Hitting Someone Over the Head with your Staff

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

Can I please get some help on the rules when attacking with a Superior Implement.  For example, if a Cleric with the Staff Fighting feat and the Superior Implement Training (Quickbeam Staff) feat, attacks an enemy with the Hammering Wind power using this +1 Staff of Ruin Quickbeam Staff.  What effects apply?

1) The Staff of Ruin +1 item bonus to damage applies [True or False]
2) The  Energized (Thunder) bonus damage applies [True or False]
3) The Forceful distance increase applies [True or False]

As far as I can tell, the requirement of the power having the implement keyword is implied to get these bonuses but not explicitly stated.

Thank you 

Does the Power have the Implement keyword? Superior Implement bonuses apply, unless they have some secondary requirement (in this case you need to be doing Thunder damage to get the bonus damage from Energized).

Does the power have either the Implement or Weapon keyword? Staff of Ruin applies, so long as you are attacking with it/through it.
  It is a melee weapon power.

The Staff of Ruin item bonus to damage applies because that property applies to all damage rolls made through the staff.

The Superior Implement properties do not apply because it is not an implement power.

The Staff Fighting feat's passive effects apply. You can use the Stout property to have a [W] of 1d10 and should probably do so because you can not make off-hand attacks as part of the power.
... Staff Fighting feat's passive effects apply. You can use the Stout property to have a [W] of 1d10 and ...

what is this ? I really don't know
Bane of Gnomes. "An angel of snuggles is a bad match for evil gods." -Mike Mearls (Worlds&Monsters, p.72)
Neut might be under the impression that because Stout allows you to wield the staff as a 2her, you can increase the damage die. That isn't true though. It just opens up using powers that require a weapon wielded in two hands.
  Agh, you're right - I got it confused with something else. Stout just makes it function as a two-handed weapon (which wouldn't matter here but might with some other things).