Gatecrash draft 4!

569 posts / 0 new
Last post
That looks like an excellent Orzhov pack. I would be inclined to take the Eviction here.
Merciless.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

No Orzhov playable is likely to return to us, but that's no reason not to take the Eviction.
I would like to make an argument for the Wight here.   Orhov is popular and this pack is going to encourage others to move in to it.   Wight is more flexible.

But maybe I am just have the Dimirrage.   Also, I am a n00b.
rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
If I was going to take something non-Orzhov with the idea that others will fight over it, I would take Drakewing Krasis over the Wight.  Leaving Wight in the pack will make even more people fight over black, and Krasis is the only Simic card here (besides the gate).

That said, Eviction is powerful and splashable enough to be the pick here.
Slow play into Eviction and wrap the game up. Great card, very easy to hold out for the 6 mana you need to 2/3/4 for 1 as Orzhov. Also makes for a great top deck when you are behind. 

It's also worth splashing for if we end up in Dimir. 
I think we have to take the Eviction here.  Whether we end up in Orzhov, Dimir splashing white or 5 colour control will obviously need to be determined but it is clearly the strongest card in the pack
Merciless, no doubt.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Wrath
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Wrath

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

The sweeper.
Eviction seems obvious. I really want the Krasis, but I can't justify it here. We should remain open in the next couple of picks though.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Eviction by a pretty wide margin.

Be careful about slow playing into you sixth mana, if can come back to bite you in the you know what.

I think one in color card may wheel here.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
I would probably push a signal here and take Executioner's Swing. Strong removal. Not necessarily in Orzhov yet, but probably in Orzhov.

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

That makes sense I think. Although in a real draft I would be inclined to take the Foundry for value. I've also have surprisingly good luck with Boros Charms.
I don't like cards like Swing, but lacking any bombs here, it's still rather strong removal and also matches the colors of our first pick. Let's see how this progresses.
This is a pretty bad pack for us. Foundry and the Charm are enough to push people in our left into Boros, which means our white picks pack 2 will be slimmer.

Still, I think the pick here is Executioner's Swing, on the hopes some of the blue wheels and we can splash Dimir.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Ill take charm here, good for a splash or leaves us open to move into boros.
I would take the Charm. We passed a lot of good orzhov cards from the first pack, I don't think we will get much in pack 2 in black or white. The charm is the best Boros card we have seen and I would never be pushed into colors based of a land, so we might get solid red cards in pack 2.
swing is pretty weak. I'd take the boros charm here. Pretty bad pack overall(excluding the giant pile of $$ we are passing).
I would take Swing here.  No reason to stray from Orzhov at the moment.
Executioner's swing, and stop worrying about what you're passing, it's not the strongest strategy in deciding what to pick. I won't say it's never relevant, but it should be way less important than what is being talked about here.
In these community drafts, I feel it's way more useful to do what we'd do in real life.  Otherwise what we learn from them is not going to translate to FNM drafts, and so on.

Very few people are going to pass Sacred Foundry.

I'm not either.  That's my pick (even though, I know it won't win because people don't treat these things the same way).
Ill take charm here, good for a splash or leaves us open to move into boros.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Charm is the strongest pick here. Though I agree with others in saying if this was a real draft, I'd snag the Sacred Foundry for easy money/trade fodder.
I would totally pick the foundary, but it also wouldn't get to me, so: Charm
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Boros Charm, by the way taking the executioner's swing here is a pretty basic mistake I hope we can learn from. It's not a top tier removal in this set (but is worth running).

Boros Charm on the other hand is an amazing card, splashable and worth taking out of this pool to save our white picks in pack two.

Let's not just chase the colors of our first pick in every draft. We can easily splash Eviction if need be, or Charm.

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Please substantiate why executioners swing is a mistake.

Also, please award Boros charm a 0-5 rating... Using grevens scale for reference. It would help explain why a non-bomb combat trick like teleportal is being taken over a strong removal spell.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Boros Charm, by the way taking the executioner's swing here is a pretty basic mistake I hope we can learn from. It's not a top tier removal in this set (but is worth running).

