BUG Control --- Heard we needed to kill creatures

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alternative control brew I've been doodling with.

4 Mutilate
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Ultimate Price
2 Victim of Night
2 Psychic Strike
1 Syncopate
3 Think Twice
3 Forbidden Alchemy
4 Farseek

3 Liliana of the Dark Realms
1 Garruk Relentles

2 Crypt Ghast
2 Snapcaster Mage
4 Thragtusk

4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Watery Grave
3 Drowned Catacomb
2 Woodland Cemetery
2 Hinterland Harbor
7 Swamp
2 Blood Crypt
2 Kessig Wolf Run

SB
2 Garruk Relentless
2 Jace, Memory Adept
1 Psychic Spiral
2 Negate
1 Dispel
2 Curse of Death's Hold
1 Abrupt Decay
1 Tragic Slip
1 Barter in Blood
2 Ground Seal

It's more than remotely possible that I should stop being cute with Kessig Wolf Run and just Drown people out like a responsible control player.  I just felt like black has too many realistic Ritual effects for Wolf Run not to be a one-hitter.

It's been totally competent in testing.  Beats up blitz.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Pack Rat is like Bitterblossom and Tarmogoyf had a black baby.
I like the deck quite a bit. How are the matchups other than Blitz?

I kinda want to see a third decay in the main. Hows little Garruk working out for you?
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
It's nifty, but I don't like Farseek outside of dedicated ramp because it deadens late draws. I'd rather use the space for more cheap removal or 3 pieces of cheap removal and something goofy like Urban Evolution. I also prefer Alchemist's Refuge and Nephalia Drownyard to Kessig Wolfrun.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
@Illusionz, the matchups are generally very good.  If it's aggro I beat it.  Control mirrors (i.e. Esper) are pretty solid.  Bring in the walkers to either mill them or just fireball them to death.  UWR is rough if they can tempo me.  Depends how many counters they hit.  Midrange grinds are interesting, but with so much removal it's hard to have less than fine matchups.  Jund is dicey because of its extensive removal, but with more SB counters my lategame dudes can stick to fireball them.

I could dig a third Decay, but honestly I'm worried about leaning too hard on green lest the mana become more atrocious.  Little Garruk... I mean what can I say about him, he's ridiculous.  Does everything you would possibly want in a walker right now - kills aggro doods early, makes blockers mid that become fireballs late.  He's so relevant.

@Wynzerman, generally I'd say you have to play Farseek in any deck with notions of a lategame.  I think it's filling the same roll it does here as in Bant/Jund.  It's tempting to pack more 'business' spells in, but. 

Pros:
- ramp/fixing
- this deck has 4 insane synergies with direct proportion to number of swamps controlled
- Alchemy more than makes up for fear of bad rips

Cons:
- it's green?
- if you're Zack Hill you think it should have a free creature and several more spells stapled on

The points about just Drowning are totally valid.  Admittedly I set out to take advantage of the mana-multiplying attributes of Lili 3 and Crypt Ghast.  My testing has been favorable, but I could justify dropping the KWR plan for a turbo-stall/mill plan.  That just seems boring as logs.  If Bant can play Wolf Run, BUG can to by crappit. :P

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Why don't you simply Mind Grind with Ghast? Having them fish out 8 lands+ on 5 lands is more than nuts. There should also be room somewhere for Deathrite Shaman if you are going to use grind, it helps with aggro too.
Wow.  Deathrite Shaman.  I am a moron.  That or I haven't played Magic for like 3 months.  Yeah, those obviously replace the two Ground Seal in the board, and I really need to cram at least one more in the 75 somewhere.  Mein derp.  Good call.

Mind Grind.  I thought about it as a SB card, but it doesn't impact the board or perform any utility.  I'd rather not run win-or-useless cards.  Its direct competitor is Jace, MA, which actually performs the utility of drawing me cards, giving the opponent another target, and yeah, incrementally advancing a win con.  Psychic Spiral is an instant at least, and Wolf Run doesn't take up spell slots, while Lili serves other utility as removal/alt KWR.

Keep the ideas rollin'!  You're bouncing lots of good stuff around.

catowner wrote:
Islands wrote:
Wow.  Deathrite Shaman.  I am a moron.  That or I haven't played Magic for like 3 months.  Yeah, those obviously replace the two Ground Seal in the board, and I really need to cram at least one more in the 75 somewhere.  Mein derp.  Good call.

Play a Ground Seal anyways for random value. It's a cantripping 2-drop that can't be removed by Rolling Temblor, Angel of Serenity, Tragic Slip, Sever the Bloodline etc.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
This deck looks pretty awesome. Any changes to it or have you not been testing as of late?