Dragon #421 - Understanding the UA Multi-Classing Rules

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I don't know why, but I am having the hardest time wrapping my brain around the new Unearthed Arcana MC rules from Dragon 421. Maybe I'm just having a slow day, who knows?

Anyways, I'd like to be able to understand it so I can decide whether or not to implement it into my game or not, but as written I cannot make heads or tails of it. 

Would someone out there mind explaining this article to me like I am 5?

Thanks! 
You know when you would normally take a new encounter, daily or utility power from your own class (your "primary class") when you level up? You can choose not to do so. Instead, you can choose to take the same type of power (EDU) of the same level or lower from any other class in the game (your "secondary class"). So when you would normally take Disruptive Strike as your Ranger's level 3 encounter power, you can now take the Rogue's Low Slash. 

When you take a level from a secondary class, you also gain the number of hit points that class gets when it levels up, instead of the number your primary class gets. You can even do this on levels where your primary class doesn't get a new power. So for most classes, levels 4, 8, 11, 12, 14, 18, 20, 21, 24 and 28 should now be Warden levels, since that class gets the most hit points per level of any class in the game. 

You can do this as often as you like. So under these rules, it's perfectly fine to never take a primary class power from level 2 onwards. You're also not restricted to just one secondary class. So a level 30 Barbarian can have powers from literally every other class in the game if he so chooses, taking a different secondary class every time he gains a new power. He can also have a big bag of HP for multiclassing to Warden every level he doesn't gain a power.

What you don't get when you choose to do so, is any sort of benefit your primary class would give you at that level. So no class features, powers and other stuff. This is especially harmful to Essentials classes, who gain a new class feature at several different levels. 

And be careful to never, ever multiclass this way into a class that uses power points. Just don't.
Thank you for the clarification!
You forgot "In addition, there are several options to take class features.  Specifically, if you're an MBA spammer of any sort, you should take your 9th level in ranger, giving up a daily power but getting a top-notch striker class feature.  It is unlikely any of the other unusual options are worth knowing about."

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima