Any possibility for 6th mana color in future?

88 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know 5 color are just fine, but there are potencial for 6 mana color. It need to create more card for fixing checkland, shocklands, ... . 
6 color should be purple, orange, gray or brown. 
And what would this color do that doesn't already fit into the current five plus artifacts?
If you can answer that, you have a case.

Good luck.
They almost introduced the xolor purple during Planar Chaos, they decided against it so it's incredibly unlikely they ever will.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
I have thought about this alot. Purple usualy has to do with physic, and mind powers, but that falls into blue.
This is actually quite possible.  More than a few times, a sixth color has made it far into development of a set, until eventually they dropped it, feeling it wasn't unique feeling enough.  I personally did quite a bit of work on a sixth color, just to see if I could make it feel like it doesn't fit into any other color's piece of the pie.  Maybe I'll share it sometime. ;D
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
More than a few times, a sixth color has made it far into development of a set, until eventually they dropped it, feeling it wasn't unique feeling enough.

Can I get a source on this? I know that it was tossed aroud during the time spiral block....

More than a few times, a sixth color has made it far into development of a set, until eventually they dropped it, feeling it wasn't unique feeling enough.

Can I get a source on this? I know that it was tossed aroud during the time spiral block....

I've been scouring the web, but I can't find the article I read it on.  I'm going to keep looking though, because I know I saw it somewhere.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I think this was one of the April 1st larks.
I found it.
"Pro #4: No One Would See It Coming
It’s funny how for all the talk about a sixth color, no one believes we would do it. Yet I’ve been on design teams that have discussed it seriously three different times. And even with me telling you that factoid, you still won’t think we’ll do it. Not deep down. And maybe you’re right. You see that? See what I did? I put the doubt back. Because if we do decide to do it (and again note the “if”) we do want to surprise
you."

Source.

Snow is the sixth color. Also with un cards you can create many colors of mana using the pink bear token, avatar of me with contact lens in, and bloom tender.
PURPLE COLOR as color of CHAOS, UNSURELITY, rolling dice

= color of randomnes (bolt as roll dice 0-5)
= color of physic
= color of chaos
= color of tricks 
= color of void 
= color of travel

Creatures - devils, human, demons, powerfull creature, voidwalkers, ... .

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
I very strongly say no to this

The problem that people keep not bringing up is that while there is just the mechanics the color would have to color, but it completely throughs off the enemy/ally symmetry too.

no no no no 
Heya everyone, here are my homebrew threads: (yes there is only one right now, but there are more to come!) And Let There Be Fish-Men: KUO-TOA
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
I very strongly say no to this

The problem that people keep not bringing up is that while there is just the mechanics the color would have to color, but it completely throughs off the enemy/ally symmetry too.

no no no no 

I think the enemy/ally symmetry is already off.  Red and white don't feel like enemies to me, at all.  Blue feels like more of an enemy to white than red does.  And black and green aren't as different as they once were, especially with black's shift away from "evil" and simply becoming more focused on itself, in that regard.  
snip.

I'm going to be that other guy who talks about how superfluous a sixth color would be.

Also, as for the surmised qualities... I'm not sure what "unsurelity" even is. Or "physic" for that matter, which I'm assuming is the singular for "physics" in this case.

Otherwise, Red has randomness and chaos covered. Blue has "tricks" and "psychic" covered, and I don't know what "void" means, or "travel" in this context, but you can't start making up abstract themes for an identity.

Abstraction, now that's an identity. Void is what happens to checks that sit around too long.

And the color pie is still very much in tact. While certain qualities bleed into others, where is there not grey area in the world?

White is still very much about order and justice. Red is still very much about passion and aggression. Green is still very much about growth and life. Black is still very much about selfishness and omnipotence. Blue is still very much about intellect and omniscience. While everyone wants a little bit of everything else, it doen't mean the symmetry is off. It's there, but they have different relationships based upon the environments in different sets. Would you really want the same relationships to be revisited in EVERY block? Nobody would keep playing because we'd know what to expect, and that expectation is what Core Sets are for.

