Searing Meditation

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Searing Meditation, it says it deals 2 damage to target creature. Am I assuming correctly that it doesn't target a planeswalker, due to the fact they are not creatures? 
Correct.

However, if I understand the planeswalker rules right, you can choose to target the player who controls it, then redirect the damage to said planeswalker, since Searing Meditation says 'target creature or player'.
Correct.

However, if I understand the planeswalker rules right, you can choose to target the player who controls it, then redirect the damage to said planeswalker, since Searing Meditation says 'target creature or player'.


That's correct. Any non-combat damage you deal can be redirected from an opponent to one of his planeswalkers.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Cool, I wasn't sure, but I thought I was right with what I originally thought.
Correct.

However, if I understand the planeswalker rules right, you can choose to target the player who controls it, then redirect the damage to said planeswalker, since Searing Meditation says 'target creature or player'.



Only if you target a opponent.  You can't target yourself and redirect it to your own planeswalker.

www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Article.aspx?x...
 
Why on earth would you direct damage to your own Planeswalker?
Why on earth would you direct damage to your own Planeswalker?



With a game like Magic, you never know ...
Why on earth would you direct damage to your own Planeswalker?

Garruk Relentless
proud member of the 2011 community team
Or to avoid killing yourself with Earthquake.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

You also might want to get rid of one of your own planeswalkers so that you can use another one from your hand that has the same subtype.

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
I see your point, Enigma256, my friend has that Garruk. Slightly off topic from this, but I suppose relevant at the same time - does Earthquake deal damage to a Planeswalker (counting it as a player)?
I see your point, Enigma256, my friend has that Garruk. Slightly off topic from this, but I suppose relevant at the same time - does Earthquake deal damage to a Planeswalker (counting it as a player)?


Planeswalkers are not players and are never counted as such.  The controller of Earthquake can redirect damage from his opponent to that player's planeswalker.
 
compare to Magmaquake
proud member of the 2011 community team
On other words,it has to be stated when attacking?
On other words,it has to be stated when attacking?

what?
proud member of the 2011 community team
On other words,it has to be stated when attacking?


Are you asking about combat now?  If you have an attacking creature, you must say if it is attacking the planeswalker or the player.

If you're asking about Earthquake still, you don't announce where the damage is going until it resolves. (spells don't attack)

 
Sorry, I meant the Earthquake effect, in reply to rudolf. Answered above here... I see.
Why on earth would you direct damage to your own Planeswalker?

Mindslaver controlling your turn might want to try...

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320


My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

So any non-combat damage that my opponent would take, I can redirect to one of his planeswalkers? (assuming I am controlling the source of the damage)
I had always thought it had to be targeted damage (ala lightning bolt, not earthquake) Good to know.

So pestilence works, etc.?


Can I redirect 'life loss'?  I assume it would have no effect on the planeswalker..
So any non-combat damage that my opponent would take, I can redirect to one of his planeswalkers? (assuming I am controlling the source of the damage)

Yes. That's exactly right.

I had always thought it had to be targeted damage (ala lightning bolt, not earthquake) Good to know.

So pestilence works, etc.?

Yes. You can redirect Pestilence to an opponent's planeswaler (in addition to it hitting everything else of course). Damage is never targeted. Some spells that deal damage happen to target, but that's not a characteristic of damage. It's a characteristic of spells and abilities.

Can I redirect 'life loss'?  I assume it would have no effect on the planeswalker..

No, life loss is not damage, you can't redirect it, and you're right that Planeswalkers can't lose life (they don't have life totals).

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Sign In to post comments