A Card That Tickled My Fancy: Sicklehead Peak

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sicklehead Peak
Land
, : Put a storage counter on Sicklehead Peak.
, Remove any number of storage counters from Sicklehead Peak: Add to your mana pool for each storage counter removed this way.
, sacrifice Sicklehead Peak: Create a legendary 5/5 red Avatar creature token with haste and first strike named Gen-Shivol, Guardian of the Pass.

lots of words. but probably mythic so I can go down a font size if I want. I went with the red one because it was the first name I came up with and also it's easy to make a big red token 'cause red gets like 2 keywords but this is obvsteaks a cycle. I originally had this etb tapped but switched to charging for the counters to save a line of text.

if I wanted to be more adventurous with the body I could see 6/2 with the first strike. I sized the token a little on the cautious side because storage lands are already good. on the other hand 10 mana is still a lot. 

< Revel Pit

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

For some reason, I had to look again to see that it didn't create a Dragon.
Powerful.
Doesn't tap for mana, which is a pretty big issue.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!

, Remove any number of storage counters from Sicklehead Peak: Add to your mana pool for each storage counter removed this way.

Yeah, I know, but it still doesn't fit the model of a modern land.

Modern storage lands still have ": Add to your mana pool." at least.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)

just because they did it on pools doesn't mean it's necessary. it just means they did it on pool. although with the precedent of pool I could probably strip the cost from the counter. I don't want to, though.

anyway. lands need to make mana. they don't need to make it right now. the fact that they usually do is a matter of convenience and simplicity, not necessity. for me arguing way too much about this topic, see here.

Create

192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Create

shorter wording!

Unless you're making use of combo pieces, the land can only "store" mana rather than "produce" mana.. That's why I agree with Dr_Demento, because that's a pretty large difference!

By that logic, Evolving Wilds doesn't fit modern land philosophy. WOTC never said that a land has to have mana abilities. They said that the purpose of lands is to aid in payments. That's why Verdant Catacombs and Eye of Ugin were printable: they both get you there. They only want to avoid Maze of Ith and Arena type lands.

Hidden Reserve
Land
: Untap target basic land.

This is an acceptible modern design. It helps with payments.

Unless you're making use of combo pieces, the land can only "store" mana rather than "produce" mana.. That's why I agree with Dr_Demento, because that's a pretty large difference!

That eye roll suggests that you're being sarcastic about Dr_Demento, but the rest of the comment sort of doesn't? Anyway, it clearly produces mana. It might use storage to do this, but it gets there none-the-less.

All this said, I like the idea of this card, but not so much the execution. I bet there's a better way to get there than the old ways.
Unless I'm horribly miskaten, the card requires you to pay colorless mana to produce just as much red mana, that's only mana-fixing..
Unless I'm horribly miskaten, the card requires you to pay colorless mana to produce just as much red mana, that's only mana-fixing..

That's true. It still fulfills the proposed need of lands: to aid in casting and paying for stuff.
Eh, Eye of Urgin still feels wrong to me. I get that lands don't have to directly produce mana, (Vesuva if you want to add to the list), and that a better way to word Wizard's policy might be, "Lands must interact with mana production"(Although that still doesn't cover Eye of Urgin), but in the end this card feels wrong  to me much in the same way that the Eye does: it feels more like an artifact than a land. Maybe its technically correct, but my gut is grumpy about it.
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:

Well, it is more than mana fixing, it also ramps (slowly). Storage lands are actually pretty powerful in the right deck, but this is heavy on the storage and light on the land.
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
When ignoring things like power levels, would you guess that Shimmering Grotto + Dreadship Reef are printable without the first ability?

it's not fixing, it's storage.

When ignoring things like power levels, would you guess that Shimmering Grotto + Dreadship Reef are printable without the first ability?

With a bit of a power ramp, ya. The colorless mana production feels there in each instance so the land isn't horrible.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]