3/14/2013 Sealed Deck Exercise

49 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Sealed Deck Builder, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
After considering various options, extort seems like a doable theme. At first I tried blue/black/?, but blue feels a bit inconsistent to be too large a part in a deck here. I ended up with black/white/red. This one is not finished, though as I'm having trouble whittling it down. I have taken out anything which doesn't contribute to extort or doing damage otherwise, though. The bracers are there because I wanted to try them and it works with the couple of battalion cards. I suppose I could cut the Boros Charm and the Midnight Recovery. Or some creatures....

This Deck was built in 0:52:49

Total Deck Size: 42
18 Lands
---------------
3 Mountain
5 Plains
10 Swamp

16 Creatures
---------------
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Ordruun Veteran
2 Shadow Alley Denizen
1 Sunhome Guildmage
1 Syndic of Tithes
3 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Vizkopa Guildmage
1 Wojek Halberdiers

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Act of Treason
1 Boros Charm
2 Contaminated Ground
1 Illusionist's Bracers
1 Midnight Recovery
2 Shadow Slice

I built a pure Orzhov deck, completely depending on Extort (I was beaten by almost the same deck) Light blue splash might be considered for Aetherize , 2 Dimir guildgates will make it quite easy and it would gain quite some time for extortion. 2 Skyblinder Staff will make screechers unblockable, it would both help damaging opponent or using Shadow Slice

This Deck was built in 0:11:14

Total Deck Size: 40
16 Lands
---------------
6 Plains
10 Swamp

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Assault Griffin
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Court Street Denizen
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Kingpin's Pet
2 Shadow Alley Denizen
1 Syndic of Tithes
3 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Vizkopa Guildmage

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Angelic Edict
1 Contaminated Ground
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Killing Glare
1 Orzhov Keyrune
2 Shadow Slice
2 Skyblinder Staff

I figured black/white was the best option, as the number of extort cards is TOO DAMN HIGH. After playing with Aetherize, it's too good to pass up, and 4-drop curve is pretty high, but I'd like to see how this would play out. The crypt ghast is actually really nice.

This Deck was built in 0:09:39

17 Lands
---------------
5 Island
4 Plains
6 Swamp
2 Dimir Guildgate

11 Creatures
---------------
1 Assault Griffin
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Syndic of Tithes
3 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Vizkopa Guildmage

12 Other Spells
---------------
1 Angelic Edict
1 Dimir Keyrune
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Hands of Binding
1 Killing Glare
1 Knight Watch
1 Orzhov Keyrune
1 Spell Rupture
1 Stolen Identity

This Deck was built in 0:18:30

17 Lands
---------------
8 Plains
8 Swamp
1 Thespian's Stage

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Assault Griffin
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Court Street Denizen
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Nav Squad Commandos
2 Shadow Alley Denizen
1 Syndic of Tithes
2 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Vizkopa Guildmage

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Angelic Edict
2 Contaminated Ground
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Illusionist's Bracers
1 Killing Glare
1 Midnight Recovery
1 Orzhov Keyrune

Black/White seemed best way to go for its creature selection and well rounded spells and abilities to deal with most things.  The Illusionist's Bracers can be used to double up on the extort ablilities on creature.  Black has decent removal and White can exile an enchantment or a creature. The 2 Contaminated Grounds are also a nice advantage and the cipher ability of the Midnight Recovery is great for bringing creatures back from the graveyard.

Freedom's just another word for nothing-left-to-lose. - Kris Kristoferson (sung by Janis Joplin)

@Guest above: Illusionist's Bracers will not do that, as extort is a triggered ability, not an activated ability.  You also can't use it to double-case Cipher cards or really do anything good other than double up on the Guildmage's triggers.  That means it isn't worth a card in this deck and should go straight into your trade binder.

I knew I had to be Orzhov.  I'm not sure about the optimal build though... I know Aetherize is great sometimes and all, but I've had opponents play around it to great effect and so instead for my splash I chose the unblockable Keyrune and Mr. 5/5 recastable the Leyline Phantom.

