Seeking ONLINE 4th Ed players

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
I will be starting a 4th Ed D&D group this Wednesday, March 14, 2013 at 8:00pm Central Time.   (I'm open to Essentials if potential players would prefer that... i have those books as well).  Players will need only 1 webcam.  We will be using Google+ for group video chat.  (it's free, just sign up, and contact me with your username).  We will use Skype (also free, just send me your skype username).  Skype will be used for players to view the battle map as we play. I am a new DM, though I have played D&D, it's going to be a sharp learning curve. 
I have 4e DM Manual, Player's Manual, and Monster Manual to start.  I will run a prepublished campain 1st to get used to DM'ing, then I plan to create some of my own.  If any seasoned players join and want to help out,(advice, knowledge, etc.), I"m happy to benefit from your experience!  The goal here is to work out an enjoyable online experience without players having to buy software, etc.   I'd prefer to have adult 18+ players.  I'm 49 years old, with a faily wicked sense of humor.  If you're easily offended by language this may not be the group for you.  (not that I'm constantly cussing, but it's gonna happen now and then Smile  ).  
Please contact me if you're interested.  Please be prepared to be patient with a new DM, but I don't think it will take long to get up to speed and make the game fun.  I'm a pretty easy going guy. 
Unless we've pickedup up a full group by Wednesday I will likely start with a game of Wrath of Ashardalon, (group can decide).  I know, it's NOT D&D, but it's interesting and it'd let us get to know each other until we have a full group.  I'll also be tweaking the skype/google+ to make sure it's going to be a good experience for the group, though I have experimented some and it seems to be great.    
So, if you're interested please contact me at: blake@fatchihuahua.com 4 7 9 * 6 5 0 * 3 4 8 1    Thanks 
I just got the 4e core books I do not have a web cam yet but after I move into my new house i should be able to play. I'm very new to the game. I was going to try an run a homebrew game for my family but I think i should play a few games first so my lack of knowledge dose not ruin the game for them
I would love to join your campaign,  I would play as either a dwarven cleric or a human fighter.  I would also suggest looking at VTTs like roll20 or maptools.  
What will the induveduale player need beside a google account
Will we need dice or just our own character sheet
What will the induveduale player need beside a google account
Will we need dice or just our own character sheet

Really all you'll need is a webcam, a free skype account and a free google+ account.  If you want to buy a 4th Ed Players Guide that is up to you.  It's nice to have but not required.  I have the book and will be glad to reference it for you.  As far as dice go, you don't need them, but most players like to have em.  They're cheap.  You can also get polyhedral dice apps for smartphones.  But I have lots and will be glad to roll for you.   Also the map software I plan to use has a dice feature we can use.  You may be able to download character sheets for 4th Ed from wizards.com, but if you can't just let me know and I'll email you a pdf. 
Also, I have D&D Insider so we can use the character generator if you want to call or skype me to do that.   
I would love to join your campaign,  I would play as either a dwarven cleric or a human fighter.  I would also suggest looking at VTTs like roll20 or maptools.  

Great RG, (does the "firefly" mean you're a brown coat?)  we'd love to have you.  I've looked at MapTools in the past and had a little trouble getting up and running on it so I gave up.  I was unaware of Roll20, and what i see of it I really like.  I was planning to use Battle Map 2 on my iPad.  I can leave a camera on the iPad and control it with my iPhone.  It's really simple to use so I'm going to give it a go first then explore other options later.  I may even go with tabletop dungeon tiles and/or grid paper.  Just whatever lends itself best to the game.  I'm hoping you're a pretty experienced player; we could really use it.  I've played but long ago, and I've never DM'd.  If you are knowledgeable and cool with dispensing advice while I'm getting up to speed then don't hesitate. 
I should be able to sit up every thing in the next few days if all goes good. I would like to play a Human Rogue
I should be able to sit up every thing in the next few days if all goes good. I would like to play a Human Rogue

Great.  Hopefully we can count you in for Wednesday then?  I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that you can skype in without a cam and see the battle mat.  That would be enough to play right there.  You may also be able to google+ in without a cam and see me and other players.  Let me know if you want to try it out.  If you can make it Wednesday, which is better for you, 7p or 8p?
Is the group full yet?  I am interested in joining the group and can set up most programs by Wednesday with easy. As for character, I typically play support like characters and would be willing to make one if needed.  Only concern I have is how much time do you expect to invest in a play session. Since you are running the game during the week, late hours can be a concern for me. Figure best to ask before I commit.

