Black/red SKIRSDAG high priest, changes to deck and thought's?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
so made some changes to my skirsdag deck need more input;

4 x spark elemental
4 x skirsdag high priest
4 x Hellspark elemental 
4 x demonlord of ashmouth
2 x Desecration demon

4 x nightbird's clutches
4 x dragon fodder
2 x fling
4 x searing spear
2 x thatcher revolt
4 x brimstone volley

4 x dragonskull summit
9 x swamp
9 x montain 

right so the idea is for the creatures to come out do damage then sacrifice themselves to activate skirsdag ability, nightbird's clutches is to ensure the creatures dont go to waste and do some damage, dragon fodder and thatcher revolt for tap targets, any suggestions??
What is your Budget? Do you have any Format or Legality restrictions?

Why run NightBird's Clutches instead of PyreHeart Wolf?

I'd run a playset of Mogg War Marshal instead of Thatcher Revolt and Fling.

Why not run Lightning Bolt in place of Searing Spear?

right so the idea is for the creatures to come out do damage then sacrifice themselves to activate skirsdag ability, nightbird's clutches is to ensure the creatures dont go to waste and do some damage, dragon fodder and thatcher revolt for tap targets, any suggestions??

I feel like a better way to do this would be with a repeatable sac outlet  (something like High Market, Attrition or Goblin Bombardment ), some Undying/Unearth creatures and some Token generators - rather than trying to time your Elementals right.

How to autocard: 

Show

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard!

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Remove the *'s to autodeck!

no limit to budget, i see what you are saying about the elementals but im not depending on skirsdag ability alone to win, i think what would be better would be a mix of the two, elementals, add in the 4 high market aswell and maybe the attrition unearth creatures are a good idea,   but i could maybe do with more creatures on the board such as the pyreheart wolf  

4 x hellspark elemental
4 x pyreheart wolf
4 x skirsdag high priest
4 x Mogg war marshal
3 x demonlord of ashmouth 

4 x lightning bolt
4 x dragon fodder
4 x brimstone volley

4 x dragonskull summit
4 x high market
7 x mountain
7 x swamp

maybe something like this? 
im also considering pawn of ulamog maybe gives me a constant sac outlet with a bonus.
no limit to budget

In that case you should consider - Phyrexian Tower. It's crazy powerful, but it would work best in a mono - :B: deck. I'd also run something like Blood Crypt.

im not depending on skirsdag ability alone to win

If you aren't pumping out 5/5 Demon's though...I imagine this deck would be a little lackluster.

I feel like you need some Draw - Altar's Reap and SkullClamp come to mind.

I don't like the 3 CMC of BrimStone Volley. I'd consider something like Innocent Blood instead.

Here is something I spitballed:

How to autocard: 

Show

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Draw is a good point i think skull clamp will fit nicely here, 

so far then;

2 x high market
4 x dragonskull summit
4 x blood crypt
6 x mountain
6 x swamp

4 x goblin arsonist
4 x skirsdag high priest
4 x mogg war marshal
4 x pawn of ulamog
3 x Demonlord of ashmouth

4 x skullclamp
4 x lightning bolt
4 x innocent blood

so the idea is use the skullclamp on either goblin arsonist or the tokens produced by mogg war marshal or if needs be the tokens produced by pawn of ulamog the card draw is great.
Looks fine. Start testing and report back!

use the skullclamp

I'd confirm that your playgroup will let you play with 4 SkullClamp - 2 would be pushing it in my group.

You might also want to consider Mogg Fanatic instead of Goblin Arsonist -as the ability to kill Mogg Fanatic whenever you want might prove useful.

How to autocard: 

Show

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

yes will add in the mogg fanatic, my playgroup should let me play with four i keep saying to them that i dnt want build decks that are to powerful, like using banned cards etc but i keep getting told it does not matter, we are very casual and if there is a problem i can always take some out. 
I just counted the number of cards in the deck you posted and it looks like you are sitting at 53 - so you may want to add a few more (or none at all if your playgroup is super casual).

How to autocard: 

Show

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

hehe, i cannot believe i did not notice that....... no i need it at the 60 mark, so will add in 4 x dragon fodder and then need a 3 of, what could you suggest?
4 x dragon fodder

Since Pawn Of Ulamog only triggers for non-token creatures, I'd consider something like Butcher Ghoul (especially since you can play it, kill it with SkullClamp, draw 2 and have it come back stronger)  or Dregscape Zombie instead.

and then need a 3 of, what could you suggest?

If playtesting reveals you can reliably hit :B::B::B: on T3 then Geralf's Messenger, otherwise maybe HellSpark Elemental (since it dies to SkullClamp).

How to autocard: 

Show

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

i think dregscape zombie will make better use of skullclamp as i can use it again if needs be when i unearth, and again the same with the hellspark elemental but with all the cards that are now making use of the skullclamp is a bit overkill, so might go to 2 x skullclamp.
Disciple of Griselbrand. My buddy runs a deck with those in it and its pretty beast. You got your sac outlet and you could conceivably sac your demons to gain life and trigger morbid all over again. He does that a bunch, drops Phyrexian Processor and then starts making even bigger tokens that he sacs for more life. its kinda rediculous...

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

I have played a similar deck in the past and have found that Desecration Demon works quite nicely like you had originally listed. Its big enough on its own for a wincon but if they do sacrifice there creatures each turn you can get a demon as long as you have enough creatures on the board.

That is the real key here you need to have 2 other creatures plus the priest so thats atleast 3 creatures on the board. Butcher Ghoul and other undying creatures help out with that alot since you can block to help you build your board but also later have them to tap to make a token. Pyreheart Wolf is another good choice.

A different way to go is more zombie based with Gravecrawler/Diregraf Ghoul setup using something like Falkenrath Aristocrat as a wincon/sac outlet incase you can't get rolling with the Skirsdag High Priest.

If you don't care about colors something like Korozda Guildmage can  give you a sacrifice outlet but also the creatures you need to tap and make demon tokens. The real advantage to green is the mana boosting also Farseek can help ramp into all the creatures you need fast. It also has some nice undying creatures if you decide to go that way Young Wolf/Strangleroot Geist and a way to reset them Ooze Flux.

I hope this helps GL!
Sign In to post comments