This Deck was built in 0:12:07

17 Lands
---------------
1 Island
8 Plains
6 Swamp
2 Dimir Guildgate

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Assault Griffin
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Court Street Denizen
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Leyline Phantom
1 Nav Squad Commandos
1 Shadow Alley Denizen
1 Syndic of Tithes
2 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Vizkopa Guildmage

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Aerial Maneuver
1 Angelic Edict
1 Dimir Keyrune
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Killing Glare
1 Midnight Recovery
1 Riot Gear
1 Shadow Slice
1 Shielded Passage

I haven't actually played with Crypt Ghast.  I can't tell you for sure whether it's good or not.  I cut it for a second Syndicate Enforcer, because I'd rather have that extra one power I think?  I'm not sure, that could be very very wrong in this regard.  Or just a tiny bit wrong and not that much worse because you're still getting an X/2 extort duder for 4.  I really wanted to splash in that Stolen Identity, but I just can't.  Especially not because my best Cipher target is the Keyrune, which effectively means I'd need all three of my blue-producing lands out to properly cast it.  I left out Hands of Binding for the same reason.  Riot Gear and Midnight Recovery are there to trade up and grind the opponent of creatures.  Against anyone who's super-aggressive, Shadow Slice comes out, but I want to start it main.  It's possible I want to be like EasyKO and cut my top end to max out on extorters, but I don't think the blue splash should be as heavy as it is in that build.

This Deck was built in 0:04:59

17 Lands
---------------
3 Mountain 
5 Plains
9 Swamp

14 Creatures
---------------
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Kingpin's Pet
2 Shadow Alley Denizen
1 Sunhome Guildmage
1 Syndic of Tithes
3 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Vizkopa Guildmage

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Angelic Edict
1 Boros Charm
1 Boros Keyrune
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Killing Glare
1 Madcap Skills
1 Orzhov Keyrune
1 Pit Fight
1 Shadow Slice

A fast aggressive deck centered around all the extort that's available. Splashing a little red for some removal and evasion.

Orzhov splash dimir as its nice an easy off the guild gates possibly one more blue soure needed... 

This Deck was built in 0:10:35

17 Lands
---------------
8 Plains
7 Swamp
2 Dimir Guildgate

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Assault Griffin
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Court Street Denizen
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Nav Squad Commandos
1 Syndic of Tithes
3 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Vizkopa Guildmage

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Aerial Maneuver
1 Angelic Edict
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Hands of Binding
1 Killing Glare
1 Knight Watch
1 Midnight Recovery
1 Shadow Slice
1 Totally Lost

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

This Deck was built in 0:15:34

17 Lands
---------------
2 Island
7 Plains
6 Swamp
2 Dimir Guildgate

17 Creatures
---------------
1 Assault Griffin
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Court Street Denizen
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Leyline Phantom
1 Nav Squad Commandos
2 Shadow Alley Denizen
1 Syndic of Tithes
3 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Vizkopa Guildmage

6 Other Spells
---------------
1 Aerial Maneuver
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Killing Glare
1 Orzhov Keyrune
1 Shielded Passage

Orzhov definitely seemed like the strongest color pair.  I tried to maximize the number of creatures with extort, and focused on having a lot of creatures and tricks at the one and two drop slot.  I splashed blue for the Leyline Phantom and Aetherize.  With the extort plan, bouncing their board with aetherize seems like a good tempo play, and will give us the time we need to finish off the opponent.  Leyline Phantom is a nice wall for later in the game, and we might even be able to get multiple extort triggers off of him by recasting.

Orzhov seemed the strongest guild, and most people seem to have figured it out.

The only question for me is how much to splash Dimir. Two gates and a keyrune give you healthy options. I think to splash the strongest blue card, Stolen Identity, you need at least 5 sources. However I was not tempted to run anything other than lategame blue wincons, which to me is stolen identity and way of the thief. I'm tempted by the aetherize, but would try not to run those over legitimately playable BW cards.

