Wandering Monsters: Creepy Crawlies

Wandering Monsters
Creepy Crawlies

By James Wyatt

That thing that's crawling up your leg or going down the back of your shirt or chasing you around the outside of your house? It might have a cousin in D&D—and that cousin might have quite a bit more bite to it. Come read about the creepy, crawling things that James covers this week.

Talk about this column here.

Fairest of Them All
I'd consider Carrion Crawlers and Rust Monsters to be a Medium level threat.
This is horrible. Are they trying to turn D&D into a story-less dungeon delving game? Because these monsters are boring as hell! How am I supposed to use these things in adventures if they don't have at least some semblance of interesting fluff? 

Stop the H4TE

I found the Ankheg, Carrion Crawler, Purple Worm, Ruster Monster and Stirge were spot on. I didn't know the Purple Worm was referenced all the way back to Chainmail as a form of dragon, kinda cool!

Also glad to hear the Shadow Mastiff is the most desirable dog/cat to be promoted to top-tier, it was the one i voted for!

I agree about Carrion Crawler. The threat level of the Rust Monster really depends on the potency of its rusting powers; its basic stats though are fairly low level.

I found the Ankheg, Carrion Crawler, Purple Worm, Ruster Monster and Stirge were spot on. I didn't know the Purple Worm was referenced all the way back to Chainmail as a form of dragon, kinda cool!

I thought that was pretty cool as well!

I agree about Carrion Crawler. The threat level of the Rust Monster really depends on the potency of its rusting powers; its basic stats though are fairly low level.

They specifically mentioned that the Rust Monster was able to rust magic weapons -- that's some scary stuff right there! Especially considering the rarity of said items! 

Danny

I love all of these monsters, and I think the descriptions given are all spot on.

My current group of players just learned a valuable lesson about how deadly a swarm of stirges can be.
I miss the template Monstrous Beast [ Savage Species p.122-24 ] because I would like a vermin mount like from 90´s arcade "Golden Axe: Revenge Death Adder".

The vermins mounts were canon in the 3rd Ed Guide of Arms and Equipment (and in Dark Sun the kanks...).

The chitin golem was canon in Dark Sun...Could a chitin half-golem be possible to create a vermin-construct mount?  

Yes, I am wonderfully crazy.

---

Couuld dread necromancer could use stirges to create simbiotic grafts (for vampires or other creatures)? 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

All of these are fine but I'm feeling that he is missing (possibly on purpose) discussing certain elements of various creatures that would benefit the game.  Why not ask us about the paralysis ability or questions about the rusting ability?

Right now with what he is working on and the questions he is asking we basically are going to say yep it is good because it is pretty much 100% edition consistent and avoiding any kind of difficult question.
They specifically mentioned that the Rust Monster was able to rust magic weapons -- that's some scary stuff right there! Especially considering the rarity of said items! 

Glad to see!
Maybe the era of uber-nerfed iconic creatures is finally over.
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft

Glad to see!

Now all they have to do is make most gear out of metal and it would actually be a threat to someone other than fighters.

Glad to see!

Now all they have to do is make most gear out of metal and it would actually be a threat to someone other than fighters.

This is the most typical mistake people make when talking about creatures such as Rust Monsters, Book Worms, and so on......the purpose of the creature is not to actually destroy the party's goods, but to make the party members think outside of their little class-based boxes. I have been using rust monsters and other "gotcha" monsters for 25+ years now, and have yet to destroy a character's gear. If you ask my players, they'll swear that rust monsters are the worst things ever, and to be feared above most other monsters...yet none of them have ever lost anything to one. The reason? Well, the biggest reason is because I'm not a jerk. But the second biggest reason is because it isn't necessary to make the creature seem terrible and frightening. The creativity the players will use to circumvent a rust monster is hard to match using any other monster. They never have to lose so much as a normal dagger for this to happen, either. That's the true joy of these kinds of monsters.
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft

Glad to see!

This is the most typical mistake people make when talking about creatures such as Rust Monsters, Book Worms, and so on......the purpose of the creature is not to actually destroy the party's goods, but to make the party members think outside of their little class-based boxes. I have been using rust monsters and other "gotcha" monsters for 25+ years now, and have yet to destroy a character's gear. If you ask my players, they'll swear that rust monsters are the worst things ever, and to be feared above most other monsters...yet none of them have ever lost anything to one. The reason? Well, the biggest reason is because I'm not a jerk. But the second biggest reason is because it isn't necessary to make the creature seem terrible and frightening. The creativity the players will use to circumvent a rust monster is hard to match using any other monster. They never have to lose so much as a normal dagger for this to happen, either. That's the true joy of these kinds of monsters.

Than it would be better for everyone to have metal gear so they can all think outside the box and my point stillo stands.  Creativity for everyone!
Sign In to post comments