Luckswitch (Deva Cleric|Warlord/Artificer / Luckbringer of Tymora / Soul of the World)

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
I recently noticed the Luckbringer of Tymora PP for the first time and was amazed at its potential (which I later realized had already been discussed at length in previous threads). Kinda shocked that there are no high-op builds using it though, so here we go.

Level 30 Build

Luckswitch, level 30
Deva, Cleric|Warlord, Luckbringer of Tymora, Soul of the World
Hybrid Cleric: Battle Cleric's Lore
Warlord Leadership: Combat Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlord: Hybrid Warlord Fortitude
Knowledge of Ancient Lives: Knowledge of Ancient Lives (Invoker)
Hybrid Talent: Commanding Presence (Hybrid)
Commanding Presence (Hybrid): Bravura Presence (Hybrid)
Past Spirit: Past Spirit (Tiefling)
Past Spirit: Past Spirit (Elf)
Luck Blade: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword)
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 28, Cha 26.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 8, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 16.

AC: 46 Fort: 40 Reflex: 40 Will: 46
HP: 185 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 46

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +28, Intimidate +28, Insight +29, Arcana +23

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Bluff +23, Dungeoneering +24, Endurance +23, Heal +24, History +20, Nature +24, Perception +24, Religion +20, Stealth +15, Streetwise +23, Thievery +15, Athletics +16

FEATS
Level 1: Battle Intuition
Level 2: Mighty Crusader Expertise (retrained to Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade) at Level 10)
Level 4: Improved Defenses (retrained to Great Fortitude at Level 26)
Level 6: Superior Will
Level 8: Saving Inspiration (retrained to Acolyte Power at Level 12)
Level 10: Expert Combat Leader (retrained to Combat Commander at Level 11)
Level 11: Fight On
Level 12: Student of Artifice
Level 14: Saving Inspiration
Level 16: Skill Power
Level 18: Ascendant Lineage (retrained to Dispater's Iron Discipline at Level 21)
Level 20: Last Legion Officer (retrained to Secrets of Belial at Level 23)
Level 21: Superior Initiative
Level 22: Divine Mastery
Level 24: Royal Command of Asmodeus
Level 26: Superior Reflexes
Level 28: Supreme Inspiration
Level 30: Hybrid Talent

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Direct the Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Sonnlinor's Hammer
Skill Power: Insightful Riposte
Hybrid encounter 1: Prophetic Guidance
Hybrid daily 1: Moment of Glory
Hybrid utility 2: Shake It Off
Hybrid encounter 3: Powerful Warning
Hybrid daily 5: Scent of Victory
Hybrid utility 6: Bastion of Health
Hybrid encounter 7: Bane
Hybrid daily 9: Inspire Fervor
Hybrid utility 10: Tactical Orders (retrained to Fighter's Grit via Secrets of Belial at Level 23)
Hybrid encounter 13: Deadly Lure (replaces Prophetic Guidance)
Hybrid daily 15: War Master's Assault (replaces Scent of Victory)
Hybrid utility 16: Help or Hinder
Hybrid encounter 17: Impromptu Attack (replaces Powerful Warning)
Hybrid daily 19: Penance of Blood (replaces Moment of Glory)
Hybrid utility 22: Bag of Four Winds (via Acolyte Power)
Hybrid encounter 23: Healing Torch (retrained to Word of Bewilderment at Level 24) (replaces Bane)
Hybrid daily 25: Sacred Word (replaces Inspire Fervor)
Hybrid encounter 27: A Plan Comes Together (replaces Impromptu Attack)
Hybrid daily 29: Word of the Gods (replaces Penance of Blood)

ITEMS
Timeless Locket +6, Helm of Able Defense (paragon tier), Ring of Tenacious Will (epic tier), Belt of Vitality (epic tier), Eager Hero's Tattoo (paragon tier), Dwarven Elderscale Armor +6, Counterstrike Guards (paragon tier), Symbol of Victory +2, Strikebacks (heroic tier), Siberys Shard of the Mage (epic tier), Backtrack Bindings (epic tier), Aversion Staff +1, Cunning Bastard Sword +6, Greater Ring of Invisibility (epic tier)

