Possible redeeming qualities for a know-it-all brat?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
In the game I join next, I'll be playing a 12 year-old mage that fits the above description. Technically he would be smarter than everyone else, as no one has INT even as a secondary, but that's neither here nor there.

So I've got plenty of ways for him to be annoying to the party. Arrogant, superior, childish. But no positives; no reason to root for him. Except, of course, relying on humanity's shared love of children. Fingers crossed.

What would be ways to inure himself to the blockheads? Ideally this could also connect to his mageiness. The only one I could think of was being a good listener. HIgh INT types can retain lots of information, so he'll pay attention to people acutely. But they're not the chatty sort, so that has limited application.

What is his relationship to the other PC's.  Family? Friends? Aquaintences?  For a 12 yo to be adventuring with them there should be some prior relationship.  Or at least a mascot kinda thing (whether they think he's their mascot or he thinks they are his sidekicks)

I would focus on loyalty.  Or maybe a Lenny/George thing.  He's big, dumb, and uncivilized, but he's my big dumb uncivilized buddy.  My, mine.  I can be rude to him, but if you some much as look at him wrong I will burn you! (while he crushes you with his big muscles)

Remember, it's not so much knowing your friend has your back, it's knowing you have his.

Ah, haven't decided that. Truth be told, I was gonna go with the old standby "He's on a job that so happens to coincide with the main party's. Convenient!" He's joining one in progress, and is level 7, so I figure he's been adventuring a lot.

Easy answer; give him a quality that people like in people.

If you leave him no good qualities then he won’t be liked; because there is nothing to like.

-Maybe he is a big softy when it comes to injured animals; maybe every time he sees a stray cat he goes out of his way to give it some milk.

-Maybe he puts himself in harm’s way to protect innocent life

- Maybe he always donates some of his gold to the poor.

If you have them I’d use my Mage Hand & Presdig. (Can’t figure out how to spell it lol) to do lots of benefitual things for random strangers.

Just got to decide what redeeming trait to give him if you want him to be liked.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

You're playing a 12 year old child. That is his redeeming quality. Every once in a while let his childish side show through. I don't mean his stubborn mean childish side, his vunerable 'I want my mommy' side. Remind people they're not working with a hardened warrior they're dealing with a child.
You could also tone down the negative traits.
Instead of acting arrogent he could be excited about shareing trivia with his friends.
"did you know that the human head weighs eight pounds?"

I have often had normal children 12 and under try to have inteligent conversations with me. talking about the things they learned in school or that they observed for them selves.

As a child he could assume that the grown-ups know just as much as he dose and be surprised every single time that he knows something no one else dose.

Or not. Talk to your group they may enjoy haveing a "guy you love to hate" in the party.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
You're playing a 12 year old child. That is his redeeming quality. Every once in a while let his childish side show through. I don't mean his stubborn mean childish side, his vunerable 'I want my mommy' side. Remind people they're not working with a hardened warrior they're dealing with a child.

Depends on the group.  I'd actually find that even MORE annoying.
Watch a lot of the show Bones.

Other than that, try making him somewhat clueless about social interaction, maybe too generous (because he just doens't think ahead in terms of money. that sort of thing.
This reminds me of a friend who once played a half halfling/half half-elf kid. (yeah, it was that kind of campaign)
He played the kid as an impulsive kid that was naieve and overly trusting. He was actually really cute in a way. He was also an insufferable brat of course...

So like Joffrey Baratheon?

"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider

That kid is a psychopath, no matter what his age.

Sounds like a good candidate for a red smile
Have you ever read the comic book:  Impulse, by DC Comics?  Tone down the goofiness, but having a character that can't sit still would be an interesting character to behold....