Quicksilver Thoughts - Commanders Galore!

62 posts / 0 new
Last post
A friend of mine has asked me to create some commanders for her EDH group, and since I love and appreciate this friend I've thrown up this thread to hold the ideas and refine the ideas for balance and fun.

A basic Green idea:

Morla of the Aria
Legendary Creature - Human Druid
Morla of the Aria gets +1/+1 for each creature type among non-shapeshifter creatures you control.
Morla of the Aria gets +1/+1 for each card type among non-artifact permanents you control.
2/2 
why nonartifact. that came out of no where. if you are worried about seat of the synod, don't

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
@theatog -- gonna take a shot in the dark and say it's no artifacts because it's a druid who doesn't flourish off of the mechanical aspects of the world. Looks more like a flavor based decision more then anything.

~SE++

http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/index.php

So it's a 6/6 every time you play it?

These are cool ideas that might warrant two different cards.

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

I don't think "Legendary" is considered a card type, so it's a 5/5.

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Your forgeting about lands. 

Maybe you opened with four Elvish Spirit Guides.

In commander.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

:D Thanks for this and I can't wait to see what more comes from you, but I think I'll submit her with the abilities saying "...other...."
Yah, tha's boss I s'pose - but you think Human be the best race on the mic? And where that flavor went, yo? But, you know I'm inclined to be all o'er this crad in EDH! Just mixin' it up with all them different cratures! I don'o if y'all be into this, but check out this line o' textual letters that a ninja be about to type:

"At the beginnin' of yo' upkeep, if the non-changlin' creatures on the battlefield have at least 100 different types amongst them, you win this grame/gain a hundred life/gain control o' all those little guys/somethin' supra cool yo."

100 don't have to be that numba either, kids. Just look up a list o' numbers if ya need ideas. . .
changling counts as 1 creature type for this ?

Oh. Yes, I am. Then again...who needs lands these days with all the 0-drop mana rocks and mana-men? :P (Joking...don't shoot me...)

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Very tarmogoyfian
This just seems tedious. Scion of the Wild is okay because it only asks you to keep track of one number, which you can figure out at a glance. This one asks you two keep track of two different numbers at once, which means that you have to go over every last one of your permanents and keep a running tally. Twice. Every time you cast something. It's more time consuming than Sensei's Divining Top.

I did find a bit of inspiration from your idea, though, if you don't mind me posting a little something:

Show

Wildlife Researcher

Creature -- Human
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, draw a card if no other creature you control shares a creature type with it.
"As the discoverer of this new species, I elect to name it after myself." —Brushell Wagg, zoologist
1/3 
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
I think one of the issues with counting creature types will be that EDH decks tend to see a fair number of older cards, and after the Great Creature Type Update (and subsequent microupdates), the printed types and the oracle types might differ by a fair bit. For instance, will you remember that Seton's Scout is also an Archer and a Scout, or that Nameless Race has no creature type? (No, I don't know why you'd play either of them in EDH, this is just a thought experiment.)
Centaur Druid Scout Archer!?

That's more than a snake elf druid!
I don't mind that at all, Libe. Lemme try this revised version:

Morla of the Aria
Legendary Creature - Human Druid
Morla of the Aria  gets +1/+1 for each creature you control that doesn't share a creature type with another creature you control.
Whenever you cast a creature spell, if it doesn't share a creature type with a creature you control, you may draw a card.
2/2 
A thought experiment, since this is Commander-specific:

[b]Vita Ex Nihilo[/b]
Legendary Creature - Elemental
Non-creature permanents you control have ": Add to your mana pool."
The wellspring of worlds.
1/1

'Kayso, turns out to be a horrible idea.
Nail, Queen of Rust
Legendary Creature - Elf Warrior Shaman
Nail, Queen of Rust has double strike as long as it's equipped.
At the beginning of your upkeep, Nail deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of artifact cards in your graveyard.
3/2 
Lets see if I can remember my Latin.

Life from nothing? Or life of nothing? Something like that.
Lets see if I can remember my Latin. Life from nothing? Or life of nothing? Something like that.

"Life from nothing" was my intention, but since I don't really know any Latin I was kinda taking a stab in the dark.
Brianna de la Croix
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
Wither
: Move a -1/-1 counter from target creature onto another target creature.
"I'm just trying to make a living folks. Why don't we put the holy books down and talk a little business?"
2/2 
Lahel, the Endless Whisper
Legendary Creature - Bird Wizard
Flying
Whenever a spell is countered, you may draw a card.
: Counter target spell that shares a creature type or artifact type with a permanent you control.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
1/3
Haile the Invincible
Legendary Creature - Kor Soldier
Damage is dealt to Haile the Invincible in the form of +1/+1 counters.
Spells targeting creatures you control cost more to cast for each +1/+1 counter on Haile the Invincible.
2/3
A note: I'm very definitely accepting critique. I want these to be as balanced as we can make them before real actual players start using them.
so far none of them make you combo out fast or give you buckets of resources so I'm sure they'll be fine
Aaaand skipping ahead to shards concepts:

Krystal the Witch-Hunter
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior Shaman
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may search your libary for an enchantment with 'enchant player' and cast it without paying its mana cost.
If Krystal the Witch-Hunter would deal damage to a player or planeswalker, it deals double that damage instead.
2/2
Vixia, Rising in Wrath
Legendary Creature - Phoenix
Flying, Haste
When Vixia, Rising in Wrath enters the battlefield it gains double strike until end of turn.
: Return Vixia, Rising in Wrath from your command zone or graveyard to your hand.
3/3

