New Block

67 posts / 0 new
Last post
What do you think it is?

I think it may be Alara, b/c it's the most hybrid friendly and it makes sense mechanically for the 2 colour Ravnica guilds to transition into the 3 colour shards, just as Innistrad's Vampire(RB)/Zombie(UB)/Human(WR)/Spirit(WB)/Werewolf(RG) subthemes carried into the 2 colour guilds.

Also, b/c of the merging of the shards, we can see now developments like enemy colour shards! =D 
I think they might visit a 3 color block next, but its probably not going to be alara, its too soon after alara.
I hope we're revisiting Lorwyn or a completely new block.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Or new 3 color plane, where another 3 mana combination will get name like Esper, Jund, Junk, Bant, Naya. Complating cycle of triple land, charms, outposts, ... . 3 mana planeswalker. 3 mana legendary comanders.

WRB -  
WRU- dega
BUG 
... . 
It probably won't be another multicolored  block. MaRo mentioned in a column that one of the reasons Alara block wasn't wildly popular was that it was too soon after the lats multicolored block (both the original Ravnica, and sharing Standard with Shadowmoor miniblock's hybrids).  So I wouldn't hold my breath for a multicolored block for the next 3-4 years, at least.
It probably won't be another multicolored  block. MaRo mentioned in a column that one of the reasons Alara block wasn't wildly popular was that it was too soon after the lats multicolored block (both the original Ravnica, and sharing Standard with Shadowmoor miniblock's hybrids).  So I wouldn't hold my breath for a multicolored block for the next 3-4 years, at least.

When I look back on Alara, many cards were bad designed and for me unpopular. Maybe when they did better cards or another mechanic, Alara would be more popularer.
Here's said column: www.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/Article.a...

Key quote:

"So how did our three-year return go? Not great. It turns out we were right about four years being the lower cap. We can go more than four years but Shards of Alara taught us we shouldn't go less. To make matters worse, I didn't think of hybrid as being multicolor. In my mind, at the time, it was this thing that wasn't gold cards, but I just missed that its multicolor nature would make the short turnaround feel even tighter. When people wrote me letters about how great it was thatZendikar didn't have much multicolor in it I knew for sure we had overstepped."
This baffles me. Hybrid allowed for monocolor decks to still exist while at the same time complimenting Shards tricolor rather well. I would think if any mistake had been made, it was making Alara Reborn all gold and thus forcing multicolor in limited. Some hybrid cards would have allowed for monocolor deckbuilding while still technically making it an all-multicolor set. They had to go back to mostly monocolor at some point but I'd think the color fixing available between Shadowmoor and Alara Reborn would have allowed for some highly flexible decks. On the other hand, I suppose the reaction was simply to Shards being a multicolor block after we just had the also multicolor Shadowmoor and Eventide. But hybrid and gold are two different types of multicolor and Shards is one of the only two blocks to date to have focused on tricolor while Ravnica and Shadowmoor had been all about two colors.

Ah well, at any rate they're behind us and R&D has decided on a four year span between multcolor blocks at minimum. So let's hope the next block manages to be as interesting as RTR is shaping up to be. It seems subthemes are their new favorite way of hinting at the next block:

Shards of Alara had a very subtle emphasis on lands given the tricolor nature of the block. Zendikar gave us Landfall which provided an additional boost for playing those Shardlands.

Zendikar had equipment as a noticeable subtheme and also featured plenty of counters, particularly in the case of level up creatures in RotE. Scars of Mirrodin brought Equipment back in full force and gave us Proliferate.

Scars of Mirrodin had some graveyard shenanigans going on, such as artifacts and creatures that could be sacrificed for some benefit. Innistrad featured Morbid and Undying, the latter of which had some interesting combinations with the -1/-1 counters present in Scars.

Innistrad had major dual color themes going on with the five primary tribes and just so happened to feature enemy-color counterparts to the ally-color Maclands that have become a staple of core sets. In addition, there's lots of ETB and flicker shenanigans going on. Return to Ravnica is the most multicolor block since Shards of Alara and features lots of ETB effects and abilities that work nicely with flickering, such as Detain and Evolve.

Return to Ravnica has featured enchantments as a major subtheme, particularly land enchantments, as well as creatures with defender. Interestingly enough, this is very similar to Zendikar which also focused on lands and featured lots of defenders.

