dependancy question -- Liquimetal Coating and Bludgeon Brawl

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
i still am shaky about dependancies! so here i am trying to learn about them.

suppose i cast Bludgeon Brawl first. and then i cast and activate a Liquimetal Coating on my Jace, the Mind Sculptor. does Jace become an Equipment? is this an example of a dependancy?
Jace will be an "Artifact Planeswalker - Jace Equipment"
proud member of the 2011 community team
Enigma, i'm trying to learn if this is a dependancy or not; knowing the /result/ doesn't really help me understand the /why/ of the result!

can you add more to your answer, please?
Liquimetal Coating and Bludgeon Brawl apply in Layer 4
613.1d Layer 4: Type-changing effects are applied. These include effects that change an object’s card type, subtype, and/or supertype

additionally Bludgeon Brawl grants an ability in Layer 6
613.1f Layer 6: Ability-adding and ability-removing effects are applied

there isn't really a dependency, the layers are just applied in their regular order

/edit: it seems I don't really understand what constitutes a dependency ;)
look below for a more correct answer
proud member of the 2011 community team
Yes, the effect of the Brawl is dependant on the effect of the Coating. They're both applied in the same layer (layer 4), and applying the effect of the Coating alters what the Brawl will affect (and neither one is a CDA). So you apply the effect of the Coating first, then the Brawl.

613.7a An effect is said to "depend on" another if (a) it's applied in the same layer (and, if applicable, sublayer) as the other effect (see rules 613.1 and 613.3); (b) applying the other would change the text or the existence of the first effect, what it applies to, or what it does to any of the things it applies to; and (c) neither effect is from a characteristic-defining ability or both effects are from characteristic-defining abilities. Otherwise, the effect is considered to be independent of the other effect.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

yay, this is the first time i actually understood what a dependancy is!! maybe i'll actually understand them well one day, lol.
thanks, Natedogg.

now, my next question (if anyone wants to answer) : can anyone come up with an example that seems like there might be a dependancy, but one effect is from a CDA? or, an example of a dependacy where both effects are CDAs?

-------------

edit: actually, maybe i don't need examples (although they're still welcome!). i was asking for them because i wanted the "exception" about CDAs in dependancies to feel less arbitrary. but now, if i remember that the intent is that continuous effects from CDAs are ALWAYS applied first in the layer they belong to, then this "exception" doesn't feel arbitrary and makes a lot of sense to me.
There can't be a dependency involving two effects if only one of those effects is from a CDA, because effects from CDA are always applied first in a layer.

An example of dependency with two effects from a CDA : Sutured Ghoul with Maro as the exiled card. You always apply Maro effect first.
I made this thread about CDAs and dependencies a year ago. Rule 613.7a was fixed shortly after that
@Edriss:
===
There can't be a dependency involving two effects if only one of those effects is from a CDA, because effects from CDA are always applied first in a layer.
===
yes, i already understand that. i was asking for examples where it might SEEM that there would be a dependancy, but where there isn't because only one of the effects is a CDA.

@Nylon:
thanks, i'll take a look. :-)
Sign In to post comments