Sorcerer, wizard, and warlock. In pictures.

Figured i'd start a new picture thread.

But besides wizard (beard), and sorcerer (scantily clad), and warlock (pentagram) what visual differences are there between these 3 classes?

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

They can all wear pointy hats.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I generally see those three as arcane equivelents to the fighter(wizard), barbarian or ranger(sorcerer) and rogue(warlock).

So, other than general atmosphere, and the fact that I don't see sorcerers with tomes, not much.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
This is a wizard

This is is a socerer

She only use a limited number of powers.

And this is a warlock. I think John Costantine is closer to archetype of D&D warlock because his best weapon is his astuteness. 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Nice pics Carlos. I'd play Dr. Strange every time
My two copper.

Hes actually a mix class ofcourse... uses all three identified energy sorces of his universe

Personal/Mystical power... close to psionic but is also personal transcendance in a general sense everyone has it whether you can accomplish much or not.

Environmental (those who use only this get called Druids)... but the can manipulate it in to many forms. This is also the magic of manipulating the energy flowing through ley lines.

Transdimensional. (extra dimension empowerment often tied to explicit and implicit agreements) .... Some of these hide there impact and gaine symbiotic strength - including cult/pseudo religous empowerment

He seems to under estimate the impact of the personal element
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Wizardry
Psychic: mental (telepathy, enchantment, charm, fear, hallucenatory phantasm, blindspot, inspirational healing, telekinesis, flight, force, outofbody, clairvoyance, prescience, luck, fate) (negative: insanity, oblivion, amnesia)
Lifeforce: mental-physical (shapeshift, lifeform, heal, summon avatar, ghostly quasi-real illusion, teleportation) (negative: death, undeath, necromancy)
Elemental: physical (earth, fire, water, air, electro-magnetic ether) (negative: annihilation, disintegration, corrosion)

Elemental Wizard

Elemental Wizard

Psychic Wizard

Elemental Wizard

Psychic Wizard

Psychic Wizard

Elemental Wizard

Elemental Wizard

Elemental Wizard

Lifeforce Wizard

Over Storm!? Uh, I don't know if you noticed this, but Storm is STORM. You can't ignore Storm. Storm is a Goddess and she will wreck you.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

Over Storm!? Uh, I don't know if you noticed this, but Storm is STORM. You can't ignore Storm. Storm is a Goddess and she will wreck you.

Storm as Elemental Wizard

(Air, Water, Ether: primarily Air, secondarily Water as cloud and percipitation, and tertiarily electro-magnetic Ether as lightning)

I do like Constantine as the Warlock.

He's an excellent example.

Though I do have to agree with the criticism of Dr Strange... he's a Wizard/Druid/Warlock uber-gish.  One of those characters that's just too broken-powerful to ever work well with others.

IE. a bad example of a PC.        
For me the jedi knights are closer to psionic power. I thought a name for a D&D version: cofrater (=member of a sacred brotherhood).

* Sometime I had thought about a D&D schism, metal vs crystal... the metal faction would affirm metal and stone are different elements. 

* How do I imagine the next elementalist? Using the same game mechanic of shadowcaster from "Tome of Magic". The shadow would be other element. 

---

La Celestina, one the works of the Spanish literature. The picture is a theatre actress playing the character. 

Prospero, the main character of Shakespeare´s "The Tempest". (In this movie the character is a woman, player by Helen Mirrer).

The Halliwelli sisters (Charmed).

We don´t need mention Melin, Gandalf, Willow (George Lucas´film and Buffy´s sidesick) nor Harry Potter.

---

I imagine the wu jen like a arcane almost-shaman, like the miko and exorcist-demon hunter from otaku fiction. The next wu jen could be allowed to get some divine and primal spells, and some psionic power. But some taboos... could be broken by enemy´s cheats. 

Miroku and Sango (she is a taiyija, a monster slayer) from Inuyasha anime.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Figured i'd start a new picture thread.

But besides wizard (beard), and sorcerer (scantily clad), and warlock (pentagram) what visual differences are there between these 3 classes?

Wizard:

Warlock:

Sorcerer:

Explanation:
The wizard, as has often been noted, is basically a nerd. He's a guy who spends all his time studying weird books, and as a result gains a (quasi-scientific) understanding of the universe that allows him to perform amazing feats.