Novas

Level 24+ nova:
minor: Bag of Four Winds (move everyone into position)
move: Fighter's Grit (unaffected by daze or a number of other conditions)
standard: Word of Bewilderment (dominate in a close burst 2)
AP: Inauspicious Vulnerability (centered on self; all those enemies are now vuln 17-18 vs 4 different damage types)
off-turn: Impromptu Attack or A Plan Comes Together...if they're even necessary at the moment

If you have any allies that can easily deal multiple damage types (Hands of the Titan, rebreathers, genasi + Shocking Flame) then it shouldn't be too difficult to kill anything that was in the blast radius.

All allies are in position, ready to unleash havoc.

Level 13 nova:
minor: Slick Concoction (move allies into position)
move: move self into position
standard: Divine Tilt (allies have +5 defenses, enemies have -5 defenses, huge area)
AP: Deadly Lure (enemy gets vuln ~8 to all damage and then moves through your allies who are positioned where you wanted them)

The Deadly Lure target should be hurting or dead, depending on how many MBAs your party has. Allies are in position, with +5 to all defenses.

I think the closest build to compare to would be Flameswitch (my personal favorite leader), so here's a comparison, *assuming* a bit of party op:

At-wills: No Spirit Infusion, although a pretty effective MBA with Sonnlinor's Hammer (and both have Direct the Strike). I like SH slightly more in early heroic (which is when you'll be using at-wills the most), and in Epic having an MBA means one more attack via domination. If you want an at-will to use on your standard, then Spirit Infusion wins, but Sonnlinor's Hammer has a lot more use outside of that (also works with items like Strikebacks).
Point: Depends how fast you kill things.

Domination: Like Flameswitch, this build has an encounter dominate that can be refreshed via Divine Mastery. It even deals damage and, more importantly, it comes at L24 instead of L27. Flameswitch then has 4 daily dominates and Luckswitch only has 2, but if you need more than what is here, you are Doing It Wrong.
Point: Flameswitch

Nova: It depends on your party. If your party is optimized enough to the point where they're gonna hit most of the time anyway, then the gigantic damage boost that Luckswitch grants will be more useful (keep in mind that a character with Hands of the Titan + a Firewind Blade is doing ~100 extra damage per hit against an enemy subject to Inauspcious Vulnerability). If missing is a major issue, then Flameswitch's accuracy boost will be better (although you could adapt Luckswitch to do Divine Tilt -> Word of Bewilderment instead, or Divine Tilt -> Inauspicious Vulnerability, both of which are very powerful novas).
Point: Tie (Luckswitch with party op, Flameswitch without it)

Keeping the party alive: Roughly equal on healing, but Flameswitch has good THP granting. Luckswitch is far better for saves though. As a tiebreaker, Luckswitch likes to hand out a big round 1 defense bonus (Divine Tilt), and avoiding hits is better than soaking up damage.
Point: Luckswitch

Survivability: Luckswitch has 2 weak NADs, Flameswitch has 1. Luckswitch has a higher AC. Luckswitch can use a Ring of Tenacious Will to pile up on healing surges, and an Aversion Staff for even better defenses.
Point: Tie

Other stuff:
Flameswitch wins on Ritual Casting, and a little bit on accuracy (Luckswitch has a per-encounter double-roll, an encounter reroll, Insightful Riposte, and MoaTL; it also doesn't need to hit for many of its debuffs).

I like the Ooze Master theme more than the alternatives, but you could take Seer or Knight Hospitaler if you think they're better.

BCL means that, 2/enc, Luckswitch can give a +2 bonus to attacks when granting a heal.

Luckswitch can use a Symbol of Victory, which is a pretty nice benefit.
Point: None, these are hard to compare, and I'm probably missing a couple tricks Flameswitch has anyway

I don't intend to break down by levels any further than this, unless someone asks very very nicely.

I wanna be clear that I am not by any means claiming this build is better than Flameswitch (which is, again, my favorite leader build). Rather, I'm saying that it *could be*, and even without the required party op, it's still pretty badass.
No move granters, or am I blind?
Student of Artifice + Acolyte Power. Early on uses Slick Concoction, then later Bag of Four Winds.
I'm not gonna act like I'm totally up on my vulnerability rules knowledge, but...for when something absolutely, positively has to die, wouldn't you want to have Sever the Source stashed in there somewhere?
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Sever the Source wouldn't stack with what's already happening. It would work for after Inauspicious Vulnerability has worn off, but really, you want them dead by then.

You might be thinking of Penance of Blood, which increases vulnerability by +wis. That's in there, and it's pretty good for making things not be alive anymore.
This is extremely similar to a build I'm currently running in a home game; Luckbringer of Tymora is definitely exploitable.

I hate that you made me realize that you can't combine Inauspicious Vulnerability with Sever the Source though.
Student of Artifice + Acolyte Power. Early on uses Slick Concoction, then later Bag of Four Winds.

Ah that was it, I didnt recognize bag of 4 winds.  Nice that it's a minor AND moves you as well.

Ah that was it, I didnt recognize bag of 4 winds.  Nice that it's a minor AND moves you as well.

Yay using epic stuff to demonstrate how awesome a build can be!
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Divine Tilt is hardly a bad power though. At the level you get it, it probably gives the same attack bonus as Flame of Hope does, plus a major defense boost, in a large area. Yes, it requires your standard whereas FoH doesn't... but it also doesn't require an AP, so you can give powerful nova turns every single encounter.

Also, Cleric|Warlord is a strong combination anyway, it's not like the build sucks until level 20. It obviously gets more powerful in Epic (what build doesn't?), but I very much disagree that it's an epic-only build.

EDIT: To re-iterate the point: at level 14 (or 13, if you swap out Saving Inspiration for a level) your nova round consists of positioning all your allies, giving them all +5 to defenses, giving all enemies in a burst 5 a -5 penalty to defenses, and giving one enemy vuln 7 all then making that enemy provoke a bunch of OAs, essentially granting attacks to each of your MBA allies. I'm willing to put that up against most other L13 leader novas.
always a pleasure to read your builds  TY.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Sever the Source wouldn't stack with what's already happening. It would work for after Inauspicious Vulnerability has worn off, but really, you want them dead by then.

You might be thinking of Penance of Blood, which increases vulnerability by +wis. That's in there, and it's pretty good for making things not be alive anymore.

Penance of Blood is the best (multi-target) vulnerability augmentation power in the game, and provides the perfect complement for a daily nova.

Luckbringer is rather intrinsically an epic build, because its strength is largely in the level 20 encounter power. Probably the reason nobody hypes it up much.

Hardly, considering it's a cleric PP. From 13 onwards you have the same combo as you do at 20, just single-target because Sever The Source targets one dude. It doesn't have attack bonus boosters, but if you can acquire those somehow (Instant Planning for 1/day 'die' is a good start) it is basically better than FoH and more to be compared with Warchanter.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
always a pleasure to read your builds  TY.

Thanks! It's very much appreciated.

Hardly, considering it's a cleric PP. From 13 onwards you have the same combo as you do at 20, just single-target because Sever The Source targets one dude. It doesn't have attack bonus boosters, but if you can acquire those somehow (Instant Planning for 1/day 'die' is a good start) it is basically better than FoH and more to be compared with Warchanter.

I personally don't like daily utilities. I can totally appreciate their value in an intellectual sense; I just prefer knowing that I'll always have my utilities available. To each his own I guess.

Given that I have movement enabling, I prefer Deadly Lure over Sever the Source. You're down to vuln 2+wis instead of 10+wis, but you can also pretty much guarantee that they provoke a few OAs, and I like granting attacks. Also, StS is L17, DL is L13. StS does have the advantage of auto-success, but by L17 I have a double-roll from the PP, and Insightful Riposte, and MoaTL, and DL is ideally used after Divine Tilt (-5 to enemy's defenses). It should be easy to guarantee a hit there.

