Pimp my Battlemind|Warlock!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, the title basically sums it up. Pimp my Hybrid Warlock|Battlemind. 

Things that aren't up for grabs: He has to be a Warforged. Class selection is locked. We got Improved Defenses as a free feat at level 11, which is why he's got it added in at 21. Teleporting is a core part of the character, which is why he's so heavily invested in making Ethereal Sidestep so powerful. 

He is going to be the main defender in a party consisting of a Human Psion, a Dwarven Pacifist Cleric, A Human Theif, and a Half-Elf Sentinel Druid. Our Theif sometimes can't make it to game, and he currently makes up the bulk of the DPR in the group. I've been DMing for them for the past year or so, and nights where the theif is MIA, the group drags. The guy taking over DMing is currently tanking as a Warlord|Cavalier paladin. Thus, I need to both be able to defend adequately and also do decent damage.

Mechanically, he's very minor-action intensive, but he should work out okay so long as I get one or two charges off, which should be feasable, as Eldritch Strike works for that. Agile armor isn't factored into CB's AC, nor is shadow-walk (with Sidestep moving him 6, should be basically always.) He's actually moderately under-geared compared with other toons in the campaign, as he has no +5s yet. It's likely he'll get them within the first 6 sessions or so. 

Anyways, looking for suggestions.

Build:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Testbed B 01, level 21
Warforged, Warlock/Battlemind, Quicksilver Demon, Demiurge
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Sorcerer-King Pact (Hybrid)
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid) Option: Hybrid Encounter Power
Hybrid Talent Option: Battlemind Armor Proficiency
Yakuza Level 10 Feature Option: Intimidate
Twofold Pact Option: Infernal Pact
Becoming the One Option: Constitution
Wandering Duelist (Wandering Duelist Benefit)
Theme: Yakuza

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 26, DEX 15, INT 20, WIS 10, CHA 20

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 16, DEX 13, INT 14, WIS 8, CHA 14

AC: 36 Fort: 35 Ref: 35 Will: 36
HP: 139 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 34

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +20, Endurance +23, History +20, Intimidate +29

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Athletics +9, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +10, Heal +10, Insight +14, Nature +10, Perception +10, Religion +15, Stealth +10, Streetwise +17, Thievery +10

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Yakuza Utility: Ruthless Demonstration
Warforged Racial Power: Warforged Resolve
Warlock's Curse Power: Warlock's Curse
Battlemind Feature: Battlemind's Demand
Battlemind Feature: Mind Spike
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Warlock Attack 1: Clarion Call
Warlock Attack 1: Hellish Rebuke
Warlock Pact Boon 1: Dark One's Blessing
Warlock Utility 2: Ethereal Stride
Warlock Attack 5: Hellsworn Blessing
Battlemind Utility 6: Ghost Jaunt
Battlemind Attack 7: Lightning Rush
Warlock Utility 10: Ethereal Sidestep
Quicksilver Demon Attack 11: Rebounding Dance
Quicksilver Demon Utility 12: Absorb Momentum
Battlemind Attack 13: Brutal Barrage
Battlemind Attack 13: Intellect Snap
Battlemind Attack 15: Mind Blade
Warlock Utility 16: Infuriating Elusiveness
Battlemind Attack 19: Focus Bind
Quicksilver Demon Attack 20: Aspect of Quicksilver Strides

FEATS
Level 1: Mindbite Scorn
Level 2: Practiced Killer
Level 4: Hybrid Talent
Level 6: Ki Focus Expertise
Level 8: Killing Curse
Level 10: Cursed Shadow
Level 11: Twofold Pact
Level 12: Protective Hex
Level 14: Psychic Lock
Level 16: Mark of Passage
Level 18: Venom Hand Assassin
Level 20: Lightning Soul
Level 21: Improved Defenses
Level 21: Cursed Spells

ITEMS
Eladrin Ring of Passage x1
Ring of Fury x1
Heavy Shield x1
Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier) x1
Agile Scale Armor +4 x1
Eladrin Boots x1
Greater Medallion of the Mind +4 x1
Headband of Intellect (heroic tier) x1
Forked Lightning Ki Focus +4 x1
Chosen of Tectuktitlay
Eberron Shard of Lightning (paragon tier)
Mithrendain Steel Longsword +2 x1
Kingslayer's Curse - Fearsome Reputation
====== End ======

1.) Could you tell me the reason why you want to Hybrid those two if you don't want to build it as a striker? Your feat selection tells me, that you want to focus on the warlock side of this hybrid, cause all those curse feats (besides Protective Hex) are useless with Battlemind powers, since hybrid warlocks curse only gets triggered by warlock powers. But what's the battlemind good for then?

2.) Do you want to switch between the Mithrendain Sword and the Ki Focus? Because you wont get the property of the sword if u use the Ki focus, afaik.

3.) Shadow Walk only applies on your turn, so not with your immediates, so i don't see the point wasting so much feats to get it as a defender. Even more since it's really minor-action intensive, as you said.

4.) Why Infernal PAct via TFP? I guess for Hellish Rebuke, but you can pick that at level 1, as well, even if you don't pick Infernal Pact from the start.

5.) Venom Hand Assassin?? That's a really crappy feat, if i didn't miss something huge.

6.) Why Cursed Spells? It's super weak, since it only applies once per turn and can only be triggered by your warlock attacks.

6.) Why such a high Int score? I guess for defenses, since Cursed Spells is super weak. Reflex is the least important Defense tho, so push your primary/secondary (Cha) to the max instead.