The 5e warlock is just as smart as the wizard, but while the wizard is the kid who aces every test by studying all the time, the warlock is the kid who hacks into the school database to change his grade (and send inappropriate emails from the principle's account). He can access all sorts of powerful and dangerous information, but he does so in illegitimate and typically illegal ways.

The sorcerer, meanwhile, is the kid who's captain of the football team, lead in the school play, and makes high honor roll every quarter without ever seeming to break a sweat - and yet everybody seems to like him, because he's such a charismatic guy. He may never have the depth of understanding that a wizard has, or the dark secrets that empower the warlock, but he makes do with raw talent and grace.

To put it another way: the wizard is the guy who knows how to build an atom bomb from spare parts. The warlock is the guy who can hack NORAD and steal the president's ICBM launch codes. And the sorcerer is the guy who can get elected president and have the launch codes handed to him.
For me the jedi knights are closer to psionic power.

psychic wizardry = psionic power

Jedi = psychic gish (especially telekinesis, also prescience and clairvoyance)

Bard = psychic [Wizard/Rogue] gish (especially telepathy as enchantment, charm, also prescience as bardic lore, inspirational healing or morale as a psychic effect, possibly telekinesis as a sonic force effect)

Cleric = lifeforce gish (especially heal, possibly summon avatar, teleport, planeshift)

Berserker = lifeforce gish (especially shapeshift, summon/project avatar)

Illusionist = lifeforce wizard (especially ghostly quasi-real illusion, relates with shamanic vision quests)

Sorcerer (sorcery, engages spirits, especially fiends, especially negative elemental demons and negative lifeforce ghosts)
The wizard get power by means of study and investigation.
The socerer is the innated talent improved by means of practice.
The warlock get power by means astuteness and trading magic favours.

A wizards is like a engineer.
A socerer is like a superstar artist or elite sportman
The warlock is like a executive or a dealer.

I imagine the warlock(/witch) game mechanic like a mixture of runepriest and artificier. The warlock can´t prepare spell like wizard, not exactly. He can use at-will power, and create only-use magic item, the fetiches. When the warlock choose spend a spell slot he must use the right fetiche, for example if he want a spell about fire but the fetiches are stones with runes about cold, shadow, poison, and metal he can´t use spell with key fire. He must wait until the next time to create a fetiche with the key fire.

---

Brago and Sherry Bellmont, from manga/anime Zatch Bell!!

The wizard get power by means of study and investigation. The socerer is the innated talent improved by means of practice.

The Wizard is already a spontaneous spellcaster.

It is possible to build a playtest Wizard who only casts favorite spells and who never consults a spellbook. This is why Storm can easily be a playtest Wizard.

The 3e Sorcerer is a Wizard that uses a different spellcasting system, spontaneous. Also the 3e Psion is essentially a Wizard that uses a different spellcasting system, mana points.

Because the 5e Wizard is already a spontaneous spellcaster, the 5e Sorcerer must be completely different from a spontaneous spellcaster.
I called the Bard a psychic gish. But rather than a Psychic Wizard/Fighter hybrid, the Bard might be moreso a Psychic Wizard/Rogue hybrid. The “inspirational healing”, or invigoration, is a psychic effect.
Lifeforce Wizard (shapeshift)

Lifeforce Wizard (necromancy - negative lifeforce)
Psychic Wizard (prescience as luck, probability, and fate, also telekinesis as force wand beam and telekinetic broom flight)

Sorcerer (spirits, devils - negative psychic)

Sorcerer (spirits, undeads - negative lifeforce)

Sorcerer (spirits, demons - negative elemental)

Elric of Melnibone - Sorcerer (evil spirits, mainly destructive nature spirits - negative lifeforce)

warlock made a pact with the dark side and carries phisical signs of his pact.

The 3e Sorcerer is a Wizard that uses a different spellcasting system, spontaneous. Also the 3e Psion is essentially a Wizard that uses a different spellcasting system, mana points.

Because the 5e Wizard is already a spontaneous spellcaster, the 5e Sorcerer must be completely different from a spontaneous spellcaster.

So, like... the 4e sorcerer?

You're using the 3e version as a frame of reference, but the 4e version was pretty distinct from a wizard.  Or look to the PF bloodlines, they have some good ideas going on.

