Pictures of Warlords

The Guy on the Left Warlord ... his son the fighter on the right.

Odins Warlord Gadget's he threw his eye in to the well of time it sends him visions of doom from the future.. He also carries a weapon called the sword of victory (ultimate battle tactics booster)
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Cover of the film "Flesh and Blood"

By DC.

DevianArt, I suposse.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Cover of the film "Flesh and Blood"

Good selection

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Can we just agree to report the people who try to start a flame war in this topic again instead of feeding them please? Last thread got tedious.

All examples of MTG warlords:
Daru Warchief
Goblin Warchief
Keldon Warlord
Godo, Bandit Warlord
Imperious Perfect
Mad Auntie
Adaptive Automaton

Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
*big thumbs up*

NUFF SAID

I brought this scenario up in another thread, and I was able to find it!
CAMRA preserves and protects real ale from the homogenization of modern beer production. D&D Grognards are the CAMRA of D&D!
Famed Italian Warlord

Famed British Warlord, Lauded by the Bard himself

His grandfather (?)

Subotai Bahadur, Legendary Mongolian General

Jan Zizka, famed Hussite Warlord

IMAGE(http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m96/Jholiday84/Optimus_Prime.jpg)
Wrong thread Jenks.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

The punisher is a very good leader of small groups (when they are not reluctantly join him), good with surprise and debuffing.

IMAGE(<a title="http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zf0ZbTiqTug/Tnn0t90tH0I/AAAAAAAACH4/0pJAF4HMRdA/s1600/Cyclops.jpg" href="http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zf0ZbTiqTug/Tnn0t90tH0I/AAAAAAAACH4/0pJAF4HMRdA/s1600/Cyclops.jpg" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">3.bp.blogspot.com/-zf0ZbTiqTug/Tnn0t90tH...</a>)
Cyclops

IMAGE(<a title="http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-luy6XzugGHI/TWVmnGKUOuI/AAAAAAAAABM/1yTkYu-Y_Z0/s1600/Nicholas_Courtney_Feb23newsnea.jpg" href="http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-luy6XzugGHI/TWVmnGKUOuI/AAAAAAAAABM/1yTkYu-Y_Z0/s1600/Nicholas_Courtney_Feb23newsnea.jpg" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">3.bp.blogspot.com/-luy6XzugGHI/TWVmnGKUO...</a>)
The Brigadier

IMAGE(<a title="http://i53.tinypic.com/ny6ywp.jpg" href="http://i53.tinypic.com/ny6ywp.jpg" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">i53.tinypic.com/ny6ywp.jpg</a>) 
Hile Troy 

IMAGE(<a title="http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110623174814/hitchhikers/images/5/5e/Zaphod2.jpg" href="http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110623174814/hitchhikers/images/5/5e/Zaphod2.jpg" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb201106231...</a>)
Zaphod Beeblebrox  (though unknowingly post-lobotomy)

Almanzor, ruler of al-Andalus (Muslim Spain) in the late 10th to early 11th centuries.

You know-- a lot of this kind of highlights the problems with the warlord as a concept.

A lot of these seem to fall under the category of "super badass fighter with lots of experience that other fighters are willing to follow." And that just isn't really.. well, something uniquely different than a fighter.

That is sort of the whole problem with the "warlord" name that 4E decided on. It just fundamentally sounds like an elite, bad-ass fighter.

If one wants to seperate it out as a seperate, unique concept its really got to be more like this-- a member of this class is almost certainly going to get his ass handed to him by a straight-up fighter in a fight and probably will have a hard time even taking down a rogue, but if the fighter and rogue have him at their side cheerleading and advising them where to hit next, they are going to do considerably better than if they just had another them by their side. Probably some of this is going to do with the character being familiar with weaknesses of various enemies, being able to more easily make and utilize allies for the party and being able to generate or better utilize wealth to keep the party well equipped.

But if the "warlord" (still hate the name) is going to be something uniquely different from the fighter, it needs to specifically NOT be superior to a fighter in all ways. 

There are plenty of active threads to discuss the warlord as a character concept.  Please dont' get this thread locked with off-topic conversation.  Please limit yourself to pics.
You see, though, while I posted a pic from Firefly in the previous thread, the difference between Warlord (agreed, I hate the name, can we go 3.4e and 4.Essential's name of Marshal instead?) and Fighter is completely non-cosmetic. 

Most of these pictures, though I'm sure they highlight characters that fit the "Warlord" chassis, I really cannot tell the difference from them and a Fighter.  These could be Fighters.  As someone once pointed out, the difference in 4e art between Warlords and Fighters was the Warlord was pointing (and, annoyingly, the Warlord on the front of Martial Power?  That's actually the Cleric of Pelor from PH1.  I HATE IT WHEN THEY REUSE CHARACTER DESIGNS LIKE THAT.  Don't get me started even on Heroes of Shadow and how in the SAME BOOK they try to convince us the same character is both a Nethermancer Mage and a Binder).