This Deck was built in 0:12:57

Total Deck Size: 40 17 Lands --------------- 2 Island 6 Plains 7 Swamp 2 Dimir Guildgate

13 Creatures --------------- 1 Assault Griffin 2 Basilica Screecher 1 Crypt Ghast 1 Dutiful Thrull 1 Kingpin's Pet 1 Nav Squad Commandos 1 Syndic of Tithes 3 Syndicate Enforcer 1 Thrull Parasite 1 Vizkopa Guildmage

10 Other Spells --------------- 1 Angelic Edict 1 Dimir Keyrune 1 Executioner's Swing 1 Killing Glare 1 Orzhov Keyrune 1 Riot Gear 2 Shadow Slice 1 Stolen Identity 1 Way of the Thief

Obviously Orzhov core.  Tried Borzhov at first for some red removal/utility, but the red is just too hard to make work. Esper is the other tri-color option and it's mana fixing availability is much better.

Esper

This Deck was built in 0:37:35

17 Lands
---------------
2 Island
6 Plains
6 Swamp
2 Dimir Guildgate
1 Thespian's Stage

13 Creatures
---------------
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Kingpin's Pet
2 Shadow Alley Denizen
1 Syndic of Tithes
3 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Vizkopa Guildmage

10 Other Spells
---------------
1 Angelic Edict
1 Dimir Keyrune
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Killing Glare
1 Orzhov Keyrune
2 Shadow Slice
1 Stolen Identity
2 Aetherize

And the last option is just straight Orzhov.  Which gives us the best mana base by far and still has enough playables to work:

This Deck was built in 0:41:29

17 Lands
---------------
8 Plains
9 Swamp

16 Creatures
---------------
1 Assault Griffin
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Court Street Denizen
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Nav Squad Commandos
2 Shadow Alley Denizen
1 Syndic of Tithes
3 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Vizkopa Guildmage

7 Other Spells
---------------
1 Angelic Edict
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Killing Glare
1 Knight Watch
1 Orzhov Keyrune
2 Shadow Slice

Not sure which of these two I like more.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I always read the posts above me before posting my decklist (but after I've built it).
Somehow I found this Naya build:

This Deck was built in 0:11:50

17 Lands
---------------
4 Forest
6 Mountain
6 Plains
1 Gruul Guildgate

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Adaptive Snapjaw
1 Assault Griffin
1 Court Street Denizen
1 Nav Squad Commandos
1 Ordruun Veteran
1 Rust Scarab
1 Skarrg Guildmage
1 Sunhome Guildmage
1 Sylvan Primordial
1 Syndic of Tithes
1 Viashino Shanktail
1 Wojek Halberdiers
1 Zhur-Taa Swine

10 Other Spells
---------------
1 Act of Treason
1 Angelic Edict
1 Boros Charm
1 Boros Keyrune
1 Ground Assault
1 Homing Lightning
1 Knight Watch
1 Madcap Skills
1 Pit Fight
1 Verdant Haven

I'll go back and restart the Sealed Deck Builder now and see if I still come to the same conclusion, or if I just missed the optimal build.

I am normally not a fan of extort decks, but I thought this deck might have what it takes.

This Deck was built in 0:03:56

17 Lands
---------------
7 Plains
8 Swamp
2 Dimir Guildgate

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Assault Griffin
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Court Street Denizen
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Kingpin's Pet
2 Shadow Alley Denizen
1 Syndic of Tithes
3 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Vizkopa Guildmage

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Angelic Edict
1 Dimir Keyrune
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Hands of Binding
1 Killing Glare
1 Knight Watch
1 Orzhov Keyrune
1 Shadow Slice

@Guest above: Illusionist's Bracers will not do that, as extort is a triggered ability, not an activated ability.  You also can't use it to double-case Cipher cards or really do anything good other than double up on the Guildmage's triggers.  That means it isn't worth a card in this deck and should go straight into your trade binder.

I thought extort was an activated ability since you had to tap mana to "activate" it.  Does the triggered ability of a spell being cast take presendece over the activated ability of having to tap mana?