"I want 'punch magic in the face' to be a maneuver." -- wrecan

The pshychic powers are psionic, nor arcane. Arcane magic and psionic are so different like gasoil and electric battery. 

I don´t know the cosmology of marvel and DC comics.

Witches (Marvel Comics, Satana Hellstorm, Topaz and Jennifer Kale).

Mico Minoru (Sister Grimm)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Marvel_Comics_witches

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:DC_Comics_witches

Jinx (DC)

Nyx (Spawn universe).

Bayonetta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fictional_witches

Warlock, from 1989 movie, this picture is the no-wizard warlock from Avenger Cartoon (its look is cooler).

Main characters from PSPVita gothic-splaterpunk videogame "Soul Sacrifice".

Deimos, the ultimate Warlock in my opinion. (The Warlord, Mike Grell)

Likewise, Jennifer Morgan (sorceress)...

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

Naruto 570 - Kuramas Arrival by ~NarutoPants on deviantART

Warlock, of the unwilling variety he uses a demon who was sealed within him without his consent but obtains true power only when the demon starts to favour him.

Sasuke by ~karka92 on deviantART

Sorcerer, has power due to his lineage, in fact his family was killed for it, but it can only be awakened by pushing himself into combat and surviving.

Scroll - Sakura by ~Vegigi on deviantART

Wizard, can learn anything if that anything can be formulated in a book.

Honestly Sakura shows how screwed wizards are where you can't buy any scroll and researching a spell is done realistically, all the cool powers are cut off to her and Naruto and Sasuke are just allowed to god mode, if Sakura had a player I would feel sorry for her she's screwed both ways either she gets her scrolls and breaks the game for everybody else or she doesn't get the scrolls and she doesn't have any fun at all.
Characters from "Naruto" anime are (ki-user) ninjas (+wu jen or psionic). They aren´t wizards or warlocks.

Kulan Gath, Conan´s enemy. Most of enemies of Conan are more "clerics" that true warlocks.

Characters from "Naruto" anime are (ki-user) ninjas (+wu jen or psionic). They aren´t wizards or warlocks.

Kulan Gath, Conan´s enemy. Most of enemies of Conan are more "clerics" that true warlocks.

Id say that while your right about them not being wizards or warlocks they are still well defined in a way for showing the concept.
Wizard
Warlock
Sorcerer

in before THE Lock
Wizard
Warlock
Sorcerer

is this one of those "spot the missing thing" pictures? if so, i think the missing thing is a sense of fun.

Id say that while your right about them not being wizards or warlocks they are still well defined in a way for showing the concept.

Technically since one mans witch is his enemies sainted holy worker ... they are all one thing and D&Ds distinction is artificial.

That said the distinction allows an us vs them where science = arcane and faith = divine.

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Morrigan (Dragon Age).

Elemental Wizard

Mishra was an Artificer.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Elemental Wizard

Mishra was an Artificer.

A player might build a Wizard of Elemental magic to function like a 4e Artificer.

The 4e Artificer is a full spellcaster as the Wizard is. The Artificer can be gishy, but doesnt need to be. Likewise, a healer doesnt need to be gishy. The “white wizard” can be a healer in robes. Even so, a Wizard can have high Constitution, being tough and brutish. It appears any 5e character, including a Wizard, might be able to choose the option to be a healer. Moreover, for flavor, the Elemental Wizard could have spells that resemble “bionic” or “cybernetic” healing, transmuting injuries into elemental substances, along the lines of Stone Skin, Iron Body, even Gaseous Form, or so on. Alternatively, it is fine to build a Wizard who masters both Elemental magic and Lifeforce magic.

In any case, the picture of Mishra shows a mage in the process of conjuring what seems to be elements, such as earth and possibly ether. This is how I envision an Elemental Wizard.
The pshychic powers are psionic, nor arcane. Arcane magic and psionic are so different like gasoil and electric battery.

A “psionic Psion” seems to be the same thing as an “arcane” “psychic” Wizard.

Even now, the Wizard is a spontaneous spellcaster who can cast favorite spells, innately. Moreover, the Wizard can, innately, perform telepathy, enchantment, charm, fear, hallucenatory phantasm, telekinesis, force effects, outofbody, clairvoyance, divination, prescience, and so on. Any psychic effect.