IIRC it was confirmed next block will be set on a new plane. We're not getting a third return block in four years.
[<o>]
IIRC it was confirmed next block will be set on a new plane. We're not getting a third return block in four years.

Yeah Maro has confirmed that Friends is a brand new plane, not even seen in Planechase before.

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/4293492809...

Yeah Maro has confirmed that Friends is a brand new plane, not even seen in Planechase before.

I didm't realize it hadn't even been seen on planechase.  Dammit.  I wanted it to be Iquatana so bad. lol.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin

Not even in Planechase?  That's kind of a half bummer.  There are a lot of cool planes that would be perfect for a block.  Oh well.  Here's to hoping that "Friends" block is awesome.  Also, I'd be fine if we didn't have any return trips for a while.  I was sick of Mirrodin before New Phyrexia came out, and I'm already over Ravnica.  More new settings, please!

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

well. That's solved.
Good. MaRo promised me a penguin plane anyway.
Now I can't help but hope for contraptions and riggers in a steampunk setting next block.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Now I can't help but hope for contraptions and riggers in a steampunk setting next block.

'fraid not, for the same reason it won't be wedgeworld.  The last artifact block was too recent.  I heard a rumor it will be the return of Snow, based on some gatherer or rules tweak .

'fraid not, for the same reason it won't be wedgeworld.  The last artifact block was too recent.  I heard a rumor it will be the return of Snow, based on some gatherer or rules tweak .

I am pretty sure mark also said that there would be no riggers, on acount of steamflogger boss being to broken if there were. Dont quote me on this.
It seems to me that there is still a very large pool of cards and their corresponding themes from the legacy era that have not been given a modern frame. I like the 'frost' speculation: Return to Ice Age, anyone? I love multicolored cards, the flavor of ISD/DKA, and artifact blocks, but I am already ready for something completely different.

It may sound pathetic, but I am ready for a block that once it rotates the packs will be super cheap. My wallet hurts.

Please check out my Blog:

Magic the Gathering Adventures Blog

http://mtgadventures.blogspot.com/

Please check out my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rubiera22/featured

The most solid rumor I've seen says it's a new plane named Theros, which is Greek for Summer. So a Mediterranean seasons themed set?
Maybe, we seem overdue for a Greek themed plane, and the idea of metaphor and demiurge would fit well with an Enchantment block.  On the other hand, "Zendikar" is Arabic for "unbeliever" I am given to understand, and that was only relevant in the zaguest way that the "Gods" of the plane were monsters, and thus should not have been beleived in, and worship of the corrupted memories of such ceased in Rise.
We'll find out next weekend at PAX East (22-24 March)!

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

I know we've had two returns in the last three years, and three might be too much, but... Creative, Brand and R&D DO realize we have some loose ends, story-wise, piling up onto each other, right? There are three god-like entities devouring a plane whole, and because of that Gideon is tailing Jace & Chandra accross the multiverse, and Nissa (does someone remember her? Anyone?) is doing the same thing regarding Sorin.

Also, the new Phyrexians are prolly planning new plane invasions soon, and Karn, Elspeth and Koth should be looking for a way to defeat them (that should somehow involve Melira).

At least, Innistrad seems to be wrapp-oh wait! No, Garruk is still there, about to be brought in front of Avacyn before he manages to resume his search for Lili.

Oh, and Bolas is still plotting something regarding some plane or another.

Right now, Magic's storyline seems to be more convoluted than in any point during the Weatherlight saga. I'd really wish WotC resolved some of these loose ends before venturing into a new plane.
@WiseGreen: The thing about planeswalkers is all of their stories can be tied up in other planes, or at the very least we get an update on what they're doing every once in awhile. Really though the only thing that would "tie-up" a planeswalkers story is retirement or death. Otherwise they're going to be hopping from plane to plane getting into all kinds of trouble or dealing with forces beyond their control by the very nature of their lives.

For all practicle purposes Innistrad the plane is done storywise, Avacyn's back and everyone's relatively relieved. Garruk's story is seperate from that. We'll definately go back to Innistrad, but the story for now is done.

Mirrodin the plane is done storywise, it's New Phyrexia now. New Phyrexia will definately be returned to because the Phyrexians will be a continuous threat, but I'd imagine we're not going back there soon. They're going to appear invading a plane or two before hand if I had to guess. Then we'll get some almighty battle for old Mirrodin.

