Cards are from 1997 and older till today (some catch up questions)

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello to all,  This will be my first post

Use to play in highschool now getting back into it since I found my cards moving into the new house.  Always played a single color deck and after reading all day running 2 or more colors seems like a plan.  I went out and bought 2 event decks, 12 boosters and just ordered 22 individual cards off star city.  (you know cant play with all old cards) Smile  

I have been formulating a plan for my first deck (going to play the event decks till I get back up to speed) and just wanted some imput.   
My plan is to play a Red/green/white deck
Using green for the heavy hitters and life gain
Using red for the burn spells and kird apes
Using white for some protection Rebuff the wicked + dawn charm
I also got some interesting white/green gold cards aswell as a few artifacts ect to sprinkle in
I plan to run 4 dual option mana lands and  21 basic lands (distributed accordingly)
I plan to come in with 65 card deck + 4 evolving wilds

Mostly plan the side deck to be a mix of protection, burn spells, green monsters, and adjust accordingly

My concerns are
Is three colors a good idea?
Am I going to run myself to thin trying to do eveything with one deck (life,attack,counter,burn)
without listing all the cards I will be choosing from does anybody have any words of wisdom or advice with what Iam trying to do?  It will be games with friends for now with a future possibility of friday night magic.

Thanks

Jason

Three colors is not impossible and many people do it successfully. I am not really one of those people. one color is easy, two is fun and three tends to be hit or miss (for me). You will definitely have an easier time focusing on fewer wincons (especially just picking the game up again). Still, Naya (Red/White/Green) is a strong build and there's lots of options and directions for you to choose from. I'll let somone else with more experience give you ideas about how to get your mana curve straight with 3 colors.

My concern is the number of cards in your deck. 60 is the minimum and you should strive to play that number. think about it this way: let' say you have some sweet card you really want to play. Maybe Mayael the Anima (I just picked that because of your color choices). If you play 69 cards, you will potentially have an extra 9 draws before you see Mayael (if you draw her at all). Statistically, you are just more likely to get your combo pieces and cards you want if you play the 60.

Evolving Wilds is a good choice for mana fixing. Green is also the best color for land fetching. Cards like Farseek, Rampant Growth, Dawn's Reflection and Ranger's Path all make your life easier. Fetch lands will also ensure that you don't draw as many lands and can keep top decking playable spells and creatures. Cheers!

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

Going three colors is fine if you have a passable mana base. Farseek or Rampant Growth are solid.

Some things I would look into for a Naya build:

- Jungle Shrine
- Birds of Paradise
- Lightning Bolt
- Lightning Helix
- Naya Charm
- Chromatic Lantern might be worth running
- Path to Exile maybe
- Oblivion Ring maybe

Without knowing the actual cards you're using, I can say that it is possible to have a deck doing multiple things and be synnergistic. It depends on your card choices, though.
IMAGE(http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/225/8/9/bloodgift_demon_sig_banner_by_voidelemental-d46gjhm.jpg)
Three colors is not impossible and many people do it successfully. I am not really one of those people. one color is easy, two is fun and three tends to be hit or miss (for me). You will definitely have an easier time focusing on fewer wincons (especially just picking the game up again). Still, Naya (Red/White/Green) is a strong build and there's lots of options and directions for you to choose from. I'll let somone else with more experience give you ideas about how to get your mana curve straight with 3 colors.

My concern is the number of cards in your deck. 60 is the minimum and you should strive to play that number. think about it this way: let' say you have some sweet card you really want to play. Maybe Mayael the Anima (I just picked that because of your color choices). If you play 69 cards, you will potentially have an extra 9 draws before you see Mayael (if you draw her at all). Statistically, you are just more likely to get your combo pieces and cards you want if you play the 60.