(Even a mana point system will be available to allow the Wizard to model a 3e psionic point system.)

I honestly dont understand how someone can say a 5e Wizard is “so different” from a psionic Psion. There is no difference. They seem identical.

The optimal solution for D&D 5e to make sense of the D&D tradition seems two-fold:

• On the one hand, the 5e Wizard and the arcane power source can inherit the entirety of the D&D psionic tradition.

• On the other hand, the 5e Wizard can split up into different kinds of Wizards: Psionic, Primal, and Elemental. Alternatively, the names for these three can be “Psychic”, “Lifeforce”, and “Elemental”.

These three groups refer to certain 4e power sources, and seem to work especially well to organize spells into flavorful clusters, each with abundant and diverse options. The term “Psionic” seems too modern, and I prefer to call this tradition “Psychic”, because most people know what this name means, and its flavor is more appropriate for medievalesque adventure settings. (It is ok for certain campaign settings to rename “psychic spells” as “psionic powers”.) Additionally, I prefer the term “Lifeforce” for “Primal” because it has clearer meaning, obviously includes magic like Healing and Wildshape, but is somewhat neutral applying to any tradition from shamanic animism to mystic monotheistic, even to darkside necromancy. I actually like the term Elemental because many people are familiar with the reallife elemental tradition, and it is especially appropriate to medievalesque settings. Anyway these three “sources” of magic are awesome.

I want to see a universal spell list that clearly tags each spell with one of these three sources: Psychic, Lifeforce, and Elemental. Any class that uses spells will refer to this spell list.

I want to see different kinds of Wizards. These can even be separate classes - Psychic, Lifeforce, and Elemental - except they need to work well together when multiclassing within the Wizard “metaclass”. This split into separate classes works well when multiclassing with non-Wizard classes. For example, a Psychic Wizard and Fighter work well as a Jedi-esque Psychic Warrior gish. A Lifeforce Wizard and a Barbarian work well as a shapeshifting Berserkr.

I would be ok if Psychic spellcasting generally uses Charisma as the key ability, Lifeforce uses Wisdom, and Elemental uses Intelligence. Then the Wizard can cope with the same dependence on multiple abilities, like the Fighter does who requires Strength, Constitution, and Dexterity, plus Wisdom. While the MAD-ness is a bit painful, it encourages players to build very different kinds of Wizards with very different flavors.

So, like... the 4e sorcerer?

You're using the 3e version as a frame of reference, but the 4e version was pretty distinct from a wizard.  Or look to the PF bloodlines, they have some good ideas going on.

The Wizard can do everything a 4e Sorcerer can. Cast Fireball, and so on. The 4e Sorcerer is “unique” essentially by being a gish. The Cha-Strength combo makes a Sorcrerer effective at magical melee combat, like the Dragon Sorcerer. The Cha-Dexterity combo makes a Sorcerer effective at magical distant combat, like the Storm Sorcerer. But when I think of the many “sorcerers” in reallife traditions, almost none of them are gishes.

What makes “sorcery” distinctive is its control of spirits, especially evil ones, to perform supernatural effects. Typically, the Sorcerer controls spirits by bribing or enslaving them. As such, the Sorcerer can work well as a class that has one or more “pets”. These pets are spirits who perform magical effects pertaining to whatever they personify. But also they can manifest as ghosts do to perform effects by pushing, carrying, and manipulating objects. Sorcery is especially black magic, causing destruction, insanity, and death, to harm enemies. Curses. That said, while the spirits are typically evil, the Sorcerer isnt necessarily evil. There are reallife traditions about good Sorcerers, such as a legend about a holy person who bound demons to make them help build a holy sanctuary.

The relationship between a Druid and a pet-using Shaman, resembles the relationship between a Warlock and a pet-using Sorcerer.

Meanwhile, the innately magical spellcaster who wields spells spontaneously, is the 5e Wizard.
Psionic is a thing and different other one is the enchament magic with mindaffecting effects. Charles Xavier, Jean Grey or Emma Frost aren´t wizards, are psionic telepats.

Maybe the enchament specialist wizard could get a free feat: wild talent for telepatic mindaffecting powers.

Spells and psionic are as different as a gasoil motor and a electric generator. Psionic only need concentration, nor verbal, somatic nor material components, like spell-like abilities.

