of deck.

spears, pillars and orings are all uncommons that won't set you back much.
orings are also a core set staple.

the kind of burn spears and pillars provide is always around and is needed in this kind of deck.

Are there any such spells in the RTR block?

If there aren't, I'm ok with core set, but I would prefer RTR/Gatecrash.

EDIT: Do you think I should add Madcap skills? if so, what should I take out to make room?

This is what I have now. I know it isnt as good, but I couldnt find some of the cards I needed for a while, so what do you think of this?

For this to work effectively and consistently your running way to many 1 of and 2 of cards. The Guildgates are way to slow for an aggro deck and you don't have a win condition except to spam creatures on the field and with Naya about everywhere the majority of players now run board sweepers. Try and find what your most effective cards are that work together and build around them.
/insert overstated statement that you shouldnt worry about rotation so far in advance and just add cards from the Innistrad block if you really want to be competitive....
What Innistrad cards would be good? champion of the parish, bonds of faith, tibalt, the fiend-blooded, thundrous wrath, bonfire of the damned?

how is this new decklist?

SB

[deck]

1 beckon apparation
2 shielded passage
2 millenial gargoyle
2 skullcrack
3 elecktrickery
2 oblivion ring
3 civic saber

[/deck]

What Innistrad cards would be good? champion of the parish, bonds of faith, tibalt, the fiend-blooded, thundrous wrath, bonfire of the damned?

SB

[deck]

1 beckon apparation
2 shielded passage
2 millenial gargoyle
2 skullcrack
3 elecktrickery
2 oblivion ring
3 civic saber

[/deck]

Pillar of Flame, Lightning Mauler, Brimstone Volley, Hellrider, Silverblade Paladin, and you absolutely need Champion of the Parish. If you're not going the humans route, then Stromkirk Noble.

All of the cards I listed are probably upgrades to most of what you have here.

Your SB also needs a ton of help. Civic Saber? What would you ever bring Civic Saber against?
yeah i dont know what I was thinking with the sideboard.
should I maindeck civic saber?

Please help improve my sideboard too.
Here is what I got from innistrad that kinda fits the strategy:

Please suggest what to replace in the maindeck/sideboard to replace with any of these.

Thanks for the help.

yeah i dont know what I was thinking with the sideboard.
should I maindeck civic saber?

Please help improve my sideboard too.
Here is what I got from innistrad that kinda fits the strategy:

Please suggest what to replace in the maindeck/sideboard to replace with any of these.

Thanks for the help.

I think what you really need to do is to take a step back and think about your main goals for the deck. What do you want this deck to do? I'll answer this one for ya... Kill them fast. If you see a card that can doesn't fit into that main goal then it should probably be cut. Now think about a card like Civic Saber and think how fast/aggressive that card is in relation to other cards available to you.

Are you going to want to spend 1 mana to give your creatures potentially 2 more power at most or would you rather want consistent burn/haste damage. Cut Civic Saber, it is awful.

Take a look at some traditonal Boros lists or even people streaming Boros lists and just watch how their games play out.

Also, never suggest Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded ever in a deck again. He is just so awful and there is a reason why players trade him away for cookies.

SB

[deck]

2 shielded passage
1 increasing devotion
2 Gather the townsfolk
2 skullcrack
3 elecktrickery
2 oblivion ring
1 Bonfire of the damned
1 Aurelia's Fury
1 Pit fight

[/deck]

It does ok usually, but kinda bad against decks that puke out cheap creatures like itself.

I think you need to do some more research and find out what cards you currently have available to you in standard. Why would Boros deck that has access to plenty of burn ever ever use Pit Fight? That card should be no where close to your 75. What about Basilica Guards? You are using a DEFENDER in an AGGRESSIVE deck. That's just common sense man. If you're worried about dieing to aggressive decks then you need to make yourself faster, don't play a card that drastically changes your gameplan because you're afraid of a particular matchup. 

You still need more consistency. Why is Champion of the Parish not a four of? Silverblade Paladin still trumps most of those creatures but you're only playing 1? Is card availability still an issue? If you're still using the argument that you don't want to use Innistrad block cards then you might as well give up on this being competitive. The list still needs Lightning Mauler and I would like to see Frontline Medic.

Don't just post a new decklist every single time someone posts, take a look at your list and ask yourself why are you only playing 2 of this card, or why is this card in the deck altogether, what is it supposed to do?
Here's a simple aggro list that will mostly remain intact after rotation, i will mention that you need the burn(plus decent burn is always printed in the core sets) and the cards are cheap enough cost wise to not matter if you need to buy them. The only somewhat costly thing you need from the blocks that are rotating is clifftop retreat

Creatures-28
4x boros elite
4x dryad militant
4x war falcon or skinbrand goblin
4x precinct captain
4x wojek halberdiers 
4x boros reckoner
4x frontline medic

Spells-12
4x searing spear
4x pillar of flame
4x boros charm