3/10/2013 Feature: "You Make The Card 4"

248 posts / 0 new
Last post
For discussion over the first article for You Make The Card #4.
Editor-in-Chief of DailyMTG.com @trickmtg Email Me
Let's go land!  Let's create a good, tournament-worthy dual land, and have them print it at uncommon!  Arise, my proletariate friends, and let us bring magic to the masses!
You guys don't trust us to make a Planeswalker? ;_;

I picked land even though it clearly has the least flexibility and design space, because lands are the coolest card type and we haven't had a YMTC land yet.  
Creature.

Why something so boring? Because this.

Elder Dragon of the Highlands
Legendary Creature -- Dragon
Flying
At the beginning of the game, if Elder Dragon of the Highlands is in the command zone, it becomes the color identity of your choice until the end of the game.
The legend Rule does not apply.
5/5

Because sometimes I just want a commander to be a commander with some colors attached.

-Glyn
Come on guys, we need to make Fblthp!!
I think land would be the most fun seeing if we can make the next dual (or even tri) land. I mean so far it seems they're going to default to the "ETB tapped unless you control C or D" in core sets. I'd rather see something different than that myself. Let's give it a go!
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
I also chose land and find it interesting to see some early support from land already.
Also, HOLY CRAP IT'S BACK!
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Well, we have already made 3 of the 5 categories, so we're down to enchantment and land. I personally voted land. Maybe something like ^TAP^ Pay 5 life, sac ^CARD NAME^: Search for a basic land and a land that has one of the basic land types, and put them onto the battlefield.
Current design in magic seems to favor Creatueres/Atrifacts/Permanents in general. I think it's time for the community to press for an Instant/Sorcery spell. Majority of magic players seem to resonate with izzet which is the instant/Socery guild. While the spell doesn't necessarily need to be izzet colors a good instant/sorcery could be appreciated by the whole community. 
I would like an enchantment card. It is the least represented card type in limited and in most constructed tournaments.
HOT DIGGETY ANOTHER YMTC!

Okay, got that out of my system. Now.

The way I see it, if we're going to make something awesome as a group, as many people as possible should be able to enjoy it. That means an artifact or a colorless land (or artifact creature, but that doesn't seem to be an option, unfortunately). Since we've already done an artifact ("we" in the loose sense, at least, wince I at least was not around for the others), I'm leaning toward a land, but it will be a lot more difficult to make something awesome out of it. Artifacts just tend to be awesome more than lands do.
Rules Nut Advisor
Legendary Land

when "Legendary Land " becomes tapped for mana remove it from the game at the begining of your end step.

Tap: add one mana of any color to your mana pool or add 2 colorless

if the mana produced by "Legendary Land" was white  exile target creature.
if the mana produced by "Legendary Land" was black  each player discards two cards
if the mana produced by "Legendary Land" was blue   target player draws a card
if the mana produced by "Legendary Land" was red     "Legendary Land" deals 2 damage to target creature or player
if the mana produced by "Legendary Land" was Green  put two +1 +1 counters on target creature

Or something along these lines.
Lands are cool but very narrow. We have enough cool lands already.

I vote Instant/Sorcery. Because everyone loves those and I think they have the most potential to be interesting.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Pretty excited. I'd like to go land as well at this stage.

s long as we don't add 'locus' to it I think we'll be OK. 
I picked Land as well, though if it goes for Creature I'm absolutely on the "let's make Fblthp" bandwagon.
If nobody I know can pronounce the relatively straightforward Obzedat then I'm not certain they want a card called Fblthp.
It was very close between Land and Enchantment for me, but in the end I chose enchantment.

Because of
I would like an enchantment card. It is the least represented card type in limited and in most constructed tournaments.

and because I think lands have the greatest risk of ending up being boring cards, since their uncounterability and very-difficult-to-kill-ability (now that land destruction is officially dead) make their development a very "lets be safe" process.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

I agree with this sentiment. There are plenty of cool lands and also seems less interesting to make. With an enchantment, anything is possible.

Although, I'd be down for Fblthp if that's how the vote goes.

So, just one question about this, what's to stop someone from writing a program to vote like 10 million times? or just hiring some friends to sit at the computer all day and click vote as many times as they can before their thumbs fall off?
Nothing I'm sure, besides a 1 vote per IP address restriction.

There isn't a cash prize involved or anything....its supposed to get the community involved.  

If some nerd REALLY wants an artifact or whatever so bad as to waste an entire week voting over and over again, them hell.....let 'em.  Its obviously the only thing they have going in their pathetic life.  
Let's go land!  Let's create a good, tournament-worthy dual land, and have them print it at uncommon!  Arise, my proletariate friends, and let us bring magic to the masses!

While I agree with your ideals, my brother, the fact remains that there's no way Wizards will let us create a tournament-quality dual and then set the rarity to uncommon.  Despite being called You Make the Card, Wizards with their editorial power exercises way more control over the process than is readily apparent.  If I remember correctly from the last YMTCs (though I admit it was a long time ago), the rarity gets set way before the abilities do: pick rare and they'll let you make a good dual, but pick uncommon and they won't.