Sorcerer is spontaneous magic, but D&D wizard has got a different style, it is the example, paradigma of vacian magic. Maybe wizard can use spontaneous magic only for some at-will spells, a  little number, but sorcerer´s spells are always spontaenous. 

The lifeforce is the necromancy school, or maybe incarnum/thoon/ki or positive energy used by divine spellcasters.

There isn´t a module about maná points yet. We can´t know, we can´t be sure there will be a psion class in the first core book, maybe only psionic powers and some psionic feats.

" What makes “sorcery” distinctive is its control of spirits"

Maybe the sorcery from real world esoterism, summoning and controling spirits is closer to D&D shaman or D&D warlock/witch (by means of pact magic with vestiges/patrons).

* All my D&D books are third edition, but some sourcebooks from second one.

The lifeforce is the necromancy school, or maybe incarnum/thoon/ki or positive energy used by divine spellcasters.

Yeah. All of the above.

The magic of the Lifeforce includes divine positive energy healing, necromancy, ki (Chinese chi, Hebrew nefesh, etcetera). And it especially includes primal, the shamanic themes of wild life and nature spirits.

The Wizard can do everything a 4e Sorcerer can. Cast Fireball, and so on. The 4e Sorcerer is “unique” essentially by being a gish. The Cha-Strength combo makes a Sorcrerer effective at magical melee combat, like the Dragon Sorcerer. The Cha-Dexterity combo makes a Sorcerer effective at magical distant combat, like the Storm Sorcerer. But when I think of the many “sorcerers” in reallife traditions, almost none of them are gishes.

Well in genre Swords and Sorcery I think you will find a few though ... Elric is a case in point and yes he is a summoner. But the point of being a summoner spirit/daemon controller even down to the nature of his favorite blade you need something immediate and spirits take a bit of time.   Then again how gish is your gish - Harry Potter and Gandalf both have been seen to sport swords about. ( You could build Elric as a fighter with weapon and ritualist feat or in more direct fashions using Warlock/Paladin Hybrid - yes it works that Champion of Chaos/Law and finally Balance)

By the way, there seems to be a consensus about the Warlock class.

D&D 4e gets it right when it portrays the Warlock as both “witchy” and “diabolical”. Moreover, the themes of darkside pacts work well. Even the different flavors of pacts seem mythologically accurate.

The Infernal Pacts with devils and the Fey Pacts with the faerie cohere with the historical witch trials in Scotland and England. In these trial documents, some warlocks describe a shaman-like visionary trance involving a sexual encounter with the queen of faerie, a morally ambivalent figure of fear and fascination. After this union, the warlock emerges with magical powers. Trying to make sense of this indigenous tradition, Imperial Christianity tries to explain it within its own cosmological worldview. The medieval Church explains this queen is really the devil taking on a feminine guise, thus blends the indigenous traditions with the devilish versions of Christian sacremental rituals. Still, some documents have the warlock deny the queen of faerie is the devil, and the reader can see the difference between the indigenous and imperial worldviews. Of course, other warlocks openly worship the devil, and explain their own magic as satanic power. Unfortunately, the origin of the term “warlock” remains unknown. It means “oath liar”, but it is unclear in what sense these warlocks are swearing a false oath, and why it seems only males are able to swear this kind of oath. Still, the term warlock specifically refers to a diabolical kind of witch, even when the documents seem to confuse the different kinds of witches. Interestingly, the warlocks generally have an encounter that unlocks their magical power, but their power is personal, and they dont necessarily depend on the activities of the fae or diabolical spirits after that. Note, stories about these British faerie are capable of both good compassion and evil cruelty, moreso ambivalent nature spirits.

Remarkably, the 4e Warlock resonates the reallife tradtions. The pacts seem appropriate too: diabolic Infernal also darkside Fey. Also the necromantic Vestigial pact resonates with warlock traditions. The Lovecraftian horror themes of the Star pact depend more on the adventure setting, but seem appropriate enough for the Warlock class.

The Warlock class is too creepy for my tastes, but many players seem to have fun with it. I can appreciate how the D&D tradition in this case seems to get it right.
The magic to heal by means of positive energy is a (almost exclusive) power "confiscated" by deities. Wizards aren´t allowed to use it. (And bards... but they aren´t lawful...). A wizard could try be like a arcane version of McGiver to create medicines, disinfectant products, artificial blood plasm and bandage, but not healing by means of positive energy directly. The closest one only could be summoing a creature with vivacious template (Planar handbook, 3.5 ed). (Or a exclusive theme, the sawbones or galen).

