Melira, Sylvok Outcast and it's effects

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
When using  Melira, Sylvok Outcast would you not be able to cast scarscale ritual?  Or even something like devoted druid, can i attempt to put a -1/-1 counter on it to untap it, or does Melira negate that ability? barrenton medic, would i be able to untap him with melira out?

Also, assuming that cards like voracious hatchling would come into play with all four of his -1/-1 counters on it since it's technically not being placed on a creature?

Thanks all.
-B
When using  Melira, Sylvok Outcast would you not be able to cast scarscale ritual?  Or even something like devoted druid, can i attempt to put a -1/-1 counter on it to untap it, or does Melira negate that ability? barrenton medic, would i be able to untap him with melira out?

All of these will be unplayable if you control melira, since you cannot pay the cost of the spell or ability.
Also, assuming that cards like voracious hatchling would come into play with all four of his -1/-1 counters on it since it's technically not being placed on a creature?

On the contrary, it will not enter the battlefield with any -1/-1 counters.
121.6. If a spell or ability refers to a counter being "placed" on a permanent, it means putting a counter on that permanent while it's on the battlefield, or that permanent entering the battlefield with a counter on it as the result of an effect (see rule 614.1c).

you can't pay costs that include putting -1/-1 counters on creatures, so it will stop those spells/abilities

Voracious Hatchling will enter the battlefield with no -1/-1 counters
same for all the persist creatures
the exception to this is if Melira herself persists, she will get a -1/-1 counter when she returns
proud member of the 2011 community team

All of these will be unplayable if you control melira, since you cannot pay the cost of the spell or ability.

On the contrary, it will not enter the battlefield with any -1/-1 counters.
121.6. If a spell or ability refers to a counter being "placed" on a permanent, it means putting a counter on that permanent while it's on the battlefield, or that permanent entering the battlefield with a counter on it as the result of an effect (see rule 614.1c).

Thanks for the info.  

So basically any card the requires a -1/-1 counter be placed on it for some effect to occur actually has to have the counter land, not just be attempted to be placed and fail? Melira will negate all of those sort of effects?

you can't pay costs that include putting -1/-1 counters on creatures, so it will stop those spells/abilities

Voracious Hatchling will enter the battlefield with no -1/-1 counters
same for all the persist creatures
the exception to this is if Melira herself persists, she will get a -1/-1 counter when she returns

Thanks! i got it now.  APpreciate all the quick replies!
That depends. Costs, that include the placing of -1/-1 counters are unpayable with Melira out, so such spells/abilities cannot be paid for and thus cannot be cast/activated. Effects, that attempt to place -1/-1 counters will simply fail on this part of their instructions, but anything else will still happen as best as possible.
So basically any card the requires a -1/-1 counter be placed on it for some effect to occur actually has to have the counter land, not just be attempted to be placed and fail? Melira will negate all of those sort of effects?

if it is a cost you can't activate/cast the ability/spell
if it is just an effect like the trigger from Skinrender you can use it on your own creatures, it will just have no effect

thanks all - much clearer now.
note: sources with wither or infect that deal damage to a creature will fail to put on counters, but the damage is still dealt
this could matter if the source also had lifelink or deathtouch 

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

just thought of a combo and wanted to confirm if it would work.

If you have a nantuko husk, melira, sylvok outcast, and a murderous redcap out on the board, could you sack the redcap infinitely as a win con?
sure, not infinitely as it's not a mandatory loop, but you could do it repeatedly until your opponents' life dropped to below 1

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

just thought of a combo and wanted to confirm if it would work.

If you have a nantuko husk, melira, sylvok outcast, and a murderous redcap out on the board, could you sack the redcap infinitely as a win con?

yes, that is a popular Modern combo
usually with Birthing Pod to find the pieces and Viscera Seer as the sac outlet
right on - thanks again!