Classic MUC in casual

35 posts / 0 new
Last post

I'm getting back into Magic after a six year hiatus and I've decided the first deck I'm going to rebuild will be a Legacy-legal, mono-blue control deck. I'll be playing in a supposedly "competitive casual" environment that seems to be mostly made up of aggro decks with some combo. In addition to adhering to the Legacy banned list, I'm only going to build this deck with pre-8th Edition cards because I've always hated the new borders (this is a casual deck, after all). Here's a VERY rough deck I've constructed made from remnants of my sold collection and based on a deck I used to run back in the day:

In addition, I currently have these cards that I could use which fit my deck criteria:

[deck]4 Masticore
1 Morphling

4 Hesitation
4 Miscalculation
4 Daze
4 Dismiss
4 Rewind
4 Mana Leak
1 Force Spike

4 Standstill
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Impulse
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Feldon's Cane

4 Boomerang
4 Energy Field
4 Opposition
4 Propaganda
4 Evacuation
4 Nevinyrral's Disk
4 Bribery
4 Capsize
1 Treachery[/deck]

I think I have enough cards to choose from to build a relatively solid and synergistic competitive-casual deck. Any ideas? Comments? I've cut myself off from the world of Magic since I stopped playing. What's been going on since Time Spiral?
Definitely lots of counters and draw. I guess my concern is your win con. this deck looks very blue: great at stalling things but to what end? I'd run those 4 copies of Bribery if you're trying to keep the deck within the cardpool you have. That way, you could counter the early stuff, steal their biggest creature and bash them with it.

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

Definitely lots of counters and draw. I guess my concern is your win con. this deck looks very blue: great at stalling things but to what end? I'd run those 4 copies of Bribery if you're trying to keep the deck within the cardpool you have. That way, you could counter the early stuff, steal their biggest creature and bash them with it.

Morphling is the quintessential blue finisher. Or was. Maybe it isn't anymore, I have no clue. I put Treachery in instead of Bribery strictly because it untaps lands, allowing for more counters and draw on turn 5. I might swap it.  Suggested additions don't necessarily have to be cards from the list I posted. As long as they're pre-8th/Mirrodin cards, I'd love to hear what you guys think.
I think you could definitely do more damage by taking their biggest threat. I was really only into Unglued cards at that point in Magic so I'm a little foggy about what strategies worked back then. Seems like you've got a solid deck, I'd like to hear how it performs against your friends. Do they have more current stuff or are they fans of the pre 8th sets too?

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Jace, the Mind Sculptor is the new Morphling. Anyway, I'd try mixing in some blue fat like Sea Drake and Serendib Efreet. You have enough cheap counters that Drake shouldn't hurt too bad.
I think you could definitely do more damage by taking their biggest threat. I was really only into Unglued cards at that point in Magic so I'm a little foggy about what strategies worked back then. Seems like you've got a solid deck, I'd like to hear how it performs against your friends. Do they have more current stuff or are they fans of the pre 8th sets too?

They're more current than I am. Some older cards are mixed in, but it seems the bulk of what's being played came out after I quit.

Jace, the Mind Sculptor is the new Morphling. Anyway, I'd try mixing in some blue fat like Sea Drake and Serendib Efreet. You have enough cheap counters that Drake shouldn't hurt too bad.

Hmmm. Possibly. I think I'd use Masticore since it's still undercosted and it's a bit more versatile.
A 120$ card is not anywhere near "the new morphling", what are you smoking to come to that conclusion?
I miss the old days.
Well it sure as heck is better than morphling! Lol

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

Duh morphling is an 12$ card, power level does = price.

But saying its the new version of something is downright stupid.

Considering  the new version of morphling is actually Thornling and Torchling.
I miss the old days.
Well I think the better way to interpret that is "it's the better finisher for MUC in legacy than Morphling"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

Morphling is the quintessential blue finisher. Or was. Maybe it isn't anymore, I have no clue

Frost Titan is a solid finisher.

InkWell Leviathan + Spreading Seas really finishes games.

Even Delver Of Secrets / Insectile Aberration can close games.

Sphinx Of Jwar Isle is a budget option. 

Guile is fun in MUC.

How to autocard: 

Show

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard!

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Remove the *'s to autodeck!

Morphling is the quintessential blue finisher. Or was. Maybe it isn't anymore, I have no clue

Guile is fun in MUC.