Without divine magic, only lifeforce can be stolen to heal.

It isn´t a inexhaustible source. Game designers wish only a little number of classes can use healer powers. They could have created a psionic psychometabolism power: hemokinesis to heal, but they didn´t want . 

The wizards aren´t jedi knights who use midi-chlorians. Wizards need material, somatic and verbal components almost always. 

That lifeforce had got a previous name in D&D, the incarnum...(and maybe Thoon). 

Your idea of lifeforce is different to the previous cosmology of D&D universe. 

Well in genre Swords and Sorcery I think you will find a few though ... Elric is a case in point and yes he is a summoner. But the point of being a summoner spirit/daemon controller even down to the nature of his favorite blade you need something immediate and spirits take a bit of time.

Yeah, the Sorcerer is a darkside kind of summoner.

Some examples of sorcery require “preparation”, a ceremonial ritual to summon a specific evil spirit, which takes time. However, other examples of sorcery can allow “immediate” magic effects. Once the Sorcerer establishes a bond with certain spirit (usually bribing or enslaving it), the spirit follows the Sorcerer around. Hence a “pet”, sotospeak. Thus whatever aspect the spirit personifies is available for the Sorcerers use at any time. For example, some demons personify fear, others epileptic seizures, or so on. The Sorcerer can employ such a spirit at will, equivalent to a favorite spell, albeit the spirit is the one who is actually manifesting it.

Here too Elric is a good example of a Sorcerer. He summons different evil spirits at different times, using different ceremonies. However, his sword is also an evil spirit, except Elric has a bond with this spirit, making the sword a kind of pet that follows Elric around, sotospeak. As such, the sword is an evil spirit that grants Elric vampiric powers atwill.

Actually the sword of Elric is a kind of familiar. Likewise, the D&D tradition of having a devilish Imp or a demonic Quasit, as a familiar spirit, is an aspect of sorcery.

As the Sorcerer advances in levels, the class can bond with more spirits or make current bonded spirits more compliant to manifest different kinds of effects and more potent effects. 

Then again how gish is your gish - Harry Potter and Gandalf both have been seen to sport swords about. ( You could build Elric as a fighter with weapon and ritualist feat or in more direct fashions using Warlock/Paladin Hybrid - yes it works that Champion of Chaos/Law and finally Balance)

Yeah, there are different kinds of gishes. Properly, a gish is a Wizard-Fighter multiclass. However, as this important combination has never worked well in the D&D tradition, the tradition keeps on supplying many equivalents to choose from.

Essentially, the gish is a mundane warrior who masters melee weapons, but who also uses magic. The Cleric is a good example of this, also the Jedi.

However, an other kind of melee combatant is strictly magical, where even a sword is wielded by means of magic. The Swordmage who uses Intelligence to magically wield a sword is a good example of this. In the movie, Push, the characters who can deliver a telekinetic punch with force impact are a clear example of a magical combatant. One character seems physically weak, but his hand-to-hand combat is psychic-ly crushing.

Elric too is more like a magical combatant. He himself is far below average physically, because of his albinoism. Very poor Strength and Constitution. Nevertheless, his sorcery allows him to bond with a demon that imbues Elric with superhuman Strength and Constitution, vampirically, as part of an atwill spell.      

The Paladin class can go either way. Some builds are almost entirely mundane relying on Strength, and some builds are almost entirely magical relying on Charisma.

Gandalf is a pure D&D Paladin, of the Charisma variety.
Your idea of lifeforce is different to the previous cosmology of D&D universe.

The sense of Lifeforce that I refer to, corresponds to the D&D 4e Primal power source and the fact the Druid can heal magically without any deities.

(Also, there are no deities in many adventure settings. Even the Cleric class doesnt need to rely on a deity.)

Remember, the “arcane” Bard can wield healing magic too. Traditionallly, arcane magic includes the entirety of Lifeforce spells.

Thus a Lifeforce Wizard can heal as well as a Cleric, if that is one of the options the player wants to choose for the Wizard build.