Boros Charm on the other hand is an amazing card, splashable and worth taking out of this pool to save our white picks in pack two.

Let's not just chase the colors of our first pick in every draft. We can easily splash Eviction if need be, or Charm.

It's not Top Tier, not sure who thinks that, but it is a key card in a good Orzhov deck, if that's where we end up.
Please substantiate why executioners swing is a mistake. Also, please award Boros charm a 0-5 rating... Using grevens scale for reference. It would help explain why a non-bomb combat trick like teleportal is being taken over a strong removal spell.

Rating Thread.
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
I think boros charm is great, but I'd rather be in orzhov vs boros, and I'm happy to have the executioner in orzhov, and really as many cheap removal spells as I can get with a few extorters. To that end, I see the two picks as fairly equivocal, and we already have merciless eviction, which I wouldn't be excited to splash in the sort of boros deck I prefer to play, so voilà I choose executioner swing. If I see truefire paladin, sunhome guildmage, or other premier boros 2 drop in next pack with no extorters, then I'll be sad but you never know what will be in the next pack.
Swing.

Charm is a stronger card, but I'd rather not plan to splash 2 picks into the draft. Removal is removal, and is currently on color.

While I wouldn't hate being Orzhov with a red splash, I don't think we want to be in Boros with eviction as a splash... 
I wish I could sit next to Niche when I draft! Talk about a friendly passer. Nutts to pass such a strong card on pick 2 of pack one. Don't wed yourselves to your first card.
Not sure what niche said as he's blocked, but it doesn't appear to be very popular, at least from the reaction I'm reading from the peanut gallery.

Not sure why people take much worse cards in Pack 1 Pick 2.

Boros Charm shares a color (the best color in Gatecrash) with our first pick.

We don't know what's coming in the nest few picks. Powerful drafters take the best cards for the first few picks so that they have a chance to make a strong deck, chasing the rare, is a well known way to have a weak deck.

We are here to help people who aren't sure about draft and try to show what good draft analysis looks like. Niche was blocked as his card evaluations are either way off or purposefully derailing.

To clarify-Executioner's Swing is a fine card. Not one of the better removal spells, and sometimes it screws you over (happened to me at GP Yokohama) waiting for damage to be dealt to use this sometimes loses you the game (not often, but it's happened to all of us with this and/or Avenging Arrow).

Boros Charm is a truly amazing card to have. Instant speed, 2 CMC, 3 highly useful modes.

4 burn to the face for the win (reach), double strike (combat trick, reach), team indestructibility (vastly changing the board state in your favor, negating removal, etc).

Passing it here, means we are forcing Orzhov after one (highly splashable card), we might go Orzhov (with Charm splash!) or Boros, or something else entirely.

The point is to take the best card and not resign ourselves to the mercy of the herd.
I don't think Boros charm gets the nod here, it's surprisingly mediocre in draft, especially in Orzhov. I'm going to go with the Swing since there's no way I'm convincing people to pick up the best card in the pack, Shambleshark.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I don't think Boros charm gets the nod here, it's surprisingly mediocre in draft, especially in Orzhov. I'm going to go with the Swing since there's no way I'm convincing people to pick up the best card in the pack, Shambleshark.

How is Boros Charm mediocre in draft?

All three abilities are commonly useful and quite good.

How is Boros Charm mediocre in draft?

All three abilities are commonly useful and quite good.

The Boros decks want a lot of creatures; it is easy to pick up the few tricks that you need, and while Aerial Maneuver might not be quite as good as the Charm, I'd much rather give up a little trick quality than creature quality. The charm is good, sure, but if my opponent leaves up , it's Martial Glory which unnerves me the most. Most of the games I play with/against Boros don't play out in a way which makes the Charm a complete blow-out. It is obviously useful, but I'd pick any good two-drop creature or a quality 3-drop creature over it in almost all circumstances (in Boros, obviously).
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. As I noticed you gave the bizarre rating of 2.5 for this Charm.

Comparing it to Aerial Manuever doesn't even make sense.

Same converted mana cost and does a whole lot more.

It seems to perform great in Boros and is highly splashable.

This card is at the moment my most splashed card in Gatecrash and I really am happy to see it come my way.