Anyway, my point is, the Warlord or Marshal concept exists, and deserves proper treatment, but I'm REALLY not sure it deserves its own iconic class.  All the other classes look unique.  I can TELL someone is a Paladin and not a Cleric.  I can TELL someone is a Barbarian and not a Druid or Ranger. 

And you know what?  I kinda want the Warlord things for my Fighter.  I want a high level Fighter to be leading thousands of men, commanding the national army.  Don't get me wrong, I REALLY think the rousing commander AND the tactical strategist are important concepts that should not be lost.  I just think they can be Fighting Styles for the Fighter.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

There are plenty of active threads to discuss the warlord as a character concept.  Please dont' get this thread locked with off-topic conversation.  Please limit yourself to pics.

Without discussion, isn't the whole thread off topic? What do these pictures, on their own, have to do with the playtest?
As evinced in the OP, these demonstrate different peoples Idea as to who would represent a Marshall character. Discussion can then be had in the other threads hashing this out.

Yuri Olson of Anima

I've removed content from this thread. Off topic posts are in violation of the Code of Conduct

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

The Colonel from Anima, certainly an interesting take on the powered strategist.

Vinter Raelthorne IV, probably the best example of a Bravura warlord ever.

The Colonel from Anima, certainly an interesting take on the powered strategist.

see I see this picture and think fire mage...thats just going from the picture I know nothing of the show.
Game but who's counting. Imagine Sun Tzu with access to advanced techology so great it might as well be magic.
IMAGE(http://www.galleryhistoricalfigures.com/images/VladTepes_Full.jpg)
Without discussion, isn't the whole thread off topic? What do these pictures, on their own, have to do with the playtest?

Word.  There is a separate board for discussion of art style.  All of this off-topic material belongs there.
Every example of a warlord I've seen in other threads and now here is a Prestige Class ... basically a veteran warrior with strong leadership skills.

I really think that's where the class belongs (healing aside).
basically a veteran warrior with strong leadership skills. 

Level 1 name of the fighter class in AD&D was "veteran"... shrug. 

[sblock Fighter, Artificer, Paladin, Cleric, Beguiler, Warlord, Fighter, Bard, Beserker][/sblock]

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

And in AD&D we had racial class restrictions and gendered attribute score limits.  You don't get to claim "see, AD&D had it" as a defense.  You have to defend the concept on the basis of whether it makes sense.  You can certainly declare in your home campaign that the 1st level fighter starts off with some experience, but it's not going to make much sense to players new to the game...one reason I think the Warlord makes little sense in DDN except as a prestige-class fighter build.

And in AD&D we had racial class restrictions and gendered attribute score limits.  You don't get to claim "see, AD&D had it" as a defense.  You have to defend the concept on the basis of whether it makes sense.  You can certainly declare in your home campaign that the 1st level fighter starts off with some experience, but it's not going to make much sense to players new to the game...one reason I think the Warlord makes little sense in DDN except as a prestige-class fighter build.

Rename him a Martial or a Myrmidon. Problem solved.

Well the problem is not solved... because its not the "name" of the class that's the problem... its what the class represents, proven by all the Warlord fanboys here, you have uploaded countless 'warlord' images yet all these images essentially reflect a highly experienced warrior that has been given command of an army. That is a prestige class.

It's like having a "Archmage" class. It doesn't make sense as a class as it represnts a Experienced Mage... and you can't be an experienced level 1 mage.

In an edition like 4th where it is focused on Tactics, the warlord class was essentially needed. But the focus of D&DN is longer on tactics alone... and as an character archetype, the warlord has no place until the warrior becomes a lord of battle - hence Prestige Class.

Well the problem is not solved... because its not the "name" of the class that's the problem... its what the class represents, proven by all the Warlord fanboys here, you have uploaded countless 'warlord' images yet all these images essentially reflect a highly experienced warrior that has been given command of an army. That is a prestige class.

It's like having a "Archmage" class. It doesn't make sense as a class as it represnts a Experienced Mage... and you can't be an experienced level 1 mage.

In an edition like 4th where it is focused on Tactics, the warlord class was essentially needed. But the focus of D&DN is longer on tactics alone... and as an character archetype, the warlord has no place until the warrior becomes a lord of battle - hence Prestige Class.

No, it's like having a wizard class at all. The traditions of wizardry are there to show what you have gained in your years and years of studying. Just like the warlord has.

From the Miniatures Handbook, home of the proto-Warlord, the Marshal,
"Marshals come to their profession through study and desire. Most have had formal training in a noble’s army, where they were given positions of authority. Others have trained in formal academies, preparing themselves for careers as a military officers."

That's what a warlord is. Now let them go back to potsing pictures.

There's a big difference.

"archmage" is just a high level mage.  He does the same as a low level mage, but with bigger stronger spells.

"Warlord" is not just a high level fighter.  He does NOT just do bigger stronger attacks.  He has a different function altogether.

