Noob Attack Question

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Please help me define what this attack means:

Shortbow (weapon) At-will
Attack:  Ranged 15 (one or two creatures); +11 vs AC
Hit 1d8+4 damage

There is debate about whether or not this is two attacks or one attack.  If two attacks, do they have to be against different targets?

I can see if were a spell, why the attacks would have to be against different targets, but when shooting a bow, why couldn't they be against the same target?

Thanks!          

Basically it is a single attack made against one or two creatures.

You cannot hit the same creature twice, but you can hit two creatures once.

If you only have 1 target, you only make 1 attack. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I totally get for that a spell (like the level 1 wizard dart spell), but is makes no sense for a short bow.

I couldn't hit two targets with one action (like the spell), so if I am making two attacks, why not against the same target?

I am not arguing with you because I think that is how the rule is supposed to be read, but it just doesn't make logical sense.     
It would specify in the power if you could make 2 attacks against a single target.
I totally get for that a spell (like the level 1 wizard dart spell), but is makes no sense for a short bow.

I couldn't hit two targets with one action (like the spell), so if I am making two attacks, why not against the same target?

I am not arguing with you because I think that is how the rule is supposed to be read, but it just doesn't make logical sense.     

It's shooting two arrows from the same bow which go in different directions, naturally.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I can see if were a spell, why the attacks would have to be against different targets, but when shooting a bow, why couldn't they be against the same target? 

Because the rules say so. Super simple, really.

If you try to apply logical to all things in the game, it will break your brain.

Apply logic to proning a shark.

It doesn't work.  The game works a specific way because the rules say that is how it works.  At some point, in any system ever, you realize you are playing a game and that there are certain game elements in it.  Does X make sense in the real world?  No.  But then again there aren't real world dragons so let it go.  It is how the system works.  Now whether you like this particular part of the system is a whole different ball of wax.  But it is how the system works.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
You are so awesome with the bow, you can ricochet an arrow off the skull of the first target into another nearby enemy

Look at it this way. You're shooting two arrows in two different directions. That's the ability you're using. If there's only one target, the other arrow has nothing to hit. It's like in Prince of Thieves when he bits off the fletchings, and fires two arrows at once at two different targets. If there wasn't a second target, the other arrow would have just kept going.

Sign In to post comments