Freedom's just another word for nothing-left-to-lose. - Kris Kristoferson (sung by Janis Joplin)

This Deck was built in 0:17:03

18 Lands
---------------
7 Plains
9 Swamp
2 Dimir Guildgate

12 Creatures
---------------
1 Assault Griffin
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Syndic of Tithes
3 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Vizkopa Guildmage

10 Other Spells
---------------
1 Angelic Edict
1 Dimir Keyrune
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Hands of Binding
1 Killing Glare
1 Knight Watch
2 Shadow Slice
1 Stolen Identity

Everything that can extort in this deck does so, added the keyrune for an outlet to cipher and just hope to survive early game and get some late game shadowslices and extorts going. Stolen Identity is too good to not be played especially if you recreate an extort creature (beast mode is replicating crypt ghast) and extorting until they die. weaknesses are against fast starting decks (Aetherize hopefully helps) and long range mill decks because this deck will often play 20+ turn matches. Not as much removal or card advantage as one would hope for (a grisly spectacle or last thoughts would help these fronts) overall a deck that should win more than it loses but not one that will dominate
illusionist's bracers merits a card in the orzhov deck because of one awesome interaction: sunhome guildmage+court street denizen.plus vizkopa's abilities stack.
1 mountain
7 plains
9 swamp
1 aerial manuever
1 angelic edict
1 boros keyrune
2 contaminated ground
1 Executioner's swing
1 illusionist's bracers
1 killing glare
1 knight watch
1 orzhov keyrune
2 basilica schreecher
1 court street denizen
1 crypt ghast
1 duitful thrull
1 kingpin's pet
1 sunhome guildmage
1 syndic of tithes
3 syndicate enforcer
1 thrull parasite
1 Vizkopa guildmage
I couldn't pass the dimir keyrune with all that great cypher. The land base is going to be the biggest thing that hurts me in this build though. I would love to play this one out.

This Deck was built in 0:14:32

Total Deck Size: 45
18 Lands
---------------
5 Island
4 Plains
6 Swamp
2 Dimir Guildgate
1 Thespian's Stage

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Assault Griffin
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Kingpin's Pet
2 Shadow Alley Denizen
1 Syndic of Tithes
3 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Vizkopa Guildmage

13 Other Spells
---------------
1 Angelic Edict
1 Dimir Keyrune
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Hands of Binding
1 Killing Glare
1 Orzhov Keyrune
1 Paranoid Delusions
1 Shadow Slice
1 Stolen Identity
1 Totally Lost
3 �therize

i really wanted to go for the ludicrous. 4 copies of biovisionary via stolen identity for the win.
so, using extort to keep the life up, with intimidate and cipher to recover creatures and perhaps win through direct damage, i got this:

16 Lands
---------------
5 Plains
6 Swamp
2 Dimir Guildgate
2 Simic Guildgate
1 Thespian's Stage

11 Creatures
---------------
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Biovisionary
1 Court Street Denizen
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Shadow Alley Denizen
1 Spire Tracer
1 Syndic of Tithes
1 Vizkopa Guildmage

13 Other Spells
---------------
1 Angelic Edict
1 Dimir Keyrune
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Killing Glare
1 Knight Watch
1 Midnight Recovery
1 Orzhov Keyrune
1 Purge the Profane
1 Shadow Slice
1 Shielded Passage
1 Spell Rupture
1 Stolen Identity

I thought extort was an activated ability since you had to tap mana to "activate" it.  Does the triggered ability of a spell being cast take presendece over the activated ability of having to tap mana?

The trigger condition for Extort is you casting a spell, it doesnt matter if you produced mana in order to do it. (you cant "tap mana" since mana isnt a permanent on the battlefield, its an imaginary resource in your mana pool) (you cant activate Extort because it isnt an activated ability) (Extort triggers when you cast a spell, even if you do not have mana left in your pool to pay or at that time, or even if you have no way of producing black or white mana before it resolves)

Extort uses "when/whenever/at" so is a triggered ability by definition. Activated abilities are written "[cost]:[effect]". Just because you need to pay mana if you want the ability to do anything when it resolves does not mean it is an activated ability. You dont even pay mana up front with Extort, like you do with the costs of activated abilities.

Hope that helps clear this up for you.

~ Tim     

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
It was just too good a card not to splash, but mostly it is an Exhort deck.

