Arena-Training Prone and Chop build viable?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
So first off, this is my first time posting here.  I usually just lurk around and use already posted information to make my builds, however in this case I haven't found much in terms of what I'm trying to do.  (which is probably a bad sign haha)  So my concept was a bit inspired by Pyramid Head from Silent Hill, I'm using arena training in fullblade and kusari-gama(could be switched to spiked chain) to create a prone and chop build.  The campaign he's in isn't really designed to go higher than level 16 or so.  And I can't pick Enter the Crucible...DM thinks it's too OP.  The items in the build are just placeholders for appropriate level items.

My combat plan is:
1. Waltz into a group of enemies with kusari-gama in hand
2. Prone and mark EVERYBODY
3. Activate Rain of Steel
4. Laugh as they try to run (Quick Draw fullblade Cleave)/try to gang up on me (QUICK DRAW FULLBLADE CLEAVE+THP+Ironwrought Resistance)
5. If a new threat appears, bring them to their knees (Quick Draw kusari-gama reach Reaping Strike+slide adjacent)
6. Let the rest of the party mop up  

Now here's the actual questions: Do you think it will actually be effective as a defender? Or did I just make a low damage striker?/Interpret something wrong?  Is it possible to pump out more Paragon damage with the insane feat requirements this build has?

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Level 11
Goliath, Fighter (Weaponmaster), Goliath Juggernaut
Fighter Option: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents Option: Arena Training
Arena Training Option: Arena Training (Kusari-gama)
Arena Training Option: Arena Training (Fullblade)
Veteran of the Arena (+2 to Athletics)
Theme: Ironwrought

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 21, CON 19, DEX 15, INT 11, WIS 14, CHA 9

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 14, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 13, CHA 8

AC: 28 Fort: 25 Ref: 20 Will: 21
HP: 104 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 26

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +20, Endurance +15, Intimidate +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Arcana +5, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +7, History +5, Insight +7, Nature +9, Perception +7, Religion +5, Stealth +7, Streetwise +4, Thievery +7

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Ironwrought Attack: Inevitable Strike
Goliath Racial Power: Stone's Endurance
Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge
Fighter Attack 1: Reaping Strike
Fighter Attack 1: Cleave
Fighter Attack 1: Steel Serpent Strike
Fighter Attack 1: Driving Attack
Fighter Utility 2: Glowering Threat
Fighter Attack 3: Sweeping Blow
Fighter Attack 5: Rain of Steel
Ironwrought Utility 6: Ironwrought Toughness
Fighter Attack 7: Come and Get It
Fighter Attack 9: Bloodspike Sweep
Fighter Utility 10: Mighty Surge
Goliath Juggernaut Attack 11: Drive Them to Their Knees

FEATS
Level 1: Agile Superiority
Level 2: Quick Draw
Level 4: Rending Chains Student
Level 6: Headsman's Chop
Level 8: Untamed Berserker Style
Level 10: Flail Expertise
Level 11: Heavy Blade Opportunity

ITEMS
Magic Kusari-gama +3 x1
Magic Scale Armor +3 x1
Amulet of Protection +3 x1
Magic Fullblade +3
====== End ======

How are you using cleave to prone "Everbody?" Unless I'm missing something, Flail expertise only works on people you hit with a flail, and thus spreading around cleave's damage doesn't suddenly knock everyone prone due to flail shennanigans. Additionally, Headsman's Chop is also predicated on hitting, so you're not getting tons of damage out of that either.

I.E. I'm not certain that this build does what you think it does.

Additionally, get a Ki-Focus. Right now you're looking at 4x lvl11+ items on a level 11 character, which isn't going to happen in any reasonable game. Ki Focus also means you'll actually be able to hit enemies with your Fullblade, as opposed to suffering a -2 to hit because you've not got an expertise feat for it. Admittedly it will either eat your MC feat, or you lose Ironwrought.
How are you using cleave to prone "Everbody?" Unless I'm missing something, Flail expertise only works on people you hit with a flail, and thus spreading around cleave's damage doesn't suddenly knock everyone prone due to flail shennanigans. Additionally, Headsman's Chop is also predicated on hitting, so you're not getting tons of damage out of that either.

I.E. I'm not certain that this build does what you think it does.

Additionally, get a Ki-Focus. Right now you're looking at 4x lvl11+ items on a level 11 character, which isn't going to happen in any reasonable game. Ki Focus also means you'll actually be able to hit enemies with your Fullblade, as opposed to suffering a -2 to hit because you've not got an expertise feat for it. Admittedly it will either eat your MC feat, or you lose Ironwrought.

My thoughts were that Bloodspike Sweep and Sweeping Blow would work with Flail Expertise.  Thus letting me prone in burst. The item thing is negotiable, and I've already okay'd it with the DM.  The Ki Focus is a good idea to add even more to the attack roll though!  I'm pretty sure I get expertise in Fullblade and Kusari-gama as an Arena Fighter because they are my Arena Weapons.  And also because of this all attack roll/damage roll boosting feats I pick up for one weapon (Kusari-gama) then apply to the Fullblade. (The status effects don't however)

And with the prone hit, it seems I once again forgot that 4e doesn't have opportunity attacks when getting up from being prone. (Whoops haha)  It seems I need to find a new way to make the punishment actually scary.  Any suggestions?
Sorry, that was me being a derp. I totally missed the "Arena Fighter" part when writing my response, so yes, your feat bonus to attacks works with the flail and the fullblade. I withdraw that objection.

I was under the impression that you were trying to use Cleave to prone everyone. As you're not, I withdraw that objection.

Are you stowing your Kusari-Gama as a minor action at the end of each turn/and/or are you using some other way of storing for free? Quick draw allows you to draw a weapon as part of an action, but you can't put it away as one. Unless you're sacking minor actions each turn to either sheathe or pick your weapon back up (having dropped it at the end of your turn), you're going to run into problems. You may consider using a bastard sword and switching your Kusari-gama to a non-wielding 1 handed grip at the end of each round as a free action. That way it will work more like what you're describing.

^ This relies on a bit of esoteria, where you can carry a 2-hander in one hand, though you cannot wield it as a weapon while doing so. It would free up your other hand to draw the Bastard Sword. You would still have to sheathe the bastard sword each turn you wanted to use the flail though.

As to your last question, the only ways I know of to stop someone standing are either when a power explicitly states that you can't stand for some reason, or when you have the Pin Down feat, which requires the target to be grabbed by you. Unless you can grab everyone at once (somehow) then you're a bit out of luck as far as keeping them on the ground. I'de invest a lot of daily/encounter powers in Close Burst 1 weapon powers, which should let you prone your enemy if you can get a slide built in (Mark of Storm and a lightning weapon/ki focus is a good way of doing that.)
No problem, I miss things all the time.  One look at my build and that's pretty evident haha.

Good catch on the Quick Draw shenanigans.  The bastard sword method seems reasonable for me and I bet I can convince my DM to allow me to just let me one hand hold the chain.

Well, it seems it's time to go back to the drawing board.  Maybe getting rid of the heavy blade concept and switching to just using the kusari-gama with dual strike and switching to a waraxe and taking savage axe to make my opportunity attacks extra painful.  It seems the chains and heavy blade using Pyramid Head will just have to prowl elsewhere haha.
Spiked chain >>>>> kusari-gama

Check out the Flail Ideas thread to see just some of the ways that have been suggested for flails.