Insanity Chart?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello all; thanks for taking the time to read.

I made a new character for an upcoming game, which is going to be mentally unstable (due to Far Realm influence)

Is there a chart out there which depicts madness effects; If I recall correctly there was, and you rolled a d20 to see what random manifestation of madness you where influenced by.

Or I could be wrong, was wondering if anyone knew where I saw this; if not does not exist does  anyone have a system in which they use for Insane characters?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

Could you be thinking of the dragon article, "Totem Creatures of the Far Realm: The Aberrant Souls", from edition 394? It provided the following table.

If you wish to add cosmetic changes to your character to show the changes caused bythe aberrant connection, some options arelisted below. You can choose a trait that mostexpresses the chosen totem creature, or roll1d10 to determine what characteristic develops.
For a truly volatile body, you can choose toroll every time you gain a level, with a new trait replacing or adding to the old one.

1 Your eyes become entirely black or are covered in a milky white film. Neither effect impairs your ability to see.
2 Your hair is replaced with tentacles.
3 Your eyes bulge from their sockets, and can be extended on short stalks at will.
4 Weeping sores appear on some part of your body.
5 The palms of your hands sprout tiny mouths, and your fingers elongate.
6 Patterns of color move across your body as if something were crawling under your skin.
7 You no longer have eyes—instead, you have smooth skin where your eyes would be. You can still see normally, and can still be blinded.
8 Your skin is cold and slimy, occasionally leaving a thin film on things you touch.
9 When you bleed, your blood is black and viscous, like crude oil.
10 R eroll twice, taking two unique traits (ignore any other rolls of 10 or conflicting traits) 

Not exactly what I’m looking for, but still very cool I must have missed that issue, going back to check it out right now.

Looking more for something like this

Roll a d10

1-      Sees something that isn’t there

2-      Perceives something is dangerous

3-      Here’s something horrible

Ext, ext, ext.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

Honestly, you're better off just roleplaying the effects of madness rather than rolling on a table. Much easier to come up with something that's appropriate to the specific scene or situation the character's in. (Also less likely to irritate the rest of the party.)

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

I went this direction with my Elf Ranger.  I think you're better off doing some research on the different types of mental health issues, pick one or two and role play accordingly.  See if your DM doesn't mind reading up on whichever mental illness you choose so he can help develop the story to include your psychosis.  I went with paranoid schizophrenic with various psychotic tendencies. Both myself and the DM have a lot of knowledge on mental illness.  My backstory included audio hallucinations (hearing voices).  During the course of the game the DM decided that what I was roleplaying as hallucinations were actually a result of a spiritual sensitivity to deities (though he is still psychotic).  Mostly Melora, but others as well.  He worked it into the campaign and at this point I have a frost focused elder god living in my head as we attempt to re-establish the natural balance of his world so he can return to power. 

I guess my long winded point is, though many mental illnesses share symptoms, there is an actual "method to the madness".  Using a random table to determine cause and affect would really only work if you made a random table that only included possibilities of your chosen illness, but again imo, it’s more fun for the DM and player to understand the illness and role play it.  Just my two copper.

Personally, I'd avoid making your madness too much like a real-world mental illness.  After all, this is Far Realm madness - fictional, paranormal insanity due to seeing THINGS THAT MAN WAS NOT MEANT TO KNOW, not some brain chemistry or behavioral issue.  Working it this way, you'll avoid problems with not being able to achieve a sufficient level of "realism" (which is just chasing the dragon in D&D) and also avoid the possibility of someone getting all offended because of the way you roleplay BECAUSE ME BROTHER HAS ISSUES TOO AND IT'S NOT FUNNY, etc.  Insanity isn't something that fits a heroic fantasy roleplaying game very well anyway, at least not for the PCs.  (Which is why I play D&D instead of Call of Cthulu or any other game with insanity rules.)

Slightly OT:  Anyone else ever notice how many villains in fiction always have some form of insanity?  It was getting to the point with D&D adventures for a while where it seemed like they were stuck in such a rut for interesting villains that every single villain had to be female, or insane, or both.  Why can't a villain be evil just because they really enjoy being evil ... instead of somehow not being able to help it and being sympathetic in some manner.  It's a bit too cliche for me.  And hey, you mean women can be bad people too?  No way!  How unique!

But to each their own!

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Keep On The Shadowfell" would be hailed as a brilliant, revolutionary triumph in game design if it were followed by the words "A Pathfinder Adventure Path by Paizo."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”