Looking for input on Morninglord Wrathvoker

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's news to nobody that Invokers make good Morninglords and can achieve striker-level damage without sacrificing much control.
Yet I did have some trouble finding a lot of information about it that goes beyond the basics. And while I did get the impression that this practically builds itself, I would still like to hear your honest opinions since I have fairly little experience with Invokers.

Ignore the defenses, this build is naked and I haven't put much effort into thinking about items yet, but stuff I want to get includes Accurate Radiant Staff + Shard, Pelor's Sun Blessing, Curse Eye Tattoo, Ring of the Radiant Storm, Diamond Cincture and Torc of Power Preservation

Anyway, here's what I got so far. I'm grateful for any responses.

Show

Wrathvoker Morninglord, level 30
Half-Elf, Invoker, Morninglord, Demigod
Divine Covenant Option: Covenant of Wrath
Divine Spark Option: Divine Spark Constitution
Divine Spark Option: Divine Spark Wisdom
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Knack for Success
Detective (Detective Benefit)
Theme: Noble Adept

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 28, DEX 12, INT 14, WIS 28, CHA 14

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 16, DEX 10, INT 12, WIS 16, CHA 12

AC: 27 Fort: 38 Ref: 35 Will: 39
HP: 154 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 38

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +29, Heal +29, Insight +32, Perception +30, Religion +22

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +16, Arcana +17, Athletics +15, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +19, Dungeoneering +24, History +17, Intimidate +17, Nature +24, Stealth +16, Streetwise +17, Thievery +16

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Noble Adept Feature: Adept's Insight
Half-Elf Racial Power: Knack for Success
Invoker Feature: Rebuke Undead
Covenant of Wrath Power: Armor of Wrath
Feat Utility: Solar Enemy
Level 1 At-Will: Hand of Radiance
Level 1 At-Will: Sun Strike
Level 1 Encounter: Lightning's Revelation
Level 1 Daily: Silent Malediction
Level 2 Utility: Divine Call
Level 3 Encounter: Thunder of Judgment
Level 5 Daily: Searing Orb
Level 6 Utility: Demand Justice
Level 7 Encounter: Rain of Blood
Level 9 Daily: Cerulean Flames
Level 10 Utility: Angelic Messenger
Level 13 Encounter: Deadly Doubt (replaces Thunder of Judgment)
Level 15 Daily: Wall of Blades (replaces Silent Malediction)
Level 16 Utility: Shield of Justice
Level 17 Encounter: Brilliant Revelation (replaces Lightning's Revelation)
Level 19 Daily: Summon Angel of Light (replaces Searing Orb)
Level 22 Utility: Invoke Heroism
Level 23 Encounter: Word of Bewilderment (replaces Rain of Blood)
Level 25 Daily: Eye of the Sun (replaces Cerulean Flames)
Level 27 Encounter: Compel Action (replaces Deadly Doubt)
Level 29 Daily: Word of the Gods (replaces Wall of Blades)

FEATS
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Staff Expertise
Level 2: Battlewise
Level 4: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 6: Improved Initiative (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 24)
Level 8: Improved Defenses
Level 10: Divine Healer
Level 11: Solar Enemy
Level 12: Invoker's Blaze (Silvery Glow if my DM allows it)
Level 14: Superior Will
Level 16: Invoker Defense (retrained to Devastating Invocation at Level 23)
Level 18: Resilient Focus (retrained to Punishing Radiance at Level 22)
Level 20: Danger Sense (retrained to Invoked Devastation at Level 21)
Level 21: Radiant Advantage
Level 22: Invoker Implement Expertise
Level 24: Torm's Radiance
Level 26: Divine Mastery
Level 28: Epic Resurgence
Level 30: Epic Reflexes
Superior Will feels like it should be your 1st level feat, cause Silent Malediction?  (I see the words "replaces Silent Malediction", and don't know if those belong)

Can you reorder feats to get Punnishing Radiance @ 21, instead of 22?  Cunning Stalker might be a better auto-CA feat, just cause "painted targets should be dead targets, so CA on round 2 seems irrelevant".

