The Murder Hobos (Party name)

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
A party I play in chose to name it'self the Murder Hobos, because we'll sleep anywhere, and we kill monsters and take their stuff.

Just think it's an amusing analogy.  Got any cool party names?  I'm all ears. 
My players are the "Friends of Hallomak," a character they all worked into their backstory so they'd have a reason to attend his funeral at our very first session.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Not many groups have named their party in my experience, but a few have that I can recall.

"Thunder Expeditions" - a group that was exploring Xen'drik in Eberron, led by Sylvestre d'Orien, captain of a ship called "The Tempest." It was very Indiana Jones.

"Valiants of the Vale" - a group that was playing through the Scales of War adventure path. Typical D&D heroic trope stuff.

"Shadowbane Inquisitives" - the name of the company under which a group operated, mostly in Sharn (Eberron). They were detectives and troubleshooters by and large. This was a very film noir game.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals | Full-Contact Futbol  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs | Re-Imagining Phandelver | Three Pillars of Immersion | Seahorse Run

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Not many groups have named their party in my experience, but a few have that I can recall.

"Thunder Expeditions" - a group that was exploring Xen'drik in Eberron, led by Sylvestre d'Orien, captain of a ship called "The Tempest." It was very Indiana Jones.

"Valiants of the Vale" - a group that was playing through the Scales of War adventure path. Typical D&D heroic trope stuff.

"Shadowbane Inquisitives" - the name of the company under which a group operated, mostly in Sharn (Eberron). They were detectives and troubleshooters by and large. This was a very film noir game.

Reminds me of something in 3.5e Complete Adventurers, Shadowbane Inquisitor, a prestige class.

Had a dwarf party that called themselves Sons of Kark, all from the clan of Kark, no less.

Had a mercenary company called the Bloodhawks, veteran soldiers no longer fit for society constantly hunting for battle, another called the Golden Lions, named after the gold coin of their homeland. The bloodhawks really didn't care about pay, so long as they got to lead the vanguard... a bloodthirsty lot seeking battle-glory. The Golden Lions were more interested in the pay, but also their reputations were so spotless, kings would hire them; they knew court etiquette and many were of the noble class themselves, and there was a charisma requirement and a background check to join the company.

We currently have some buccaneers called The 'Venture Company, a merchant navy group.

We had one group simply called The Good Guys. 2 Paladins and a good priest/demon slayer, and a ranger/undead stalker. All about smashing evil monsters or destroying evil artifacts.

And the Duelists... Whip, Snake and Panther... 3 duelists, no less.

The White Knights of Galleon were a company whose sole source of income were from jousts, except for the occasional trial by combat. You might say they were effective trial-by-combat lawyers.

We never go out of our way to make up the names, it just comes up naturally, like a nickname. My DM style involves having several campaigns going at once so each player usually has 4 or 5 characters alive at the same time, so having a name for the campaign is helpful, but not something we generally do intentionally, especially since the members of any given campaign often fluctuate, especially in large cities.

Generally the campaign itself gets named, The Torian Campaign, The Corbin Campaign, The Vyperian Campaign, The Alvaran Expedition, The Drakkomenn Campaign, The Zhizzaaran Campaign, etc.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.

Reminds me of something in 3.5e Complete Adventurers, Shadowbane Inquisitor, a prestige class.

Had a dwarf party that called themselves Sons of Kark, all from the clan of Kark, no less.

Had a mercenary company called the Bloodhawks, veteran soldiers no longer fit for society constantly hunting for battle, another called the Golden Lions, named after the gold coin of their homeland. The bloodhawks really didn't care about pay, so long as they got to lead the vanguard... a bloodthirsty lot seeking battle-glory. The Golden Lions were more interested in the pay, but also their reputations were so spotless, kings would hire them; they knew court etiquette and many were of the noble class themselves, and there was a charisma requirement and a background check to join the company.

We currently have some buccaneers called The 'Venture Company, a merchant navy group.

We had one group simply called The Good Guys. 2 Paladins and a good priest/demon slayer, and a ranger/undead stalker. All about smashing evil monsters or destroying evil artifacts.

And the Duelists... Whip, Snake and Panther... 3 duelists, no less.

The White Knights of Galleon were a company whose sole source of income were from jousts, except for the occasional trial by combat. You might say they were effective trial-by-combat lawyers.

We never go out of our way to make up the names, it just comes up naturally, like a nickname. My DM style involves having several campaigns going at once so each player usually has 4 or 5 characters alive at the same time, so having a name for the campaign is helpful, but not something we generally do intentionally, especially since the members of any given campaign often fluctuate, especially in large cities.

Generally the campaign itself gets named, The Torian Campaign, The Corbin Campaign, The Vyperian Campaign, The Alvaran Expedition, The Drakkomenn Campaign, The Zhizzaaran Campaign, etc.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.

Yes, the player who coined the name played the character who was the company's defacto leader. He had that prestige class.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals | Full-Contact Futbol  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs | Re-Imagining Phandelver | Three Pillars of Immersion | Seahorse Run

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

tonight a group at the bi-weekly LFR event made an adventuring company called "Working Title". It came up several times in the RP and was worth it each time.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
The first 4e party I was in was "Too Big To Fail."

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Until RL broke it up our LFR group decided to do the Abeir mini champaign and we were the "Vigillent Seekers" to wich my character would add "of Doom"

My character got the party together and lead them to the new continent to stop the escape / awakening  of the great evil that he had forseen. After finishing the mini I was hopeing to cherry pick all the rest of the mods we played to only do adventures where we stop some horrible thing from happening.  
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.

A party I am in right now is known as

‘The Pirates of the Barnacle’s Nipple”
we got us an airship Cool
we fly around and steal swag.

Thunder Domes-a group of Dwarven Monks with shaved heads with a habit of headbutting monsters into submission or death. 

...and in the ancient voice of a million squirrels the begotten chittered "You have set upon yourselves a great and noble task, dare you step further, what say you! What say you!"

A party I ran for ended up calling themselves "The King's Justice" after the party's elf barbarian made it a habit of screaming that phrase every time before she kicked open a door or charged into the fray and started stabbing things.  It was somewhat hilarious because the group never really went out of their way to delve into the politics of the land to see if there actually was a king (whose justice they purported to dispense).  They just assumed there probably was one somewhere and that he wouldn’t mind them beating things up in his name.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

The party that I am in is currently called The Three Barrens. (But there is 4 people in our party) We own a city which has three towers each to a barren and the underground is owned by the dwarf player.
A group I dm called themselves "The Beautiful People"  for obvious reasons

A robotech game I played in "Homo Nobilis" because of the exceeding high opinion we had of our characters