Blue White Defender

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
The goal of the deck is pretty simple, hold off attacks long enough to activate Luminarch Ascension or one of the Planeswalker ultimates with defender creatures. Celestial Colonnade can help as an extra win condition and blocker if needed that is resistant to board sweepers.

I think 4 of both planeswalkers might be overdoing it a bit, 2 of each would work decently enough.

Azorius Charm is a decent card you might want to consider adding, you can cycle it or return a creature to the top of there deck thats pretty awsome!

Doorkeeper is a decent defender that could give a secondary wincon in slow games.

Blind Obedience is a great control card that gives extort.
Thanks for the suggestions, I totally forgot about Doorkeeper.
Not sure Wall of Denial makes the cut... but it was one of the first I thought of.  Harder to bolt than a gomazoa or a fog bank
rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
Both your flying defenders have really low toughness, making them very vulnerable to brun so maybe go Stalwart Shield-Bearers. none of the walkers ultimates you chose are really game winners, so maybe try something else (Jace Beleren if you wanna keep Doorkeeper as a wincon?. Gideon Jura (maybe with Lightmine Filed?)).try The Wall!
Doorkeeper isn't good. If you have 7 creatures in the board, you are tapping a creature and paying 3 mana to play Mind Sculpt, that's not good. Wall of Denial is a must run in this deck and should replace Wall of Frost. I like this idea a lot. Both Gideons could be win conditions, Celestial Colonnade is a great choice, as is new Jace, but both of those aren't very budget friendly I've always had bad experiences with Luminarch Ascension and I find it gets blown up before it goes off.

No Counters? Couldn't hurt to run Negate. Sun Droplet gives you an answer to burn. Immortal Servitude gets your walls back.
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
I've got an Luminarch Ascension draft and its very different from this one. This deck has got alot of flaws, no offense. For example, One Lava Spike sets you back a turn for your Luminarch Ascension. A Chandra Firebrand that keeps on pinging you for 1 can basically ruin your game if you don't O-Ring him quick enough. Damage can be dealt thorugh attacks AND spells.

To make sure no damage is dealt to you, you could always use Psychic Possession + Solitary Confinement or Silence on Isochron Specter plus Grand Abolisher plus your blockers. 

Also, you need proliferate. Tezzert's Gambit would work as card draw, and Contagion Clasp would also double as a onesided sweeper (maybe). Some other cards like Leyline of Sanctity can help further protect you. 

This are some major changes you would have to take, It might not look like the orgianl idea you wanted it to be. Idk, do what you want.
Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
I agree with pretty much everything BobbertZhubert went over, I didn't recommend Leyline of Sanctity because it costs way too much money now a days but it would be good. I really think Luminarch Ascension is one of those cards that looks good on paper but isn't really that great. Proliferation is possbile, but I always thought it was too slow. I think you are better off winning with Gideon 1.0 and and man lands, maybe new Jace. 
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
Alright, I switched out the Guard Gomazoa for Wall of Denial

No offense taken. I already knew this deck would have a bad matchup against burn but you can't really be good against everything. Since this was only in casual, I could just play a different deck if my friends want to try using a burn deck. Either way, I switched out some cards for a playset of Leyline of Sanctity to help against both burn and mill. If I can't find the card for a decent price, I could always just throw Story Circle in the deck, which I own a playset of, instead.

I tend to play a lot of 2vs2 games so Luminarch Ascension is usually pretty easy to activate. Against pretty much anything other than red, the Luminarch usually works fine in 1vs1 games too.

I don't really want to go into a proliferate thing because that's pretty much a different deck entirely. Anyways, if I wanted a deck that I felt would win more, I think I would replace the walls with Tangle, Moment's Peace, Spore Cloud and Make a Wish. Together with the Leyline, I think it would be really tough to get through.
That is the point. You got to switch it up quite a bit for this to be effective. 
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
The deck you are talking about is called Turbo Fog, which basically stalls by using fog effects and board wipes until you win with a Planeswalker or mill out your opponent, look into Turbo Fog, and don't run Make a Wish, that's a bad card, lol.
Safe Passage might be a decent option. If you're not playing standard or modern, you could always got with Moment of Silence but then your opponent's creatures are in a position to defend, rather than tapped and dealing no damage (like with Fog) As its been said, look up turbofog decks and go from there. Nice going with the new Jace too. My friend has one and in a casual game where we use lots of big creatures, he can definitely do some work.

Newbs! Ask me your questions but always question my answers ;)

EDH decks I play:

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4025591

I dunno Bobbert, it kind of seems like you're suggesting to scrap the entire deck and just make a completely different one. I did make the change to Leyline of Sanctity like you suggested, but chaning too much more would just be throwing away the original idea of making a defender deck. I'm not really aiming for the most effective deck possible, the point of the deck was to build a fun casual deck that used a lot of defender creatures that I like. That being said, I don't think it's really helping much to say that pretty much everything has to be changed about the deck.

