Possible daft question

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sorry if this is a daft question, but why can't an Avenger take Power Attack as a heroic tier feat?
My bet is you don't have the prerequisite 15 Strength.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I said possibly daft, not definitely daft! I've got the 15 str
Then you can.  Who says you can't?
The ol' DnDI character builder
I'm guessing the character builder has encountered some error that is not letting him take it. Build your character by hand to avoid these issues.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

The only valid reason why Power Strike wouldn't show up in the Character Builder is if you don't have enough Strength.  If you have enough Strength and Power Strike still doesn't show up, then it's a bug in the Builder.  It happens.  Leave a feat slot blank and write in "power strike" on your character sheet, and apply it as necessary.  Fortunately, it's a feat that doesn't enter in to any of the automatic calculations the Builder does.
On a different note:

Power Attack is generally a terrible terrible idea.  So maybe the CB is just trying to do you a favor? 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I can't reproduce that problem with either the new CB or the old CB.

If you're using the old CB, make sure you're using a clean install that hasn't been modified in any way.  If you're using the new one start with a new fresh character and a clean cache file and rebooted computer. 

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Also ensure that you choose Custom / Home Campaign.

Anything else is liable to cause problems.
Another point to consider: if you're building a character at higher levels, your final ability scores aren't the same through the life of your characterm, and you have to qualify for feats *at the level you take them* - I've often been caught out building Paragon characters who satisfy their feat conditions exactly, and therefore can't take a particular heroic feat until paragon anyway.

In short, make sure that you satisfy the prereqs at the level you take the feat.

And yeah, don't take Power Attack, even on an Avenger.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Sign In to post comments