Izzet Delver

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Current Deck list: http://mtgdeckbuilder.net/Decks/ViewDeck/512399

The only problems I can think really of this is that it can be unreliable, and the fact Nivmagus Elemental kind of conflicts with Runechanter's Pike.. I also don't know what to think of Snapcaster Mage mainly because I don't really have the money to blow on him. Also I really don't know how to go about a Delver deck, considering I've only really been introduced to Red Deck (sometimes) Wins. I am just trying to think of an idea that will work well against a Mid-Range/Control heavy metagame in some manner. I will take everyone's ideas/suggestions, and consider them for a while. As far as having the cards required goes... I have all of the spells, lands, delver, and Vexing Devil... I just don't know what else to add, y'know? Thanks. 
The snappies are good but instead of him, why not use a bunch of flashback cards and then take away the nivmagus and add invisible stalker and in place of the snappy use  blistercoil weird?

once you have a guttersnipe out then every spell you play is a burn spell or 4... and then once you have out the burning vengeance and the snipe, every flashbacked spell becomes 2 to 8 burn spells. and for every spell you play you bump the Blistercoil Weird and before you start to flash back the invisible stalker is unblockable and huge thanks to the pike and all the spells or you can put a pike on the weird and then play artful dodge to get him through. You could add in some counterspells for opps that try to burn your creatures or you could use the counters to counter their counters or if you feel like you need the extra burn you look at Runic Repetition.

idea here is to get out the snipe and start the burn then the piked stalker and start the beatdown then drop the vengeance and finish them off witht the flashback burn or just keep beating face with the stalker. The delver will flip early and you could pike him and fly over too or like i said pike the weird and make him unblockable (and bigger) with artful Dodge. 
That list feels too blue, and I think it's a bit light on the land. Here are some cards that I didn't like in the build:

Nivmagus Elemental does not synergize with the concept at all.
Vexing Devil is a good card, but not in a deck like this; I'd rather have straight burn that can target opposing creatures if need be.
Thought Scour is a cheap cantrip, but you are already running a set of Think Twice, so I think it's overkill.

Here are some cards to consider:

Izzet Charm: Counterspell, creature removal, or dig for answers at instant-speed. Can also power up the Pike as much as +3 at instant-speed. Great card.
Krenko's Command: Provides blockers, flips Delver, triggers Guttersnipe, and activates morbid for Brimstone Volley if you chump.
Guttersnipe: Seriously, he's awesome.
Talrand's Invocation: Two 2/2 bodies with evasion on one card is too good to pass up. It has all the benefits of Krenko's Command and more.
Teleportal: If you get a Runechanter's Pike big enough, the base spell could win the game. Overloaded, it can get all your Goblin/Drake tokens through for some serious damage.
Thunderous Wrath is a fantastic miracle in a deck like this.

I'll give a sample build as a starting point for some testing, and we'll see what the community says as well.

That's 26 instants/sorceries, so you should be able to reliably flip Delver of Secrets. Guttersnipe triggers off every cast, tokens give you board presence, Runechanter's Pike provides solid defense, and Teleportal gives you alpha-strike possibility. There's lots of burn here, as well, so you have plenty of reach.

Thoughts?
Yeah, I really like this list much more Hakeem. I'm currently trying it out just on deck-builder and it seems better than the previous setup.. Also the fact that this list relies more on instants and sorceries makes it better. And the creature cards that flip delver are pretty good. Also the fact that with Krenko's Command, you're basically playing 2 creatures for 2 free damage from Guttersnipe. I really like this a lot man. The Thunderous Wrath is kind of hilarious when Miracle'd. Also, I like Talrand's Invocation for Flyer chump blocking, especially with Falkenrath Aristocrat existing and all. Teleportal is really good here imo cause if you have lets say Guttersnipe, and two goblin tokens out.. you can overload Teleportal, so you can swing for 7, and get a free 2 damage from the sorcery. I like it. Do you think Unsummons would be good here? 
I'm glad you like the list! It is a fun deck with lots of cool interactions, for sure. I'm not sure Unsummon has a place in the main deck because we have lots of burn to remove creatures from play. Once we get the main deck finalized, however, we need to start thinking about the SB to improve our weakest matchups. Counterspells and bounce definitely have a home in the SB for decks that like to play things too big for us to burn, so maybe Unsummon has a home there.
Hmm. I think Syncopate would be good for the countering of Sphinx's Rev? I think cheap counterspells I'm thinking Dispel to counter other burn decks or decks that have that whole Harvest Pyre their own Boros Reckoner to deal a billion. Essence Scatter or Dissipate? I guess what I'm thinking of is just.. Legitimately countering creatures and putting them into the graveyard or exiling them, rather than pushing it back to their hand. Yeah it puts them behind by pushing things back, but I feel like it's risky to let the enemy have a board. Electrickery for cheap blocker removal? Thoughts on Jace, Architect of Thought

These are my current thoughts, I will post again when I think out some things in my head.

Pointless Edit: Lol what do you think about the man who thinks(Jace) 
Hmm. I think Syncopate would be good for the countering of Sphinx's Rev? I think cheap counterspells I'm thinking Dispel to counter other burn decks or decks that have that whole Harvest Pyre their own Boros Reckoner to deal a billion. Essence Scatter or Dissipate? I guess what I'm thinking of is just.. Legitimately countering creatures and putting them into the graveyard or exiling them, rather than pushing it back to their hand. Yeah it puts them behind by pushing things back, but I feel like it's risky to let the enemy have a board. Electrickery for cheap blocker removal? Thoughts on Jace, Architect of Thought

These are my current thoughts, I will post again when I think out some things in my head.

Pointless Edit: Lol what do you think about the man who thinks(Jace) 

Izzet Charm counters Sphinx's Revelation unless they don't tap out for it. Spell Rupture could be a decent hard-counter, but we would need a Runechanter's Pike online to maximize the potential, so perhaps Syncopate would be better overall. Cyclonic Rift is a great bounce card we could use in the side as well. I don't think there's really a place in here for Planeswalkers, but Chandra, the Firebrand could be pretty good in a burn-themed deck, and she likes copying instants and sorceries. We have to be careful when sideboarding not to lower our instant/sorcery ratio too much, however, because Delver of Secrets and Guttersnipe are the workhorses of the deck.

And we definitely need 4 copies of Rolling Temblor in the side to handle those pesky blitz decks.
Hmm what do you think of Witchbane Orb? Or uh Blustersquall? Rapid Hybridization might be a good counter to things like Boros Reckoner or huge creatures that make your face hurt

I love Blustersquall, but I think Teleportal does the same job; if you need to tap them to survive, you're in bad shape anyway. Rapid Hybridization, on the other hand, is an absolutely fantastic card for this deck and deserves main-deck consideration. It can remove opposing threats, sure, but it can also turn a 1/1 goblin token into a 3/3 (which could remove a troublesome attacker), and it can attack next turn if it survives. It also triggers Guttersnipe and flips Delver; awesome card. The question becomes, then, do we need it in the main deck and, if so, how do we fit it in?
Hmm... -1 Talrand's Invocation -1 Searing Spear for +2 Rapid Hybridization?

edit: -1 Izzet Charm for +1 Rapid Hybridization along with above 
I really think we need some playtesting data at this point. We have a concept fleshed out and we need to see its weaknesses before we go any further with theory-crafting.
I really think we need some playtesting data at this point. We have a concept fleshed out and we need to see its weaknesses before we go any further with theory-crafting.

Yep. I'll be sure to test against some friends on Thursday, at my school's Magic Club. 
Have you thought about adding in another color?