Looks like creature power creep has gotten worse since I left. 6/6 with abilities for 6 with no drawback or requiring a 2nd color? Come on. They're making older creatures completely obsolete. And I just read about the 2010 rule changes. What the hell, Wizards?
Yup, a lot has changed bro. 
Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
Well tbh alot of the creatures from back in the day just sucked but the other spells were really high up in poer level. WOTC seems to think creature combat is more important.
I miss the old days.
Well tbh alot of the creatures from back in the day just sucked but the other spells were really high up in poer level. WOTC seems to think creature combat is more important.

It's like they're trying to turn Magic into Pokemon: biiiiig scary creatures and simple combat.

Anyway, anyone else have any deck input? 
I don't want to get back on the 98-09 ride. :/

If you want to adjust for the creature focus, look into Misthollow Griffin. It plays well with Force of Will.  
Seriously - use Bribery.
Beating the opponent to death with his own stuff is great.

You don't need to worry about your own fatties or finishers, and your best creature will always cost 5.
I don't want to get back on the 98-09 ride. :/

If you want to adjust for the creature focus, look into Misthollow Griffin. It plays well with Force of Will.  

I like it, but it's not a pre-8th Edition card. I'm going for flavor.

Seriously - use Bribery.
Beating the opponent to death with his own stuff is great.

You don't need to worry about your own fatties or finishers, and your best creature will always cost 5.

Oh, I know. I've used Bribery in the past. I just love the untap mechanic that Treachery has. I'll swap them and try it out.
Have you considered going Landstill? Looking only for pre-modern cards seriously limits your finishers, since  creatures really became way stronger.
Have you considered going Landstill? Looking only for pre-modern cards seriously limits your finishers, since  creatures really became way stronger.

Landstill is a Legacy deck and my duals, moats, and other legacy staples are long gone. I'm not investing thousands in a format that I don't plan on playing competitively. I know I'm limiting myself with classic cards, but I'm not looking to build a worldbeater here. Just something fun to pilot while shutting the game down for my opponent.

Landstill is a Legacy deck and my duals, moats, and other legacy staples are long gone. I'm not investing thousands in a format that I don't plan on playing competitively. I know I'm limiting myself with classic cards, but I'm not looking to build a worldbeater here. Just something fun to pilot while shutting the game down for my opponent.

You can play budget landstill (the early builds where mono- vintage decks btw), just add 4 Standstill and some more premodern manlands (Faerie Conclavex4, Stalking Stonesx2) while keeping most of your "standard-muc" layout. .. if it weren't for you premodern restriction ... I really love casual landstill ninjas (ninjutsu is an ability, no spell), with some cards with effects when cycled (Decree of Justice and the like)
You can play budget landstill (the early builds where mono- vintage decks btw), just add 4 Standstill and some more premodern manlands (Faerie Conclavex4, Stalking Stonesx2) while keeping most of your "standard-muc" layout. .. if it weren't for you premodern restriction ... I really love casual landstill ninjas (ninjutsu is an ability, no spell), with some cards with effects when cycled (Decree of Justice and the like)

I'll look at some decklists and see what I still have laying around.

Engineered Explosives is a fun one for me if you're targeting cost 0 or 1 permanents.  It won't get as strong as your Powder Keg, but it's great early on and for Legacy / Vintage where cards like Chrome Mox, Lion's Eye Diamond and Mox Opal are going very strongly.  Aside from that, looks like a very solid counter deck.  Have you seen Mutavault?  Runs amazingly off of the Factory as well.

~SE++ 

http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/index.php

Oh, I know. I've used Bribery in the past. I just love the untap mechanic that Treachery has. I'll swap them and try it out.

Why not both?

Treachery the best thing he has on the board, then immediately Bribery the best thing he doesn't.

Guile is fun in MUC.

Looks like creature power creep has gotten worse since I left. 6/6 with abilities for 6 with no drawback or requiring a 2nd color? Come on. They're making older creatures completely obsolete. And I just read about the 2010 rule changes. What the hell, Wizards?

Yes, very much power creep. Most people won't even play vanilla creatures anymore...

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Why not both?

Treachery the best thing he has on the board, then immediately Bribery the best thing he doesn't.

But what do I take out?

Yes, very much power creep. Most people won't even play vanilla creatures anymore...

I like Mons's Goblin Raiders as much as the next guy, but I'd never play them in a deck. I like creatures with abilities, but I don't like that creatures have become way undercosted for what they bring to the table.
that's the game now unfortunately. WotC trying to pull in a wider audience i suppose...

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Engineered Explosives is a fun one for me if you're targeting cost 0 or 1 permanents.  It won't get as strong as your Powder Keg, but it's great early on and for Legacy / Vintage where cards like Chrome Mox, Lion's Eye Diamond and Mox Opal are going very strongly.  Aside from that, looks like a very solid counter deck.  Have you seen Mutavault?  Runs amazingly off of the Factory as well.

~SE++ 

I'm slowly making my way through the newer sets. I hadn't seen Mutavault yet.

Thanks for the compliment.
that's the game now unfortunately. WotC trying to pull in a wider audience i suppose...

You mean a younger audience.

You mean a younger audience.

yes, yes I do. You just gotta embrace it though. R&D isn't gonna wake up suddenly and be like "you know what we need? more balanced cards with fun drawbacks that you have to come up with creative strategies to integrate into yor deck to make the whole thing work!"

I dunno how Standard was back in the day (only been playing since Mercadian Masques) but today it's like "if your deck doesn't win on turn 3, it's garbage." Rather sad because it kind of kills the creativity.I had several strange decks brewed up and after putting a few up on the forums, I've scrapped most of em because they "aren't competitive enough." I like playing weird strategies... but I also like winning and it's hard to want to play something that is gonna lose by turn 5 or earlier when played against a current archetype.

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

I dunno how Standard was back in the day (only been playing since Mercadian Masques) but today it's like "if your deck doesn't win on turn 3, it's garbage." Rather sad because it kind of kills the creativity.I had several strange decks brewed up and after putting a few up on the forums, I've scrapped most of em because they "aren't competitive enough." I like playing weird strategies... but I also like winning and it's hard to want to play something that is gonna lose by turn 5 or earlier when played against a current archetype.

And that, children, is why we play casual games with our friends instead of tournaments: because we enjoy playing, not the glory of winning all the time.

~SE++ 

And that, children, is why we play casual games with our friends instead of tournaments: because we enjoy playing, not the glory of winning all the time.

~SE++ 

Dude, I don't play tournaments. I just play with friends. Haven't even been down to a FNM or other game night at the local shop. It's just hard to look at your deck the same way after someone tells you it's not competitive. I'm not a Spike player. I don't have to win every time. but sometimes it is nice lol
I don't subscribe to every bit of advice I get but I don't want to have my decks only be good in the vacuum that is my meta, ya know?

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Dude, I don't play tournaments. I just play with friends. Haven't even been down to a FNM or other game night at the local shop. It's just hard to look at your deck the same way after someone tells you it's not competitive. I'm not a Spike player. I don't have to win every time. but sometimes it is nice lol
I don't subscribe to every bit of advice I get but I don't want to have my decks only be good in the vacuum that is my meta, ya know?

Yes and no.  I understand building competatively, but at the same time... building bad (but themed) decks can be fun to play with friends.  Hell, I built one titled "Mother-In-Law" and my friend built one titled "Ex-Wife" and we played them against each other.  We roleplayed every card, and found it riotously funny and enjoyed ourselves.  We chose cards not based on their effectiveness, but based on their card names so we could have some fun with them.  I dunno, I guess at this point, I just enjoy playing, not even winning.

~se++ 

I updated my deck a bit and edited this post after some goldfishing. I added a Masticore to help control the board and add a 2nd win condition. I'm on the fence about Brainstorm. I like that it digs 3 deep for U, but it has shown to be a possible tempo killer when you effectively draw dead for 2 turns without the shuffling that fetchlands provide. I'm considering Whispers of the Muse for its recursion, Impulse for its deeper digging, and Accumulated Knowledge for late game large draws. I added a couple Briberys and took out a Treachery. I'll see how that turns out. I threw in 3 Mana Leaks to give me a total of 17 counters. I had included a couple Nevinyrral's Disks briefly, but the average casting cost of the deck was slowly climbing and I figured they were mostly redundant anyway.

a main concern would be the lack of card draw - you have 4 draw spells and 8 counterspells that work best if you can discard cards - id at least add 4 think twice

i wouldnt run bribery except in sideboard - depends on meta though.

PS as for the discussion of creatures becoming powerful, control decks are still toptier so creatures becoming more powerful and controlresistant rather than waste of cardboard seems a good move imo.
Sign In to post comments