Evolving Wilds is a good choice for mana fixing. Green is also the best color for land fetching. Cards like Farseek, Rampant Growth, Dawn's Reflection and Ranger's Path all make your life easier. Fetch lands will also ensure that you don't draw as many lands and can keep top decking playable spells and creatures. Cheers!

Thanks for your thoughts 

Jason 
Going three colors is fine if you have a passable mana base. Farseek or Rampant Growth are solid.

Some things I would look into for a Naya build:

- Jungle Shrine
- Birds of Paradise
- Lightning Bolt
- Lightning Helix
- Naya Charm
- Chromatic Lantern might be worth running
- Path to Exile maybe
- Oblivion Ring maybe

Without knowing the actual cards you're using, I can say that it is possible to have a deck doing multiple things and be synnergistic. It depends on your card choices, though.

Thanks for your post.  I plan on posting a list of possible cards to use but Iam still sorting through.  Just got done going threw a pile of 500 sorting the usefull and the bad then I went through the bad ones to see what had value to trade or sell for some more good ones,  Plus I waiting on my star city order.   I apreciate the list of cards a couple went on my buy list next time Iam shopping.  

When I post my card options would it be better to post by color or card type.

Thanks

Jason

better to come up with a deck idea/focus and maybe a rough deck sketch. That gives people more of an idea of where you want to go and they can suggest suff more easily

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Seconding Smoke_Stack. It's easier to improve on a rough deck plan than to scratch build from a long list of someone's stock.
IMAGE(http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/225/8/9/bloodgift_demon_sig_banner_by_voidelemental-d46gjhm.jpg)
Thanks you guys.  Iam shipping out for work soon (not sure how long) when I return I will post my best shot at a deck and then a list of the ones I had a hard time leaving out.  

Jason

With a bunch in the mail, a shopping list for saturday and a pile infront of me to go through yet this is what I have kept (some might get bumped)

Land (25 or so)
4x jungle shrine
4x evolving wilds
17 basic land as required

Creatures (18-20 would be ideal but may change)
4x kird ape
4x wild nacatl
2x watchwolf (thinking they will get replaced the 8 above are just as good with lower cost and the wolly bellow is better for 1 extra mana)
2x woolly thoctar
  ball lightning
2x druid of the anima thinking of replacing this with birds of paradise
2x knotvine mystic

I have a bunch of large green and naya gold cards inbound to sort out the rest and likely bump some of the above

Spells (10 or so unless I go larger with the deck)
4x lightning bolt
2x molten influence
2x lightning helix
2x banefire

Misc (5 or so)
Mirari's wake
Mirari
2x Exploration

Spells I cant seem to decide on (some will likely make the side deck)
2x mizzium mortars
4x dawn charm  
4x rebuff the wicked
4x divine deflection
2x red sun's zenith
relentless assault
2x wild ricochet
2x ranger's path
it helps a lot if you autocard. [c*]Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker[/c*] becomes Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker if you remove the *. You way also autocard mutiple cards in a list if you begin and end the list with "deck" instead of "c".

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Thanks I wondered how people did that. I edited my post.

Jason 
First off I would like to talk to you about the mana base. 3 colors is a bit greedy given the lands you're planning to use. With that said it's an option if you have a green base with birds of paradise. druid of the anima is a poor substitution for birds of paradise so I'd definately swap the two if given the option.

With that said cards like kird ape and wild nacatl are desperate for some stomping grounds and temple gardens. The issue is that in decklists with these types of one drops you don't want to start out by playing birds of paradise, however, if you don't have the dual lands then you've gotta have the mana fixing the birds provides.

So I think you've got a good start with birds of paradise into wooly thoctar but even though kird ape is a quality creature viable in all formats he's legal in I think it's a bit much to expect for this decklist. I'd adjust the creatures and mana base accordingly to center more around a birds of paradise start until you can afford to upgrade the mana base.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Well I decided to spend some time on google and star city and came up with the first part of the deck.

