Land Within The Winds

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Has anyone dealt with the Lands Within the Winds or the Feywild much in Dark Sun?

So far my party has encountered Eladrin from there, and depending on how things go may soon be heading there.

My original goal was to basically play out www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/d... Fools Grove because it would so strongly contrast the deadly seriousness of Dark Sun with the "lolwut" strangensess of the Feywild. After doing a bit more reading though, it seems the standard rendition of the Feywild is 'European Fairytales are real' with brownies and pixies and evil witches. That, and the party recently hit level 7, so I'd have to do some serious scaling of encounters to make it interesting combat.

From the limited official 4e Dark Sun stuff all I know about the Lands Within the Winds is:

• Arcane Magic has destroyed most of it

• Eladrin are angry about this

Does anyone have any additional information -2e or 4e- about the Land Within The Winds? Campaign-specific renditions would also be welcome. Oh, and is anyone aware of any other official articles or campaigns that are similar strange & light-hearted?

Feywild is a 4e concept in my opinion, don't know if its fact. Eladrin leave the lands within the wind because it is slowly dying. Feywild creatures are even more exotic and more dangerous because of the conditions they have to go through. Also some Fae left to the real world and were warped by Dark Sun. See Sand Brides.
Ant Farm
Feywild is a 4e concept in my opinion, don't know if its fact. Eladrin leave the lands within the wind because it is slowly dying. Feywild creatures are even more exotic and more dangerous because of the conditions they have to go through. Also some Fae left to the real world and were warped by Dark Sun. See Sand Brides.

Thanks for the sand bride reference!

Any thoughts on how you might describe the Land Within The Winds if your party happened to travel there?
Magical Jungle that seem to be dying. The leaves and greenery are turned to black. The buildings are practically dust. Those that are still living their either are very powerful or very dangerous.

The Eladrin that are living in the Lands Within are mostly fractured people holding on to the ruins of their own society.  
Ant Farm
Now that we have Ashes of Athas distribution, check out Chapter 5 (especially AOA5-2, Within the Wind.).

In that adventure...

Show

We placed the Eladrin city of lost Samarthia within Dragon's Bowl. The Lands Within the Wind could be accessed there, and the Eladrin would sometimes venture out on hunts (allowing PCs to meet them).

From the appendix: "Unwilling to accept that their lands were slowly dying they forswore arcane magic, embraced the Way, and withdrew into their own world. Unable to cope with reality, their society became stagnant. Everything that reminded them of the true state of the world was not just ignored but became forbidden. Better protected than most, the Samarthians managed to cling to some of the glory of the old days. Over the generations they became a proud, decadent and arrogant race, purposely ignoring everything that did not fit in their little world almost to the point of foolishness with strict cultural rules and taboos directing their lives."

The adventure expands upon those cultural ideas. We detailed taboos, a caste system, and how the hunt is part of their culture. In the adventure PCs had a chance to become part of the hunt, but could also try to pierce the border and enter the lands on their own. In Samarthia was something they needed, central to the overall campaign.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).