Disciple of Divine Wrath (Avenger MC) and U2:Holy Blessing through Acolyte Power

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I'm playing a Ranger|Cleric and I picked up Disciple of Divine Wrath in order to use Oath of Enmity. Now it says I can use it once per encounter and that it lasts until the end of my next turn. I know CharOp says it works but, if I pick up the Avenger's U2:Holy Blessing through Acolyte Power, would I be able to re-use Oath of Enmity? If yes, would it be a new instance of it that lasts 2 rounds, or is it a continuation of the same instance?

Basically,

========
First Case
Round 1:
Minor - Oath of Enmity (lasts until end of Round 2)
Standard - Twin Strike (bloodies the enemy)

Round 2:
Standard - Twin Strike (kills the enemy)
Free - Holy Blessing (I use Oath of Enmity on a new target, and it lasts until the end of round 3)
=======

or

=======
Second Case
Round 1:
Minor - Oath of Enmity (lasts until end of Round 2)
Standard - Twin Strike (bloodies the enemy)

Round 2:
Standard - Twin Strike (kills the enemy)
Free - Holy Blessing (I use Oath of Enmity on a new target, and it lasts until the end of round 2)
=========

I need good arguments and hopefully some reference so my DM agrees to even let me use Holy Blessing in the first place.
It works as case 1.  And it works until the end of R3 assuming you don't kill the target (which, generally speaking, you should).

Your oath always lasts until the end of your next turn when you apply it.

The only argument I can even see here is that there are some that claim the 2nd OoE doesn't have any limitations at all.  I personally disagree with that, but they do have an argument to be made. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
It works as case 1.  And it works until the end of R3 assuming you don't kill the target (which, generally speaking, you should).

Your oath always lasts until the end of your next turn when you apply it.

The only argument I can even see here is that there are some that claim the 2nd OoE doesn't have any limitations at all.  I personally disagree with that, but they do have an argument to be made. 

You know the PP: Paragon of Victory?

Well, it's encounter power lets one use a cleric at-will. Because it doesn't specify that it's a cleric power that you know, some have taken it to mean that it means you could use any of the cleric at-wills in the compendium. Classic Munchkinism, since obviously you cannot use a power you do not have.

Although I want to say that specific beats general in the case of using Holy Blessing via Acolyte Power, how can I use Oath of Enmity again if the MC feat specifies I can only use it once per encouter? In essence, how can I use a power that I do not have in store? That's my DM's likely retort.

Holy Blessing fails to function. It says to use your OoE power. You do not have a use of OoE available, since you can only use it one/encounter. The only way it'd work is if it is the first use of OoE for the encounter.
Holy Blessing fails to function. It says to use your OoE power. You do not have a use of OoE available, since you can only use it one/encounter. The only way it'd work is if it is the first use of OoE for the encounter.

But then Holy Blessing should do nothing at all for this build, since the trigger needs the Char to have at least 2 OoEs/enc.

I like case 1 the most, though. ;) 
Holy Blesssing does nothing at all for this build, yep. No reason it should, really, and honestly wasting a feat to pick up a second-tier utility power when you have two pretty awesome utility lists to pick from already is a bad decision anyway, so the fact that it doesn't work isn't costing him anything.
Holy Blesssing does nothing at all for this build, yep. No reason it should, really, and honestly wasting a feat to pick up a second-tier utility power when you have two pretty awesome utility lists to pick from already is a bad decision anyway, so the fact that it doesn't work isn't costing him anything.

It's costing me some awesome nova potential. I mean a ranger that can use OoE on two enemies per encounter is insanely good obviously.

There are ways to do this that's less effective, one involves two feats: Divine Channeler and Oath of Urgency (the last one lets you regain your OoE and use it on another target immediately as a minor). The other involves Refocus Enmity utility instead of Holy Blessing. Except of course, you are down two feats in one case and it doesnt work as well since you have to use the target switching powers as minors before your OoE target dies.

Oh well. I guess Mia and Half-Elf Avengers will hold on to their ultimate crit-fishing status.

In Epic you could use Divine Mastery to make this work however, or use some other way to regain an Encounter power (Torc of Power Preservation, Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor). Also, the Mighty Enmity feat lets you OoE two targets instead of one.
Novas go off in the beginning of combat. Not round 3. Also compaining your Ranger|Cleric, who is one of the strongest strikers in the game in both DPR and nova potential, can't roll twice to guaruntee a kill on another elite on round 2 is pretty whiny, sorry, especially since crits aren't adding much damage and you're already probably hitting on a 4+ anyway.
Novas go off in the beginning of combat. Not round 3. Also compaining your Ranger|Cleric, who is one of the strongest strikers in the game in both DPR and nova potential, can't roll twice to guaruntee a kill on another elite on round 2 is pretty whiny, sorry, especially since crits aren't adding much damage and you're already probably hitting on a 4+ anyway.

Haha, you can't seriously blame me for wanting to optimize my guy, I'd expect some understanding from a CharOp regular such as yourself.
You're not optimizing him. That was my point. The opportunity cost of a feat+losing a good utility power like Invigorating Stride is not worth the benefit. You're sacrificing more than you are gaining.

The fact that it doesn't work is a net gain, because it prevented you from making a poor optimization decision. There is a reason no CharOp version of Ranger|Cleric has ever taken a power swap feat.
You're not optimizing him. That was my point. The opportunity cost of a feat+losing a good utility power like Invigorating Stride is not worth the benefit. You're sacrificing more than you are gaining.

The fact that it doesn't work is a net gain, because it prevented you from making a poor optimization decision. There is a reason no CharOp version of Ranger|Cleric has ever taken a power swap feat.

Invigorating Stride would not be useful for me. My party has decent leaders and I only end up using my already built-in Healing Word only about one third of the time. This leaves my U2 with some good but not great powers such as Stalker's Mist, Begin The Hunt and Resurgent Strength. With Holy Blessing and Resume The Hunt, I could knock the lights out of a creature with a standard and a minor, then OoE another creature and move towards it as a free action and lay on more pain with an AP and a Warlord granting me MBAs. And that's just the first turn. That's pretty sweet.

But I'll make due with one use of OoE (at least, before epic), and I don't mind the feat slot.