Dragon 421

147 posts / 0 new
Last post
Its out.  The draconian variants are very very interesting.

Edit:  And with the new multiclass rules, Mia is now obsolete. 
Unless the new rules give everyone a bonus attack per round at 11, PMC ranger's not obsolete. Or did you mean "illegal"?
Concussive Vengeance racial power option from draconian it's terrible...

Multiclass rules doesn't seem to be that bad if you apply the system limits stabilished there... otherwise it would be very broken. 
Under the new MC rules, ANY one can mc ranger at L9, trade a daily away, and get dual weapon attack.  So... a bladesinger with a longsword and wrist razors can mc ranger at 9, give up the L9 power and take dual weapon attack.  Now you have a bladesinger that can mba, dual weapon attack, and bladespell in a single round.
In that case, PMC isn't obsolete, it's upgraded.

Also Bladesingers can't trade dailies (they can trade for encounter powers if anything at all) and the requirement lines for Bladespells and Dual Weapon Attack contradict each other to such an extent that only gauntlet axe wielding or a thri kreen allows both.
Wrist razors do not count as being held in your hand.  So you can do rapier and wrist razors and load up on light blade feats.
Oh, and the whole thing is apparently a UA article, so nothing changes unless your DM is changing the rules. And here you had me all excited for nothing.
On a quick glance through

Toxic Saliva is basically "Echoing Weapon: The Racial"

The made a Rabbitslayer weapon that wasn't available for enchanting hand grenade (holy or not).

They made a weapon that can only be used if you are a race that doesn't exist in 4e.

And the new MCing rules are UA so in no way canon. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Everything in this issue is a waste of my money.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Figures they'd finally fix something we've all been complaining about for years only to stuff it away in one of their "hey, here's some houserules" articles.
Actually a load of the dragonborn stuff is usable, it's just given to an already relatively oversupported race.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Yay for Sparky now having +1 per tier to damage rolls and at-will flight from level 1?
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Actually a load of the dragonborn stuff is usable, it's just given to an already relatively oversupported race.

Yes, that's my problem with it. Anything that they do which increases the support for any of the 8-ish oversupported things in 4e is wasteful.

I also don't see it as "This is a neat alternative article that makes a good race better" but as "This could have been Shivs of Sorcery - Beyond Heroics"
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Figures they'd finally fix something we've all been complaining about for years only to stuff it away in one of their "hey, here's some houserules" articles.

Psh. This isn't a fix, it's a break. The original MC rules were much less clunky and ad hoc, the powerswap feats simply should have been condensed to one rather than three.

The article itself reads like the remains of an abortive attempt to use Themes for multiclassing, which would've been an interesting angle to take, but unfortunately isn't what they did.
Hahahaha, "Shivs of Sorcery" should be the new name for Sorcerous Blade Channeling.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Hahahaha, "Shivs of Sorcery" should be the new name for Sorcerous Blade Channeling.

Shivs of Sorcery is the existing name for the article that gave us Lightning Cuts and Ensorcelled Blade.
So, the draconian article and the article about the Dragonlance items is probally going to be the closest we are going to get for a offical 4e Dragonlance setting. Well, I've really only studied the draconian articles, so here's my notes on that:

• Instinctive Flight (Borzak and Kapak): Well, if you need to fly onto higher ground for protection - it works, I guess. It's not going to open up a lot of optimization roads, but it at least is decent. Probally gets a Black if I were doing a guide. Replaces Draconic Hertage, so... if you have a low CON score, it could be a good replacement.

• Arcane Blood (Brozak): It's free Implment Focus for sorcerers and warlocks (because it only applies to arcane powers). And since it's a racial bonus, it stacks with the actual Implement Focus, as well as other damage-boosting feats. Would be Blue (perhaps even Light Blue) for sorcers and warlocks (free damage is always good), but would be Red for other classes. Replaces Dragonborn Fury. Consistant effects are better than conditionals in a lot of cases, even if one applies to attack and the other to damage.

