1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1x Elspeth Tirel
2x Garruk Wildspeaker

Creature (8)

4x Avacyn's Pilgrim
4x Birds of Paradise

Instant (3)

3x [c]Midnight Haunting

I wanted to build something for a casual game but still have the same amount of power that my affinity and MBC have.

I still feel that it is much much weaker than my affinity as I have literally no removal of any kind; so I need to work out what I want to do there.

I think I want to remove overrun for some Swords to Plowshares , the swords stay with as much mana dorks as I have casting and equip soon happens.

If I get one in my opening hand with some ramp land and some tokens I will ride that and save my other token makers till whatever happens.

I have other cards like 3 increasing devotion , a couple other creature token makers but I would rather not use them as I hate pairs of a creature.

I thought about adding black as I have some GB isd lands but I don't want to screw up my mana base anymore than it is and black has nothing for me.

I miss the old days.
I agree with the taking out the Overrun for removal, Garruk Wildspeaker should be enough in that area. Swords to Plowshares works good Selesnya Charm can work for the larget creatures that you may face. Adding more black gives access to other things like Go for the Throat/Ultimate Price/Abrupt Decay/Putrefy/Doom Blade.

Personally I would probably replace the Avacyn's Pilgrim or Birds of Paradise with Mayor of Avabruck and depending on what you decide to do with your mana base swap Lingering Souls for the 3xIncreasing Devotion/1xMidnight Haunting or 3xIncreasing Devotion for 3xMidnight Haunting. You are using tokens to do most things so I would go up to 4xIntangible Virtue instead of Honor of the Pure. If you have a sideboard I would put in something like Sundering Growth to help against Illness in the Ranks/Curse of Death's Hold or swap out the last couple of Honor of the Pure for it.

I hope this helps GL!
The best G/W token Gen is Midnight Guard+Presence of Gond, it will also be a Win condition for you. I don't like taking out the overruns, but if you use the combo 100 tokens more than make up for it. With the combo you really don't need the Equipment either, unless you really just like them. Also since every creature you have is a 1/1 other than the birds, Sigil Captains might be better than the Virtues/honors. mayor may(depending on the situation) be better than the birds, but I think Champion of Lambholt is better than the mayor.
spectral procession is a lil pricy but among the best token spells.

Elspeth kinght errant is a bad fit.

You dont really need ramp here with so many low cost card, maybe keep 2-4 birds for speed and manafix

the swords dont really fit strategy - still powerful but i think your deck would be better simply as tokens+mass boost

also use some more green manafix to provide the balck mana abundant growth great option
spectral procession is a lil pricy but among the best token spells.

Elspeth kinght errant is a bad fit.

You dont really need ramp here with so many low cost card, maybe keep 2-4 birds for speed and manafix

the swords dont really fit strategy - still powerful but i think your deck would be better simply as tokens+mass boost

also use some more green manafix to provide the balck mana abundant growth great option

You tell me to drop the ramp but then tell me to use ramp.

Abundant growth does not get a bonus from township. 

The equipment are handy more than you know, if I get it online t3-4 all it takes is 4-5 hits and they are milled out, or if there holding cards there dead. I really just need removal and I still think overrun should go.

The HotP vs IV dont matter pump is pump eather way and thats all I have and no one I know has them.

Sigil Captain I love but I dont knowif it works with all the enchant pumps I have.
and no infinite tokens, that sounds boring to me cause I could just run that and a ass ton of draw.

Mayor of Avabruck I do have 4 of I could make use of him but if he flips when I dont want him to I am boned so i am still unsure of him at this point. 

Elspeth 2.0 is bad, unless all my stuff is indestructible already, which has happened and that was a long game, I won but by the skin of my teeth. 

I dont see the swords often as I don't have draw, most games its tokens and pump. I would love some spectral procession.
I miss the old days.
You think you could fit in some nomads' assembly? Scatter the seeds is something worth looking into, same goes for hour of reckoning and martial coup. Nullmage shepherd or aura shards can help deal with artifacts/enchantments. Glare of subdual can tap stuff, but isn't quite the removal you need. I wouldn't worry about pump as much as being able to generate more tokens. You have a lot of 1-shot token producers, but no way to consistently poop out tokens. You could use something along the lines of mobilization and things like mirari's wake or caged sun to churn out tons of dudes. If you can be the first person to bounce back from a damnation, then the better off you'll be.

Just some thoughts.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
there's a huge difference between having several cards providing extra mana to allow you to cast high cost cards fast and then having a few such cards to allow you to cast low-mid cost cards faster. abundant growth isnt ramp but cheap manafix - i dont understand the thing about bonus from gavony - you mean because its not a land? no....but it's a cantrip - it replaces itself in your han so you dont need it to be.

all it takes is 4-5 hits+ that's super slow....especially when compared to casting 3-6 tokens and then making them 3 times bigger. Also swords give opponent worthy targets for spot removal whereas one of the strengths of token is that thoise are usually pretty useless. Swords are still powerful providing protection and damage etc- but they dont benefit or synergize with your spells and most of the time  you'd benefit more from token//buff card.

but yes removing 3-4 overruns shouldserve you well espcially if you can replace with swords to plowshares.
Pog and guard with parallel lives and cathar's crusade let them come in droves and buff themselves.
I personally love Mayor of Avabruck, it puts the pressure on an opponent to decide each turn what to do and if he does flip you might lose his bonus for a couple of turns but you gain tokens that he boosts. So for 2 mana he either boosts all your humans or flips, becomes a 3/3 that gives 2/2 wolf tokens that he boosts to up to 3/3 also thats just great value. Pair him in a deck with Avacyn's Pilgrim and it increases his value also making him a decent attacker/blocker and mana fixer. If someone removes Mayor of Avabruck thats one less card you need to worry about later on and quite often you have already had some benefit from him being on the board. I would try playtesting with him and see how you like it!
I thought about adding black as I have some GB isd lands but I don't want to screw up my mana base anymore than it is and black has nothing for me.

:B: gets you Sorin, Lord Of Innistrad, allows you to FlashBack Lingering Souls and gives you access to Vault Of The Archangel.  You might want to do some reading here.

How to autocard: 

Show

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard!

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Remove the *'s to autodeck!

Pog and guard with parallel lives and cathar's crusade let them come in droves and buff themselves.

While this is true and without the P.O.G.+Guard combo it's very powerful, with the combo while it looks super powerful its actually pretty useless. If you have the combo you can just make more tokens anyway, so you don't need the lives. While the self buffing is cool for giving allyour stuff counters, if you're able to make 1,000,000 tokens in one turn you really don't need to give them 1,000,000 +1/+1 counters TOO.
Sign In to post comments