DLCR: Shambleshark

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays other GTC card to rate is...

Shambleshark

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This is a very important card for simic.  It's an early beater that can get pretty big over the next few turns if you curve out right.

Discuss! 
the thing with simic is you want to get a smooth curve

so shambleshark is nice, but you'd only want 2 or 3 of it

and it's only a 2/1 so it can only evolve 2 or three things

3 if you have none, goes down if you have more
3-3.5. I haven't tried having "too many" Shamblesharks. I'd run 6 no problem.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Yeah I also agree that more shamblesharks are better. This isn't your "evolve everything" card, its your "keeps evolving" card. At 2 mana its in a perfect spot, evolving raptors and then getting evolved by all your other 2- 3- and 4-drops. As GC said, this is one of your most important simic cards. I can see 3 minimum on this card, even 3.5
I'll go 3.0 for this one. Sure a lot of them never make it past 3/2 (or even 2/1) but when they work they can be ridiculously effective. You can surprise evolve some of the lower toughness Simic creatures, and paying 2 CMC for a creature that will often attack the next turn as a 3/2 is way ahead of curve for 2 CMC. I've seen a number of these as high as 4/3.
Simic is by far my strongest guild winning several over 300 participant tourneys with it. This card gets over assessed I'm afraid to say. No higher than 2.5. Are you rating this higher than Cloudfin Raptor or Experiment One? As those cards are a decent way stronger than this. Are you rating this higher than Drakewing Krasis? As that card flat out wins games in multiples as well as being a really nice evolver.
Simic is by far my strongest guild winning several over 300 participant tourneys with it. This card gets over assessed I'm afraid to say. No higher than 2.5. Are you rating this higher than Cloudfin Raptor or Experiment One? As those cards are a decent way stronger than this. Are you rating this higher than Drakewing Krasis? As that card flat out wins games in multiples as well as being a really nice evolver.

If Drakewing Krasis could evolve, it would be much better than Shambleshark, but it doesn't.  3.0 is usually card I'm glad to run as many of as come around.  When drafting Simic you'll see several Shamblesharks and want one most of those times.   keeps others from picking them so they're available well into a pack, which is nice.  Flash is a solid trick, too--it takes out a Firefist Striker or unBattalioned Wojek Halberdiers or a Daring Skyjek while evolving an Experiment One or Cloudfin Raptor.

Not higher than Raptor or Experiment, but those are strong 3.5s.  I don't expect a 3.5 to be passed to me more than once in a draft.
There are exactly three evolvers I would take over this:  Cloudfin, Experiment, and Croc.

Unfortunately, the only time I've ever seen the Shark and I'm in Simic is if one of those three is also in the pack.  Which just sucks. 

That said, solid creature, normally about a 2.5-3.0.  Always include if I'm in Simic, though there are a handful of other things I'd pick over it.