Big Black Beatsticks

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have always wanted to have a deck featuring Phylactery Lich, so here's my attempt at it:

Thoughts and opinions?
Why are you playing Avacyn's Collar if you have no humans for the bonus? If it's just for cheap artifacts, there are some better options. Prophetic Prism is an okay artifact to throw away to trading post and get back in order to draw more cards.
I think a vigilant indestructible beater is pretty sweet, and the combo with Grimgrin is just stupid.
Given the rarity of artifact removal, I think the deck has some potential. Are there no other suggestions?
Side more on control and run Pikes. A lot better than collar in my opinion. Plus it pairs well with nighthawk.
I think you might only need 6-8 artifacts for 4 Liches. If you need more I would place more emphasis on artifacts that do stuff without the need of creatures. Like Pithing Needle, or Keyrunes, or lens. Otherwise you will endup with dead cards that can't stick to anyone, when you could use some removal or ramp.
I think a vigilant indestructible beater is pretty sweet, and the combo with Grimgrin is just stupid.

Just to check, you aren't counting on sacrificing your indestructible liches to Grimgrin and having the lich stay on the field because they are indestructible, are you?

Because that totally doesn't work.
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.

Just to check, you aren't counting on sacrificing your indestructible liches to Grimgrin and having the lich stay on the field because they are indestructible, are you?

Because that totally doesn't work.

I understand indestructible; but putting a Collar on Grimgrin means that I don't have to constantly sacrifice creatures to untap him. Bloodline Keeper poops out tokens as sacrificial fodder for Grimgrin, if necessary, but if he's vigilant I can use the tokens to transform the Keeper.
Alright, that's cool. I just didn't know what the "combo" thing was. If you just meant vigilance, then yeah.
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
Vigilant Grimgrin is a combo... and a nasty one at that!
Also, the point of running 12 artifacts at 2cmc or less is to guarantee the Lich comes into play, as well as providing card-draw fodder for the Trading Post. The artifacts are all useful, either providing vigilance, counters, or double damage (which is sweet with an indestructible creature). The potential to regenerate Grimgrin is just gravy.
Stuffy doll could be fun as a 2 of in the deck lol. Makes a great blocker, just remember to work around azorius charm when you go against W/U.
So I have to lower the curve a bit if I'm going to be able to pay these equip costs and the Trading Post cost. Bloodline Keepers are out, and I need some cheap creatures or removal (2cmc or less, preferably) in their place. Any ideas?
Just a few i saw on the gatherer, haunted guardian(great with trading post if you draw it late game),  alchemist's apprentice, black cat, butcher ghoul, crypt creeper, fog bank, gloom surgeon, grim roustabout, knight of infamy, pack rat(would work with trading post), ravenous rats, typhoid rats, dimir charm, devour flesh, downpour, rapid hybridization, ultimate price and unsummon.

Hope you find a good replacement XD
Haunted Guardian looks great, is an artifact, and first strike goes great with the Flail. I like it a lot!
I second the Stuffy Doll suggestion. 

An indestructible artifact with a phylactery counter means your lich isn't going anywhere soon...
So I have to re-evaluate this list now. With Bloodline Keeper gone, Grimgrin is reliant on the collar alone, so he has to go as well. With Grimgrin gone, the Collar is much less impressive, so it goes as well.

With my 5-slot now open, I can add 3 Stuffy Dolls to the deck. Inquisitor's Flail is looking really good now!

Grimgrin's exit also means that I'm completely mono-black at the moment and am open to splash another color. What would be the best option here? Either white or red feel right to me, though I couldn't say why. Rakdos could lend some aggression but Orzhov could help me stabilize.

Here's where I'm at right now:

There are still 13 slots open if I run 24 land. Where do I go from here?
I think making some room for Restoration Angel will give you some more counters everywhere.
If you go white you should use faith's shield which will protect your liche and doll from bounce and the o-ring effects. I like the idea of resto angel too because she can flicker the liche, which helps against the few things that can get rid of it and it produces another counter for you like scruffee stated. Ofc it doesn't hurt to swing with an evasive creature with a flail on it lol.
I really think I need to keep the remainder of the spells at 3cmc or less, with most falling into the 2cmc slot. On T4 I want to start equipping stuff and will need to funnel my mana that way. Also I will need to pay re-equip costs in the event of disruption or just by having better options to equip to. I will address the other concerns, like O-Ring effects and such, in the sideboard.
If this deck goes anywhere, it needs to be called BBC. :3
Elbrus, the Binding Blade | Crypt Ghast | Essence Harvest | Griselbrand

Just throwing out some obvious power black cards
I think the deck would be better of with green as a splash because you then you have access to farseek and abrupt decay. If you have all the duals for it i would even consider going Jund to give you access to dreadbore and other fun stuff like magmaquake and rolling temblor.
I'm really considering Gift of Orzhova for this deck. It's pretty sexy on my indestructibles, and at worst it makes Haunted Guardian a 3-power flying first-striking blocker with lifelink. The best part is that I don't even have to splash white to include it.

I'm thinking that three copies would be enough. Thoughts on this card?
Here's another try at a complete decklist:

Treacherous Pit-Dweller is pretty nasty, and I have plenty of ways to get around the drawback. The Ring of Xathrid puts counters on it so the undying doesn't trigger, and Cremate can exile it before it re-enters the battlefield. This is the deck that I am going to playtest before I go any further with the concept.

Thoughts on this list?
I must add that I decided to forego removal in order to focus on the beatdown. There is no sideboard yet, since this is untested, so I'm sure the removal package will be found there eventually. I really want this list to work... it looks so good from a Theory-crafting perspective!
I think you'd be better served using vampire nighthawk instead of the pit dweller. Having him against aggro is a lot better then the dweller because you might not always have to things you need to make it not go to your opponents side.
If the Pit-Dweller somehow manages to see play on the other side of the table, I can sacrifice goats to it! I am going to test it, I think there is some potential for the card in a beatdown list.
Since I can make goats, I am going to run Altar's Reap instead of Cremate. I now have 12 ways to deal with Pit-Dweller (Altar's Reap, Ring of Xathrid, and Trading Post).