Land
4x evolving wilds 
4x jungle shrine
1x sunpetal grove
1x rootbound crag
1x clifftop retreat
17 basic land

Creatures
2x vexing devil
4x wild nacatl
4x birds of paradise
2x watchwolf
2x woolly thoctar
2x loxodon smiter
1x spellbreaker behemoth
1x armada wurm
1x primeval titan

Side deck possibilities (help or thoughts or other creatures?)
2x knotvine mystic
1x ball lightning
4x kird ape
2x thragtusk
2x wolfir silverhear

I had to order a few so I don't have them yet but I hope I have done well.  I had a whole bunch of hudge green creatures but they come with a huge mana cost and after a few games I learned  most times I was dead before I could even play them.  I think the above list gives me a good selection of creatures, abilities, and mana cost.  Feel free to critisize or recomend something different (I could use the help and have no idea if Iam way off)

I have a bunch of red/green/white spells and enchantments to go through next, then artifacts and hopefully I will have a competitive deck when Iam done.

thanks

Jason
quick question, does anybody think thundermaw hellkite would be a good addition to this deck?  I got it in a booster and can get good trade towards cards that would.

Thanks

Jason
Thundermaw is a good card that I would run multiples of if I had that kind of money. Considering what they're going for atm, though, it might be worth trading for other stuff.

I'm a bit at a loss for what to with your list atm. Do you want a midrangey Naya or a more aggro build. You're sort of stretching at both atm.

Knotvine Mystic I don't like at all, since getting gwr requires having gwr to drop it. That could have been a Smiter or Thoctar level threat instead. Ball Lightning is too red intensive.
Thundermaw is a good card that I would run multiples of if I had that kind of money. Considering what they're going for atm, though, it might be worth trading for other stuff.

I'm a bit at a loss for what to with your list atm. Do you want a midrangey Naya or a more aggro build. You're sort of stretching at both atm.

Knotvine Mystic I don't like at all, since getting gwr requires having gwr to drop it. That could have been a Smiter or Thoctar level threat instead. Ball Lightning is too red intensive.

I am new to the whole naya and aggro names (and the others) google tells me that naya means running red green white and aggro means an aggressive deck that deals damage till it wins.  Is this right?  why couldn't you combine those two?  What would I have to remove or add to get myself back on track?

As for what I want.  Just looking for a competitive casual deck that works well with each other.  I like how the sweet revenge deck I bought flowed and no matter how I shuffled it had good balance,  but it got boring just chucking cards in the graveyard then casting them to deal damage.  Thats why I picked green/red the big creatures and burn spells, then I saw how many multicolor cards gave you nice creatures at less mana but required plaines and I thought why not.  Maybe I bit off more than I can chew right now.

Thanks for the help

Jason
DON'T TRADE THE HELLKITE THOSE ARE BEAST. Other than that, Aggro means having cheaper creatures and spells so you can play fast and hit hard before your opponent knows what happend. I think one of the best ways to figure out what deck you want is to envision how the board looks when you're about to win. Do you just have a bunch of creatures smashing away? have you created a soft or hard lock (meaning, have you disabled some facet of your opponent's gameplay)? That really helps tell you what you're shooting for. I would swap out the vanilla creatures in your maindeck (creatures with no abilities). Thragtusk is insanely powerful and should go straight in your main deck, no question. Wooly Thoctar is great for his cost but he doesn't affect the board besides being big for his cost. Someone will come along and tell me I'm wrong but vanilla creatures generally aren't what you want.

trust me, the fact that you're playing Vexing Devil, Thragtusk and Thundermaw Hellkite would make most people jealous beyond belief.

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Your google-fu is right on. Naya is shorthand for rgw and aggro is focused on dealing damage as quickly as possible until it wins. My question was whether you're looking for a deck that is geared more towards early game domination via an aggro approach or a deck aimed more at midgame that has a higher curve ala Primevals/Craterhoof, etc. You can totally have a Naya aggro or Naya midrange, but card choices are going to be slightly different in some cases.