Don't quote me on any of this, not my strength. 

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

You appear to be missing Punishing Radiance?  That should be "retrained into @ 21" type feat.  Not sure if you need Radiant Advantage.  I'd look into "Cunning Stalker" and hope that your radiant strikers can take out anyone you paint... so being better able to hit them next round is irrelevant: they're dead already.

When it comes to feats, I was unsure about which order to pick some of them. Punishing Radiance gets retrained into at level 22 when IIE grants expanded crit-range. I figured constant combat advantage would be a greater benefit (seeing how it's easier to hit than to crit), but I guess at higher levels it's easy enough to get CA for that not to be true.

I can also see why keeping Silent Malediction and getting Superior Will early makes sense (and like I said, I'm not very familiar with Invokers so I might easily overlook their Flame Spiral equivalents, so please point things like this out if you see them).
(I also see the words "replaces Thunder of Judgement", and I'm pretty sure those don't belong)

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

I don't think wrathvokers get too many (any?) flame spiral type powers.  Your focus should be "Paint the board, so that the radiant strikers can kill everything you painted" and "control the board so that everything they can't get to is useless"

The majority of your powers will give you and your allies CA if you hit.  So taking a feat so that duplicates a side advantage of "dazed" or "stunned" (or "dominated") seems ... unneeded.  You need your CA so that YOU can hit, and IME "Cunning Stalker" is brilliant for that.  If the enemies clump up, you're even better off than you would be with the CA they give you by not clumping up.

I don't think wrathvokers get too many (any?) flame spiral type powers.  Your focus should be "Paint the board, so that the radiant strikers can kill everything you painted" and "control the board so that everything they can't get to is useless"

The majority of your powers will give you and your allies CA if you hit.  So taking a feat so that duplicates a side advantage of "dazed" or "stunned" (or "dominated") seems ... unneeded.  You need your CA so that YOU can hit, and IME "Cunning Stalker" is brilliant for that.  If the enemies clump up, you're even better off than you would be with the CA they give you by not clumping up.

This. When everything is dazed and vul 10, thats not good enough for you?
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
I do see that now, thanks. 
What level are you starting at?

Lightning's Revelation, Thunder of Judgment, and Rain of Blood can take you through Paragon with no trouble at all.  I adore the ease of targeting on Thunder of Judgment over Brilliant Revelation/Deadly Doubt at 13, and there's nothing incredibly impressive at 17 either.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
What level are you starting at?

Early heroic. The exact level isn't certain and while I'd actually prefer to start around 4, I'd prefer to build this like I'm starting at level 1. 
Thunder of Judgment at 1st, keep it til at least 27th.

Once you're 16th, I like Brilliant Revelation as a rude soft control for monsters, but you may find you're better off with your Heroic encounter powers as far as 23rd.

Double taps in general (zone, ongoing, damage for attacking, etc) are all extra effective on a morninglord, so consider looking for those.

Frankly, I kinda like hybrid cleric|invoker a lot, so I'd consider that if I was starting at low level.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Oh, and IMO all your heroic dailies should be level 1s
So Brilliant Beacon and Binding Invocation of Chains over Searing Orb and Cerulean Flames?
Uhm no. Silent Malediction
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Did I mention Silent Malediction?
I doubt many DMs will allow me to take Silent Malediction at level 1, 5 and 9. I get that it's so good that I should take, keep, marry and love it forever, but I understood baldhermit to be talking about other heroic dailies.
I do like Brilliant Beacon.
What's this about bacon?
What's this about bacon?

Did someone say Bacon?

Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Thanks for Matyr for providing me with a cool image for this build.

I shuffled a couple of things around where the suggestions felt right to me. I would appreciate further comments if there's anything I'm still missing.