• Concussive Vegnance (Borzak): What is this rubbish? Firstly, +2/+4/+6 scaling, which is a bad start, espically now. Helmick, why arn't you using +3/+6/+9 scaling? It's unfriendly (so, if you are next to a squishy, sucks to be him), no damage roll (so no damage bonuses), and for using the power, you get beaten down to bloodied (and if you are - tough luck). Then, only proning. Would it be too much to ask for a slide so that I do not get waylayed by enemies after the power is used? It does automatically trigger when you die, so that's something, but as mentioned before, a prone is not going to stop your enemies from killing you. Red - there is really no other rating for the power. Replaces Dragon Breath/Dragonfear - just use one of those powers instead - at least they arn't Concussive Vegnance.

• Murderous Eye (Kapak): CA against slowed, immobilized, or weakened enemies. Situationally useful, probally more if you can consistantly generated one of these conditions. However, it is redundant with World's Serpernt's Grasp, since prone enemies give you CA anyway. The rating depends on the character - probally Purple for most, but it increases depending on your build. Replaces Dragonborn Fury - if you are the certain build that can constantly inflict those conditions, unless you have WSG, you would do fairly well taking the trade.

• Sinuous Agility (Kapak): Dexterity is now a option for Dragonborn characters, along with Charisma. So you can finally be that artful dodger dragonborn that you wanted to be. Would make for a funny character. You can be a Dragonborn DEX sorcerer if you choose, making them one of the only races with ability scores for all the sorcerers. I don't know how I would rate this, really. Depends on what exactly you are planning to build. (Oh, and this makes Dragonborn the only race with two floating ability score choices.)

• Caustic Heritage (Kapak): Really two things: Toxic Saliva, as Fardiz said, is Echoing Weapon: The Racial, with a slowing save ends effect (that turns into immobilization after a failed save). Decent, but it's slightly worse than the actual power, as it takes a minor action to activiate. It's not going to open up any damage type shenigains, unlike the similiar Promise of Storm, but it would be good for dragonborn slayers (because of their silly-high static bonuses) and for LDB's Lone Wolf ranger (because it is a minor action attack, which rangers love). But Acidic Revenge... +2/+4/+6 scaling. Again. Triggers on death, again, and is unfriendly, again. Probally worse for the other squishies. Well, at least this power involves dice - but ongoing acid save-ends is just going to annony enemies. Yea, I'm inclined to rate this Purple when compared to Dragon Breath/Dragonfear - because at least that has much more support than these two powers. But or slayers, or that Lone Wolf dragonborn ranger build, it goes up in rating to Blue, for the reasons mentioned. Just do not have the other party members stand near you when you are near death.

And the new racial feats:

• Bozak Evoker: Requires Bozak Draconian (ok), Arcane Blood (decent), and Concussive Vegnance (which as stated before, is rubbish). For getting all that and this feat, you gain the "double damage bonus" part of Tempest Magic, but it applies to all arcane powers. And a minor proning effect with critical hits. Would be a decent feat (albiet not the best use of your feat slots), but haiving to take Concussive Vegnance lets it down a lot. Purple, or maybe even Red.

• Draconian Wings: Requires ether draconain and the flight feature. Ignore speed penalities with heavy armor (can be gotten elsewhere - a magic armor offers that in a recent Dragon issue), and flight alititude limit increased by 2. Because you realy need to get to that ledge. Waste of a feat. Would not even be worth mentioning in most cases.

• Kapak Resistance: Requires Kapak draconain and Caustic Heratage. You get restiance to acid and poision, which scales. Maybe if you are fighting oozes, drow, or or both often? But not really worth it unless you are in those cases. Red for most, if not all characters.

Yea, not a good turnout overall. Arcane Blood is good, as well as the new racial bonus, and the flight, but not much else, really.

AKA: William Imm on RPG Crossing and most other sites. All much better designed than the WotC forums.

Gathering intrest on a unofficial contuniation of 4e - PM me if intrested.

One really severe exploit with the new Unearthed Arcana multiclass variant rules is the thief poaching the scout's Dual Weapon Attack at level 9, sacrificing only a +2 bonus to iniative and +1 to weapon damage rolls (which, depending on interpretation, you'd get back at level 15).  That's a lot cheaper than the old method of paragon multiclassing ala Mia, which burns four feats and a paragon path.
But it's UA, so likely won't fly in organized play.