Skim www.starcitygames.com/article/25576_Brad... for an (albeit a bit pricey atm) comparison between deck lists.

edit: Just so it's clear, I'm not saying OMG BUY ALL THESE CARDS!!!! but, you know, look at the card choices for each strategy.
DON'T TRADE THE HELLKITE THOSE ARE BEAST. Other than that, Aggro means having cheaper creatures and spells so you can play fast and hit hard before your opponent knows what happend. I think one of the best ways to figure out what deck you want is to envision how the board looks when you're about to win. Do you just have a bunch of creatures smashing away? have you created a soft or hard lock (meaning, have you disabled some facet of your opponent's gameplay)? That really helps tell you what you're shooting for. I would swap out the vanilla creatures in your maindeck (creatures with no abilities). Thragtusk is insanely powerful and should go straight in your main deck, no question. Wooly Thoctar is great for his cost but he doesn't affect the board besides being big for his cost. Someone will come along and tell me I'm wrong but vanilla creatures generally aren't what you want.

trust me, the fact that you're playing Vexing Devil, Thragtusk and Thundermaw Hellkite would make most people jealous beyond belief.

Thanks for your thougts, lots to stew on for sure.  What your saying about the creatures makes sense.  If it helps with recomendations I would like to win quick but if my opponent takes that away I wanted to have some creatures that could bail me out.  I have about 30 burn spells inbound to choose from and will post when they get hear.  I tend to loose interest in long drawn out games, they are effective just not my thing.  

Your google-fu is right on. Naya is shorthand for rgw and aggro is focused on dealing damage as quickly as possible until it wins. My question was whether you're looking for a deck that is geared more towards early game domination via an aggro approach or a deck aimed more at midgame that has a higher curve ala Primevals/Craterhoof, etc. You can totally have a Naya aggro or Naya midrange, but card choices are going to be slightly different in some cases.

Skim www.starcitygames.com/article/25576_Brad... for an (albeit a bit pricey atm) comparison between deck lists.

edit: Just so it's clear, I'm not saying OMG BUY ALL THESE CARDS!!!! but, you know, look at the card choices for each strategy.

Thanks for the link, Iam new to the star city site and had not found that section.  I would say I would be geared towards an early game domination but would like some help for later if it didn't pan out. 

Thanks

Jason

Edit: Iam torn after looking over the decks in that link.  I thought I wanted to win early but the Naya midrange choice of cards appealed to me more????? 
Would I be correct if I assumed that since nobody has mentioned my new choices in land that I should be close to bang on with that?  You two have been a great help I appreciate it.

Jason 
I am new to the whole naya and aggro names (and the others) google tells me that naya means running red green white and aggro means an aggressive deck that deals damage till it wins.  Is this right?  why couldn't you combine those two?  What would I have to remove or add to get myself back on track?

Quick guide:

= Grixis
= Esper
= Bant
= Naya
= Jund

Naya is good at both aggro and midrange. In aggro you should be able to win by T4 (some Standard-legel decks can theoretically win by T3), if all goes according to plan. In midrange, you are able to put up a defense or otherwise control the tempo early on, so you can use cards with higher convert mana cost (CMC) later on, to give you your win condition.

Vexing Devil is strictly an aggro card. It's good for 4 damage early on, and not much more than that. If you play it after your opponent puts up a Boros Reckoner, for example, it doesn't do you much good. Even in an aggro deck, Vexing Devil is generally considered not a great choice, because of that limitation.

Armada Wurm conversely, at CMC=6, is much too expensive for an aggro deck. By the time you put it out, you will already have lost the game if you are facing an aggro deck, unless you have a way to stabilize. Common ways to stabilize include Loxodon Smiter, Centaur Healer, Restoration Angel, and Thragtusk.
Would I be correct if I assumed that since nobody has mentioned my new choices in land that I should be close to bang on with that?  You two have been a great help I appreciate it.