Show

Wrathvoker Morninglord, level 30
Half-Elf, Invoker, Morninglord, Demigod
Divine Covenant Option: Covenant of Wrath
Divine Spark Option: Divine Spark Constitution
Divine Spark Option: Divine Spark Wisdom
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Knack for Success
Detective (Detective Benefit)
Theme: Noble Adept

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 28, DEX 12, INT 14, WIS 28, CHA 14

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 16, DEX 10, INT 12, WIS 16, CHA 12

AC: 27 Fort: 38 Ref: 35 Will: 39
HP: 154 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 38

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +29, Heal +29, Insight +32, Perception +30, Religion +22

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +16, Arcana +17, Athletics +15, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +19, Dungeoneering +24, History +17, Intimidate +17, Nature +24, Stealth +16, Streetwise +17, Thievery +16

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Noble Adept Feature: Adept's Insight
Half-Elf Racial Power: Knack for Success
Invoker Feature: Rebuke Undead
Covenant of Wrath Power: Armor of Wrath
Feat Utility: Solar Enemy
Level 1 At-Will: Hand of Radiance
Level 1 At-Will: Sun Strike
Level 1 Encounter: Thunder of Judgment
Level 1 Daily: Silent Malediction
Level 2 Utility: Divine Call
Level 3 Encounter: Lightning's Revelation
Level 5 Daily: Brilliant Beacon
Level 6 Utility: Demand Justice
Level 7 Encounter: Rain of Blood
Level 9 Daily: Cerulean Flames
Level 10 Utility: Angelic Messenger
Level 15 Daily: Wall of Blades (replaces Brilliant Beacon)
Level 16 Utility: Shield of Justice
Level 19 Daily: Summon Angel of Light (replaces Cerulean Orb)
Level 22 Utility: Invoke Heroism
Level 23 Encounter: Word of Bewilderment (replaces Lightning's Revelation)
Level 25 Daily: Eye of the Sun (replaces Wall of Blades)
Level 27 Encounter: Compel Action (replaces Rain of Blood)
Level 29 Daily: Word of the Gods (replaces Summon Angel of Light)

FEATS
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Superior Will
Level 2: Staff Expertise
Level 4: Battlewise
Level 6: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 8: Improved Initiative (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 23)
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Solar Enemy
Level 12: Invoker's Blaze (Silvery Glow if my DM allows it)
Level 14: Cunning Stalker
Level 16: Danger Sense
Level 18: Invoker Defense (retrained to Devastating Invocation at Level 22)
Level 20: Resilient Focus (retrained to Invoker Implement Expertise at Level 21)
Level 21: Punishing Radiance
Level 22: Invoked Devastation
Level 24: Torm's Radiance
Level 26: Divine Mastery
Level 28: Epic Resurgence
Level 30: Epic Reflexes
I'd say drop Epic Reflexes, you're hosed there anyway but stuff that targets Reflex usually only does damage.  I'd say replace it with either...
1.  Intimidation training and Dreadful Invocation, combined with Invoker Implement Expertise or another method of expanding your crit range.  Can generate lots of extra attacks from your allies.
2.  Font of Radiance to turn your criticals into time bombs of extra radiant damage, again you'll want an expanded crit range.
Or combine them and focus on criticals for lots of hilarity.  Poor hapless schmuck is now a radiant time bomb, and he just ate multiple opportunity attacks to run away from you.  And you just recharged Compel Action.

Also, why Half Elf if you're not going Versatile Master?  Dwarf (or Mul) would offer you some extra toughness while keeping the Wis/Con setup.  With Mul, you could easily delay grabbing Superior Will until Paragon, and use Incredible Toughness to ward off Silent Malediction.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
I wasn't entirely sure what to get with Dilettante (Direct the Strike seems nice I guess). I also wasn't sure if I had the space for the feat (I guess I currently have) so I just went with Knack for Success and the willingness to switch it for any other Wis/Con race should they turn out to be superior.

It's true that my defenses need work. I guess I might want to also keep Invoker Defense to help my AC.