OFFICIAL You Make The Card 4

87 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

Something this forum might be interested in.

The fourth "You Make The Card" event is happening, where we, the Magic-playing community, come together to make a card.
It's gonna be sweet.

Part 1, we need to vote on a card type.
What do you think?     
Excellent...

I like enchantments, but I already regret that vote because I want to make a sorcery that involves piles. 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
gadzooks
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
i went for land 
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
It seems likely that Creature will win. People like creatures. I'm goin' Instant/Sorcery because a lot of designers have trouble with those. I'm sorta psyched. I'd be excited if anyone from the forum won, but especially if it were me.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Voted for Lands.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I'm really scared land is going to win, because I hate designing lands. Also I don't think that R&D is going to let us get away with making something broken, which leaves probably boring.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
There are two types that I don't hope seeing:
Artifact - my life is all about edh. I don't like them as they lack color identity. If an artifact as powerful as cruicible got created, i don't like the idea of them showing up every other deck.

Instant/sorcery - they are tough to design. Probably best not to be left at the community hands. And most of the time, their interactions/answers lies with counterspells.... 

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Voted for Instant/Sorcery.

Instant/sorcery - they are tough to design. Probably best not to be left at the community hands. And most of the time, their interactions/answers lies with counterspells.... 

I think we can braintrust a decent instant/sorcery with our combined intellects.  One that isn't stupidly absurd, but also not mundane.
Voted for Instant/Sorcery.

I think we can braintrust a decent instant/sorcery with our combined intellects.  One that isn't stupidly absurd, but also not mundane.

Yeah, but we count for at maximum a quarter of a percentile of votes. 
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
I'd be down for Lands.

I like the descriptions of the types. Like, if you don't know what a creature is, what are you doing here?

"These spells summon magical monsters or people who battle on your behalf."

This would also be awesome flavour text. Possibly attributed to Nicol Bolas. 

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Voted enchantment.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
I really think lands are the way to go. Lands are way more important than they're given credit for - look at Inkmoth Nexus, Kessig Wolf Run and Gavony Township. Lands are more than just mana producers, they're also the most resilient threats in the game, and I think we should make one.
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
Land as well.
I voted for land as well.  I'm glad to see forumgoers supporting it, since I'd love to see a really cool land come out.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Land for me also. I didn't participate in the last three, so this should be fun to watch unfold.
I voted for a creature, since I'm more of an aggro guy myself.

It seems like Land will win by a... *sunglasses*... landslide.
Voted instant/sorcery. Da police.

Only if YMtCers are a representative sample of everybody who reads front-page articles, which seems unlikely.

Incidentally I voted land as well.  >.>

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

I voted for a creature, since I'm more of an aggro guy myself.

I voted for creature. They have the most design space of any type, and most lands have to be so carefully balanced that only people with a strong Melvin streak can have fun designing them.
Voted enchantment.

I did as well.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I really think a vote for land is gonna be harder to produce a good result than the other types. Lands are just way harder to make interesting. Creature has the most design space, but the Johnny in me wants an Artifact, Enchantment, or Sorcery.

Enchantment it is! 
I agree, and am completely aware that this won't play out like a big ol' YMtC contest, but I can hope.
We got a creature, an artifact and an instant already. So, it was pretty much enchantment or land for me. I went with enchantment.

Btw, what happened to BCP? 
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
I think I'll go with lands. They are more often than not utility cards as opposed to splashy bombs, and if I'm lucky, maybe I can push through my Waterfall concept. That would be amazing. Lands are also often playable in all colors, and I really hope we don't make a colorfixer.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Why lands? So boring. I voted for instant/sorcery.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
I voted for land, but I kind of wish I had voted for enchantment.
There's no way you get enchantment anyway, and I don't want to spend my time trying to make a playable aura.

Yxoque wrote:

Enchantment.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
I chose instant/sorcery only because, if it wins, I want to make an Instant//Sorcery split card.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Land all the way.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
I think we're due for a land. 
We got a creature, an artifact and an instant already. So, it was pretty much enchantment or land for me. I went with enchantment.

1. It's a lot of work to organize.
2. It's a lot of work to run.
3. It takes a long time to build sets as a community, so even when positive results are produced, there's just so much time where things can fall in the cracks. Every time I've been involved in a leadership role, real life has gotten in the way.

That said... we should totally do another one. The last two incomplete ones were shaping up awesomely and I'm sad they never got where they needed to go.
Artifact

3. It takes a long time to build sets as a community, so even when positive results are produced, there's just so much time where things can fall in the cracks. Every time I've been involved in a leadership role, real life has gotten in the way.

That said... we should totally do another one. The last two incomplete ones were shaping up awesomely and I'm sad they never got where they needed to go.

Just say the word.
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me

Just say the word.

I recently had a fantastic idea for a concept set that would be really fun to work on as a community. We have 224 creature types now, and that's almost exactly the number of nonbasic cards in a large set... Just throwing that out there.

Just say the word.

I recently had a fantastic idea for a concept set that would be really fun to work on as a community. We have 224 creature types now, and that's almost exactly the number of nonbasic cards in a large set... Just throwing that out there.

Ha, ha ha, ha ha. Ha ha, ha ha HA HA HA. Do it NOW. I hope it involves some sort of arc thing or something of that sort.

Very few of them work as standalone, so you'd need a really, really strange setting to pull it off.

Yxoque wrote:

Just say the word.

Ha, ha ha, ha ha. Ha ha, ha ha HA HA HA. Do it NOW. I hope it involves some sort of arc thing or something of that sort.

I haven't thought that far ahead. I'm still in the process of figuring out how to divvy up the types between the colours and make sure that each gets an equal number. Although I'm sure it would be much easier problem with a whole team working on it. ;)
omg i can see another legion coming up

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]