Alternative paladin mounts

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Player's Handbook says that a Medium paladin's special mount is usually a heavy warhorse. What if the player wants another mount?

In the 3.0 book Defenders of Faith, there was a table for more powerful paladin mounts, where a powerful mount required a higher level to get and decreased the paladin's effective level for determining its abilities.

Would this be usable in 3.5? Or is there other rules for alternative mounts?
You could probably use that. The MM referred specifically to Small paladins using warponies instead of warhorses. There are also racial ACFs in various books that let you use other mounts - the one I remember is an elf (even a male) can use a unicorn.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
I've gotten in trouble for saying this before but I'd be very cautious about using the stuff in DoF in a 3.5 game.  This stems from my reluctance to say a young green dragon is an appropriate cohort for an 11th-level clereic despite that clearly be stated in DoF for 3.0; in 3.5 that same dragon counts as a 16th-level character making it wildly inappropriate.

I believe there are similar tables for 3.5 although I do not remember where they are located.  The places I'd look are the DMG, PHB, CW, CD, and maybe even PHB2.  I believe the type of special mount you could call is based, at least in part, on how strong it is and maybe it's ECL if intelligent.  Of course a stronger base creature as a mount should mean a lower effective Paladin level for the added abilities.

Ashworm Dragoon gives you an Ashworm. Knight of the Iron Glacier gives you a supermoose. But beyond PrCs? Yeah, you're SoL.
Customer Disservice of the House of Trolls Resident Secretly Ron Paul God of Spite and Sloth
Thank you all for the replies.

I was thinking of dire wolves, lions and things like that. Basically just animals bigger and badder than horses. Would it be fine using the DoF rules in that case?
DMG Page 204 lists alternate paladin mounts. Really people, this is performance a bit disappointing for content in a core rulebook.
The core DMG has the biggest selection, the Draconomicon has dragon special mounts, and there are a few others scattered about the various books.  My listing for special mounts (which doesn't cover campaign- or prestige-specific options) gives just eight other entries, including a template listed in two different places and the elven substitution level for unicorns.
I was thinking of dire wolves, lions and things like that. Basically just animals bigger and badder than horses. Would it be fine using the DoF rules in that case?

Almost all of the Defenders of the Faith options are covered in the DMG or other books, so you're really better off using the 3.5 material and adapting (or having your DM adapt) the few that aren't already included.  At a casual glance, I'm not seeing anything in DotF that isn't covered in a 3.5 book.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
I have no idea how I overlooked that... Sorry. Thank you all for being so helpful. 
Ashworm Dragoon gives you an Ashworm. Knight of the Iron Glacier gives you a supermoose. But beyond PrCs? Yeah, you're SoL.

I ... I kinda want a supermoose.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

I ... I kinda want a supermoose.

I know, right? I actually built an ubermoose build a while back. Can't find it, though. I think it died with my last laptop and I'm AFB.
Customer Disservice of the House of Trolls Resident Secretly Ron Paul God of Spite and Sloth
Does the Supermoose come with a cape, wear its underwear as outerwear, and have a giant M emblazened on its armor? Maybe it has a super squirrel that flies as a sidekick!

I just might need to find a reason to put in a supermoose in my game.
I know, right? I actually built an ubermoose build a while back. Can't find it, though. I think it died with my last laptop and I'm AFB.

I rarely desire to play a character because of one class feature but supermoose is just too cool for school.  Like, it's like the bees' knees. 
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

wasnt there also a feat, allowing you to use your animal comapanion as a paladin mount? so a 1lvl dip druid would give you more choises
wasnt there also a feat, allowing you to use your animal comapanion as a paladin mount? so a 1lvl dip druid would give you more choises

Devoted Tracker, right?

Founder - but not owner - of Just Say Yes!

Member of LGBT Gamers

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
Why there should be the option to use alignment systems:
Show
If some people are heavily benefiting from the inclusion of alignment, then it would behoove those that AREN'T to listen up and pay attention to how those benefits are being created and enjoyed, no? -YagamiFire
But equally important would be for those who do enjoy those benefits to entertain the possibility that other people do not value those benefits equally or, possibly, do not see them as benefits in the first place. -wrecan (RIP)
That makes sense. However, it is not fair to continually attack those that benefit for being, somehow, deviant for deriving enjoyment from something that you cannot. Instead, alignment is continually attacked...it is demonized...and those that use it are lumped in with it.

I think there is more merit in a situation where someone says "This doesn't work! It's broken!" and the reply is "Actually it works fine for me. Have you considered your approach might be causing it?"

than a situation where someone says "I use this system and the way I use it works really well!" and the back and forth is "No! It is a broken bad system!" -YagamiFire

Yup. And, if you're a Halfling, then you can go Halfling Outrider, which increases both AC & pally mount. Look up Supermount! for that.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Sign In to post comments