I'm not really interested in net-decking but I could look through some of the turbofog decks for some inspiration. I really like making decks with underused cards and try to find a way to make them work. It just means a lot more to me to win games with cards I enjoy instead of just falling back on tournament staples for every deck.

As for Make a Wish, I actually think it can be really good in certain decks. I really like the fact that it can return copies of itself to your hand from the graveyard. In a deck like that, the 2/1 body that Eternal Witness gives you doesn't make up for the extra card you get back. Since most of the spells are pretty similar, the randomness shouldn't matter much either. Once you get into the late game and your wishes start reviving other wishes, it can pretty much lock out an opponent's combat.
If you really want to focus on a defender deck, the best way to go would be Doran, the Siege Tower and Rolling Stones. Idk, just defenders and using Luminarch Ascension is not good. I know its just a casual idea deck, but it has to be actually viable and actually work. 
Like I said before, I've tested Luminarch Ascension many times in our playgroup and it works fine. We play a lot of 2 vs 2 games so it's twice as easy to activate in those games.
If you deck works well in your playgroup, why post it here for higher level critique, which you do not seem to accept?
Did you not read what I just said? I said I've tested Luminarch Ascension many times in our playgroup, not the deck. I'm still not seeing how even after the Leyline of Sanctity, you seem to think the deck is incapable of preventing damage. I do really appreciate the suggestion and I think the Leyline will definitely help a lot with the weaknesses you pointed out.

I try to avoid things that would take all the fun away from the people playing, which is why I'm not a huge fan of Isochron Scepter or Solitary Confinement combos. I'd like the games to at least be somewhat interactive and not just force somebody to concede if they don't have artifact or enchantment removal.

I've also already taken several suggestions from posters here:

1) Originally I took out a few cards to add Doorkeeper, which then everybody told me was bad so I removed it.
2) I replaced Guard Gomazoa with Wall of Denial because people made a good agument for it.
3) I took YOUR suggestion and added Leyline of Sanctity, which I agree should help quite a bit against anything other than combat.

As for the Doran, the Siege Tower and Rolling Stones idea, I've already tried that and failed miserably. The problem is that you need both Doran and Rolling Stones out (along with your defender creatures) to actually be a win condition. Far too often one of the two of them is destroyed and the other becomes useless. Doran is really good, but I think he's better off with higher toughess creatures that can actually attack on their own without the help from an enchantment.

I'm fully accepting of listening to critique and taking suggestions but I'm not really appreciating the condescending tone you've been giving me. I've most likely been playing the game for a lot longer than you have so I don't get what makes your suggestions "higher level" than my own ideas. So far you've pretty much said nothing but tell me the entire idea is bad and I should just make a new deck. Just because I don't want to scrap the whole deck, you assume that I'm not willing to take any critique and suggestions? The point of critiquing is to help somebody out with an idea, not tell them it's not viable and make something else.

I'll try to give an example to explain the problem I'm having here: Let's say I made a topic about a casual Snake deck. What you seem to be doing is saying "Snakes are bad, play Elves instead." That doesn't really count as constructive criticism.
Did you not read what I just said? I said I've tested Luminarch Ascension many times in our playgroup, not the deck. I'm still not seeing how even after the Leyline of Sanctity, you seem to think the deck is incapable of preventing damage. I do really appreciate the suggestion and I think the Leyline will definitely help a lot with the weaknesses you pointed out.

I try to avoid things that would take all the fun away from the people playing, which is why I'm not a huge fan of Isochron Scepter or Solitary Confinement combos. I'd like the games to at least be somewhat interactive and not just force somebody to concede if they don't have artifact or enchantment removal.

I've also already taken several suggestions from posters here:

1) Originally I took out a few cards to add Doorkeeper, which then everybody told me was bad so I removed it.
2) I replaced Guard Gomazoa with Wall of Denial because people made a good agument for it.
3) I took YOUR suggestion and added Leyline of Sanctity, which I agree should help quite a bit against anything other than combat.

As for the Doran, the Siege Tower and Rolling Stones idea, I've already tried that and failed miserably. The problem is that you need both Doran and Rolling Stones out (along with your defender creatures) to actually be a win condition. Far too often one of the two of them is destroyed and the other becomes useless. Doran is really good, but I think he's better off with higher toughess creatures that can actually attack on their own without the help from an enchantment.

I'm fully accepting of listening to critique and taking suggestions but I'm not really appreciating the condescending tone you've been giving me. I've most likely been playing the game for a lot longer than you have so I don't get what makes your suggestions "higher level" than my own ideas. So far you've pretty much said nothing but tell me the entire idea is bad and I should just make a new deck. Just because I don't want to scrap the whole deck, you assume that I'm not willing to take any critique and suggestions? The point of critiquing is to help somebody out with an idea, not tell them it's not viable and make something else.