Yay for rhymes?
willimm - Echoing Weapon is a sky blue leader power - having it as a racial is awesome (even if it is poison damage). It puts Dragonborn up with Genasi for the top melee striker race (and you can combine both at epic). The Toxic Saliva replacement is at least blue (if not skyblue) for strikers (dragonfear is only good for fighters and dragonbreath for sorcs).
You're overstating the matter. It's an extra minor action attack, which is definitely good, but it's not Continuous Extra Elemental Damage good.

The Dragonborn Lone Wolf build will be happy with it, to be sure, but it's not changing much elsewhere. Slayers, I guess.
But it's UA, so likely won't fly in organized play.

Yay for rhymes?

Definitely illegal for LFR. Probably too complicated to program into OCB, so they punted it to UA. Which is fortunate.

The MC rules are completely ridiculous. It isn't just Mia made obsolete, it is the entire rules system made obsolete. You can be a Warden on every level where you don't pick a power for max hp, be a feature-rich class at 1st level, and then pick the exact class you want for the perfect power choice at any level.
And looking at the MC rules, it seriously says "It you gain a power" early on. Bad start arleady. And from brieftly examing that page - this is not breaking the game. I'll repeat that again. This is not breaking the game. No, no, no, this is breaking the game, comming back, stabbing it with a katana, dissecting it with a hacksaw blade, eating its paper, consuming its soul, becomming Pun-Pun, and doing the same thing 12 more times just to be safe.

Ugh. Who would be crazy enough to allow that? Not me, for sure. 

AKA: William Imm on RPG Crossing and most other sites. All much better designed than the WotC forums.

Gathering intrest on a unofficial contuniation of 4e - PM me if intrested.

Technically, nothing in this (Alternate MC) article is broken by my definitions.

Wow, oh wow, is it all bent though.

Starting suggestions: you should only be allowed to take a level as a class you've already MCed into via a feat.  You must have taken a power swap feat first.  You always must have one power from your primary class of each type (as per RC power swap rules).

At that point, it's "all power swap feats are one feat, except that you can swap multiple utilities.  And here are some rough equivilences for other classes that we think are valid power swaps (but we're crazy)" 

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Good hell, those MC rules are absurd. I do believe that there is no better term. It's like Eternal Seeker on crack. From level 1. With no downside. At all.

As for the dragonborn article, add my voice to the chorus. Yada yada oversupported race yada yada ridiculously specific arcane support yada yada stupid 2/4/6 scaling yada yada. Actually, I do have one additional observation: the listed altitude limits are totally, 100% pointless. Altitude limits don't limit how high you can fly during your move. They limit how high you can fly at the end of your turn (RC 210). But since you have to land at the end of your turn anyway, this is absolutely pointless! You can totally fly higher during your move (or even, if you're willing to crash, fly straight up and then take your standard action). The limit doesn't actually do a damn thing.
It limits your ability at low levels to avoid purely melee enemies.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
It limits your ability at low levels to avoid purely melee enemies.

How, pray tell? I repeat, altitude limits only matter at the end of the turn. The feature specifically says that you have to land at the end of the turn, period. The altitude limit cannot apply.
Its obvious. If you have to land, you can't hover out of range of a lot of ****. It also prevent you from easily avoiding large obstacles. Certainly, its great. But it does have limitations unlike what you've stated.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Its obvious. If you have to land, you can't hover out of range of a lot of ****. It also prevent you from easily avoiding large obstacles. Certainly, its great. But it does have limitations unlike what you've stated.

I don't think you understand what RayjeEliwan is saying (which is correct): an altitude limit restricts how high you can be in the air at the end of your turn.  It does not limit how high you can fly during your turn.  The Instinctive Flight feature requires you to land at the end of your turn, so adding an altitude limit does nothing.
your ratings on the new subtypes are all off, willimm. You aren't required to select all of the options that they present, you get to pick and choose.

Arcane Blood being an always on +1/tier damage bonus is Gold for any non-weapon-primary, damage dealing, Arcane character, nothing Kapak has compares. Yeah, that's a bit of a qualifier, so: All Sorcerers, nearly every Warlock, non-Valbards, non-enchanter Wizards.

The rest of Arcane would want Kapak with all the SMs, Melee Locks, Valbards, and Artificers absolutely wanting Toxic Saliva and basically every non-blaster wizard, most warlocks, and swordmages wanting Murderous Eye for easy CA.