I would also suggest looking at VTTs like roll20 or maptools.  

I have found that Roll20 along with either Google+ Hangout (Voice and Video) or Skype (Voice Only) are the most stable for VTT games.

app.roll20.net/home/
plus.google.com/hangouts
www.skype.com/en/

I have used MapTools along with Frameworks, but Roll20 has more of a TT plug and play feel, just as a regular TT game would.

Is a weekend data possible for this?  If we are going to be going into more then 2 hour sessions it would be a lot easier to manage that way.  
I would also suggest looking at VTTs like roll20 or maptools.  

I have found that Roll20 along with either Google+ Hangout (Voice and Video) or Skype (Voice Only) are the most stable for VTT games.

app.roll20.net/home/
plus.google.com/hangouts
www.skype.com/en/

I have used MapTools along with Frameworks, but Roll20 has more of a TT plug and play feel, just as a regular TT game would.

Master_MJ, I'm really liking Roll20 too.  I'm not ready to run on it yet, but it looks like the best way to go in a week or two.   So are you interested in joining the game?  Or just dispensing handy advice?

Hi all.

For right now it looks like Wednesday nights is going to be best for most involved.  I can't do weekends unfortunately.  We were going to have an 8p start time (central time zone) on Wednesdays, but it looks like we could bump that forward to 7p unless it will exclude someone else from playing.  I had planned to run about 2 hours each week, but I'm not averse to longer games.  Most people have limited time for weeknight play though. 

So, that said...

***** Wednesdays from 7 pm-9pm central *****   with gameplay lasting later only if players are interested and/or able.

Right now we appear to have 4 players.  Correct me if I am listing someone who can't play or missing someone who can.

rgfirefly24  (dwarven clericr or human fighter)

RolandTheWise  (human rogue)

ThargarOtherland  (support character)

David Valenzuela  (class preference unknown)

I've spoken to another who may try to join us toward the end of March or early April if his upcoming new schedule will allow him to commit. 

www.wizards.com/dnd/files/quickstartrule...

Since we have a few players new-ish to the game, (and an extremely green DM), I thought we might start an adventure this week with disposable characters.  If you want to roll up a 4th Ed character, you're welcome to.  But if you're not ready to roll one up, use a pre-generated 4e character.  There are several in the above pdf, starting on about page 16.  Just print the one you're intersted in.  If you're new it'd be a great idea to familiarize yourself with the quickstart.    NOTE:  If you pay for D&D Insider on the wizards website you can always use their character builder.  If you want to use that and don't have a membership I'll be glad to get on the phone with you and set it up sometime before game time, if you let me know.

I had planned to use google+ & skype to allow for group chat and view of maps/tokens... but since I was told about Roll20 software I may have to re-think that.  It's a pretty impressive platform.  We'll likely move to Roll20 in a week or two, as soon as I can get comfortable with it.  For any that arent' familiar, it's free and looks pretty sweet. www.roll20.net    For this week if not the next we'll just use google+ hangout and skype. 

Ok, so to get organized... if you're going to play please send me:

*** your name as well as wizards.com username

*** your email address (or cell if you'd rather get texts)

*** your skype ID

*** your google+ ID

We'll start a group email for ironing out details like character class, etc.  I saw that we're not supposed to post email, etc in here, but since I started this thread by doing just that I'm gonna re-post it for convenience. 

blake @ fatchihuahua . com

I think that's all I need to cover for the moment.  At the risk of sounding paranoid, I just want to make sure you guys know that my DM'ing will initially be a whole lot of flipping pages and wtf stuff.  I will always welcome help/coaching to help the game move at an enjoyable pace. 