So while it is fanciful to think of a sixth color and how that would "spice" things up, also consider how inconvenient it would be for the history of Magic and what would have to be taken away from every other color to squeeze it in. Snow was hard enough to incorporate and it wasn't even a new color, it was just a goofy symbol that was tacked on to a jillion things. Phyrexian mana worked because it was worked into the current mana structure. But to create a whole new dynamic is just impractical and I don't see any benefit to it ever emerging.

That's my speculation, anyhow.
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL
I kind of want there to be a color for the athear, but that seems to be blue and red. Also, its to far into magic to change something as drastic as a color. They could do it for a set, but not forever. It would make millions of things irrelivent, and there would be no cards that interact with it at the start.
A sixth color is easier done as snow or phyrexian mana or some other restriction placed on spending of current colored mana.

It would require soooooo much effort I cant imagine it being worth it. 

3DH4LIF3

What's the gain?

All you do is upset the ally-enemy mechanic, steal content away from the other five colours, and do nothing except "HEY LOOK 6TH COLOUR WOOO" 
Violet: Mysticism: Enemy of  white, green and red, located between black and blue.

They could split white in half.
White currently has:
-Indestructible creatures and indestructible effects (Avacyn, Knight Examplar, Field Medic)
-Damage prevention and redirection
-Exiling and destroying creatures
-Exiling and destroying artifacts
-Exiling and destroying enchantments
-Protection from colors
-Ressurection
-Lifelink
-First and Double strike
-Flying 
-Flash
-Targeted removal enchantments that removes any nonland permanent (only destroyed by green and white spells)
-Spellcasting prevention (Nevermore, Silence, Grand Abolisher, Curse of Exhaustion)

That's from the top of my head.

=============

Violet.
Mysticism.

And then my mind went blank as to what it could do without stealing anyone's thunder. 
Some of those are just variations of the same thing, and some are already duplicated in other colors.  I can't see partioning half of those and not ending up with confused versions of black control  and blue weenies.
Isn't purple the color black mages get to use when they need glowy effects?

Liliana Vess
Mental Vapors
Onyx Mage
Profane Command

I really, really hope they never do this. There's no real benefit to adding a color, and it would throw so many things out of whack... Ugh.
Even Snow nana feels gimmickey, and a straight-up sixth color would be a million times worse. Would they have to print a new basic land? What about the card backs?
When we already have colorless creatures and spells, hybrid, 'two-brid', and Phyrexian mana, and Snow mana, what more would a new color add?    

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I wouldn't mind a new basic land, but not a color.

3DH4LIF3

No, I hope Magic always sticks to 5 colors. There are still tons of unexplored design spaces and possibilities for each color so why a new one?

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

o___O The sixth and seventh color already exist. Colorless permanents have been a part of the game since it's onset, but colorless and functionally colorless spells are now part of the game. More importantly, the 6th color was Pink (before y'lnow, colorless became a color .) Hell, if you want to go deeper, Pink was the 7th and colorless was the 8th because Snow mana has existed since Ice Age. Point being that the 5 colors the game are build on don't need another peer, because derivative colors and manatypes are enough of a headache as temporary (and often beloved) installments.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
o___O The sixth and seventh color already exist. Colorless permanents have been a part of the game since it's onset, but colorless and functionally colorless spells are now part of the game. More importantly, the 6th color was Pink (before y'lnow, colorless became a color .) Hell, if you want to go deeper, Pink was the 7th and colorless was the 8th because Snow mana has existed since Ice Age. Point being that the 5 colors the game are build on don't need another peer, because derivative colors and manatypes are enough of a headache as temporary (and often beloved) installments.

Don't confuse people.  Colorless isn't a color.  That's what -less means.  It's devoid of color.  Snow isn't a color.  Phyrexian isn't a color.  Pink (in Magic) isn't a color.  And Ghostfire is colorless even though it costs ; it's colorless because the rules say it is.

Rules Advisor

Don't confuse people.  Colorless isn't a color.  That's what -less means.  It's devoid of color.  Snow isn't a color.  Phyrexian isn't a color.  Pink (in Magic) isn't a color.

No, colorless IS functionally a color now (which means colorless in magic means something entirely different than colorless in English) , because cards care about it's border color (or rather lack-there-of.) And more importantly, it now functions like any other color in that it has an identity and a number of spells associated with it.  Phyrexian mana was a device to create "artifact colors", making spells that were effectively colorless, even though they contained color- and even more importantly there is a card that cares about the mana type. Pink IS a color in Magic because a card specifies a pink bordered token.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)

Don't confuse people.  Colorless isn't a color.  That's what -less means.  It's devoid of color.  Snow isn't a color.  Phyrexian isn't a color.  Pink (in Magic) isn't a color.

No, colorless IS functionally a color now (which means colorless in magic means something entirely different than colorless in English) , because cards care about it's border color (or rather lack-there-of.) And more importantly, it now functions like any other color in that it has an identity and a number of spells associated with it.  Phyrexian mana was a device to create "artifact colors", making spells that were effectively colorless, even though they contained color- and even more importantly there is a card that cares about the mana type. Pink IS a color in Magic because a card specifies a pink bordered token.

None of this means anything.  Border color doesn't mean anything.  The only thing that matters is the mana cost or the color indicator.  Rage Extractor is red because it has a red mana symbol, not because it has a red outline.  Paying 2 life instead of red mana doesn't make it a colorless spell.  Saying that it "functions like any other color in that it has an identity and a number of spells associated with it" doesn't mean that Phyrexian mana is a color, functionally or otherwise.

And a fake pink token from a parody set does not make a sixth color to the game.  Pink is as much a color as the absolutely-removed-from-the-freaking-game-forever zone is a zone.

Rules Advisor

None of this means anything.  Border color doesn't mean anything.  The only thing that matters is the mana cost or the color indicator.  Rage Extractor is red because it has a red mana symbol, not because it has a red outline.  Paying 2 life instead of red mana doesn't make it a colorless spell.  Saying that it "functions like any other color in that it has an identity and a number of spells associated with it" doesn't mean that Phyrexian mana is a color, functionally or otherwise.

And a fake pink token from a parody set does not make a sixth color to the game.  Pink is as much a color as the absolutely-removed-from-the-freaking-game-forever zone is a zone.

Poppycock, now you're arguing semantics about what creates a legitimate color.

The OP doesn't understand that in Magic jargon, "color" has little to do with the homo sapien sapien's visual light spectrum and everything to do with the identity of the restrictions (and lack there of) of playing a non-land card. Snow, Pink, Colorless and Phyrexian exist to modify the color system, and are thus effectively colors- even if one only cares about the border of a token from a non-tournament playable set (though the un-sets are very much so a part of the Magic universe.)
Snow is most likely how they would make a new color if they did one at all; basically hybrid, and only in one block. Or just all hybrid. A sixth color on its own would wreck too much havoc on every format ever.

Poppycock, now you're arguing semantics about what creates a legitimate color.

The OP doesn't understand that in Magic jargon, "color" has little to do with the homo sapien sapien's visual light spectrum and everything to do with the identity of the restrictions (and lack there of) of playing a non-land card. Snow, Pink, Colorless and Phyrexian exist to modify the color system, and are thus effectively colors- even if one only cares about the border of a token from a non-tournament playable set (though the un-sets are very much so a part of the Magic universe.)

No, I'm arguing the rules.
105.1.  There are five colors in the Magic game: white, blue, black, red, and green.
105.2c.  A colorless object has no color.
106.1a.  There are five colors of mana: white, blue, black, red, and green.
106.1b.  There are six types of mana: white, blue, black, red, green, and colorless.
202.2.  An object is the color or colors of the mana symbols in its mana cost, regardless of the color of its frame.
202.2a.  The five colors are white, blue, black, red, and green.  The white mana symbol is represented by , blue by , black by , red by , and green by .
202.2b.  Objects with no colored mana symbols in their mana costs are colorless.

As you can see, pink is not a color, and snow and Phyrexian mana have absolutely nothing to do with color.  The OP doesn't need to know about snow mana or Phyrexian mana, or pink tokens from an Un-set, because those things have absolutely nothing to do with anything.  Just because things refrence snow permanents or things with Phyrexian mana symbols doesn't mean that they exist to modify the color system.  They don't.  It's simply not true.

Rules Advisor

Dont misunderstand what people are saying, and the op doesn't matter because we are simply discussing things.
I wouldn't mind a new basic land, but not a color.