Jason 

I haven't gotten into land beyond my initial suggestion because that's the last step in my building process. It's hard to say what resources you need to run a deck before you have an actual outline for the deck.

Glad to help when I can. I've been working on a rendition of Naya Midrange w/Vintage restrictions for the last couple of weeks, so I'm still trying to work out an outline for myself. ;)
Watched the videos in that link then did some google reading and I see my main problem.  I just bought a whole bunch of cards that seemed really good without paying any attention to there symmetry within the deck.  I looked at there deck lists in the video and thought why would they play that card?  Then I watched the videos and seen how everything flows together.  

So my plan is to regroup, wait till all the cards show up and start over.  I will be doing another small order with star city so if you can think of any cards to help feel free to post them.  I decided on Naya aggro as what I wanted.

thanks 

jason

Happens more often than I'd like. The last deck I sat down to build split off into three. Starting fresh once the cards are in one place is good.

What kind of budget do you have to work with? Some of the pieces in either of those decks are a bit on the expensive side, at least as far as my wallet goes.
Budget is open to any suggestions with in reason ( no black lotus) Laughing I could but would have a hard time spending more than 25 on a single card.  I will likely use some of the cards in my lists that nolonger fit to off set the cost.  Just started to read about plains walkers man this game has changed since 1998
Mana Base - it is VERY important to have a strong mana base in a three color aggro list. This list is basically unplayable (competitively speaking) without ravnica dual lands or better. That means you need a playset of stomping ground, sacred foundry and temple garden (maybe not all 12 but probably at least 10). Additionally I would strongly consider at least arid mesa of the modern legal fetchlands if you're planning on playing modern. If you're planning to play vintage or legacy you want to consider the unlimited duals such as savannah. Considering that wild nacatl is banned in modern I assume you're going to be playing legacy or casual. Either way I strongly suggest upgrading your lands.

The reason these cards are so important is because wild nacatl and/or kird ape are weaklings if you start out with evolving wilds into jungle shrine while they're powerhouses if you start out with stomping ground into temple garden.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Mana Base - it is VERY important to have a strong mana base in a three color aggro list. This list is basically unplayable (competitively speaking) without ravnica dual lands or better. That means you need a playset of stomping ground, sacred foundry and temple garden (maybe not all 12 but probably at least 10). Additionally I would strongly consider at least arid mesa of the modern legal fetchlands if you're planning on playing modern. If you're planning to play vintage or legacy you want to consider the unlimited duals such as savannah. Considering that wild nacatl is banned in modern I assume you're going to be playing legacy or casual. Either way I strongly suggest upgrading your lands.

The reason these cards are so important is because wild nacatl and/or kird ape are weaklings if you start out with evolving wilds into jungle shrine while they're powerhouses if you start out with stomping ground into temple garden.

Yeah I have been learning that I went about this in the wrong way.  My main goal with this deck is strickly casual with friends.  After I get back into playing a bit I will work on a standard legal deck for FNM if I ever get the chance to play.  I have dropped the search for land till I get a definitive list of spells and then work out what I need.   I apreciate your help 

Jason 
Cards are here

Got my non creature spells (minus artifacts) all sorted out.  Have many more but these stood out.

Red
2x banefire
4x lightning bolt
2x mizzium mortars
2x molten influence
2x overmaster
2x Red sun's zenith
1x relentless assault
2x wild ricochet
2x thunderous wrath
2x thunderbolt
2x bonfire of the damned
1x heat wave
1x blaze
1x reverberate
1x combust

White
4x rebuff the wicked
4x dawn charm
4x divine deflection
2x divine favor
2x divine offering

green

4x rancor
2x reclaim
2x fog
1x spidery grasp
4x naturalize
1x overrun
2x titanic growth
4x verdant haven
4x rampant growth
4x farseek
2x blanchwood armor

multi color
2x heroes' reunion
2x ground assault
1x mirari's wake

what should make the main deck/side deck and what should I scrap?  Also did I miss anything vital?