Personally, I'm voting for Enchantment.  Lands are just too boring, and most of the ideas submitted will be so broken you wouldn't be able to fix them with a time machine.
Lands are just too boring, and most of the ideas submitted will be so broken you wouldn't be able to fix them with a time machine.

I mostly agree with you, but that's WHY I voted land.
When we have a say in what gets created we feel more invested and less "Oh this is boring".
Personally, though a variety of dual lands would be nice, some cycle of Trilands I think would be best. Or some out of the blue random land idea.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Current design in magic seems to favor Creatueres/Atrifacts/Permanents in general. I think it's time for the community to press for an Instant/Sorcery spell....While the spell doesn't necessarily need to be izzet colors a good instant/sorcery could be appreciated by the whole community.

One of the desiners said that they have been trying to get Magic "out of the hand & onto the tabletops".  Thus, more permanents.

Instants & Sorcs tend to have colors, which will only be "appreciated" by the players who favor those colors.  That is why I predict (& encourage) people to vote Land or Artifact.  If we got "Community Design a Card" for every set that came out from now on, then yea, colored instants would be great.

I love small creatures and utility creatures. Creatures are what you use to win the game. Everything else is supposed to support them in their efforts. So I think that's the best place to start. But that dream can be realized with any type.

For example, Celestial Colonnade is a cool card. It's a land that can attack you, and then be used to cast spells (even mid-attack!). Also, its cycle gets a big thumbs up from me because it shows the transformation of the land into a creature fantastically.
I went with Artifact so as to have it be an option for all decks.
I agree with the sentiment that everyone should be able to use the card and therefore land or artifact is the better choice.
But when that is said, there is no way in hell wizards is gonna let us make a card everyone wants/needs.
The risk of making a bonkers land or artifact is too big, so I think enchantment is the better option, because of the bigger design space when wizards aren't restraining us as much.

Also a constructed playable aura or a cool combo piece world enchantment would be awesome.
If we really want to maybe we can push for colorless.
Land Brainstorm:
To make this once-in-few-years opportunity benefit all players, I'd like to suggest some way to make mana for any deck.  We can't reprint Exotic Orchard, but we can do a semi-functional clone of it.  Just like Exotic Orchard has limits (only opponents, & they must have deployed land to use, it may 2+ turns to be useful to you), so should this card.  It is very powerful, but still not too crazy for drafts & 1-on-1 tournaments (may end up be {T}: add {1} mana).  So please keep in mind the Land must be flexible but have disadvantages.

Mythic:

{T, target permanent}: Add to your mana pool one mana of the mana cost of the targeted permanent.

Strengths: You can target any card on the battlefield, aside from lands.  Sightly better than Exotic Orchard: you may target your own cards vs EO's opponents-only (thus Mythic & not Rare), & sometimes you'll find split mana cards in play (eg Boros Reckoner in a mono-red deck).
Weaknesses: There must be a permanent in play, so this card may hinder fast starts.  If early plays are only colorless artifacts, then you can only tap for {1}.  Also, if your opponent wanted to mana-screw you, (s)he may make the targeted permanent disappear before it resolves, so there will be nothing to read for the ability.
Weakness-strength: If you think an opponent wants to mana-screw you, target his/her permanent.  Would be interesting to force a self-sac...

Rare:

{T, target permanent you control}: Add to your mana pool one mana of the mana cost of the targeted permanent.
or
{T, target permanent an opponent controls}: Add to your mana pool one mana of the mana cost of the targeted permanent.
 or
{T, target creature}: Add to your mana pool one mana of the mana cost of the targeted permanent.

Weakness: Slightly more restrictive targeting, thus Rare & not Mythic.  Not so good for splash colors if you expect to target yourself.  Otherwise, see notes above.

Uncommon:

{T, reveal a card in your hand}: Add to your mana pool one mana of the mana cost of the revealed card to cast the same revealed card.

Strengths: Ensures you have the mana to get your spells cast.  Perfect to ensure fast decks (almost) always go off.
Weaknesses: Can not use for activated abilities, kicker costs, etc.
Possible added weaknesses to keep at Uncommon: Comes into play tapped, or limit usage to permanents only or instants|sorceries only.

Uncommon:

[Card name] comes into play tapped.

{T}: Add to your mana pool one mana of any permanent you can produce.

Strengths: Ensures you have the mana to get your CC, CCC, CCCC spells cast.  If you have a nonland mana producer that produces mana that a your lands can not produce (eg a Keyrune), then you can keep it untapped.  Uncommon mana fixing better for drafting & casual decks.
Weaknesses: You must have existing mana producers in play; poor for fast starts.
Want to remove CiPT?  Rase to Rare, or limit useage to permanents only or instants|sorceries only.