I unfortunatly can not do a 7pm start time  8pm is the earliest that I can do especially on the weekdays and need to cutoff at about 10pm at the very latest.  So i suppose I will have to respectfully bow out from this week's session.  
I unfortunatly can not do a 7pm start time  8pm is the earliest that I can do especially on the weekdays and need to cutoff at about 10pm at the very latest.  So i suppose I will have to respectfully bow out from this week's session.  

Hi RG.  I have no problem with starting at 8.  I was only bumping it to 7 because another player's timeframe became less restricted.  

I say we start the game at 8p tonight and play until 10.  Tonights mostly about getting into the swing of things.  If anyone wants to log in at 7 and generate characters or whatever, that's fine. 

Providing we can all play, here is what we have: 

*** ThargarOtherland = Human Wizard  (or human cleric)

*** David = Half-Elf Fighter

*** RolandTheWise = Human Rogue

*** rgfirefly = Dwarven Cleric (or human fighter)

Ok, so:  START TIME 8pm.  Anyone is welcome to log on earlier to generate a character or hang out.  

Please reply to let me know if you'll be on tonight.  
Thanks,
Blake       

I'd be interested in joining, but would be completely new to the game and I don't have a webcam. If it's a really needed I'll look into getting one but probably wouldn't be able to get one by tonight.

EDIT: NVM Apparently you guys already started. I saw the 14th up there so thought you meant today Thursday, but I guess you guys meant the 13th of Wednesday. 

IMAGE(http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb126/FearTheLiving-DFG/FearTheLiving.png)

I'm sure it would be fine for you to join, I ended up not being able to make it for the first session due to pure exhaustion, but it was only meant as a warmup.  I believe the actual game will start next week.  What character would you be playing?  
So far (just started reading the 4E player handbook) I'm thinking Figher, Ranger, or Rouge however since I'm pretty new I wouldn't mind playing a different class if the party called for it.

IMAGE(http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb126/FearTheLiving-DFG/FearTheLiving.png)

So far (just started reading the 4E player handbook) I'm thinking Figher, Ranger, or Rouge however since I'm pretty new I wouldn't mind playing a different class if the party called for it.

Hi FearTheLiving,

Yes there is room in the game and you are welcome to join.   We're going for Wednesday at 8. If you want to log on early to generate a character or hang out that is great.  We're going to use Roll20 (roll20.net) for a virtual tabletop and group chat.  

I am okay with it if you want to play without a cam, but I think its nice to be able to see the folks you're playing with.  It won't be mandatory at all but maybe a good idea if you like the group and keep playing.  Your choice.  

Anyway, my email and phone number are in this thread.  You're welcome to contact me anytime.  Please send me your email and I'll make sure to send you the Roll20 link after I log in Wednesday, (probably about 7p).   

Blake

Hey guys. I spoke with Qelryck via email and I'll be joining your group as well. My friends and I played 4e for about a year or so but we havent played in quite a while and I'm looking to get back into it. I'm happy to help anybody with rule questions or character building. It can be daunting if you're just starting out.

From what I can see it sounds like we have about 6 PCs right now, so I think I could pick up just about any role. I was wondering if you guys wanted to organize a forums or group or something to discuss the game, classes, roles, etc. I have my own web server, and I'd be happy to set something up for us if you want. Or we could just put something together over Facebook, Google +, or something similar.
Kabe, that sounds like a great idea. It might help cut down on a lot of the prep time before starting if we have a place to just discuss the how to's of getting together. To less time we have to spend working out the bug of connecting, the sooner we get to the gaming.  Might also be a good place talk about play styles and the like so we all have an idea of what to expect As well.

looking forward to Wednesdays  
Hey Kabe.  I would welcome the idea of a forum on your server.  A place we can meet outside of game is a good idea.  After you mentioned the idea, I found where Roll20 has a "Campaign Discussion" forum on the homepage of our campaign which allows game participants to post so that others in the game are notified of posts.  it looks pretty basic but may be fine.  However if you would like to put it on your server and don't mind keeping it up then yours sounds as good or possibly better.  We can always post the link to our forum on the Campaigh Discussion section theory Rll20 campaign homepage.  