Thanks

Jason
Ok got some cards today and did alot of reading,  thinking these creatures make the cut

4x birds of paradise
3x wild nacatl Cant decide if this should be another mana producing one drop creature instead
3x loxodon smiter

Creatures I have but not sure if they fit
4x arbor elf Not sure with this one but had them here from the thrive and thrash deck
3x vexing devil I like this card but not sure if it fits the deck (thoughts ?)
4x kird ape bought this set when I figured he was really good but just not sure of that anymore
1x primeval titan Just to high of cost I think to be viable
2x Woolly thoctar Good stats, good cost, but no abilities just wonder if I could do better
2x watchwolf thought this was a great card 3/3 for two mana but think hes outclassed by wild nacatl and vexing devil and they are both 1 drops
2x thragtusk only concern is a cost of 5 but wonder if he's just too good not to put in
2x restoration angel really think the above means a great one two punch but wonder if cloudshift will do the same with a cost of 1
2x wolfir silverheart I think he's really really good but at a cost of 5 just wonder again if he fits.
1x thundermaw hellkite He looks great for the cost but just wonder if there is any point in only running 1 in a deck and don't see myself spending the coin to get more.  plus his trade in value would help go along way to filling out the rest of my creatures.

So three questions 
1- Is there any in the above list that should make the main deck or sideboard?
2- With the creatures I have availiable should I switch to a midrange and loose the focus on aggro?
3- What creatures would fill out my deck that I don't currently have?  thinking a cost of 4 or less with a good ability and stats

I was reading about planeswalkers and they are just too neat not to try one (the concept is brand new to me)
Iam thinking sarkhan vol or chandra nalaar would fit right in. so I have two questions with regards to them
1- Would they fit my deck?
2- If yes should I run one of each in the main deck or run two of one in the main deck and two of the other in the side deck?

I have no problem trading in any of the above cards if it makes my deck stronger and more cohesive so we don't have to make what I have work.

Thanks for any help in advance (and patience)

Jason

Went through the magic image gallery for any 4 or less cards that I think could help.  Only got through multi color and my eyes got sore Laughing  thoughts on the below cards
qasali ambusher
ghor-clan rampager
mycoid shepherd
boros reckoner
Short on time atm, but I'll try to dig into this a bit more tonight.

Ghor-Clan Rampager is great. Boros Reckoner gets worse the more non-damage removal your opps have access to. I like the idea of the Ambusher, but I'm not sure how it works in practice. Mycoid Shepherd, of course, varies in mileage depending on the other dudes in your deck. I think you can do better.
I appreciate it. iam gone to work but picked up 18 boosters on the way to pass the time. so far its looking grim but still fun opening them.  Got an expensive land i wanted and about 25 in trade cards but no creatures or spells that would help this deck.  i look forward to your suggestions.

there are just way too many cards out there my eyes are going numb from trying to filter them out.  I took way too many years off. 

there are just way too many cards out there my eyes are going numb from trying to filter them out.  I took way too many years off. 

The best way to get used to cards is to play lots of Magic. After a while you will know most of them, at least if you limit yourself to Standard.

We play pack wars when we open booster packs, which is another great way of getting to know the cards.

If you stick to the current block, that should cut down the number of cards dramatically, and also make them more obtainable.

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
So, getting back to this...

- Birds of Paradise I think definitly makes the cut. I don't think Avacyn's Pilgrim is going in swinging anyway, and this provides more flexible mana production.

- Loxodon Smiter I like. Undercosted beef (or whatever you call elephants) with bonuses is good.

- Wild Nacatl/Kird Ape I don't know what to do with. I think the Nacatl is probably a loss unless you want to invest in shocklands. I've never been particularly impressed with Kird Ape, but it has made competitive appearances, for what it's worth. Loam Lion is also a thing in case you want to double your fun.