The only answer. It is far too late in the game to add another color, but another basic land type is absolutely doable (and we should definitely see more snow cards).
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
6th Color of plane travel - zone manipulation, randomness(new dice mechanic), possibilty to choose from more options, alternative win/lost condition. Mana manipulation (fixing, stealing, trasforming, ...), advantage for later lose possibilities.

Shuffle your sideboard to your library.

Search sideboard for card and put it hand. 

Reshuffe you exileup to 3 target spell to your library.

Restart game.

Player at random will lose game.(using new dice mechanic)

Enhmannent:  Choose zone from graveyard, exile, command zone. Whenever first  card enter chosen zone in turn, you may move it to chosen zone instead.

Creatures with choose posibilities. Whenever creature would enter game, choose that toughness and power where sum P + T  <= specific="" number="" choose="" keyword="adaptation.

Creature with */* statistic.

etc... 
And what would this color do that doesn't already fit into the current five plus artifacts?

In my blog, I discuss a reason for adding colors to Magic that doesn't require answering that question.

Instead, I find another reason why Magic might need more colors.

Split Blue into Purple and Orange - because blue is too strong, so now you would need to have a two-color deck just to have both counterspells and card draw.

Combine two other colors, say White and Green, which have tended to be weak, into Yellow, to further balance the color pie.

From one set to the next, a different group of five of the eight colors would be used.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

If blue's card draw seems too strong in a set, you can move some or all of it over to green and black. Or even nerf it to looting and move to red.
They won't make a new colour, because it's invalidate every card ever printed (as they'd have to update the five colour pie, which is on the reverse of every card.

No, colorless IS functionally a color now (which means colorless in magic means something entirely different than colorless in English)

i agree with this because there are things that have protection specifically from colored spells. if colorless really wasn't a color, shouldn't emrakul say protection from everything?

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.

No, colorless IS functionally a color now (which means colorless in magic means something entirely different than colorless in English)

i agree with this because there are things that have protection specifically from colored spells. if colorless really wasn't a color, shouldn't emrakul say protection from everything?

No, Emrakul should not say, "Protection from everything" for many, many reasons, none of which have anything to do with colorless being a functional color.  Which, again, means absolutely nothing.  Protection from everything would mean that Emrakul would have protection from permanents, which it doesn't have.  Emrakul could block and take no damage--which it can't do--and it would be unblockable--which it's not.  Emrakul has protection from colored spells, which only exist on the stack.  It doesn't have protection from Oblivion Ring, which it would have if it had protection from everything.  Emrakul does not have protection from Ghostfire, because Ghostfire is not a colored spell.

Are artifacts functionally a color because Tel-Jilad Outrider has protection from them?  What about enchantments?

Rules Advisor

They won't make a new colour, because it's invalidate every card ever printed (as they'd have to update the five colour pie, which is on the reverse of every card.

Why? The word Deckmaster is on the back of every card, even though Wizards no longer uses that trademark for anything. So the original five colors could be on the back of every card, even if other colors start being used.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Why? The word Deckmaster is on the back of every card, even though Wizards no longer uses that trademark for anything. So the original five colors could be on the back of every card, even if other colors start being used.

Agreed.  In fact, the backs would make more sense staying the same regardless, because they would represent where Magic started.
The problem I would have with a sixth color is that unless you introduce an additional pentagon it disrupts the traditional five color balance, which sets up for some neat interactions and relationships. The fact that no color has just one opposite but two adds depth to what could have been a boring "Earth vs. Wind, Fire vs. Water"-style rivalry. Each color pair has a simple expression to describe their relationship:

White + Blue: Laws and Logic create a better society
Blue + Black: Knowledge and Ambition assert superiority
Black + Red: Life is short, so enjoy it while it lasts
Red + Green: Follow your emotions and instincts
Green + White: Protect your community

White vs. Black: Greater Good vs. Personal Good
Blue vs. Red: Careful Planning vs. Impulsive Action
Black vs. Green: Luxurious Wants vs. Essential Needs
Red vs. White: Absolute Freedom vs. Absolute Order
Green vs. Blue: Natural Preservation vs. Artificial Progression