Fleamane, Nezumi Assassin
Legendary Creature - Rat Assassin
Deathtouch
: Destroy target creature, then put Fleamane, Nezumi Assassin in its owner's command zone.
A flash of blood-black steel and a throttled scream are history's only records of him.
1/1 
Canyon-Maw
Legendary Creature - Wurm
Whenever Canyon-Maw blocks or becomes blocked, put all creatures blocking or blocked by it into their owners' command zones.
With sapience came the curse of unending hunger. The wurm still cannot decide which is worse.
5/4

So...yeah. Super Engulfing Slagwurm.
Aishara, Angel of Dreams
Legendary Creature - Angel Cleric
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, search your library for a non-aura enchantment card, reveal it, and put it into your command zone. Shuffle your library afterwards.
Aishara, Angel of Dreams has all abilities of enchantment cards in your command zone.
3/4
Vixia, Rising in Wrath
Legendary Creature - Phoenix
Haste
When Vixia, Rising in Wrath enters the battlefield it gains double strike until end of turn.
: Return Vixia, Rising in Wrath from your command zone or graveyard to your hand.
3/3

Other than the perplexing lack of Flying on a phoenix, this is nice.

Fleamane, Nezumi Assassin
Legendary Creature - Rat Assassin
Deathtouch
: Destroy target creature, then put Fleamane, Nezumi Assassin in its owner's command zone.
A flash of blood-black steel and a throttled scream are history's only records of him.
1/1 

It seems like you're using the Command Zone a bit unnecessarily. Exiling Fleamane would be functionally identical in this case, unless it's controller wants to give it up to the Exile zone for some reason.

Canyon-Maw
Legendary Creature - Wurm
Whenever Canyon-Maw blocks or becomes blocked, put all creatures blocking or blocked by it into their owners' command zones.
With sapience came the curse of unending hunger. The wurm still cannot decide which is worse.
5/4

So...yeah. Super Engulfing Slagwurm.

Same issue. Exile works just fine on this card without it looking so strange, and cluttering the Command zone needlessly.

The rest of your cards work nicely, and they have interesting design.
Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the cow jumped over the moon. The little dog laughed to see such sport, And the Dish ran away with the Spoon. He ran from conviction, and fed his addiction as the Dish heated the Spoon... The Spoon begged to go, but the Dish shouted : "NO!!" "The heroin will be ready soon!" "Any time doing the right thing is funny as hell, it's probably Chaotic Good." IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2jcu9fs.png)
I'll ponder your statements and edit flying into the pheonix >.>

Sasha, Herald of Heroes
Legendary Creature - Moonfolk Wizard
Whenever Sasha, Herald of Heroes enters your command zone gain an emblem with, "Legendary creature spells you control cost less to cast."
1/3
I'll ponder your statements and edit flying into the pheonix >.>

I was just starting to come around to the idea of a furious roadrunner covered in flames.

Sasha, Herald of Heroes
Legendary Creature - Moonfolk Wizard
Whenever Sasha, Herald of Heroes leaves your command zone gain an emblem with, "Legendary creature spells you control cost less to cast."
1/3 

I do like this design. Although a deck built around it could possibly be a bit too strong.
Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the cow jumped over the moon. The little dog laughed to see such sport, And the Dish ran away with the Spoon. He ran from conviction, and fed his addiction as the Dish heated the Spoon... The Spoon begged to go, but the Dish shouted : "NO!!" "The heroin will be ready soon!" "Any time doing the right thing is funny as hell, it's probably Chaotic Good." IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2jcu9fs.png)
I wouldn't say it's a bit too strong. But I would prefer the effect to "when it enters your command zone" rather than leaving it.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I wouldn't say it's a bit too strong. But I would prefer the effect to "when it enters your command zone" rather than leaving it.

Why?
1) semblance anvil heartless summoning they cost 2~3 plus a drawback. 

2) It's more interactive. people would either want to keep your commander in play, until you have like a sac outlet. Or they have to find a way to get rid of it without giving it the chance to go back to the command zone.

The way you have it now, you get it immediately the first time you cast him. There's no denying it besides maybe stifle, Which kinda sucks and especially the effect yields a permanent emblem.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Sound like good points to me. Edit'd.
Aishara, Angel of Dreams
Legendary Creature - Angel Cleric
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, search your library for a non-aura enchantment card, reveal it, and put it into your command zone. Shuffle your library afterwards.
Aishara, Angel of Dreams has all abilities of enchantment cards in your command zone.
3/4

Should say "into the command zone" and "cards you own in the command zone." Like the battlefield and exile, there's only one command zone.
And now for allied-color commanders!

Lisya, the Wandering Storm
Legendary Creature - Human Archer
Reach
Whenever a creature with reach you control deals damage to a creature, it deals that much damage to that creature's controller.
: Choose one - each creature with reach you control deals 1 damage to each attacking creature, or each creature with reach you control deals 1 damage to each blocking creature.
3/3
Playing with archer.dec sounds like fun, but your creature doesn't seem to have white abilities! :/ You could probably change some numbers, otherwise this creature has exactly the same converted mana cost and exactly the same power + toughness as Greatbow Doyen, the other lord for archer creatures with the same mechanic..
Omg Aishara is so beautifully brilliant.