It's easy to imagine a warlord in a group of orphans.  He's the one who says "Judy, you start crying there.  Bob, you and fred have a fight over there.  Lilly, hide around the corner, and when i give the signal, go grab the bread.  Then we all meat back at the hideout." 

...Which actually makes me want to run a "survive as an orphan" game.  Where grown-up are giants.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

The Black Company is a series of fantasy novels by author Glen Cook. The series combines elements of epic fantasy and dark fantasy as it follows an elite mercenaryunit, The Black Company, through roughly forty years of its approximately five hundred year history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Company (from real History)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mercenary_units_and_formations

There's a big difference.

"archmage" is just a high level mage.  He does the same as a low level mage, but with bigger stronger spells.

"Warlord" is not just a high level fighter.  He does NOT just do bigger stronger attacks.  He has a different function altogether.

Yup military officers are trained differently and often lead more experienced soldiers in small units. The best commanders of history including tactical geniouses like Alexander the Great were barely out of diapers compared to the folk they lead.

It's easy to imagine a warlord in a group of orphans.  He's the one who says "Judy, you start crying there.  Bob, you and fred have a fight over there.  Lilly, hide around the corner, and when i give the signal, go grab the bread.  Then we all meat back at the hideout." 

...Which actually makes me want to run a "survive as an orphan" game.  Where grown-up are giants.

Hell me too... Lost Boys game anyone?

[sblock Fighter, Artificer, Paladin, Cleric, Beguiler, Warlord, Fighter, Bard, Beserker][/sblock]

Frankly back when we were first watching firefly we always said mal was a scout because every single time he gets a good shot or a good attack in that really does its job perfectly he is shooting on the move.  He doesn't really create openings for his team on the battle field, or really inspire them to press on directly in the combats, and zoe does more of the play calling while combat is going down (telling people where to go and when).  They all press on on their own merrits.  Mal is a leader, he definately has the smarts and the charisma for it, but again being a leader doesn't instantly make you a warlord.  
Well, any fighter can have minions. Can have a squad... or an army. And chances are when that high level fighter amasses his army, they will call him a "Warlord" which is typically what is represented when you see that word used. It is why it was kind of a bad name for the class to begin with, because one cannot be a level 1 elite Fighter and be balanced out with a level 1 Fighter.

Mechanically in 4E one ran into the problem that to be at all effective one had to put their Strength at their primary stat and then choose EITHER Intelligence or Charisma as the second highest stat. Because to utilize any of the class's basic abilities, one had to first hit a target using the character's strength attribute. So... basically, it just wasn't all that different from a fighter.

Now, the fact that one had to then choose EITHER Intelligence or Charisma to be the second highest stat and Charisma was vastly better than Intelligence for numerous reasons and past that, the character basically had to be build precisely like the Fighter kind of eroded the ability for the class to really stake a real claim out for itself. Moreover, for numerous reasons it did what it did worse than the cleric did. So it was a subpar non-religious cleric as much as it was just a fighter with a typical dumpstat raised.

I for one believe that there is a place for a class that is high on intelligence and charisma that doesn't use flashy magic or music or any other indirect means, but is still quite useful to the party. That character ought to really not hold his own against a Fighter one-on-one, they should be no more individually effective than a Cleric or a Rogue. But, in a group this character would hand out buffs, grant bonus attacks, restore stamina, reveal enemy weakspot to be exploited and likely be the one to handle negotiations and trade outside of combat.

Those were really the unique aspects of the Warlord that set it apart from any other class, but they weren't focused on to nearly the degree they should have been. And the name "Warlord" probably isn't the best term for what made this character unique. Captain and Marshal would be out due to being clear-cut military ranks, Noble or Lord don't work because they imply nobility (and the fact is that the above traits could well be the result of a character being raised by bandits or having been a hireling for adventurers and thus picked up on deep levels of tactics by watching the skilled warriors around the peron fight). I always favored the term "Tactician", but I guess that term really doesn't imply the inspiring force of personality that is equally supposed to be part of the character concept.

Anyway, my point is... not everything that has ever been called "Warlord" in every single piece of fiction necessarily highlights and displays the aspects that made the "Warlord" distinctly different than the Fighter or would have even really qualified as one if its abilities were explained. And perhaps a good part of that fault lies with the designers of 4E who erred on the side of making the class all too much like the fighter rather than really focusing on how it was different and fully developing it as a truely unique concept.

Wrong thread, Discussion is that way.

Mechanically in 4E one ran into the problem that to be at all effective one had to put their Strength at their primary stat and then choose EITHER Intelligence or Charisma as the second highest stat. Because to utilize any of the class's basic abilities, one had to first hit a target using the character's strength attribute. So... basically, it just wasn't all that different from a fighter.

Ummm no.. there were many abilities that did not involve hitting at all enough to make a specific build.. in fact the LazyLord variant relies on the fact that you are wrong  ..ironically there were even abilities that worked better if you failed to hit.