New player help

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This might be the wrong area to ask this, but here it goes.

Small introduction: I have been wanting to play D&D since I was a kid. I grew up in Hillbilly Montana, so finding a group or people to play with was impossible, I looked for years. Well now I'm living in an area with what seems to be an active table top community. The local comic and hobby shop hosts D&D encounters, and Lair Assults. One of the games starts tonight. I have a subscription to D&D insider, and have read into the players hand book quite a bit, but there is no info as to what level character I should generate. The game is tonight, and I really really would like to actually play tonight. 

So my questions are, what level character should I bring to the game?  Is a level 1 ok? And generally how friendly/not friendly are veterans to brand new players?
This might be the wrong area to ask this, but here it goes.

Small introduction: I have been wanting to play D&D since I was a kid. I grew up in Hillbilly Montana, so finding a group or people to play with was impossible, I looked for years. Well now I'm living in an area with what seems to be an active table top community. The local comic and hobby shop hosts D&D encounters, and Lair Assults. One of the games starts tonight. I have a subscription to D&D insider, and have read into the players hand book quite a bit, but there is no info as to what level character I should generate. The game is tonight, and I really really would like to actually play tonight. 

So my questions are, what level character should I bring to the game?  Is a level 1 ok? And generally how friendly/not friendly are veterans to brand new players?

First, welcome to D&D

The level of character you generate depends on the game you are joining.  If it is a brand new game/campaign then level 1 is probably where the DM will start (but not always), if you are joining a game already in progress then the DM should have told you what level to generate.

Since you only have a short time frame to work this out, and information is limited, my suggestion would be to try to contact the DM running the game and ask directly, "what level character should I create?" If that is not possible then my next suggestion would be to create a level 1 character and then level it up one level at a time to level 5 printing the character at each level.  This way you have one character at 5 levels of development.  I would also recommend that you show up a little early.  The DM might show up early too and that will give an opportunity to talk to him/her and have time to work out your character before the rest of the group shows up.

As to your question about veteran players' attitudes toward new players...everyone and every group is different.  Just let them know that you are new.  It may take a session or two to determine if you are fitting into the group or not.  If not, do not stick it out just because it is the only game in town.

I hope this advice is what you are looking for and I hope your gaming experience is a good one.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Are you really "entitled to your opinion"?
RedSiegfried wrote:
The cool thing is, you don't even NEED a reason to say yes.  Just stop looking for a reason to say no.
Welcome to DnD!

Just to add onto what DaBeerds said.

If you have a tablet or mobile device you can access Insider from, I’d make a level one character; then when you get there if you find out it’s higher, there is a handy little button on the Character Builder that reads something like “Level your Character up to level ____”

If he says its level 5, just tap that button four times and fill in all the appropriate choices (the tabs which need to add stuff should glow orange if they are not completely filled to level)

Should save you some paper; as well you can “View Character Sheet” from the builder as well and never even have to print off a copy unless your DM really wants you to use one.

Good Luck Adventurer!

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

Welcome and good luck.

At D&D Encounters, there are usually more-or-less appropriate pre-generated characters specifically intended for new players. Make what you want and what you think will work for this week, and if it doesn't work, use a pregen, then bring your own character next time.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

In case you didn't get it from everyone else: The PC you need to bring to encounters is level 1.  The current season of encounters is only a few weeks old, so your character should be level 1 (nearing level 2).  Feel free to play whatever you want.

Encounters are designed to be fun and easy introductions.  So don't worry about how good your character is, just get your feet wet.

And if you happen to be going to the same store as me, see you there! 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Thanks everyone for the advice and help! I went tonight with my wife, had a blast, and have a new addiction now lol. The group we played with is actually a few weeks behind the season or so they said. So we played some stock level 6 characters. Can't wait for next week!
Thanks everyone for the advice and help! I went tonight with my wife, had a blast, and have a new addiction now lol. The group we played with is actually a few weeks behind the season or so they said. So we played some stock level 6 characters. Can't wait for next week!

If you are playing Level 6, then you aren't playing Encounters (which ends at level 3). But I'm glad you had fun!
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here