R/G Werewolf Planeswalker

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I decided to try my hand at making a Werewolf planeswalker, and I'd like your guys' thoughts on it.

Lhikan, Hermit of Kessig -
Planeswalker - Lhikan
+1: Put a 2/2 red and green Wolf creature token with haste onto the battlefield.
-2: Regenerate target creature you control. That creature fights another target creature.
    At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, you may transform Lhikan, Hermit of Kessig. Any effect that would transform a Human Werewolf may transform him.

☾Lhikan, Harbinger of the Pack
Planeswalker -  Lhikan
-1: Search your library for two creature cards and reveal them. If you reveal two cards with different names, choose one of them at random and put that card into your hand. Shuffle the other into your library.
-5: You get an emblem with "Whenever you cast a creature spell from your hand, you may search your library for a creature that costs equal or less and cast it without paying its mana cost put it onto the battlefield. If you do, shuffle your library."
    At the beginning of each upkeep, if two or more spells were cast last turn, you may transform Lhikan, Harbinger of the Pack.

Notes: Next update on the card I do, I'm removing the reminder text on his -2 ability. I also noticed a spacing issue on his Moon-side transform ability, I'll get that fixed too.

Flavor/Explanations
His Transform abilities show that he has a bit more control than the other Werewolves of Innistrad, because of the power his Planeswalker spark has granted him. He has enough control to stay in the same form, but he doesn't have enough control to change at will (which would effectively make his design no different than a four-ability planeswalker anyways).
As a hermit, he lives in the wilderness away from society, so his abilities on that side are geared towards benefitting any creature-based deck, gaining animal companions and helping them hunt down anything that would pose a threat to his allies' well being.
Since a harbinger is "one that presages or foreshadows what is to come", his focus on his transformed side is mostly geared towards getting the creatures you want from your deck and putting them onto the battlefield.

Getting him to flip early on is difficult to do (especially outside of Werewolf tribal), so I decided making his emblem have a lower cost was a fair enough trade off. You don't want him to die when you get his emblem out, though, since his -1 ability is better used with the emblem than without.

All comments and constructive criticism are completely welcome.
That is a really cool Planeswalker, although as always I encourage a text version to be posted with all renders.

The plus 1 ability feels a little done with Garruk and Huntmaster though... and giving the wolves haste feels too powerful. The emblem also feels really weird because it means any creature you cast will transform all your werewolf wolves into werewolf humans. 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I came up with a new idea for the Hermit's +1 ability:
Put a 2/2 red and green Human Werewolf creature token with “If this creature would transform or at the beginning of each upkeep if no spells were cast last turn, this token becomes a 3/3 Werewolf creature with intimidate.” onto the battlefield.

Does it seem more balanced than a 2/2 red Wolf with Haste? Are there any other keywords that would fit into the Intimidate slot much better (I tried to make it have more colors so its intimidate wouldn't be overpowered)?
I think a werewolf 'walker should have more interactions with werewolf tribal. Right now it seems like Lhikan is just a bunch of :R::G: cards stapled together with little flavor involved.

IMO the most powerful werewolf legend/planeswalker should be able to 'manipulate' the moonrise, i.e. transform it and all other werewolves on command. Here are some different ideas (NOT meant to exist side-by-side):

HUMAN:"0: Transform Lhikan and all Humans you control. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to Lhikan until your next turn."
HUMAN:"+2: Transform Lhikan or target Werewolf you control. If a creature was transformed this way, it gains haste. Regenerate it."
HUMAN:"-1: Transform Lhikan and all Humans you control. You get an emblem with, "Humans you control enter the battlefield transformed and non-Human creatures you control cannot transform." This one is my favorite. It has a very 'ultimate' feeling to it but its not going to win the game outright. The flipped side should not have any ability to transform Lhikan back and should only have 'minus' abilities to dissuade the player from immediately activating the transform ability.

Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
I think a werewolf 'walker should have more interactions with werewolf tribal. Right now it seems like Lhikan is just a bunch of :R::G: cards stapled together with little flavor involved.

But he's a hermit... 

And besides, Planeswalkers are sort of beyond race, unless they're explicitly racist, like Nissa Revane, or obsessed, like Sarkhan Vol. There's no good flavor reason presented here for this character to have a tribally-focused card.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.