Just about every other class would go Kapak for Toxic Saliva at the least, if not better matching stats. The support from Dragonbreath only matters if you can use it more than once, which means Dragon Sorc, I suppose a warlord would take their one feat just for a nova round. Some Defenders would take Dragon Fear I suppose, but this is about on par overall, making it Good for everyone at worst.

And seriously, rating at-will Flight anything but gold is absurd, the surge value bonus is pitiful unless you're specifically optimizing your surge value as a Runepriest/Artificer mix.
The "have to land" restriction on that flight means that you have to be on your feet at the end, unlike the pixie, which frequently ends her turn one square up (and thus avoids things like flanking).  Perhaps that's what zelink is getting at?
your ratings on the new subtypes are all off, willimm. You aren't required to select all of the options that they present, you get to pick and choose.

Arcane Blood being an always on +1/tier damage bonus is Gold for any non-weapon-primary, damage dealing, Arcane character, nothing Kapak has compares. Yeah, that's a bit of a qualifier, so: All Sorcerers, nearly every Warlock, non-Valbards, non-enchanter Wizards.

The rest of Arcane would want Kapak with all the SMs, Melee Locks, Valbards, and Artificers absolutely wanting Toxic Saliva and basically every non-blaster wizard, most warlocks, and swordmages wanting Murderous Eye for easy CA.

Just about every other class would go Kapak for Toxic Saliva at the least, if not better matching stats. The support from Dragonbreath only matters if you can use it more than once, which means Dragon Sorc, I suppose a warlord would take their one feat just for a nova round. Some Defenders would take Dragon Fear I suppose, but this is about on par overall, making it Good for everyone at worst.

And seriously, rating at-will Flight anything but gold is absurd, the surge value bonus is pitiful unless you're specifically optimizing your surge value as a Runepriest/Artificer mix.

I am not a huge Charoper, but why would Arcane Blood be better for non-weapon-primary characters versus weapon-primary?  Doesn't a Swordmage want to do damage too?  It is just a straight up bonus to arcane attack damage, all the time.  I would think that beats the heck out of a +1 to attack when bloodied.  I don't see where whether or not it is an implement versus a weapon attack factors in here.
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!
Dragonborn Swordmage, not the best idea.

I am not a huge Charoper, but why would Arcane Blood be better for non-weapon-primary characters versus weapon-primary?  Doesn't a Swordmage want to do damage too?  It is just a straight up bonus to arcane attack damage, all the time.  I would think that beats the heck out of a +1 to attack when bloodied.  I don't see where whether or not it is an implement versus a weapon attack factors in here.

I was going to defend Zathris by saying that weapon users can easily get +2/3/4 feat bonus to damage rolls, and that won't stack with the +1/2/3 from Arcane Blood.  But then I went to check, and the Arcane Blood bonus is racial, not feat.  Thus, it would stack with whatever feat bonuses you're already receiving, including the weapon +2/3/4 ones.  So... I dunno!
Dragonborn Swordmage, not the best idea.

Why, it is typically rated black for Swordmage, and at least gets a bonus to either of the secondary stats.  Having a little boost to damage isn't a terrible thing.  I was just using the Swordmage as an example, the other weapon using Arcane classes would be better off with this than a conditional +1 to attack.
Because you'll have to pick between Bozak and Kapak, and Toxic Saliva + either slightly more often CA/+1 hit while bloodied > Dragon Breath and +1 damage/tier.

Toxic Saliva and Arcane Blood are mutually exclusive.
Because you'll have to pick between Bozak and Kapak, and Toxic Saliva + either slightly more often CA/+1 hit while bloodied > Dragon Breath and +1 damage/tier.

Toxic Saliva and Arcane Blood are mutually exclusive.

Ahhh, now I see what you were getting at.  That makes a lot more sense now.  Thanks for clearing that up.
Kinda cool how you can get either Implement Focus+ or Vicious Advantage+ as a racial.  Hope this gets patched into the builder soon, just for the fun of doing a Bozo err Bozak rebreather.
Just add 1/2/3 to your damage...

...why is there a feat to increase the Instinctive Flight altitude limit to 2 when they have to land anyway and the altitude limit was already pointless?
Did I miss a rules update on flight somewhere?
Just add 1/2/3 to your damage...

I know, but it'd be nice to not have to do the work myself.  Yay laziness!Tongue Out