7.) It's cool that you're trying to make a kinda unique build, but if you know, that this certain hybrid would be on the absolute top of Striker damage, if built as such, it kinda hurts, that you want to waste the huge potential of the battlemind|warlock so hard. ;)

8.) Intimidate/surrender optimizing is cool, but you could a) focus even more on it or b) let it be, because many people (fellow players, as well as DMs) really hate it. ;)
1.) Could you tell me the reason why you want to Hybrid those two if you don't want to build it as a striker? Your feat selection tells me, that you want to focus on the warlock side of this hybrid, cause all those curse feats (besides Protective Hex) are useless with Battlemind powers, since hybrid warlocks curse only gets triggered by warlock powers. But what's the battlemind good for then?

The Battlemind is one of the only ways to loot a great defender feature without having to use up your Hybrid Talent. Lightning Rush is easily one of the best defending powers in the game in terms of mobility, and the fact that it requires no mark means that you can be basically anywhere in a hurry. Eldritch Strike is going to be his bread-and-butter on-turn attack power. 

This build has Mindbite Scorn + Psychic lock. Any target he has cursed and hits (rather likely, as he has pretty good to-hit) suffers a -2 penalty to attacking anyone, and a -4 to attacking the Battle-lock's allies. Additionally, if that target is marked (Curse isn't a mark, and thus stacks with mark) it suffers a -6 to attack anyone other than the Battle-lock, and still a -2 to attacking the battle-lock. Combine that with Lightning Rush, teleporting, and Eldritch strike, and you can make solos incapable of hitting. 

2.) Do you want to switch between the Mithrendain Sword and the Ki Focus? Because you wont get the property of the sword if u use the Ki focus, afaik.

Mithrendain Sword is there for the +1 to teleport property. The Way Ki-Focus rules work, the properties of a weapon are only overwritten by a Ki Focus when attacking with it. It boost teleports any time I'm not using it to make an attack roll, which is basically all of my teleports. 

3.) Shadow Walk only applies on your turn, so not with your immediates, so i don't see the point wasting so much feats to get it as a defender. Even more since it's really minor-action intensive, as you said.

Shadow Walk requires you move 3 spaces on your turn, granting you concealment until EonT. With a teleport range of 6, this guy will ALWAYS move a minimum of 3, assuming he's not dazed. As Eldritch Strike is being used as he main on-turn action (assuming the enemy isn't dazed) He's going to use his minor before or after the TP as necessary, and charge. 

4.) Why Infernal PAct via TFP? I guess for Hellish Rebuke, but you can pick that at level 1, as well, even if you don't pick Infernal Pact from the start.

Dark One's Blessing

You instantly gain vitality from a cursed enemy when that enemy falls.

At-Will  
Free Action      Personal

Prerequisite: Infernal Pact

Trigger: An enemy under your Warlock’s Curse is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer

Effect: You immediately gain temporary hit points equal to your level.

This guys defenses are a bit under-par at the moment (when he gets +5 armor, that will change in a hurry, as he'll end up with +3 effective AC from masterwork/ench/agile.) Getting 21 temps anytime something under his curse dies is going to be VERY VERY helpful. 

5.) Venom Hand Assassin?? That's a really crappy feat, if i didn't miss something huge.

It's 3d8/enc. It's not a massive boost to DPR, but combine it with Ironwrought (which I'm still strongly considering against Yakuza) and this guy gets to drop something like 12d8 on the first round (2d20 to hit. 3d8 Ironwrought, 3d8 Venom Hand, 4d8 curse damage, 2d8 Estrike.) He drops into less-nova-y damage after that, but I think having huge up-front burst is always nice. I'm still on the fence about venom-hand over bloodied boon however, as bloodied boon will make him have new temps every round.

6.) Why Cursed Spells? It's super weak, since it only applies once per turn and can only be triggered by your warlock attacks.

I'm kicking between Cursed Spells and Rapid Mindspike. I like cursed spells for damage, as it is a static +5 to his ES each round. 

6.) Why such a high Int score? I guess for defenses, since Cursed Spells is super weak. Reflex is the least important Defense tho, so push your primary/secondary (Cha) to the max instead.

A combination of reflex and Cursed Spells mechanically. I also like Arcana as a skill. 

7.) It's cool that you're trying to make a kinda unique build, but if you know, that this certain hybrid would be on the absolute top of Striker damage, if built as such, it kinda hurts, that you want to waste the huge potential of the battlemind|warlock so hard. ;)

I don't see how. Ideally he's going to be hitting at least one target for striker damage each turn, and probably a second with Lightning Rush. Attacking twice for full damage per-turn seems pretty good to me for maximizing DPR, especially if one of those is a particularily powerful striker feature (Mindbite + Curse is rogue-teir striker damage.)

You may be confused by Intellect Snap and Brutal Barage. They're primarily there for situational abuse (Sometimes you just gotta daze someone) and to provide a plethoral of power-points for Lightning Rush.

8.) Intimidate/surrender optimizing is cool, but you could a) focus even more on it or b) let it be, because many people (fellow players, as well as DMs) really hate it. ;)

I mentioned it to my DM. He's okay with the surrender op. I've actually been DMing the campaign for about a year now, and he trusts me not to use it to just execute a plot-critical solo or something.

Hey, thanks for explaining. Now that you mentioned, that you will use ES as standard most of the time, it makes more sense. ;)  
Hey, thanks for explaining. Now that you mentioned, that you will use ES as standard most of the time, it makes more sense. ;)  

I thought it might :D
I think you should see if your DM is willing to give you some sort of house rule to a Battlemind power as an MBA, then rebuild as a Battlemind|Executioner.

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

I think you should see if your DM is willing to give you some sort of house rule to a Battlemind power as an MBA, then rebuild as a Battlemind|Executioner.

Shut it you.

Shut it you.

edit: for context sake, I am the DM of this game 

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac