Fiend Hunter, Cloudshift, and Thragtusk's token

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm just wondering if there's a way to manipulate Fiend Hunter with Cloudshift in such a way that when you perma-exile a Thragtusk the stacked triggers will nix the token he creates when he leaves the battlefield, too.  If so, can someone please spell it out for me?  Sorry if I'm being dense, but thanks in advance.
To whom it may concern: it's getting really old, being unable to see the top half of anything autocarded in the first post of each thread. Fixplz,kthx.
The only way to stop Thragtusk from creating tokens is by removing its abilities or by countering it.

I just realized you could have been asking "can the two fiend hunters exile both thrag and his token?" The answer is yes if you use a "delayed blink" (like Otherworldly Journey). With Journey, you cast Fiend Hunter, trigger its ETB ability targeting Thragtusk, then respond with Otherworldly Journey. Fiend Hunter leaves, its leaves-the-battlefield trigger resolves and does nothing, then the ETB trigger exiles thragtusk permanently. At end of turn, Fiend Hunter comes back and you can eat the token.

Any "instant blink" (like cloudshift, where it returns the creature immediately) will not let you do this. 

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

there is no way in Standard (that I know of)

outside of Standard you have Trickbind to counter the trigger or Turn to Frog to remove the trigger before you exile it

the second ETB trigger comes down to early to target the token (it doesn't exist yet), if that was your plan
proud member of the 2011 community team
No.

Fiend Hunter enters the battlefield, and its ETB goes on the stack. You must choose a target at this time, and that target must be something that already exists, presumably Thragtusk.

In response, you cast Cloudshift. It resolves before the ETB effect, causing both the Hunter's LTB ability and a second instance of its ETB ability to go on the stack. It doesn't matter what order you stack them in, you still must choose a target that exists at this time. Thragtusk's token doesn't fall into that category.

In whatever order, the LTB ability resolves and does nothing, and the second ETB ability resolves and exiles whatever. Only after all this does the first ETB ability resolve and exile Thragtusk.

You can get both Thragtusk and the token with this combination of cards - just play Fiend Hunter normally, wait until everything resolves, and then play Cloudshift. But you can't do that and the perma-exile trick.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
You can get both Thragtusk and the token with this combination of cards - just play Fiend Hunter normally, wait until everything resolves, and then play Cloudshift. But you can't do that and the perma-exile trick.

not following how this would get rid of both
proud member of the 2011 community team
That's exactly what I'd suspected; thank you.
To whom it may concern: it's getting really old, being unable to see the top half of anything autocarded in the first post of each thread. Fixplz,kthx.

not following how this would get rid of both

Right, it wouldn't get rid of Thragtusk (for long). D'oh.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
I'm better off just Unsummoning him than doing that.
Sign In to post comments