- Arbor Elf is solid. I'm not sure you need quite so much accel, though. I see non-green mana production being more of a problem.

- Vexing Devil I don't have first hand experience with, but falls into the same camp as Browbeat, which I do have some experience with. IMO, it's a lose/lose for opp, but I've heard mixed opinions.

- Primeval Titan/Thragtusk/Restoration angel/Wolfir Silverheart are all solid, but I think better suited to a midrange.

- Woolly Thoctar/Watchwolf are solid. I'm not sure if the rgw is going to be as easy to pull off as you want to run the Thoctar. I would strongly consider the Wolf, though. I may just be too attached to it, but I think it still stands up today.

- I agree with the Hellkite. I personally don't like running 1's of anything without good reason.

I'm a bad person to give opinion on planeswalkers, imo. I have limited play experience with anything but Koth of the Hammer, other than blowing my opp's pw's up.

To be continued...
Red:

- Banefire/Red Sun's Zenith/Bonfire of the Damned/Blaze you generally want some significant amount of mana to dump into, usually as a finisher that can alt as spot removal. Again, more midrange to control territory.

- Lightning Bolt is fantastic. Spot removal that alts as a finisher. I'd run it md.

- Mizzium Mortars is solid. Obviously loses value the fewer creatures your opp runs. Metagame dependent, I'd probably maindeck it.

- Molten Influence, like Dash Hopes tends not to be as useful as it may appear. Unless opp is at 4 or less, they'll take the damage if it matters.

- Overmaster will likely not have enough spells to work with to matter.

- Relentless Assault is killer. That said, see my 1 of policy under the Hellkite entry in the previous post.

- Wild Richochet/Reverberate are highly situational. I don't think they have a place here.

- Sans deck manipulation, I think Thunderous Wrath is too expensive.

- Thunderbolt I'm not a fan of unless you find an overabundance of flying opposition.

- Heat Wave/Combust may have a place. Again, I don't think it's this deck. Maybe Combust in the sideboard, meta depending.
White:

- Rebuff the Wicked is rarely worth the card slots even in a white deck, imo.

- I love Dawn Charm, but for a Fog effect, I'd probably prefer Moment's Peace with access to green. Intimidation Bolt is probably a better fit for this deck, if that kind of thing makes the cut.

- Divine Deflection is mana hungry. I'd rather run a Blaze variant with access to red. Like I said about those in the red post, though, midrange to control.

- Divine Favor I don't favor :P. Aura's for your own dudes are something to be very careful about. Rancor or Angelic Destiny level are solid, this is far below either.

- Divine Offering is ok. Sideboard material if you find problems with artifacts. Terashi's Grasp also kills enchantments for 1 more.
Green:

- Rancor. Yes. With Smiter/Watchwolf/etc., you should be getting value out of Rancor.

- Reclaim. Not for this deck.

- Fog. See my Dawn Charm entry.

- Spidery Grasp. Meh.

- Naturalize for the sideboard, maybe. Would be in place of Terashi's Grasp, etc, if so.

- Overrun. I'd maybe be looking at Garruk Wildspeaker instead.

- Titanic Growth/Blanchwood Armor don't have a place here, imo.

- Verdant Haven/Rampant Growth/Farseek are more suited for midrange/control where you need to hit the higher cc stuff earlier. Would probably skip unless you go that route.

Gold:

- I'm not sure when I'd use Heroes' Reunion outside of a lifegain deck. I'd rather have a Fog effect most of the time.

- Ground Assault. Another meh. It could be good. I prefer more flexibility with one shot damage.