I'll try to give an example to explain the problem I'm having here: Let's say I made a topic about a casual Snake deck. What you seem to be doing is saying "Snakes are bad, play Elves instead." That doesn't really count as constructive criticism.

Thank you. That really helped clear things out. I'll check out your deck list and seem what I can suggest when I have some free time. 
So you want to be stalling the game for quite a lot of time. Right? So like a Blue/White control deck.

I would suggest you add some more control cards to be able to stop you opponents from playing big bombs. I would include counterspells like Negate and Mana Leak. If a person who plays a deck without a ton of creatures you are at quite a disadvantage since wall can only prevent creatures. 

You are also missing one key element for control, card draw that bring you card advantage. Once again, Tezzerts's Gambit is nice, and its okay if that is your only proliferate spell. You also got dozens of other blue card draw spells ranging from cheap ones like Preordain to some heavier card draw like Jace's Ingenuity. I don't know what would fit the best since I don't know all of them. Do some research and see what you can find. 

Another thing I would suggest you to is switch up your planeswalkers. New Gideon is not very good, and is only good agaisnt creature heavy decks, which your walls can handle. In other situations he is pretty mediorce. New Jace not the best either and his ultimate might not win the game since you don't have any super big bombs that can instantly win you games. There aren't too many budget option for good planeswalkers (are you on budget?), but I would suggest Jace Beleren and Gideon Jura instead. Jace Beleren helps out with much needed card draw, and his ult can act as a Alt Wincon with Doorkeeper. Gideon Jura can help shut down you opponents creatures and he won't get hurt since you got defenders to block with. He can also help with much needed creature removal too. Definetly run Tamiyo, the Moon Sage if you can afford the 25$ price tag. 

Hope this helps.
You could also use Ludevic's Test Subject --> Ludevic's Abomination since it follows the theme of defender, works with Proliferate, and is a fun card for a casual deck.
What about just amping up the defense even more? Castle and stuff like that. Maybe some indestructible stuff like Darksteel Myr or Rootborn Defenses?

EDH decks I play:

What about just amping up the defense even more? Castle and stuff like that. Maybe some indestructible stuff like Darksteel Myr or Rootborn Defenses?

Does not sound like too good of an idea. He needs to focus on the wincon Luminarch Ascension here more. You got to be able to effectivly activate it. 
I just meant in terms of making it more "defensive"...

EDH decks I play:

Its not a wall but could work with the theme Azor's Elocutors, sit behind your walls and win!
Yes, I understood what you meant. Deck is defensive enough since he is running lots and lots of walls. Instead making room for extra defense on an all ready plentiful amount of defense, he should add cards to help him be able to activate Luminarch Ascension quicker and easier so he can actually win the game.
Yes, I understood what you meant. Deck is defensive enough since he is running lots and lots of walls. Instead making room for extra defense on all ready a plentiful amount of defense, he should add cards to help him be able to activate Luminarch Ascension quicker and easier so he can actually win the game. 

indeed. I also like the idea of Azor's Elocutors. You could try some proliferation to get the Luminarch Ascention going quicker as well.

EDH decks I play:

Its not a wall but could work with the theme Azor's Elocutors, sit behind your walls and win!

That could work as an Alt Wincon and is dealing with counters so it works with proliferate. Idk, OP does not want to change the deck idea too much.
Azor's Elocutors would be a really good idea if I were more proliferate heavy. The main problem I have with him is that he actually gets significantly worse in 2 vs 2 games where Luminarch Ascension gets much better. I usually play a mix of 1 vs 1 games and 2 vs 2 games so I always try to build decks that can perform okay in both situations.

Okay, I made a few changes:

-3 Gideon, Champion of Justice
-3 Jace, Architect of Thought
-1 Luminarch Ascension
-1 Wall of Denial

+2 Jace Beleren
+2 Gideon Jura
+2 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
+2 Tezzeret's Gambit

This group of Planeswalkers is actually the one I like to use in my turbo fog decks. The reason the new Gideon was in the deck was because I thought the card looked really fun to use and this seemed like the type of deck he would be most useful in. I would think he would want to be in a deck that is capable of holding off multiple creatures without actually removing them from play. I do get what you're saying about only being useful against creature decks so I guess I can make the change.
The changes look excellent. I still would keep a playset of Luminarch Ascension since you need to be able to draw it as its your only wincon. Also, I would keep a playset of Wall of Denial. In addition, I would suggest you to cut 2 plains and 2 islands and run a playset of Glacial Fortress for help in mana fixing. Once again, you need Negate pretty badly. I would actually cut some walls, 15-17 should be enough to stop creatures, for some Negates. 

I'm really liking the deck so far. Actually, any deck using the Gideon Jura + Tamiyo, the Moon Sage combo is one I like. :D

EDIT: I would also run a playset of Tezzeret's Gambit but you do not seem to like it too much.