Ravnica's story was wrapped up during our first visit, and I have a feeling it'll be wrapped up this time also for all intents and purposes.

In anycase, I hope we do not have a greek inspired block, nor the return of snow lands. Snow lands make me think we're going to be getting another nordic/scandanavian inspired plane and I'm sooo done with vikings. A plane inspired by greece or greek mythology also bores me. Why not something interesting and fresh, Native American, Indian, Mesoamerican, or something not inspired by history but something completely fresh.

"He is prescient and intense, like a looming thunderstorm trying to whisper it's secrets into our incapable ears..."

Yeah, we will return to Zendikar. Someday. Eventually. It is the biggest unresolved post-mending plot.
But this will not be this year.

Zendikar was 2009. We only got to see Sorin again in 2011, and Jace+Gideon in 2012. I'd expect a return there only in 2015 or later.

[<o>]

In anycase, I hope we do not have a greek inspired block, nor the return of snow lands. Snow lands make me think we're going to be getting another nordic/scandanavian inspired plane and I'm sooo done with vikings. A plane inspired by greece or greek mythology also bores me. Why not something interesting and fresh, Native American, Indian, Mesoamerican, or something not inspired by history but something completely fresh.

Mesoamerican was done in Shards of Alara, it was one of the main inspirations for the Naya shard.
How about a plane with Southeast Asian - Indian themes?

Please check out my Blog:

Magic the Gathering Adventures Blog

http://mtgadventures.blogspot.com/

Please check out my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rubiera22/featured

How about a plane with Southeast Asian - Indian themes?

Now THAT would be AWESOME
I was really hoping for Muraganda but it was on a planes chase card
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck
Oh my.

A brand new plane.

"Friends".

Do the codenames have ANYTHING AT ALL to do with the content, even vaguely?

Perhaps they're ready to repeat and expand on the Mirrodin artifact land mistake?

Sprouting Sliver
Land Creature - Sliver Forest
Slivers you control have:
: Add to your manapool
Defender
0/1 

Sliver Ravager
Creatur - Sliver
Slivers have: "Sacrifice a sliver, add a +1/+1 counter on this creature"
Slivers have Modular 1
Oh my.

A brand new plane.

"Friends".

the next two are romans and countrymen.

I doubt it will be rome based b/c the midde set is called romans. 
Oh my.

A brand new plane.

"Friends".

Perhaps they're ready to repeat and expand on the Mirrodin artifact land mistake?

Sprouting Sliver
Land Creature - Sliver Forest
Slivers you control have:
: Add to your manapool
Defender
0/1 

Sliver Ravager
Creatur - Sliver
Slivers have: "Sacrifice a sliver, add a +1/+1 counter on this creature"
Slivers have Modular 1

They don't. Also modular wouldn't help any Sliver but Metallic Sliver and Venser's Sliver.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
Unless the Ravager said "Slivers you control are artifacts in addition to their other types". But I'd think they'd make an Etherium or Mycosynth Sliver for that purpose.

"Friends".

Chandler is back!

The codenames are used precisely to talk about future sets without spoilering anything about them, so no, there's no relation.

[<o>]
The original Mirrodin block was Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato...so no I don't think the code names actually have anything to do with the content of the set.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

We'll find out next weekend at PAX East (22-24 March)!

I kind of wish the new set would not be announced there, so that it could be "announced" two Mondays from now (April 1).
MaRo never said anything about Planechase from what I can remember, so we don't know if when he said 'new' he was including Planechase planes or not.
"freinds."

I think it will be tribal just based on the name. Possibly allies, or exalated 

They have said time and time again that the placeholder names have nothing to do with the actual mechanics of the set.

A brand new plane.

"Friends".

Perhaps it will be based on snarky Thursday night sitcoms...

A brand new plane.

"Friends".

Perhaps it will be based on snarky Thursday night sitcoms...

Oh, then I can't wait for next year's Huey/Dewey/Louie block!

[<o>]
For the unaware, "Friends", "Romans" and "Countrymen" make reference to a line in Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar". So if you start speculating about allies and/or slivers and/or rebels because of the placeholder name, then you'd better also speculate on the block being placed on an Elizabethan-England plane. Or on a Roman Republic plane. Or on a Roman Republic play on an Elizabethan-England plane, we might even get some keywords referencing theatre, who knows.
Sign In to post comments