Rare:

Imprint - When Chrome Mox (edited)
Strengths: Ensures you have the mana to get your spells cast if you have this in your opening hand.  Good for 2 color decks that have alot of CC or CCC costs & you end up with the wrong lands in your hand.  Best if you have many multi-colored cards in your deck.
Weaknesses: 2-for-1 card cost, awful for splashes.

Legendary Mythic:

Imprint - When [card name] enters the battlefield, target a player and look a their hand.  You may exile a nonland card target player's hand.

{1}{T}: Add to your mana pool one mana of the mana cost of the exiled card.

When [card name] leaves the battlefield, then return the exiled card to owner's hand.

Strengths: Get a card out of an opponant's hand, or ensure you have the mana you need, or even protect a card in hand from discard.
Weaknesses: There must be a card in hand.  If you target an opponent, you might not get the mana you need.  Legendary keeps you from having more than 1 in play.  Also may force all players to run a few, if not just to counter other exiles.  Filter-land, not generating.
Weakness-strength: Opponents may play instant/flash cards to prevent imprinting.

cheers

I'd like to see artifact, but mainly so that something different can be done than the kind of things that have been done before. Here's what I'm talking about:

www.magicdeckvortex.com/forum/content.ph...

TLDR: Create artifacts that represent actual magic weapons that can be used by the planeswalker - i.e. YOU! 
The only You Make The Card I ever got to vote in was the first one (because I took a hiatus from Magic during the time period the other two happened). So I avoided picking Creature. In fact, I picked Instant/Sorcery. Although I have a feeling I should've come here first, because if everybody who has voted so far has also posted, then it looks like lands are going to win. Yeah, okay, technically there's a whole week for things to change, but other polls that I end up missing the day they're released tend to never get a vote from me, so I'm assuming it'll be the same with this one: the key votes will come in today, with a few stragglers over the rest of teh week. Unless they pin this to the DMTG page.

Off-topic: Is it bad that every time I see "Daily MTG" I read it as "Daily Mitigation"?

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

I chose creature. Time to make red's 2-drop!

2/1 Haste When it enters the battlefield it deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

Let's make it happen!
As usual, I will only vote Enchantment. It's enchantment's turn to have something amazing.
Voted land. I'd like to see another manland.
As usual, I will only vote Enchantment. It's enchantment's turn to have something amazing.

This is largely my thought as well. In particular, I'm hoping for a creature aura. We've had some mind-numbingly good equipment cards, but creature auras seem to be stuck at a lower quality level despite the (overall) higher risks of using them. It's time to see how far we can push creature auras, or at least have a discussion of why we can't.
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
People want to make a new dual land, really? Booooooring. 

I voted for enchantment. I want to see some "never-before-seen out-there" wacky effect. 
Its got to be Enchantment this time

This is largely my thought as well. In particular, I'm hoping for a creature aura. We've had some mind-numbingly good equipment cards, but creature auras seem to be stuck at a lower quality level despite the (overall) higher risks of using them. It's time to see how far we can push creature auras, or at least have a discussion of why we can't.

Agree, though not necessarily an aura.  There aren't a great deal of powerful enchantments out there, and having one that can pillar a deck could shake up the creature-combat-heavy  environment in a good way.
I also voted enchantment. The only playable enchantments right now (not including creature auras) our reactions to the meta, things like Blind Obedience or Rest in Peace. A reasonably-costed enchantment  would be swell.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

It's between artifact and instant for me. Enchantments tend to be unplayable, creatures are boring, lands are really boring because they rarely do anything unusual other than make mana. Artifacts are versatile and instants/sorceries tend to be very unusual (see the last YMTC instant).

I went artifact because Crucible of Worlds is awesome.
I voted for land. I'd love to see something like this:

Land

[Card Name] comes into play as a basic land of your choice.

Just a thought: a land with first ability being a 'chromatic lantern' effect, then white tap:put a 1/1 human soldier in play, black tap:target player loses 1 life and you gain one life, green tap:gain 3 life, red tap: YMTC land does 2 damage to target creature or player, blue tap:unsummon target creature.  All pretty weak, but I've put about 5 seconds of thought into this.

We could do this as an enchantment but we'd have to bump up activation costs, and I can't think of a cool artifact name, so I voted land, with the idea that if it does something for all five colors it could have 'nexus' or 'maelstrom' in its name...  First choice land, second choice enchantment (agree that an aura would be too weak), also creature, artifact and instant/sorcery have already been done.

For those who say that lands do nothing but create mana, have you ever lost to (or seen someone win with) drownyard, or been run over by a kessig wolf run pumped mana dork?  Personally, man lands won me a match or two.  And none of these ideas utilized the collective brainpower of the magic community as a whole to create them, so how awesome would our land wind up being?  

I'd want to see a land that eats things, and comes alive in strange ways.

NAME --
Land (R)

:T:: Add to your mana pool.
:BM::BM:, :T:, Sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature then put a +1/+1 counter on NAME.
As long as NAME has a +1/+1 counter on it, it is a 3/3 creature in addition to its other types.
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Sign In to post comments