In terms of attack boosters, it has Divine Tilt for a -5 debuff to enemy defenses. That's the same as an FoH build would give as an attack boost, at that level. It doesn't scale the same way, but later on we have more tricks to use instead (Inauspicious Vulnerability, domination).
Normally I'd agree, but c'mon man, Instant Planning is 'win one fight per day'. What's not to like there? You have to stretch real hard to justify picking something else, doubly so because your other choices are kinda bad. What else do you have to take? Dragon's Tenacity?
Instant Planning is 'win one fight per day'.

So a Helf Bard is "Win every fight" because of Magic Weapon + Warchanter Bonus + Mantle of Unity?
(I mean, it kinda is, but Instant Planning isn't even that great)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Actually, what I went with was Slick Concoction, then later on Fighter's Grit via Secrets of Belial (because at that level I'm using Word of Bewilderment which self-dazes, meaning no OAs against the dominated enemies and no Impromptu Attack during the first round when it would be most effective due to all the buffs/debuffs flying around).

So that's potentially multiple extra attacks in the first round (depending on the number of OAs you get) and extra tactical options, every encounter. I prefer that over a daily IP, though it does cost a feat to make the swap.

There's the option to swap out Help or Hinder for it, but that's a pretty good utility for keeping up Inauspicious Vulnerability. I don't see IP fitting in. When I really need things to die, that's what daily attack powers are for, IMO.
Not that I don't think you put this together nicely (you did), but really all I'm seeing is "hey, SoTW is really really broken". Which, is kinda already known. Like, to the point where I've actually considered rating Deva Gold for Artificers because you're effectively 50% better than any other Artificer in round 1 on an Encounter basis.
I can see why you say that, because my breakdown mostly emphasizes the final, L30 build.

The build does not especially differentiate itself in heroic, but I have never seen a leader build that does. It's totally effective, but as they say, optimization begins in paragon.

My pet peeve though is that there are a lot of builds that build up some really cool tricks at L11, often involving War Chanter or Flame of Hope APs, and then 1) fall drastically in effectiveness on non-AP encounters because of the lack of special AP effect, and 2) don't really add anything major after their early paragon tricks (I think this one is true of every "-switch" build except Flameswitch, which is also SotW).

This build endeavors to be just as effective as those ones at early levels, but also add new "tricks" every few levels, starting at L11 (Combat Commander and Divine Tilt).

At L13, it gets a great nova that I've already mentioned (Slick Concoction + move + Divine Tilt, +AP Deadly Lure if possible).

Then at L20, it gets Inauspicious Vulnerability.

Then at L24, it reaches roughly full power with mass-dominates.

I think levels 11 and 12 are the only times where it doesn't compare well against other optimized leaders (lack of movement enabling means Divine Tilt is not as useful yet, and other leaders often get some really good abilities at L11). Other than that small gap, when is it not ~top tier?

(By the way, thanks for the kind and constructive response, it was appreciated)
"Lack of interesting things in the back half" kinda makes me want to redo killswitch, in part because I don't even know why it's taking Spell Commander anymore since 'blaster wizard' is the only build that gains anything significant from it.
What would you swap it for?
What would you swap it for?

Battle Engineer most likely?  I was working on something with Battle Captain or BE.  Both seem good.  Spell Commander, in my mind, is a good tertiary option.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

So a Helf Bard is "Win every fight" because of Magic Weapon + Warchanter Bonus + Mantle of Unity?

Swap Magic Weapon for, I dunno, Insightful Assault and sure, more or less.

So swap a level 1 At-will with a level 27 encounter power that does something completely different, and yes more or less?

Wtf? 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Wait, Luckbringer's level 20 power is actually an encounter power and not just a compendium error?  Christ.
Yes, it's a mistake that's never been errata'd.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Luckbringer of Tymora and Curseborn both have E20s instead of D20s, and they're both pretty open for abuse. 

