Best/Favorite Uses of Corellon's Boon of Arcane Might?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
So my DM is allowing us to choose a divine boon of level 10 or below, and this one in particular has caught my interest.  It seems like there could be some really awesome uses of this, as it doesn't have a type or level limit, so I'm wondering what your guys' strongest or most fun uses of this boon are.

Also, which powers would synergize well with a battlefield archer ranger? 
Aegis of Assault is a perennial favorite. Hardly breaking new ground, but very entertaining when it works.
Aegis of Assault is a perennial favorite. Hardly breaking new ground, but very entertaining when it works.

That wouldn't work very well with a battlefield archer ranger, though.

Really, a battlefield archer is probably the wrong class to use to poach arcane powers, because you don't have any other use for INT or CHA.  So you're pretty much going to be restricted here to at-will utility powers, skald "stances" (which don't work without the aura anyway), binder and hexblade boons, wizard cantrips, and powers without attack rolls, like Magic Missile or Storm Pillar.

Of those choices, Hidden Lore, Soul Step, Ethereal Sidestep, Familiar Harrier, and Dominant Winds are probably my favorites.

For the daily encounter power level 3 or lower, I would probably take a level 2 utility power.  The no-attack-roll "attacks" are almost always bad picks even for a wizard, and are terrrible compared to twin strike. The skald encounter powers are pretty nifty, but unfortunately the no-action ones require that you hit with a basic attack, rather than twin strike. If you have a warlord or shaman granting you off-turn RBAs often, then they're not bad options, but lesser dimensional step doesn't add an extra attack like the higher leveled versions do.  The minor action level 3 skald encounter powers aren't bad, but as a daily? CA and +2 damage for a round isn't that impressive as a daily. And neither are any of the sorcerer, wizard, warlock, artificer, or swordmage level 2 utilities.

Or, if your DM allowed it (which he shouldn't, since it has no level), you could poach Skald Aura itself, for 2 heals one encounter/day. 

The 8th level version of the boon gives you an at-will as an encounter power and a 3rd level encounter power as a daily.  Nothing about taking a 2nd level one instead.  Relative to OP that makes it tough (ie useless) to use with an archer build.  But maybe the DM would let you use Dex for the attack...

I've used the boon to take sword burst or magic weapon as the at-will choice for swordmage/warlord builds.  For an archer any single target attack could be reflavored as an arcane archer like ability.  Even a burst power could...

Dimensional Vortex for the 3rd level is awesome and is ranged so that would be cool for a archer.

Literally reading the boon means you choose the 3rd level power when you use the daily power which allows for you to take a 3rd level power that fits your situation, so you can choose your elemental type, condition rider, etc.  Or something like Radiant Pillar vs undead.

Literally reading the boon means you choose the 3rd level power when you use the daily power which allows for you to take a 3rd level power that fits your situation, so you can choose your elemental type, condition rider, etc.

That's not just the RAW, it's the RAI.
Protip: Don't do that It slows things down SERIOUSLY. Just pick a couple good ones.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Protip: Don't do that It slows things down SERIOUSLY. Just pick a couple good ones.

That is more of an amateur tip, a pro would know all the powers available that made any sense for them to use, have a handy reference for the wording of all of them complete with their stats factored in, and it wouldn't take them any longer to use that power then it normally takes them to use a power.

I realize this probably happens more at tables that use a stop watch to time people's turns, but it such a level of proficiency does in fact exist.

That is more of an amateur tip, a pro would know all the powers available that made any sense for them to use, have a handy reference for the wording of all of them complete with their stats factored in, and it wouldn't take them any longer to use that power then it normally takes them to use a power.

I realize this probably happens more at tables that use a stop watch to time people's turns, but it such a level of proficiency does in fact exist.

Wow way to be a dick and take it literally. Props.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

Wow way to be a dick and take it literally. Props.

I take all dicks as literal props.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Hum... 

Anyway, Wizards have some ok encounter powers that don't require a hit roll or have a good effect anyway regardless of hitting. Charm of Misplaced Wrath, Radiant Pillar, Phantom Foes, Hold Monster and especially Mass Charm are powers you can think about using.

Except for the Charm powers, they don't synergize with striking very well, but the beauty of Corellon's Boon is that you don't have to choose the power when you get the boon. You can choose it when you use the boon. So effectively, you have all arcane powers at your fingertips...
Hum... 

Anyway, Wizards have some ok encounter powers that don't require a hit roll or have a good effect anyway regardless of hitting. Charm of Misplaced Wrath, Radiant Pillar, Phantom Foes, Hold Monster and especially Mass Charm are powers you can think about using.

Except for the Charm powers, they don't synergize with striking very well, but the beauty of Corellon's Boon is that you don't have to choose the power when you get the boon. You can choose it when you use the boon. So effectively, you have all arcane powers at your fingertips...

Phantom Foes until you get Mass Charm.  Then Mass Charm forever more.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Hum... 

Phantom Foes until you get Mass Charm.  Then Mass Charm forever more.

Quoth the Matyr, forevermore.

I have the 8th level version of this boon on a level 6 hybrid warlock/bard, split Int/Cha with a melee build, and I think it is just awesome.  The at will was a toss up between Sword Burst and Beguiling Strands; I went with the later because the party doesn't have much control.  I may retrain at some point.  

The real strength of the daily power to poach an encounter ability is its flexibility.  I play with the compendium up and put in keywords to find the right power to match the tactical situation.  Friendly burst or blast, check.  I need some forced movement, got it.  Fire elementals, one cold spell coming up.  I need to teleport, here we go.  This boon makes a wizard's spellbook look silly as a free action.

Another excellent boon is Avandra's Boon of Escape; a conditional shift of a at least two and a daily teleport.
Aside from the ability to swap something expended for something unexpended, or swap an Encounter power for a Daily, the Wizard's Spellbook IS silly and useless because specialization is far better than gimped versatility. Nobody who understands the game will ever change out spellbook powers except utilities, or when the party makeup changes drastically (Bunch of Melee People? Succubus > Mirage)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
The spellbook would be non-useless if you could swap on-the-fly rather than having to choose at the beginning of the day.  The problem with the spellbook isn't that versatility sucks, it's that the spellbook doesn't actually give you any.
Eh, it would still be useless. Maybe the Mage version wouldn't be, since there's actually multiple valid encounter power choices at most levels. Dailies? not so much.

Entirely possible I'll get proven wrong here by some class at epic where I don't know their powers, but I'll bet there's not a single non-leader for whom being able to pick between 2 dailies on the fly (as opposed to start of day) is meaningful.

Meaningful Versatility would be "You can expend a Daily Attack power to regain the use of a Daily or Encounter Attack Power of lower level"
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Single-target vs AOE is an easy one.