This Deck was built in 0:09:38

18 Lands
---------------
1 Island
7 Plains
8 Swamp
2 Dimir Guildgate

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Assault Griffin
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Court Street Denizen
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Nav Squad Commandos
1 Syndic of Tithes
3 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Vizkopa Guildmage

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Angelic Edict
1 Dimir Keyrune
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Killing Glare
1 Orzhov Keyrune
3 Aetherize

Pretty simple idea, get as many exhort guys in play, and then take advantage of cheap costing spells to syphon the life from them.  Obviously landing a Crypt Ghast is a major deal to the deck because it allows so much mana for abusing exhort.  And triple Aetherize is just insane.  Even if only one was there I would splash to include it.  It is such a massive game changer, and with the slow bleed of exhort working with it, just a nasty combo.  I chose not to include any cipher cards because I don't feel I have anything other than the Dimir Keyrune to consistently get through.  Most of the creatures are 2/2, so blocking one isn't going to be a major issue for opponents and my focus is on exhort, not combat anyway.

Stay focused, stay lean is the path to victory in any sealed event.

THIS ONE IS THE BEST

4 Forest
4 Plains
7 Swamp

1 Assault Griffin
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Rust Scarab
1 Spire Tracer
1 Sylvan Primordial
1 Syndic of Tithes
2 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Vizkopa Guildmage

1 Angelic Edict
1 Burst of Strength
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Illusionist's Bracers
1 Killing Glare
1 Orzhov Keyrune
1 Predator's Rapport
1 Purge the Profane
1 Shadow Slice
1 Skyblinder Staff
1 Verdant Haven

This thing went dimir all the way, white splash to grab the kingpin and a bit more extort. Very powerful build overall for an underplayed guild.

This Deck was built in 0:23:43

19 Lands
---------------
6 Island
1 Plains
9 Swamp
2 Dimir Guildgate
1 Thespian's Stage

8 Creatures
---------------
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Kingpin's Pet
2 Shadow Alley Denizen
1 Thrull Parasite

13 Other Spells
---------------
1 Dimir Keyrune
1 Hands of Binding
1 Killing Glare
1 Midnight Recovery
1 Paranoid Delusions
2 Shadow Slice
1 Spell Rupture
1 Stolen Identity
1 Way of the Thief
3 aetherize

I choose orzhov with splash of blue (Stolen Identity).

This Deck was built in 0:10:13

17 Lands
---------------
2 Island
8 Plains
5 Swamp
2 Dimir Guildgate

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Assault Griffin
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Court Street Denizen
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Nav Squad Commandos
1 Syndic of Tithes
3 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Vizkopa Guildmage

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Aerial Maneuver
1 Angelic Edict
1 Dimir Keyrune
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Killing Glare
1 Knight Watch
1 Shadow Slice
1 Stolen Identity
1 �therize

This Deck was built in 0:12:31

15 Lands
---------------
3 Forest
3 Island
2 Mountain
2 Swamp
2 Dimir Guildgate
1 Gruul Guildgate
2 Simic Guildgate

9 Creatures
---------------
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Leyline Phantom
1 Skarrg Guildmage
1 Spire Tracer
1 Sylvan Primordial
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Viashino Shanktail
1 Zhur-Taa Swine

16 Other Spells
---------------
1 Act of Treason
2 Burst of Strength
2 Contaminated Ground
1 Hands of Binding
1 Madcap Skills
1 Midnight Recovery
1 Paranoid Delusions
1 Primal Visitation
1 Spell Rupture
1 Totally Lost
1 Way of the Thief
3 �therize

Tried a control/aggro. Using flying with cipher sorcs and burst of strength to keep pressure on.  Aetherize keeps me safe whilst I save for a big creature plus enchantment. Have some bloodrush as well. Because I like bloodrush.
Did we just get the same as last week again?

sad panda  
Did we just get the same as last week again?

sad panda  

I thought this looked familiar...

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Extort/Cipher seemed like the way to go.

Between the Basillica Screechers, the Dimir Keyrune and the three Denizens, with Hands of Binding as icing on the cake, I see plenty of ways to get through my opponent's defenses. Throw in some Cipher cards and then extort off them and you have yourself a win condition. Illusionists Bracers probably wasn't among the best options I had, Vizkopa Guildmage being the only viable carrier for it, but Guildmage + Bracers + Extort was just too tasty to pass up.

This Deck was built in 0:09:46

17 Lands
---------------
2 Island
5 Plains
8 Swamp
2 Dimir Guildgate

12 Creatures
---------------
2 Basilica Screecher
1 Court Street Denizen