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Given the Stat+2/4/6 (ie, poorly scaled) nature of Curseborn, how are you gonna abuse that?  Also, the detail that you no longer get BOTH Cloud of Darkness and Darkfire.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

The attack penalty doesn't matter that much, though I'm not sure it's worth it anyway.

So swap a level 1 At-will with a level 27 encounter power that does something completely different, and yes more or less?

Wtf? 

No, 'swap a level 1 at-will for an enabling attack that lets everybody get a bonus round'. I just picked Insightful Assault 'cause it's a guaranteed and obvious example. Bards have some to pick from, anyway.
Do i miss something or where do you get proficiency for the Rhythm Blade Spiked shield from?
Do i miss something or where do you get proficiency for the Rhythm Blade Spiked shield from?

Old cheap optimization trick. Spiked Shield is also a Light Shield, you only need to be proficient with Light Shields to wield it, which activates the property. You just can't use it as a proficient weapon (but who ares, you're never going to). So... really for 680 gp Heavy Shields are just pointless, unless you actually need a shield-only enchant.

Old cheap optimization trick. Spiked Shield is also a Light Shield, you only need to be proficient with Light Shields to wield it, which activates the property. You just can't use it as a proficient weapon (but who ares, you're never going to). So... really for 680 gp Heavy Shields are just pointless, unless you actually need a shield-only enchant.

So, where does he get the Light Shield prof from then? :D
He doesn't actually have Light Shield Prof, looking at the build, but his shield bonus is coming from BCL, not the Rhythm Blade Spiked Shield in any case. So... -2 to Ref (if he has it equipped, it could be an artifact of an earlier version of the build?).
So... -2 to Ref (if he has it equipped, it could be an artifact of an earlier version of the build?).

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly how that went down. Started out as a Prescient Bard instead of Cleric. I'm gonna blame the fact that I've had a temperature over 100 at all times since I started working on this build (ughhh).

Will fix it later. I don't think it's worthwhile to take shield prof, so I'm trying to decide between going Fullblade + Mighty Crusader Expertise (OAs are a pain), or Versatile Expertise and then I can take advantage of the PP's f11 that lets the heavy blade be an implement, and use an off-hand weapon as well for maybe even a Rhythm Blade and the +1 AC (or something else). That opens up weapon enchants more. If anyone else has suggestions, I'm all ears.

@pink: Thanks for the catch. 
?

Get well soon.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Awesome find with Hands of the Titan + the PP's E20, btw. Not that a battlemind needs any more buffing, but if Luckswitch is in the party, a battlemind (or someone who poached HotT, at least) and a firewind blade have to be, as well. Just for the facemelt.
Uhmmm, most of us have known about it, its just not standard in the BM package because Radiant > others most of the time.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Uhmmm, most of us have known about it, its just not standard in the BM package because Radiant > others most of the time.

It's like a diet promise of storms!
Fixed the shield proficiency issue. The build now has Versatile Expertise instead of Devout Protector Expertise (taking advantage of the Luck Blade feature of the PP), and uses an off-hand Aversion Staff for a nice defense bump.

The main hand weapon is now a Cunning Bastard Sword, which should combo very well with Inauspicious Vulnerability.

?

Get well soon.

Thanks. I think I'm finally getting better, although I said that a few days ago and was mistaken...

It's like a diet promise of storms!

Huh? Hands of the Titan on its own is not especially interesting, no, but with Inauspicious Vulnerability up you are now triggering *4* instances of (10+cha) vulnerability. That is a hell of a lot of extra damage, on every hit. Even with only one damage type, (10+cha) vuln is the same amount of damage as Morninglord+Pelor's Boon, so it's tied with radiant.

With multiple types though (Battleminds with Hands of the Titan, rebreathers with Thundering Breath, Genasi multiattackers with Double Manifestation and Shocking Flame)... Then it starts reaching pretty silly damage output.