Extruded Polystyrene!

I have recently discovered extruded polystyrene insulation boards for my terrain pieces and am having a blast. I'm sure plenty of tabletop gamers have used this stuff. It's cheap ($30 for a 2"-thick 4'x8' sheet), easy to carve, lightweight, and holds up well after a good coat of latex paint. I am currently working on a set of tunnel and brick walls. This base is just cardboard, my next step is using a big piece of 1" board to make a textured base. The best method I have come up with for imprinting a move grid is pressing chicken wire fencing into it. The fencing is perfectly sized, 1" hexes, but a little stretchy. I am open to better suggestions.

my next step is using a big piece of 1" board to make a textured base. The best method I have come up with for imprinting a move grid is pressing chicken wire fencing into it. The fencing is perfectly sized, 1" hexes, but a little stretchy. I am open to better suggestions.

Placing a dot every 1 inch can allow for a functioning grid that doesn't interfere with the terrain's aesthetics:

I mainly do this for square grids (i.e. the standard D&D grid). However, this method can still work for hex based system (like GURPS) by offsetting the rows of dots:
your terrain looks really good
thanks, realmaster. let's split up!!!!! RIP Gary Gygax 1938-2008 RIP Dave Arneson 1947-2009 Click here to see my have/want list I have over 90 completed trades on Maxminis, WOTC and Hordelings under the same user name.
Thanks. I wound up using a hot knife to cut hexes into my board. Very tedious, but I got the look I was going for. I'm going to try and make a hex grid out of copper for next time. Nothing huge, maybe 12"x12". Heat it up over the grill and emboss that way.

Sign In to post comments