- Mirari's Wake is another great card...in another deck. Ramp, rampity ramp. Better filled with a card that has impact earlier, unless you really need a bunch o' mana

To be continued later, when I can get my head on straight. ;)
Wow you put in way more effort than expected and I apreciate it.  I was driving home after a 12hour round trip and thought I would stop in at the local store and ended up with a booster box of both Gatecrash and Avacyn restored.  He made me an offer I couldn't refuse.  the good news is I got..
2x sacred foundry
1x stomping ground
4x boros guildgate
4x gruul guildgate
I also got these which I plan to turn into either stomping ground, sacred foundry or temple garden
1x breeding pool
1x godless shrine

The other good news is I got enough trade bait of cards I know I won't use to pay for the one box.  The bad news is I got a ridiculous amound of copies of the common and uncommon cards in those sets.  I also got these cards and wondered your opinion before there traded

cavern of souls
aurelia's fury
boros reckoner
ghor-clan rampager I know you said you like him just wondering if he should go in the deck I got 3-4 of them I believe.

So it looks like these so far.

Creatures
4x birds of paradise
4x vexing devil Iam going to try them.  If they take the damage it's like a lightning bolt and if they don't a 4/3 creature for 1 aint bad
4x loxodon smiter He's just too good for the $4 another one will cost I'll just run 4 (unless theres a reason not too.

Other spells
4x lightning bolt
2x mizzium mortars
4x rancor

Sideboard
naturalize

Nice score with the shocks.

- Cavern of Souls is a nice counter counter. The way this is headed, it's going to be too much of a mixed bag of creature types to do anything. Something like a Humans deck or a more uniform creature selection would maybe want it metagame depending.

- Aurelia's Fury. Love this thing. Instant speed damage you can split however you like with more stapled on!! You can see the reason for the price tag. Has the same problem as other X spells, though. It's mana hungry.

- Boros Reckoner is a cute card in standard. In a format with access to so much more damage-free removal, he loses a lot of power. That said, he's still a 3/3 for 3 with optional first strike. I'm torn, but he is on my hit list if his price tanks. I'm not sure he's worth his price tag.

- My opinion on the Rampager stands. I really like the flexibility of one shot/efficient dude. I'd run 4.

Looks good so far.

Addressing the "should I switch to midrange" question earlier, I don't know what to say. With a slower deck plan, you can get away with a cheaper land base. Aggro doesn't want to be staring down lands that keep coming into play tapped, while midrange/control can often play around that. Like you saw with the aggro vs midrange deck lists, it's also a different take on card selection. Since you appear to have some of the more pricey creatures from the midrange list, you might be able to put together a midrange in addition to the aggro without too much trouble, if you were so inclined.
First question is what do you think of this card? serra's blessing I figure it would be nice to just keep attacking with everything without having to worry about leaving blockers.  Also got a bunch of martial glory

Second is about the land.  I will have enough trade bait ($150ish) when I go in and Iam done with boosters, so I will be trading for individuals to finish up the deck.  So for land I have a question when I trade in these ones.
cavern of souls
breeding pool
godless shrine
What do I get?
temple garden
stomping ground
sunpetal grove
rootbound crag
clifftop retreat
Do I really need full set's of shocklands when I got rid of the wild nacatl?  I was thinking two of each shock land then fill out with sets of 4 of the other three as long as it's not my first land play they shouldn't come into play tapped.  Or do I even need the shocklands with this deck?

So the creatures are close to done then (I hope)
4x birds of paradise
4x vexing devil
4x loxodon smiter
4x ghor-clan rampager
2x sarkhan vol  
4x? could run another set of something if creatures are more suited to aggro then spells.  Does the woolly thoctar have a place again with shocklands and dual mana lands?

Other spells
4x lightning bolt
2x mizzium mortars
4x rancor
2x relentless assault got another one just think it could be vital to success with this quick hitting creature deck
2x thunderous wrath might get lucky and miracle it?????

Was looking at naya decks online and seen a few cards that were kind of cool.
boartusk liege
cliffrunner behemoth
thrun, the last troll
shivan wurm
spellbreaker behemoth

Sign In to post comments