Action Points

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I spend an action point to take a standard action, but before I can launch my action another player uses an immediate interrupt to prevent the action from taking place, is my action point spent?

If I am dazed (i.e. "...can take either a standard action, a move action, or a minor action on your turn..."), can I use an action point to add another action during my turn?  
Yes, if you are dazed, you can spend an action point to gain an additional action that turn.  Also note that if with your single action you manage to remove the dazed effect (like by granting yourself a saving throw), you would the use of your other actions.
  Action points can also grant an action after a charge, which normally ends your turn.  The only time they can't give you an action is when you are completely unable to take actions - Stunned, Unconscious, Petrified, Removed from Play, etc.

As for the other case, if the interrupt somehow prevents your entire action from taking place, then yes, your action point is still spent - otherwise your action could not have taken place to trigger the interrupt in the first place.  However, unless the interrupt inflicted a condition to stop all additional actions (like dazed or stunned), you will have your other actions on the turn.
For example, if you did Standard, Action point , Standard (interrupted), you would still have a move and minor left, unless you were dazed, etc.

What's not entirely clear is if you first spend an action point before taking any other actions (more common at Paragon+ tiers), and the first action you take on your turn is then interrupted by an effect that dazes you, do you still get one additional action.  I would rule yes as a DM, but not certain if that's RAW.
 Ex: Action point, Standard (interrupted with Daze effect), ??? End of turn or 1 more action?

If you are dazed you lose your remaining actions. If you already spent your AP, you're screwed. Spending an AP while dazed will give you an extra action. That is actually clear by RAW.
If I spend an action point to take a standard action, but before I can launch my action another player uses an immediate interrupt to prevent the action from taking place, is my action point spent?

If I am dazed (i.e. "...can take either a standard action, a move action, or a minor action on your turn..."), can I use an action point to add another action during my turn?  

In addition to the correct answer you've already received:  Why is another player preventing you from taking actions?  PVP doesn't work, at all.  Ever.  D&D not only isn't built for it, but breaks completely when it gets close to it.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
If you are dazed you lose your remaining actions. If you already spent your AP, you're screwed. Spending an AP while dazed will give you an extra action. That is actually clear by RAW.

Didn't have my books handy so I couldn't remember the exact wording on getting dazed during your turn.

As for LoW's question, I'm assuming he meant another creature like from the DM, but you're right that PvP doesn't work, and there's no good reason an ally would prevent your action from occuring with an interrupt - unless he/she somehow prevents something that would have been worse than losing your action, like death.
Or one of those wonderful "harm an ally to get a benefit" powers (dark pact warlock specializes in those) is doing it?