Reviving a revenant

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm sorry if this is not the right forum to post, but I'm fairly inexperienced in DM stuff and simply would like an advice or a story to hear.

I'm running modified 'Reclaiming of Blingdenstone' module in DnD Next (based on this), with a party of 4-6 players. Just today our rogue got particularly unlucky with dice rolls, failing one after another sneak, trap sense and dexterity checks to avoid falling nets. One round and a volley of 8 javelins later she is down to -10 hp... and fails her die save, which takes her to -12 and 'totally dead' status. The player was not willing to abandon the character (and he actually spent more time on her backstory and personal goals than the rest of the party combined), so I had to think on the spot what could they do in this situation, given that the party is only second level and deep in generally unfriendly Underdark. And there was a way.

Resurrection was right out impossible for such a low-level party (nevermind there's no 13th lvl cleric in 50 miles around), but luckily (or maybe not) there was a dark cult in the city (there's always dark cult in the city), which as of now actually tricked the party to advancing its own goals (corrupting local shrine), promising resurrection of their friend in return. They lacked actual means to resurrect the character, but their God returned her as revenant-like creature, bounding her soul to golem-like created body (of course demanding some service "till-death-do-us-part-oh-wait-you're-already-dead" in return). 

So, for now the rogue is back in busyness, spying on her party on behalf of chaotic evil cult, her real body is kept somewhere by the cult. Both player and me wonder what would happen if actual resurrection spell would be used on the body and if there are other ways to break this rather forced contract with chaotic god. Of course I will have the answer ready in time, but I wonder if anyone met this situation in their games before? How do you deal with half-undead PCs and do you have any stories about intricate border of life and death?
Kudos on being creative.  There are probably a million stories about how this could work out but those are not really important.  You've set this up-you should decide (with or without the player is up to you) what would happen if a rez was attempted.

The other interesting bit...you do realize why revenants exist right?  Their only thoughts are revenge against those who slew them, and anyone who might stand between them.  Could add an interesting bit of flavor.
...and in the ancient voice of a million squirrels the begotten chittered "You have set upon yourselves a great and noble task, dare you step further, what say you! What say you!"
The other interesting bit...you do realize why revenants exist right?  Their only thoughts are revenge against those who slew them, and anyone who might stand between them.  Could add an interesting bit of flavor.

Well, a particular nameless kobold doesn't sound as a fearsome lifelong revenge target... I guess that adds insult to injury.

Well, a particular nameless kobold doesn't sound as a fearsome lifelong revenge target... I guess that adds insult to injury.

Then it sounds like you need to give him a name and fearsome reputation.  Think about it, the lowly Kobold warrior who slew the great (insert name here).  Who now bears the title 'Hero Slayer', his legend spreads to other tribes, even a few dragons have heard of him.  Rub it in, salt in the wound, salt in the wound....
...and in the ancient voice of a million squirrels the begotten chittered "You have set upon yourselves a great and noble task, dare you step further, what say you! What say you!"
I'm sorry if this is not the right forum to post, but I'm fairly inexperienced in DM stuff and simply would like an advice or a story to hear.

I'm running modified 'Reclaiming of Blingdenstone' module in DnD Next (based on this), with a party of 4-6 players. Just today our rogue got particularly unlucky with dice rolls, failing one after another sneak, trap sense and dexterity checks to avoid falling nets. One round and a volley of 8 javelins later she is down to -10 hp... and fails her die save, which takes her to -12 and 'totally dead' status. The player was not willing to abandon the character (and he actually spent more time on her backstory and personal goals than the rest of the party combined), so I had to think on the spot what could they do in this situation, given that the party is only second level and deep in generally unfriendly Underdark. And there was a way.

Resurrection was right out impossible for such a low-level party (nevermind there's no 13th lvl cleric in 50 miles around), but luckily (or maybe not) there was a dark cult in the city (there's always dark cult in the city), which as of now actually tricked the party to advancing its own goals (corrupting local shrine), promising resurrection of their friend in return. They lacked actual means to resurrect the character, but their God returned her as revenant-like creature, bounding her soul to golem-like created body (of course demanding some service "till-death-do-us-part-oh-wait-you're-already-dead" in return). 

So, for now the rogue is back in busyness, spying on her party on behalf of chaotic evil cult, her real body is kept somewhere by the cult. Both player and me wonder what would happen if actual resurrection spell would be used on the body and if there are other ways to break this rather forced contract with chaotic god. Of course I will have the answer ready in time, but I wonder if anyone met this situation in their games before? How do you deal with half-undead PCs and do you have any stories about intricate border of life and death?

If the real body is resurrected, you have a wonderful chance for the rest of the players to get a very nasty surprise. I'd ask the player if they want to continue playing a revenant or not. I'd find some NPC that has a connection the the dead character that can resurrect the real body, it would be much more fun to exploit this characters death to create a complication to the adventure. Depending on the players goal with the revenant, you could allow the party to encounter the double, who knows what might happen. If the player wants to stay a revenant, then destroying the orginal body would be their goal. If the player wants to gain control of their original body, give them that chance.
Afaik there's no rules to govern this scenario in next (yet?) or in 4e (which is why there was a question mark there...), but in 3rd, a creature raised as undead must be re-killed before being resurrected. 

Of course, there's some pretty interesting places you could take this if you just made up your own rules for how to handle it! 
Sign In to post comments