Ravnica shocklands and RtR shocklands

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can someone tell me why the shocklands from the Ravnica block cost more than the shocklands from the Return to Ravnica block? If anything, shouldn't it be the other way around since the Return to Ravnica ones are newer?
Because as time goes on and more people play the game sets are printed in greater and greater quantity. Which means the original Ravnica block shocklands exist in smaller numbers. Rarity combined with utility determines price. Compared to the original printings, the market is flooded with the newer ones.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

What he said, plus the fact that many people prefer to have "the originals", even though they are functionally identical.
In some cases, I actually like the newer art better, like Godless Shrine and maaaaayyyyybe Sacred Foundry...ok just Shrine.
Urza is my Shepherd. Planet Multiverse
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
I'd hate to accidentally walk partially into one.
Random Tolarian wizard's last words. ;)
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.
In some cases, I actually like the newer art better, like Godless Shrine and maaaaayyyyybe Sacred Foundry...ok just Shrine.

I absolutely adore the new Watery Grave, myself. Although Stomping Ground and Temple Garden are just so... Bland.
What he said, plus the fact that many people prefer to have "the originals", even though they are functionally identical.

For me it all comes down to the art.

And the art in RtR/GTC shocks are generally superior to the original Ravnica/Guildpact duals, with like one or two exceptions, in my opinion.
I prefer the term "Rob Alexander" rather than "original" :P

I wonder why they finally let someone else do a dual land and didn't just stick with Rob. I was hoping for new Rob duals in RtR, oh well... the new ones are pretty cool.
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
How cool would it have been to have John Avon do the Shockland reprints...
Urza is my Shepherd. Planet Multiverse
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
I'd hate to accidentally walk partially into one.
Random Tolarian wizard's last words. ;)
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.
Honestly, every single new art looks better to me. And Watery Grave has my favourite Magic land art ever.

I can see people liking the old ones for nostalgia reasons, but the new ones are better drawn. The closest one has to be Blood Crypt for me, I find the new art kinda boring.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I can see people liking the old ones for nostalgia reasons, but the new ones are better drawn.

Not Stomping Ground. Everything is better than the new Stomping Ground. It's just so boring and hideous and cartoonish. But hey, at least it fits the new Gruul then...
Honestly, every single new art looks better to me. And Watery Grave has my favourite Magic land art ever.

I can see people liking the old ones for nostalgia reasons, but the new ones are better drawn. The closest one has to be Blood Crypt for me, I find the new art kinda boring.

Yeah, I agree with you but the old ones aren't just "boring" and the ones aren't really "better drawn", they're more realistic and less fantasy. I see them more as what they would look like in a realistic megatropolis, whereas the new ones are more like what they should look like in a MtG fantasy game.

Also, the old ones are more like an example of a forest/plains (or whatever) in a cityscape environment.  Whereas the new ones are more like fantastic magical guildhouses, which further reinforces the stronger guild feel of RtR as opposed to Rav.
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
Sign In to post comments