So I have my character drawn up,  although I'm not sure how to show it to others.  I decided to go with a Warforged Barbarian if that's ok. 
Hi all,

Ok this is what we have so far.  Please let me know if I've left you out or mistaken your name or character class.

(Not on chat thread)    David  - Half-Elf Fighter
(ThargarOtherland)     James  - Warforged Barbarian
(rgfirefly)                      Coke   - Human Wizard (or Human Cleric)
(RolandTheWise)        Joseph -  Human Rogue
(KabeDerlin)                  Keith  - (open to any)
(FearTheLiving)         Dominic  - (fighter, ranger, rogue, other)

Six should make up a perfect campaign.  However, if you're not on the list and you'd still like to join in I'd say it's ok.  We can still run fine with 7 PC's, but more than that would be problematic.  We should also consider that one or more may not stay with the game.  So as for this Wednesday if you're interested, please send me your email & google+ username (if you haven't already done so) and you're welcome to join.

Our first campaign is a published one called "Keep on the Shadowfell".  I hope none of you have already played it.  Later I plan to write my own, but for now simplicity, for me, is paramount.

Wednesday we can discuss character class and their dynamics in the group, then adjust PC class accordingly, if necessary.  

I think I mentioned that I plan to log in about 7p on Wednesday and any of you are welcome to log in early too, (my google+ ID is blakey1888), if for no other reason than to meet, iron out details or just hang out before we start.  I do have a D&D Insider account so I can assist with character creation.

***NOTE***
We will use Roll20 & Google+ Hangouts to play.  The two are integrated and I'm told this works much better than Roll20 alone.

I hope to have a friend log soon to help me test connectivity.  When I'm clearer on the matter I'll let you know how you'll need to log in this Wednesday.

***IF ANY OF YOU want to help check out Roll20/Google+ for me, let me know a good time and I'd like to log in to make sure I understand how it's going to work come game time.  If you can/will, call or email to let me know when.

Roll playing is great, as is battle.  It's my hope to run a campaign splitting both, without being too heavy on either.  If you want to RP that's great!  If not, no pressure just have fun and play.  I will try to give unique personalities to the NPC's but it may take a game or two in before I put alot of focus on that.

See y'all Wed.
Blake
Blake

thargar = coke and if no one has chosen cleric yet, then I am going to go with that.  
Blake

thargar = coke and if no one has chosen cleric yet, then I am going to go with that.  

Correction:

(Not on chat thread)    David  - Half-Elf Fighter

(rgfirefly)                   James  - Warforged Barbarian

(ThargarOtherland)      Coke   - Human Cleric

(RolandTheWise)        Joseph -  Human Rogue

(KabeDerlin)                  Keith  - (open to any)

(FearTheLiving)         Dominic  - (fighter, ranger, rogue, other)

looks like we could use a heavy caster if anyone's interested.   
I'll do a Controller. Looks like that's what we need. I've never done a Controller so this should be fun.
I tried to add you on google+ but it couldn't find you.  My google+ is James Bridgeford, you can find me here: plus.google.com/104039074838037636693.  Also how do i find the campaign on roll20 so i can make sure i'm all set to go
I added you James. For anybody else my Google+ link is plus.google.com/106051739688227996961

I also was unable to locate Blake on Google+ but I facebook stalked him and got him there.

Edit: I can still create the forums with no trouble, but since we'll all be using Google+ anyway for the Google Hangout, we might as well just use Google+ to discuss things. I'm a Facebooker (like the rest of the world) so I'm not fully certain how Google+ works, but it looks like the "Community" feature could be utilized for this task.

On the bright side, Google+ isn't blocked at my job while Facebook is. So Google+ gets a point there.